LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#130494 - 12/13/01 10:50 PM High Water Mark RCW??????
Cruise Control Offline
Fry

Loc: Walla Walla, WA
okay, ya'll know how some states let you fish anywhere on a river as long as its below the flood mark? i was curious to know if WA was like that? do any of you know what rcw says you can't do that here? i'm pretty sure you can't but i was just curious because i'm in an activity at my school called "youth in government" and i want to make up a law (of course its fake) that states you can fish anywhere on private property as long as your below the high water mark. so, yeah, if anybody has any info on a rcw or anything, that would be great!
thanx!

#130495 - 12/14/01 01:27 AM Re: High Water Mark RCW??????
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
CC,

Here are a couple of links to discussions on this BB about this topic, including all the laws about it.

Send me an e-mail if you have any questions about it.

Link One Link Two

Fish on...

Todd.

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#130496 - 12/14/01 05:37 AM Re: High Water Mark RCW??????
bentpole Offline
Juvenille at Sea

if you can post a breif on that I've heard of alot of fight's because land owner's claim trespassing.

can't we all just get along smile

#130497 - 12/14/01 01:34 PM Re: High Water Mark RCW??????
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
At the risk of repeating everything that's in the above links, here's the general story.

For the most part, the state owns the land underneath navigable waterways, from shore to shore between the mean high water marks.

Practically speaking, that means that it's OK to drop anchor in a river, and it's OK to wade down the river within those bounds. Many landowners do not understand that, and problems do arise. It's easy to see their point, however, since there are just enough litterbugs out there to make a mess of almost everywhere.

That said, this is only a general rule. In some instances the state has indeed sold the ground under the river, too. An example that comes to mind is the Icicle River near Leavenworth. Where the river borders on private property, the owners own the ground to the middle of the river. Wading or dropping anchor would be trespassing. However, they don't own the water, so drifting or rowing is OK.

Technically speaking, you'd even be trespassing if your bait or weight hit the bottom, but I've sure not heard of anyone complaining about that one.

The technicalities and the specific laws and legal principles are pretty well discussed in the links above.

Fish on...

Todd.

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#130498 - 12/15/01 08:08 PM Re: High Water Mark RCW??????
Cruise Control Offline
Fry

Loc: Walla Walla, WA
hey thanx guys for responding, these links are just what i needed! fish on!

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
CHUBS
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (Carcassman), 1080 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645302 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |