THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#131345 - 12/21/01 01:09 PM Published photo in STS!
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
Yeah, I wish!

Honestly, though, it's one of my ultimate goals to get one of my photos published in STS. I refuse to wear a STS hat, so I have to take the alternative approach.

Maybe people like FP can help me here. He seems to take a good shot. Without playing a fish to near death, how does one haul a fish half out of water, expect it to just lay there, and get that Perfect Shot with the fish next to the fish rod for perspective?

Here's my latest attempt at one of those "live fish, just caught, calmly sitting out of water and awaiting a photo" photos. Um....needless to say, I failed. wink

Unfortunately for me, they say you are your own worst critic! wink

#131346 - 12/21/01 01:34 PM Re: Published photo in STS!
Extreme Offline
Smolt

Loc: Ridgefield, WA.
Parker....that's a hilarious "key" you have on your photo there. I've seen some of your photos and think you do a very good job.
For me, in order to get the "Perfect Photo" to have enlarged or whatever, I take 3 photos. Then I use the best of the 3 for the enlargement. If the fish is going to be released, I keep a close watch on the fish and only place its' head out of the water right before the camera clicks for the shot. As you know, you can line up all your scenary, place the angler, etc. without removing the fishes head from the water until the camera is ready to shoot.
They make great Christmas presents for fishing buddies.
Again though, funny shot above.
x laugh

#131347 - 12/21/01 02:40 PM Re: Published photo in STS!
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
parker,

Keep trying.....all it takes is lots of film. laugh

A couple things:

Use slow film and compensate with flash when necessary.

Many mags prefer pics taken on slide film.

Think numbers. The more pics you click, the better the chance that one of them will be "the" photo. It's not always the one you think will be good that turns out being good.

There's no glory in being behind the camera.....being in front of the camera is more glamorous! laugh

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#131348 - 12/21/01 03:21 PM Re: Published photo in STS!
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

film? What's that?

#131349 - 12/21/01 03:23 PM Re: Published photo in STS!
JacobF Offline
Spawner

Loc: Post Falls, ID

Here's a good pic of a buck steelie I caught in the Snoqualmie.

#131350 - 12/21/01 08:20 PM Re: Published photo in STS!
fp Offline
Old Duffer

Loc: Hoquiam,WA.USA

Parker, I take alot of pictures but usually only one of each fish that we catch. I try to do a minimal amount of handleing of the fish. Snap and letem' go.. I really enjoy takeing a picture and then let them swim away. Gots lots of dead fish pictures too, but I like the releasers better. I have several thousand pictures and like to play with them. Thank you BOB for letting us do just that. Just try to get the lighting behind me and always use the flash.
After each trip I then send the pictures via email, to my clients, that have email, and they always seem to enjoy them when they get home.

Now, I also enjoy your captions on the pictures you send in. How do I get a function on my PC that will do that? And why are you always in the picture?jk...I never get in one. Betcha I could find a way to spend more time on my pictures. I can see it now, massive backlashes, limbs landed, rocks landed, broken rods and me sleeping, or clients sleeping while we should be paying more attention.
Having fun is whats it's all about and hope nobody gets tired of seeing a few.fp

#131351 - 12/21/01 10:15 PM Re: Published photo in STS!
Krome Brite Offline
Spawner

Loc: Washougal, WA
Hey Parker, I'm confused. I thought that was you on page 31 of the Dec/Jan STS? That guy looks a hell of lot like you IMO if it isn't you. Your twin brother perhaps? confused

#131352 - 12/21/01 10:27 PM Re: Published photo in STS!
navigator Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Sequim, WA
Hey Jacob F,Nice pink worm!!!! I gotta get a fish on one soon. I just keep trying, it'l work sometime.

#131353 - 12/22/01 01:49 AM Re: Published photo in STS!
JacobF Offline
Spawner

Loc: Post Falls, ID
Quote:
Originally posted by navigator:
Hey Jacob F,Nice pink worm!!!! I gotta get a fish on one soon. I just keep trying, it'l work sometime.

Wow, it does kind of look like a worm doesn't it? It's actually a pink fur jig.

#131354 - 12/22/01 05:00 AM Re: Published photo in STS!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Parker,
That fish just didnt whant to cooperate.

Could'nt start my recon yesterday as we had a blow out on the way to the river and it ruined out trip. Dont think it mattered anyways as we didnt start our day till about noon and I heard that the Bogie was a complete madhouse. Fifty boats from the dimmel drift to the tall timbers hole.

In about 4 hours I will be doing a little Nate recon on a less crowded drift on a river to the north. We will be floating Bear Creek so im expecting a few less boats than the hatchery run on the Bogie.

Weather willing we will have round 2 of Parker and Rich G on the OP late next week. Dont expect me to let you catch all the fish like last time though.

If we are lucky we will have a few more nates in the mix by the time you come back.

#131355 - 12/22/01 09:18 AM Re: Published photo in STS!
Skywalker Offline
Spawner

Loc: Snohomish, WA, USA
fp, that water running off of that fish in your shot is key. You can't hold it out of the water for long and still get that effect.

Unless, of course, you like to dip 'em again right before you take the shot. wink

#131356 - 12/22/01 11:58 AM Re: Published photo in STS!
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Krome - Heck no that ain't me!!! My twin? Guess I don't see the similarities there. Look at that picture again. Notice that both he and the fish have that same glazed-eyes look. Too funny!

F/P - I usually try to get the person I'm fishing with to take a photo when I get a fishy. Some turn out OK, some don't. I've got a lot of "misses". Oh well.

#131357 - 12/22/01 03:45 PM Re: Published photo in STS!
Salmo g. Online   content
River Nutrients

Parker,

First things first. It isn't for me to tell you how to run your life, but as ultimate goals go, I sure hope better for you. While STS is many rungs up the journalistic ladder from F&H News, it remains pretty much a "kiss & tell" fishing rag. You might aim higher and consider a quality publication.

As for photos, consider a short course in photography if you're serious. Key points that editors look for (or so I'm told):
1) Pictures of people are more interesting than those without. A photo of someone playing a fish that cannot be seen (action shot) appeals more than one of a live or dead fish laying on the gravel bar. Of course, if the photo includes the angler and the fish (jumping) then that's one of the best.
2) Divide the frame into thirds, either vertically or horizontally. For some reason, the human eye is attracted to that.
3) Don't avoid diagonal lines in the photo either. That can break up the frame as well as horizontal or vertical lines. (A diagonal rod in an arc as a fish is played can work well for this shot.)

There are lots of techniques to turn "snapshots" into "photos." BTW, I don't follow my own advice often either. I'm usually fishing solo and have more shots of fish laying at my feet in shallow water than I ever want to look at again.

Sincerely,

Salmo g.

#131358 - 12/22/01 06:00 PM Re: Published photo in STS!
R Ridgeway Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Seattle

Bogie Pair

#131359 - 12/22/01 11:21 PM Re: Published photo in STS!
RPetzold Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Everett, Wa
Quote:
Originally posted by Salmo g.:
2) Divide the frame into thirds, either vertically or horizontally. For some reason, the human eye is attracted to that.

The power of 3!! The triangle is considered the strongest shape in the universe and many elements of design, art and anything visual revolves around 3's and triangles.

#131360 - 12/22/01 11:27 PM Re: Published photo in STS!
Anonymous
Unregistered

All I can say is skunked. Three guys in the boat and two bites all day. Oh yeah, I think I got frost bite in my toes too. We even went to the Bogie after Bear Creek and still nothin not even a bite.

#131361 - 12/22/01 11:50 PM Re: Published photo in STS!
buddyduc Offline
Alevin

Loc: Forks
You cannot get a good picture of a steelhead you are going to release with the fish NOT being harmed no matter how hard you try! More of the proponents to C&R are advocating taking a picture of the pretty little fish. Either after it has been netted, pulled up on the beach or completely wore out on the end of the line!
We all know that to properly turn a fish loose we need to land it as quickly as possible..... handle it none or very little and get it swimming free as sson as possible.....right? Take a picture of it in the water or leave the camera at home.

#131362 - 12/23/01 01:08 AM Re: Published photo in STS!
$$B-MONEY$$ Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Eastside,Wa
I totally disagree Buddyduc!!! Maybe taking pics is bad news if your trying to strike a pose for a minute or two with a fish. I do agree that you should land fish ASAP! When landed keep the fish in the water until you're ready, hold the steelie up, take pic, let mr steelie go! A good rule of thumb is hold your own breath while handling the fish, if u need air so does he!

Vision Pro Staff
www.visionhooksandtackle.com

#131363 - 12/23/01 02:16 AM Re: Published photo in STS!
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
bduc,

Sorry, but that's a load of crap. Standing around with a fish in your hands while your buddy digs for the camera, adjusts the focus and light meter, has you change poses, etc. is bad for a fish. Leaving the fish in the water while the camera is being readied, and then a quick lift and snap a couple frames is not a big deal. The photo lasts a lifetime, and the fish suffers no harm if you do it right. This whole idea that any handling of a fish will lead to its death sounds like some PETA bull$hit line to me. That doesn't mean you should drag a fish you intend to release into the sand, across the rocks, drop it in the boat and let it flail around, or play it until it bellies up. But making it sound like if you take a photo of a fish you release is sentencing them to death is a little flaky if you ask me.

Just out of curiosity, what do you think of statewide mandatory release of wild steelhead?

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#131364 - 12/23/01 06:39 AM Re: Published photo in STS!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Salmo G:
Quote:
... it [STS] remains pretty much a "kiss & tell" fishing rag. You might aim higher and consider a quality publication.

Whoa S.F., did they decline to publish your picture or what? wink Remember that 2 STS columnists are active members here, Bill Herzog and myself. Bill reads more, I post more. That was a slap in our faces, and many others as well. What you've incorrectly portrayed STS as would be like me saying your NMFS is a devious gutless rag doll that's told when, where, and how high to jump by NW Indians and money hungry Wash. D.C. bureaucrats intent on taking funds away from fish restoration to make the rich even richer. Only that portrayal is more accurate than yours. ...

What magazine that focus's mostly on NW salmon and steelhead fishing is a better magazine than STS? ... It remains very popular among serious NW and mid-west fishers. ... And consider the paint joke explaination before putting that all on STS.

RT

Edit: Now in keeping with upcoming efforts to improve the demeanor of the BB, my post here is a good example of a bit of an over-reation. But instead if editing it down, I'll leave it up as an example to improve upon. (Hope Salmo will too next time.)

[ 12-23-2001: Message edited by: RT ]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
landcruiserwilly, Tom Trune
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
3 registered (steely slammer, Carcassman, 1 invisible), 333 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645369 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |