Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#129320 - 12/04/01 10:01 PM Didja know?........Steelhead trivia
Anonymous
Unregistered

Didja know that steelhead used to range as far south as the Tijuana River in Baja California?

#129321 - 12/04/01 10:08 PM Re: Didja know?........Steelhead trivia
local_hooker Offline
Alevin

Loc: oregon
last time I saw the TJ river, a carp couldn't survive in it.

#129322 - 12/04/01 11:38 PM Re: Didja know?........Steelhead trivia
AllThumz Offline
Fry

Loc: Albany, Oregon
I heard it's now full of "Brown Trout" laugh

John smile

#129323 - 12/04/01 11:44 PM Re: Didja know?........Steelhead trivia
Anonymous
Unregistered

One of Portland's Latanzi brothers did an article for STS on Malibu Creek, sometime in the 90's I think. He did a survey on the few steelhead that still make it back there. Geez, that's right down there with the Beach Boys and surfer girls in north L.A. area. Not many coming back though, and they have to wait for a rare rain to get up into the creek. No fishing allowed.

I should know this trivia but I can't remember - who named these fish "steelhead", and why?

#129324 - 12/05/01 12:18 PM Re: Didja know?........Steelhead trivia
Preston Singletary Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Seattle, WA USA
Wouldn't it be great to think that it was some sort of poetic reference to the appearance of a fresh-run fish? The usual (and probably true) explanation is that the name was given to them in the early days by commercial fishermen. The steelhead's bones, including his skull are substantially heavier and stronger than those of other salmon species and consequently required an extra whack or two.

#129325 - 12/05/01 01:44 PM Re: Didja know?........Steelhead trivia
4Salt Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Lynnwood, WA
That's the story I heard as well. Ever had a bonked brat suddenly come back to life and almost flop back in the river after 10 to 15 minutes?

#129326 - 12/05/01 03:54 PM Re: Didja know?........Steelhead trivia
Skywalker Offline
Spawner

Loc: Snohomish, WA, USA
My guess on the name thing is just what it sounds like, they gots a hard noggin'!

Back in the old days, before George Boldt, and before I knew better, I worked in a fish processing plant. The occasional steelhead was dressed out just like the salmon, head removed with a butcher knife cut through the brain. They have a REALLY hard head, plain as that.

#129327 - 12/06/01 04:45 PM Re: Didja know?........Steelhead trivia
Krome Brite Offline
Spawner

Loc: Washougal, WA
Shoot, I read an article one time that I thought said steelhead were abundantly present in a stream down in South America. I thought that's where it was? I know it was another country anyway. confused

#129328 - 12/07/01 12:52 AM Re: Didja know?........Steelhead trivia
bodysurf Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: olympia
i think there's a 'steelhead' enhancement project going on at the marine base in san diego. from what i've heard the fish are more like the half-pounder variety.

#129329 - 12/07/01 06:11 PM Re: Didja know?........Steelhead trivia
bodysurf Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: olympia
i'm not sure about steelhead in south america but i know there are sea-run browns there. they were introduced there,especially on the atlantic side in argentina. the rivers didn't seem to have a whole bunch of food to support them so a large chunk started to migrate to the ocean. from what i've heard and read it's turned into a killer fishery there now when they return to spawn,lots of fish and big ones too,twenty and thirty pound fish seem pretty common.if you've got the cash they have guided trips there and for fly fishers especially it's sounds like one of those once in a lifetime kinda experiences.no one around and great fishin'. i think they're in rivers all they way down to patagonia.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Carcassman, Clipfin, Danny Clyde, Dannyboy, dk1948, Twitch
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
4 registered (steely slammer, wolverine, 2 invisible), 941 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645366 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |