Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#132254 - 01/16/01 08:47 PM tipping your fishing guide
escapee Offline
Spawner

Loc: Marysville, Wa., USA
how do you feel about tipping your fishing guide? what is an acceptable tip for a guide who is on his own compared to a guide working out of a lodge? for the sake of this conversation we will assume the guide has done a good job of guiding. if you reply, are or were you ever a guide? thanks for your input!

#132255 - 01/16/01 10:12 PM Re: tipping your fishing guide
drift boat Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Renton WA
Yes I am a part time guide but have been on more guide trips than most. I feel if they do a good job of trying to get you a fish and answer your questions then yes they should get a tip.If all they do is run you up and down the river and look at there watch then no. When my wife go's with me and we have a good guide we give around $40.00

------------------
rip some lips

#132256 - 01/16/01 11:10 PM Re: tipping your fishing guide
R Gray Offline
Alevin

Loc: Bellingham, Washington
as a full time guide and lodge owner I will try to give you some insight about the subject of tipping. The avarage tip for a guide is twenty dollars per person per day. That would be for both salt and fresh water.
My feeling on that is if the owner of the lodge or charter is guideing you, they are putting in the same effort or even more. so it is nice to see the tip too. some people tip a lot more than that. If you stay at a full service lodge the tipping usually works out to ten percent of the package price. The lodge staff gets taken care of, with the lions share going to the guide. If you are not happy with the service you recieve, make sure you tell the owners or the manager. If you don't, They may not even know there is a problem. I hope this helps.
Tight lines
R Gray

#132257 - 01/16/01 11:59 PM Re: tipping your fishing guide
JohnnyCoho Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Rockport,WA,USA
escapee,
As a full time guide this is one of my least favorite subjects to talk about and one I never bring up, as a rule. I am quite often asked this question by clients as to how much or what is the norm on tiping. Makes Ya feel pretty uncomfortable when asked and is one of the reasons I put basic guide lines for Gratuities on my web site.
Basically in a nut shell what I put on my site is: "Gratuities are somewhat of a personal nature and should be gauged on your level of satisfaction. Over the years the average has been between 10-20% of your trip value. Again, this is only a guidline and know that whatever you leave will be greatly appreciated."

"Life is short. Never pass up a hug. Look children in the eye when you talk to them. Bend the rules. Forgive quickly. Kiss slowly. Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile."

#132258 - 01/17/01 11:54 AM Re: tipping your fishing guide
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

Loc: Hobart,Wa U.S.A
I've been on plenty of guided trips in the past six years and have developed some what of a pay scale to tip the guide.
If the guide greets you with a smile and or a joke,he puts you on your two fish,and was fun to be with for that 8-10 hr day and splits the eggs 50/50 then you should tip them around $40.00 to $50.00 bucks.I'm not rich!!!!.If the guide is an average guy,ok to be with for 8 hrs or so,gets ya a fish or two,then tip around $20.00 to $25.00 bucks.
If the guide has no personality,didn't seem to care to much about any thing,was done right at 7 1/2 to 8 hrs,managed to get one fish and demanded all the eggs,then I would
have a hard time giving him the $150.00 bucks,let a lone giving a tip or referring him out to any one else.I don't think there is to big of tip or to small of a tip.It's what you can afford considering the quality of the trip and how much it's already cost you to just get there.Good luck,
STRIKE ZONE

#132259 - 01/17/01 02:20 PM Re: tipping your fishing guide
JohnnyCoho Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Rockport,WA,USA
StrikeZone,
Sorry Brah but I have to disagree with you on the egg thing. If legal to fish eggs I do so for pretty much 1/2 the day or more. If you were to catch a "hatchery" hen in my boat then I get the eggs, unless of coarse I already have enough of them to last me for a while then by all means you can have them all. I dont replentish my egg stock from buying them from the tribes and depend on getting them from fish caught while guiding. I hope you will understand this!
Now a question for you: If your guide busts his arse all day for you and does his absolute best to get you on fish but you dont come away with any heads, then what?
As many guys in here that have fished with me in the past can tell you I will work my arse off for fish but when its a hit or miss season like this ones turned out to be, you dont always come away with fish.
J----<")(\(\(\)>{

"Life is short. Never pass up a hug. Look children in the eye when you talk to them. Bend the rules. Forgive quickly. Kiss slowly. Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile."

#132260 - 01/17/01 03:09 PM Re: tipping your fishing guide
Last Cast Offline
Smolt

Loc: Sumner Wa.
As far as tips go it is exactly that a tip if you want to give one fill free to do so and if not then do not.

#132261 - 01/17/01 04:14 PM Re: tipping your fishing guide
drift boat Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Renton WA
I myself think that if a person will do there home work and ask the right things before going out on a trip you will already know if the fishing is hot or cold. I also check with other people while going with a guide to see if they are worth the time and money. This way if I have a bad trip it is just as much on me as them. As for the eggs they always go to the guide.

------------------
rip some lips

#132262 - 01/17/01 04:25 PM Re: tipping your fishing guide
B. Gray Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle, WA USA
The first guided trip I took was on the hump for fall Kings. The place was a madhouse full of boats, it rained sideways a good part of the day and the fishing stunk. I tipped the guide I think $25-$35. He was enthusiastic, worked his arse off on the sticks, jumped on top of a submerged log to try to get a wrapped fish off and was willing to answer all my stupid questions. It's like any service industry - good service gets rewarded.

If the guide is a sourpuss, complains of being tired and working too much and blasts you down the river then use your own judgement.

The best thing you can do is some reasearch beforehand on who might be a good guide for a given river. I've fished with some guides only to wish I'd known more about them and their tactics before booking the trip.

Bruce

#132263 - 01/17/01 05:03 PM Re: tipping your fishing guide
Hugh Heffner Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Playboy mansion
I think that a guide deserves a tip based on effort put into the trip. There is a lot more work to be done on a fishless venture than there is when it's push button and quick-limits are in order. If nobody on the river is catching fish because the run is poor, then don't blame the guide if he busts his tail for you and you still come up blank. I have had the pleasure to fish with some of the best guides around, Bob Ball to follow this spring and summer . I always try to tip something, even if I come in fishless just as long as I get a full day. At least $20 per person and up to $50 if you do a CNR thing and you and your guide have to wear a belt by the end of the day to keep your pants up because you've been fishing your ass off!! You are paying for the local knowledge of the guide, if you want fish, buy 'em. It's a lot cheaper but that wouldn't be any fun now, would it?

#132264 - 01/17/01 05:45 PM Re: tipping your fishing guide
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

Loc: Hobart,Wa U.S.A
JohnnyCoho,
If the eggs aren't a 50/50 deal,then I wouldn't be going with you, period.If the guide busts his arse off all day for 8-10 hrs
and there wasn't any heads to come home and was pleasant to be around then yes,a $20.00 to $25.00 tip would come from my pocket.I talk to all the guides I've hired prior to the trip so that there isn't a surprise when it comes to splitting the eggs up.Most trips I've been on I use approx. a half to one whole skein.There are two in a fish,I'm not supplying the next client with eggs it's the guides job.Say there was two clients,My buddy and myself,we caught four nice hens between 20 & 30 pounds Chinook,we probly
only used one whole large chinook skein,your saying no way guide gets all the eggs,"NOT".Good luck,
STRIKE ZONE

#132265 - 01/17/01 05:51 PM Re: tipping your fishing guide
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

I must confess complete ignorance on this one. Tipping seems commonplace to some sectors of the service industry and unknown in others. I thought tips were common to mainly minimum wage service industry jobs like waitresses, the gal that cuts hair in a chain shop, and baggage handlers, and so forth.

I thought a fishing guide was like an independant businessman who sets his rates according to his costs and what the market will bear, much as a plumber, electrician, and the like. I didn't tip the carpenter who built my deck. It never occurred to me to do so. The plumber charges time and a half or double for after hours work, so a kind of a tip is built in. Do you folks tip these service workers?

Then there's the thing about the eggs. I don't fish with eggs, and I haven't hired a guide to fish in fresh water. When fishing the ocean, the guide/skipper provides herring or other bait for fishing. That bait is obtained through purchase, not from prior clients. It cracked me up to read that a guide would expect to keep the eggs from his client's catch. That seems rather cheeky to me and a sure way to discourage repeat business. If I used eggs, I would want to keep them along with the fish they came in. But I guess it's a case of whatever the market will bear.

Sincerely,

Salmo g.

#132266 - 01/17/01 06:19 PM Re: tipping your fishing guide
Coho Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Muk
Here's a tip... Tip your guide. Even if a waitress spilled my brew-I still oblige and tip. My guide may not look as good as that waitress(especially Bob or JohnnyC)-but I appreciate his efforts, and tipping with money or whatever of value you trade-is appreciated. Much prep work is done to make a trip successful-ex. bait,tying leaders, quality equipment. I did guide when I was out of college and my goal was clients having a great experience-Pays off. Not that a guide is going to make your return trip good or bad based on -"Did this guy tip me last time-nope-fishing the frog water today". But, his efforts will probably increase knowing that you appreciated his work. How can a guide encourage tipping without ill effect? "I like Tips" hat.

#132267 - 01/17/01 06:47 PM Re: tipping your fishing guide
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yes I am a guide as you all may or may not know. As far as the tips are concerned tips are welcome they should not be expected. How I look at it is if you hire a guide to take fishing you are looking to learn from the guide so that maybe you might get a few secrets that you may not know already. Whether it be technique, different rivers, or just pumbing him for general knowledge. Also to have a good time. How much is up to you. Generally I will recieve anywhere from $20 to $30 per person. I have recieved more and less but it doesn't matter it's a tip. Normally a guide will put you into fish if there are fish in the river. Sometimes though fishing just isn't easy and we will work are arses off to try and make it happen, but it sometime doesn't. That's must be why they call it fishing! I look at it like this you are out to have a good time with your friend, family, or maybe just by yourself that is what is most important catching fish is a bonus.

As far as the eggs issue goes. How do you think us guides get our eggs? I know that I myself will and do not buy them from the indians. Normally I don't get the opportunity to go fishing for myself very often to acquire enough eggs to last all year. So we relie on the eggs that we catch with our clients. If I have plenty of eggs in stock I will be happy to split them up. You have to remember though Spring Chinook and summer run Steelhead do not have any eggs or should I say fully developed eggs. So we relie on the eggs from our Fall Salmon and winter run Steelhead to supply enough eggs for the rest of the year. Just something to think about. I hope everyone has good experiences with the guides you choose because that is why we are in business for you to have a great time and to put you into some fish.

------------------
Presentation is the key to Success and change can make the difference.www.ChasenADream.com

[This message has been edited by Chasen A Dream (edited 01-17-2001).]

#132268 - 01/17/01 07:12 PM Re: tipping your fishing guide
Hugh Heffner Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Playboy mansion
Salmo g., I am not one to question your reasoning on most fishing-related issues, but I think you are "missing the boat" on this tipping the guide issue. You stated that you don't tip the carpenter, plumber, electrician, and the like, but how often does somebody spend a full day with their plumber exchanging plumbing stories and lauging it up while the plumber is hard at work? "Hey, bubba, that's a pertay funnay story about how ya got that Pee-vee-cee stuck in yer arse underneath that crawl space last time ya worked here. Remember the time th' wife and I hired ya to fix that leaky faucet and we had doubles when you fixed the shower too! That suuurre waz a good day with ya, Bubba."

Please do not categorize fishing guides with service workers. Most guides fish with clients as a labor of love on a part time basis and have other means of income. Guides often specify that clients get 8 hours of guided fishing, but how often do they prorate it when it runs to 9, 10, or even 12 hours. That's where the tip comes in. Full time guides in Washington, like our beloved Bob, have to do more than just the labor on the water in a given day to succeed as full time guides. It takes research and years of experience, skill, and personality to keep clients coming back. There are not many full-time guides left in Washington as there are not many full-time fish.

Herring and eggs are two separate entities. Eggs are not dime-a-dozen like herring or readily available in the marina. How many time have you told the Charter skipper out on the salt "Hey, captain. Would you mind if I keep any herring that you happen to find in the gullet of this big king I got here?".

#132269 - 01/17/01 07:28 PM Re: tipping your fishing guide
RichH Offline
Parr

Loc: Salem, OR
I think tips are very much a personal issue. I know that when I was guiding if I got a tip it was considered a bonus, not an expectation. As far as the eggs go, same rules apply now as then: eggs go to the boat.
Everybody that fishes with me knows going in that I plan to use those eggs for the next person that fishes with me. I do give some of those eggs to my buddies and share them with other fishermen as well. I just consider it my bonus for taking them fishing and working my arse off to get them into fish, even though I no longer guide. If someone doesn't want to do that, fine, fish from the bank

------------------

#132270 - 01/18/01 02:47 AM Re: tipping your fishing guide
Hammer Bob Offline
Fry

Loc: Yolo, Ca. USA
I am not a guide but have gone on several guided trips...some good (fish or no fish) and some very very bad. Guided trips are in my opinion priced to what the market will bear. When I pay for a guided trip I do so fully recognizing this and also believe that for that particular day I have hired this guy/gal to give me my best shot at fish and to supply quality equipment...I tie my own leaders and knots...this is his/her job. As far as tipping goes I find it very hard to tip after a trip simply because I feel that the guide has made a very fair wage off of me that day. I certainly don't feel obligated to tip because the guide has a good personality or can tell good stories. I expect the former and appreciate the latter. If I tell some good stories or have a good personality do I get a discount? Without me he/she may have made nothing at all that day. I can understand why the guides and former guides like tips who wouldn't in their postition. I do agree somewhat with the postion that guiding is not really a service industry and tipping should not really be expected. In my book $30-40 per hour is a pretty fair wage. I fully expect a guide to work his arse off to put me into fish and if the day runs long and fishless so be it and after all I had to work my arse off to earn the money I am paying him/her.

As far as eggs go the roe stays with the boat....this applies even in my boat when I am taking friends out fishing as I explain to them how much bait we will be using. If they don't like it they can run flatfish all day! If at the end of the fishing we have made back the bait we used I am inclined to split the roe with someone who will use it....but I am not running a business either.

#132271 - 02/05/02 10:14 PM Re: tipping your fishing guide
Hooter Offline
Egg

Loc: Owreegun
Forgive me if I missed it but my main reason for expecting the eggs at the end of the day is because it is the best way to provide a QUALITY bait for the guys in the front of the boat to fish with all day. If they would rather fish with guides choice fresh out of the GI Joes cooler then they can have what they catch. If they want to fish with a primo egg, I expect back a fresh egg that I can provide the next guy with. Does that sound like too much to ask? confused

#132272 - 02/05/02 11:12 PM Re: tipping your fishing guide
Fish Jesus Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tacoma
A business colleague treated my brother and I to a guided trip on the Cow (his choice) with the owner of a local camground. We learned alot about plug fishing and select holes to focus on...and for that we tipped him $25.00...and all was good until this...I needed a small part for one of my Ambassador reels...OK he finds one and proceeds to charge me just under a buck? Not that my tip should have covered the part but my thinking would have been to just give the part away to maybe keep someone coming back...petty as it may seem that sub dollar part sends me Fish Countries way every time!

FJ...out.

#132273 - 02/06/02 12:38 AM Re: tipping your fishing guide
TW Offline
Fry

Loc: WA State
If I have a good trip with a friendly guide I always leave a tip. Sometimes the fishing is just tough, so a hard working guide will earn a tip from me even if I get blanked. As for the eggs, I always let the guide have them. The eggs we used during the day came from another day, so it seems only right. The day a guide gets a lot of eggs has to cover for the days when he gets few if any. Plus every guide I have ever fished with cleaned and bagged the fish in order to get the eggs.
Just my .02
Tom

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (stonefish), 1075 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645296 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |