Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#128914 - 12/02/01 09:14 PM Re: A confession
Anonymous
Unregistered

Fishin Fool, the survival rates of snagged fish released are likely to be higher than fish C&R'd that were hooked deeply. The rates of survival of snagged fish are fairly good. I would really think that snagged fish release rate of survival would be higher than the rate of such a fisher catching a legal one to take from the river; by a long shot in most cases. So yes, my opinion would be that he is doing the fishery more good by releasing snagged fish in the long run. Would you advocate a new rule for fisher's to keep the first one or two fish they caught, regardless of whether snagged or not, and have to quit fishing with that one or two fish limit? Some have suggested that as an alternative. If you agree with that, by what means would you commend that as a better fish management method? I would certainly disdain having to keep snagged fish.

Hntnfsh, I agree with a lot of the principle in your latest post just above. But one place I disagree: we aren't trying to clean up anyone else's house. We are trying to clean up our backyard. In this case 'our backyard' is all the public rivers and the fishing within them.

I also am starting to see what some guys have said about trying to change snagging mindset - it's kinda like farting in a whirlwind, and doesn't get ya far. ... Out.

#128915 - 12/02/01 09:46 PM Re: A confession
Float Fishin Fool Offline
Alevin

Loc: Tacoma
I've seen alot of post stating that one snagged fish doesn't make any difference on a fishery. I have to strongly disagree with that position. If everybody thought this way then the number of snagged fish bonked would significantly increase. I don't understand how people think that they don't make an impact with their actions.

As far as snagging goes, if there is enough fish stacked in a hole to snag them, is it unreasonable to think that you can getafew to bite in the course of the day? I have only fished for about 10 years and by no means am I an expert, but in my experience getting a fish to bite is anything but impossible.

There are many problems when it comes to the snagging of fish and if your not part of the solution than your part of the problem. Salmon and Steelhead are a valuabel resource and we are very lucky to have the privaledge of fishing for them. If we are to continue to have strong runs of salmon in the future we must act respectful to the environment and the salmon themselves. I do not feel that snagging of any kind should be accepted or justified.

Just my opinion on the whole issue

FFF

#128917 - 12/02/01 10:07 PM Re: A confession
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm not condemning you Dave but your reasoning makes no sense. You ask what the difference is between taking you snagged limit and everyone else taking their legally hooked limit. As far as numbers go you have a point but if everyone took this approach and the scenes that are typical during the fall runs on Eagle Creek and the Washougal would become the norm or as RT put it total chaos.
I was out of work during the Reagan years and have eaten welfare cheese and even used food stamps but never felt compelled to break any laws. The point is that someone even more destitute than you are can still get food
for his family so the easy meal concept is groundless. I am wondering what is it you are after Dave? Do you merely want to confess or are you looking for justification? If the majority of people said it's okay to keep a snagged fish would you then be okay with it and feel better about it? In the end though I'm afraid I would have to turn you in if I saw you keep a snagged fish Dave...sorry you not above the law.

[ 12-02-2001: Message edited by: STEWY ]

#128918 - 12/02/01 10:42 PM Re: A confession
Les Johnson Offline
Parr

Loc: Seattle, Washington, King Coun...
Somehow the legitmate need to feed one's family should be more closely aligned with finding a decent job -- even if you have to move to a new city -- rather than reduce the situation to the justification of snagging salmon. I find it hard to believe how very low we have fallen in our effort to justify catching and killing fish by essentially hanging the guilt for this bazarre behavior on our kids.
If a fishery is open it is simple: you catch the fish in question legally, take them home and eat them. If not you don't fish.

Les Johnson

#128919 - 12/02/01 11:38 PM Re: A confession
Pitch Pocket Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Portland, OR
Interestingly enough, Grant McComie (sp?) had an article on tv tonight about game poaching and snagging. The ODFW agent quoted on the show said that it just comes down to greed. That pretty much says it all. A very basic human trait, unchecked and without regard for the rules that society applies to the taking of fish and game.

I suppose that if and/or when you get busted, you can plead hardship. You can explain to your wife and kids why your fishing gear was confiscated and the family's bank account has been evicerated to pay your fines.

Keeping snagged fish is illegal and in disregard for the rules. I for one am doing my part by releasing any snagged fish. I hope most of you do the same.

#128920 - 12/02/01 11:50 PM Re: A confession
Leadslinger Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Wa,USA
Right on RT.
I have nothing against you Dave.I would fish with you.I strongly disagree with you,though.
Look,you make decent money.It's hard for me to sympathize with you being stuck in a house that is too big.Rent a room or sell?
You went sportfishing,not snagging for food,remember?Few people,if any,starve to death in this country especially with your income.

I don't claim to be perfect and make my share of mistakes,I don't look down my nose on anybody.I can usually admit my mistakes to myself,though.

This is a no brainer,folks.It's illegal and is illegal for a good reason.

For Dave,and those who want to carry the snagger banner,to an even greater extreme than Dave,the first step is to admit,to yourself,that you are wrong .The second is to release that illegal fish.It won't hurt and you'll probably feel pretty good about it.

#128921 - 12/03/01 12:22 AM Re: A confession
Dave Jackson Offline
Spawner

Loc: Milwaukie, OR
I'm done with this thread. My intent was to cause people to think and, largely, I believe that I was successful with those who were able to do such.

Some of the debate was good, some was not. Many things that were said surprised me, but the sources usually did not so go figure. Knowing what I know about some of them makes their comments that much more...interesting.

For those who supported the spirit of the debate, whether you agreed with me or not, thank you. It was good reading.
Get Bent Tackle wh&#333;re. Just added spinner section, where you can special order to your hearts content!

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Schmidtm, schmidty, Spinhead
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 337 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645410 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |