Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#132038 - 12/28/01 05:57 PM Worms with feathers
Coot Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Kelowna British Columbia
Being a long term flyfisher I believe that flies give many lures an additional advantage of more lifelike action in the water and allow a greater range of colour and texture.
One of my favourites is a short shank hook with a spey style hackle on the shank and a sheath of crystal flash over the hackle. I`m convinced that the fish hold on just a little longer when this fly has a short 3"pink worm added to the hook.
coot[img]http://D:\Snappy\Pictures\wormfly.JPG;[/img]

#132039 - 12/28/01 10:38 PM Re: Worms with feathers
steelheadaddict01 Offline
Smolt

Loc: Kaizer OR, formerly MT and WA
I think you could definitely patent that idea! wink wink wink :p wink

#132040 - 12/29/01 06:49 PM Re: Worms with feathers
Anonymous
Unregistered

Another good idea Coot. Thanks. A few guys down this way are using a bit of pink worm to tip jigs or spinners with good success. The way I most often fish the pink worm is on a jighook that has a feather collar, or hackle, just behind the jig head. Then I wire the worm up the hook and snug it to those feathers. It's just a deadly productive way to fish these worms for steelhead - and salmon too.

RT

#132041 - 12/29/01 08:16 PM Re: Worms with feathers
Coot Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Kelowna British Columbia
Hi RT: As an oldtimer I fished flies with small spinners and found them to be very productive. Currently I have reduced my flys for lures to two patterns. The one described in my post on this thread (I have put a jpeg on the visitors board) and a shrimp head pattern which is designed to be fished with shrimp bags plus a small spin and glow. I simply tie grey sqirrel and black bear feelers with crystal flash,add a pony bead head with painted eyes,and srink a shrimp bag and spin and glow on the leader. I`ll stic a jpeg on the board
The basic fly shown in the worm pic can be fished with pink worm ,with a corky, or with a small spinner to good advantage.

#132042 - 12/30/01 12:27 PM Re: Worms with feathers
Osprey Offline
Spawner

Loc: Osprey Acres /Olympja
Great Idea Coot,I've been fishing a Schlappen and or Hackle collared Jig with myn worms for a long time now.I've found that by dreesing up that worm attimes it can make all the difference.
I prefer contrasting colors,Try the styles at Silent Approach and First cast Jigs,both are very productive....tight lines...Os

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
landcruiserwilly, Tom Trune
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 274 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |