Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#129944 - 12/11/01 05:24 PM Re: floaters -vs- bankies
silver hilton Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Out there, somewhere
I'm up for taking some folks out. I just retired, have a bad ol' boat that needs more rods out the back, and I can't find guys to fish during the week, when I prefer to go. Interested parties send mail. Unfortunately, I can't go weekends, due to kid responsibilities.

#129945 - 12/11/01 07:31 PM Re: floaters -vs- bankies
PhishPhreak Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: North Bend, WA
How about a "take a boater bank fishing" day? I'm sure we'd get a big turnout for that!! (:
Or how about "take a fly fisherman plunking" day? Hmmm.

Actually that sounds like a great idea (not mine - the other one...).

I'm a 'big brother' (Big Brothers of King County) and have been taking my little brother out fishing with me as much as possible. Unfortuneatly, we don't have good 'mojo' together and we usually end up getting skunked. It never fails - i go out by myself or with a buddy and nail fish with 'ease'. A day or week later I'll take out Josh and we get skunked!! He is getting a little turned off to fishing and that is NOT what I had in mind!! One of these days I need to get this kid into some serious fish! I even took him to hood canal and he did catch one fish and snagged another - but that was still pretty sad.
Anyway, I guess I'm thinking that a boat trip - while not a sure thing for fish - would at least be entetaining and fun for him - and fish caught would be an added bonus. Besides - it would be good to learn a few new tricks.

#129946 - 12/12/01 12:46 AM Re: floaters -vs- bankies
chumcatcher Offline
Fry

Loc: snohomish county
As a general rule I haven't had many problems with the boats while fishing from the bank. The one exception was last year. I fished just above Douglas Bar for coho(along with 15 others) and these three nit wits in a 12' boat anchored 40' across from us and proceeded to cast at our feet. I asked the guy if he needed to anchor on top of the fish and cast at us. He calmly replied "I'll fish wherever I f*****g want". Everyone of us tied on 4" BuzzBombs and started bombarding his boat. He made a hasty retreat and anchored on top of a drift boat just downstream. Shortly after there was mention of lead and the three amigos left. I'm stuck on the bank and all I ask is a little respect. Don't anchor up and fish my water. Don't pull plugs tight to us bankies. Going up the middle of the channel is fine. I can just make shorter casts as you troll through. Also please don't come in tight to the bank at full speed. Stay outside of us(if possible). I hate having to climb the bank to get away from the wake. I think most boaters are straight up folks. It is a few people that don't have a clue. But their are bankies that don't have a clue either.

Tight lines

Chumcatcher

#129947 - 12/12/01 02:49 AM Re: floaters -vs- bankies
SeaMeantGuy Offline
Fry

Loc: localrivers&streams
I really have no problems with the boaters when I bank fish, and the same is true the other way too. I've let guys( and guides ) work their plugs and or boondog around me. What's 5 or 6 minutes. I use this time to check leaders, hook sharpness etc. One boater on the Sandy commented how most people give him the "stink eye" when he passes by, gear out or not. I replied that I too have to work for a living, and had no problem sharing the slot with him. Nobody hooked fish, but it was still friendly. Most people think boats have the whole river to fish, but what if all the spots are filled ? I think we can all share. Well at least most of us most of the time.
The only thing I ask when I'm drifting is that the bankies stop casting for 20 seconds to leet me float by. So far everyone has been pretty good about this too. I don't think common courtesy is too much to ask. After all we're all after the same goal.....FISH ON !!!! laugh

Chris cool

#129948 - 12/12/01 09:59 AM Re: floaters -vs- bankies
Straydog Offline
Parr

Loc: Grants Pass, Or.
Interesting thread and good to se this topic being aired out a bit.

I fish from my sled, from friends drift boats and from the bank.... "Just Fish!" is my motto!
I agree with Chumcatcher's attitude and idea of the right way to go.

Common sense approaches usually work pretty well.

I would add that comments and attitude before approaching a hole with bank fishermen working it can really affect how an encounter will go.

Remember, especially if in a boat, that sound carries over water very well. If I am bank fishing a hole and a boat approaches from a couple hundred yards above and I hear "Oh #(&^%#%$!!, there's a #&^@%$% Bank Maggot in my hole!" I am not going to be Mr. Sunny Delight when you get down to my location. I am not a maggot and I will not be nice if you call me one, to my face or upriver an eighth of a mile.

Also, bank anglers need to be aware of some laws of physics...... if I am moving upstream in my sled, it matters not how slow I go, there will be a wake. It's that two opposing forces and action and reaction stuff you know.

And, it would be helpful if there were universal "rules" of the river. On the Rogue, my home river, it seems the guys in the lower river would rather I stay on plain and get the heck through (I agree) while the folks on the upper river expect you to slow down to crawl speed at every encounter.... if we can't figure out what will make each other happy on one river, how are we gonna figure from river to river?

#129949 - 12/12/01 10:21 AM Re: floaters -vs- bankies
Seacat Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Duvall, WA
Way to go BigDog and Silver! I hope that your generous offers to take some other PP members fishin' comes back to you in spades, ehh...fins!!! smile

I really think that this is a super way to come together as a fishing community. Excellent idea. laugh

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Born2Boat, Dirk Mc Girk, Frankster, Oz-fish, starfisher
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 335 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |