LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#132196 - 12/31/01 11:20 AM Newsflash!! Tadpollies in chains, Little Cleo in treble.
Captain Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Enumclaw, Washington, USA
I have seen a few posts discussing adding a chain extension on the belly of a tadpolly. I have a couple questions when you do this. What size chain dow you use? Do you reuse the treble or replace with a siwash. If you replace the hook(s), what size hook9s) do you use? Does it matter if the hook is placed up or down?

In regards to Little Cleos, what size do you prefer. Do you remove the treble hooks and replace with siwash. If so what size do you use?

I am tired of missing fish or getting a few head shakes and nothing. mad

By addressing this issue I may increase my hookup rate.

Thanks for your advice.

Captain

#132197 - 12/31/01 01:18 PM Re: Newsflash!! Tadpollies in chains, Little Cleo in treble.
spoonman Offline
Parr

Loc: kent,wa
On the little cleos I do replace the treble with a swiash. Try a 1/0 for the 2/5th of oz and have the hook pointing towards the bottom this increases the hook striking area. Info is from Herzog's spoon book. Suggest that you buy it if you spoon fish.

#132198 - 12/31/01 02:51 PM Re: Newsflash!! Tadpollies in chains, Little Cleo in treble.
RiverMan Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: oregon
Captain,

I remove both the small factory hooks on the tads and replace just the back one with an oversized treble. I think the size I use is about a number 2. Keep the treble very sharp and you will lose very few fish from my experience. Talk to Sauk about this one, he's great help. Good luck.

RM

#132199 - 12/31/01 03:06 PM Re: Newsflash!! Tadpollies in chains, Little Cleo in treble.
Captain Offline
Returning Adult

Thanks for you replies. I will try these techniques on my next outing. I have all of Herzog's books. Guess I'll have to find time to read them! laugh

Captain

Quote:
No one knows as much as all of us!

#132200 - 12/31/01 03:16 PM Re: Newsflash!! Tadpollies in chains, Little Cleo in treble.
Cigar Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Shoreline, Wa.
Captain,

Riverman is right on. The Kid Sauk put me on to
this set up last year. Use a size 2 EWG trebble
and you will get both head shakes and the fish. laugh laugh

Cigar smile

#132201 - 12/31/01 06:12 PM Re: Newsflash!! Tadpollies in chains, Little Cleo in treble.
Kid Sauk Offline
I'm a freak'n CAKE

Loc: Almost on the beach
That's a funny heading, Captain laugh

Cigar is right about the hook setups for Tad's. Either run a wide gap treble or standard treble in a size #2 right off the one split ring at the tail. 86 the belly hook and split ring. You can also opt for a 2/0 Vision siwash and two split rings off the tail so the hook point rides up.

Screw the idea of belly bead chains on anything but Wiggle Warts if you ask me.

As far as the spoons go, I have been testing the 1/0 and 2/0 Vision siwash hooks on the Cleo's and Mortacs. Herzog taught me a neat trick last spring in which he offset the Siwash hook by bending it "slightly" inward and to the side. Seems to work well for me to wink

[ 12-31-2001: Message edited by: Kid Sauk ]

My name is Kiiiiiiiiiiiiiiddddd.....
KID SAUK!!!!!

#132202 - 12/31/01 08:36 PM Re: Newsflash!! Tadpollies in chains, Little Cleo in treble.
Captain Offline
Returning Adult

Kid Sauk and Cigar - thanks for the reply. I'm on it like a cop on a doughnut. Looking forward to using this technique next time out. I have heard of bending the hook in and to the side before, maybe it was in STS in Herzog's column. Again thanks for the help. Will keep you posted.

Captain

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Carcassman, Clipfin, Danny Clyde, Dannyboy, dk1948, Twitch
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 993 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645361 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |