Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#132351 - 12/02/01 03:33 AM JIG VIRGIN BREAKOUT CONTEST
Anonymous
Unregistered

It has come to our attention that we have a number of 'jig virgins' as members of the BB here. eek Check out Gooose's "Okay Fine I'm Gonna Try Jigs" thread, all the way to my second post in it for the roots of this jig contest. >

We have learned thru very courageous confessions there that Gooose, Schwing Man, Steelheadman, and Krome Bright have never caught an adult steelhead on a jig. Actually there are lots of you. Time to rectify this (don't even think it Stew!).

I'm am going to have an honor system contest between these 4 fine anglers and any other members that confess to their jig virginity here in this thread, thus entering also. The member that successfully lands their first adult steelhead on a baitless feathered jig using it under a float will win half a dozen jigs - three feathered ones and three collared jighead hooks for float fishing the pink worm on. No using any bait or rubber stuff like pink worms on your jig hook for this contest. A very small dab of scent on the front part of the jighead or lower leader is OK if you want. AND HEY! - Keep this honest, thus fun! It isn't worth fibbing just to get $8 bucks worth of stuff, and have it hang on your conscience.

There are lots of very informative jig threads to review with the search feature for this BB. And us experienced jigsters will gladly answer tech Q's from you here in this thread. It's too much fun and productive for you guys not to learn this method of steelheading!

Let's hope it stops raining for a while, because jigs work better when the water is clearish. OK, get after 'em and keep us posted on your progress.

RT

#132352 - 12/02/01 03:59 AM Re: JIG VIRGIN BREAKOUT CONTEST
Steelheadman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Poulsbo, WA,USA
I've read the Vedder/Harthorne book on jig fishing and have read the various posts on the subject. I've always thought of it as a low water, low current technique for summer runs. I'll try it next time out. I think it would be more effective with a shrimp tail.

#132353 - 12/02/01 10:51 AM Re: JIG VIRGIN BREAKOUT CONTEST
Bigdog2250 Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Stanwood,Wa
I will bare my ass to the board and admit that I have never landed,hooked or smelled a steelhead while using a jig of any kind. It's not from lack of preparation or equipment,though.I have the books,the pole,a fair technique and lots of jigs.It's the way I fish most of the time(except pluggin')even from a driftboat.All of the Steelies I have landed have been on plugs.I don't know what I'm doing wrong!!
Kent set me up with a pole,reel,floats and several jigs.Even drew me a picture.I bought some more jigs from Jigman.Hell,I even bought his driftboat.Help me boys!!!!!!

#132354 - 12/02/01 11:35 AM Re: JIG VIRGIN BREAKOUT CONTEST
Desertdog Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Winnemucca Nv
Well....ok I admit I have not caught a Steelhead on a jig. But I was already making plans to correct that. I have a nice little set of Silent Approach jigs(Gawd they are purddy little thingies) that are just waiting to get wet and abused.

Wife greenlighted another trip to Washington for last week on Dec. Yippeee. Only thing left to decide is weather to take the sled and fight the crowd at blue creek or the db and play on some smaller rivers. What to do.

Now if I can just get the rain gods to keep the rivers blown till the day after Christmas I can win this incredible prize without damaging my conscience.. oh I forgot I don't have one ( Wife says it must be a guy thing).

Actually it is a good bet that the rivers will be blown that week as am planning to make a run. If you see some idiot from Nevada acting kinda funny that will be me( all those trees make me kinda nervous. Just too many places for the like of RT to hide behind)

I fish therefore I am

#132355 - 12/02/01 11:56 AM Re: JIG VIRGIN BREAKOUT CONTEST
Fishbait Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Rivers of OR and SW WA.
Jig virgin here.

If I am going to join this contest, I'm going to try to get some private tootering. Think I will need all the help I can get.

Hey, seeing how it's my first one, if the fish misses the jig on the first strike, gets the line caught in its mouth and the jig ends up hooking the fish just behind the gill plate, as long as the wife and kids had not had dinner yet, can I keep it?

GAWD, I wish it would stop raining so I could go fishing.....Arugh...... Wife wishes the same thing.........

#132356 - 12/02/01 01:51 PM Re: JIG VIRGIN BREAKOUT CONTEST
Gregor Offline
Smolt

Loc: America
closest I've been to catching one is "dude..your bobbers down!" huh? where? oh d'uh...set hook..miss..duck..hehe smile

#132357 - 12/02/01 02:08 PM Re: JIG VIRGIN BREAKOUT CONTEST
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by RT:

Time to rectify this (don't even think it Stew!).
RT

Shouldn't have said anything dude...you know how I am. Does this have anything to do with the amateur proctology kit you want for Christmas?

laugh laugh laugh

#132358 - 12/02/01 02:53 PM Re: JIG VIRGIN BREAKOUT CONTEST
plug puller Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: At FL410
The first time I used a jig I was on a small Oly pen river that doesn't get that many steelies returning to it. I went to this river cuz it was the closest to my house and I didn't have my driftboat then. After trying all of the dirft gear that I could stand I put on a float and jig and 3rd cast bam a 13 lbs native that was C&R. I have only tried jigs a few other times with out luck. I guess I was a lucky one to get one on the first try. laugh
Chris

#132359 - 12/02/01 03:59 PM Re: JIG VIRGIN BREAKOUT CONTEST
Anonymous
Unregistered

Cool. We now have 8 contestants and growing. Who is going to be the first to catch that jig steelie? Will the rivers recede in time - oh, the drama. smile

B'dog, let us know the river types and jig techs you've been using. That would be a good starting point and we can then help you with things to improve your odds of catching the jig steelie. I've caught steelies on Jigman's jigs (Mike/Rainbow), Silent Approach jigs (Roger), BeauMac jigs, and of course my favorite First Cast Jigs (Mark). The improvement in little intricacies is what will help you most. Those 3 guys and some of us other successful jigsters can post our recommendations after we hear where and what you are doing; or hear specific questions.

D'dog, I suggest you bring up your driftboat along with a kicker motor. You can use it on the big Cow to re-do holes. (now that was a poor choice of words again - can't seem to help it. lets face it, I think there is a fine line between fishing lingo and sexual inuendo; so many words and phrases fit both rolleyes ) Anyway, then you can drift the medium and smaller rivers that come in sooner after these rains. And jigs will generally work better in those type rivers in my experience.

I will say one very basic thing you need to do Gregor - watch your bobber! wink

And Fishbait (Steve)!!! The hard core egg fishing master is going to try for a jig fish. That's cool. I want some of you others to beat him to your first jig fish - he's too good of overall fisherman to allow him to win this thing. So no 'tootering' for you dude. You were present for one of Mark Anderson's excellant jig clinics at our TV chapter of NW Steelheaders meeting. And use that search feature here for a wealth of jig info! Then all we need is for clearing rivers. The fish are there.

Ah Shane, I thought those gloves were for egg fishing. shocked

Edit: Aunty M (Marsha) entered over in the other thread. Entering her in the contest thread. Good luck Aunty!

smile RT

[ 12-02-2001: Message edited by: RT ]

#132360 - 12/02/01 06:14 PM Re: JIG VIRGIN BREAKOUT CONTEST
RipDatLip Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Battle Ground, WA
RT, I won't even bother entering...

Matt

#132361 - 12/02/01 06:46 PM Re: JIG VIRGIN BREAKOUT CONTEST
Float Fishin Fool Offline
Alevin

Loc: Tacoma
Have hooked a few fish with jigs, but never landed one. I guess I am therefore a jig virgin. If I'm eligible, I'm in!

Lets hope the rain lets up or it may be awhile before anyone has the chance to fish jigs

#132362 - 12/02/01 07:32 PM Re: JIG VIRGIN BREAKOUT CONTEST
Fish Stalker Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: S.W. Washington
I am a Jig Virgin for Steelies, I never have used them really because I have been trying so many other techniques but I have started to tie my own jigs. and am going to give them a serious shot for these brats.

One question for a jig expert, how do you rig it up with a flaot, as in weight and float type.

Thanks

#132363 - 12/02/01 07:32 PM Re: JIG VIRGIN BREAKOUT CONTEST
Anonymous
Unregistered

FFF, you haven't landed one on a jig so you are elgible and in.

Rip' (Matt), get your butt right into this contest! Part of the problem you've expressed to us about not catching fish is due to attitude. At least give an honest effort. Try to be confident in what you've learned here and get after it. Confidence helps keep you trying to catch a fish and use your acumulated knowledge. If you aren't confident your aren't going to give it your best shot - or float watching effort for that matter. Those things do make a difference. Good luck.

RT

#132364 - 12/02/01 07:32 PM Re: JIG VIRGIN BREAKOUT CONTEST
drift boat Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Renton WA
I have never got one on a jig but will give it a shot if Justin makes me up some..........Parker you want to tag along for some help????? laugh laugh laugh rolleyes rolleyes

#132365 - 12/02/01 07:47 PM Re: JIG VIRGIN BREAKOUT CONTEST
kjackson Offline
Spawner

Loc: Port Townend, WA
Count me in as well... I've spent too much time east of the mountains to have gotten in on this technique, and after moving back to the wet side of Washington, too much time travelling out of state or on the saltwater. This is the year I vowed to get after the steelhead, and fishing with bobbers is a blast. I've done enough of it for walleyes to know how much fun it can be.

One question: does it count if you catch the steelie in saltwater? Or does it count double?

#132366 - 12/02/01 07:52 PM Re: JIG VIRGIN BREAKOUT CONTEST
Buzzo Offline
Parr

Loc: Albany, OR
I got several steelhead last winter for the first time on floats, but no jigs. Yarn. I ordered some first cast and some silent approach, and I've been practicing with marabou and hackle on the vise. I actually think I've come up with a reasonable facsimile of a jig, but we'll see. If its like everything else, the only luck I'll have is with my own creations, but I wouldn''t mind a few extra testers. Its going to be another week before anything is fishable anyway.
HT

#132367 - 12/02/01 08:04 PM Re: JIG VIRGIN BREAKOUT CONTEST
Fish Jesus Offline
Spawner

Be careful guy's getting hooked on the jig may lead to the loss of your drift feel. wink

FJ...out.

#132368 - 12/02/01 08:05 PM Re: JIG VIRGIN BREAKOUT CONTEST
First Bite Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: OR
To all you "jig virgins", when the rivers drop back into shape, tie on a white or pink/white jig of your choice and hit your favorite stretch of water. Winter steelies inhale jigs. Once you get a steelie on a jig, you'll be "hooked" so to speak. It's a very addictive way of catching fish. I think you should have (fishbait) Steve catch two steelhead on a jig just because, well just because. Good luck.

Mark

Nobody makes a tougher jig...PERIOD!

#132369 - 12/02/01 10:59 PM Re: JIG VIRGIN BREAKOUT CONTEST
Bugleman Offline
Parr

Loc: Beaverton, OR
I am a jig virgin. I have played with them but never gone all the way.

#132370 - 12/02/01 11:37 PM Re: JIG VIRGIN BREAKOUT CONTEST
Anonymous
Unregistered

Oh Man! I go and post a new thread specifically fishing related just to take a break from the Flog & Fillet sessions and now RT's got me in a contest with a bunch of young uuuh?"virgins?" Suffering ****! RT if I survive this guy....oh cr@p forgot I'm here to behave myself and learn.
Thanks for the advice guys specially FJ...hey am I really risking losing my feel for drifting lead? frown eek Took over 30 years of it to become the finely honed....ah? not going there either. When's the start time on this...next saturday daylite? BTW any of them fancy jigs come in about the same dimensions and weight as 2 inches of 1/4inch pencel lead? laugh

Gooose rolleyes

#132371 - 12/02/01 11:57 PM Re: JIG VIRGIN BREAKOUT CONTEST
Fish Jesus Offline
Spawner

Gooose I would never [Bleeeeep!] you, your one of my fav turds! laugh

Seriously though, about 3-4 years ago got all addicted to jig fishing because of the killer success rate and started to lose a little of my lead banging mojo. It's alright now though Gooose
I got my mojo back and still continue to go both ways...........don't go there sicko's!

I can just see it now, Gooose singing "let's get jiggy with it" after he finally get the suckers dialed in.

FJ...out.

#132372 - 12/03/01 01:04 AM Re: JIG VIRGIN BREAKOUT CONTEST
Anonymous
Unregistered

FJ glad to make your favorite **** list laugh . Did it really take you 3 to 4 years to recover? eek Oh Crap ...at 44 I've enough problems out fishin anyone rolleyes .Now I'm gonna have to interrupt my much practiced feel and timing? BTW do you use wood floats or do you go both ways on that issue? Probably need a new Allstar rod for float fishing....oh BTW Joe what am I gonna need. rolleyes How'd I get into this...oh yeah forgot RT.

Gooose rolleyes

#132373 - 12/03/01 01:05 AM Re: JIG VIRGIN BREAKOUT CONTEST
AkKings Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kelso Wa.
I to must admit, I am a virgin, I have tried them a few times but just don't have the confidence in them to stick with them, 90% of the steelhead I've caught have been on either bait or corky & yarn, guess I'm just stuck in my ways. I'm headed to the Sky (weather permitting) Tuesday, I guess its time to pop my cherry, and get rid of the virgin label.

#132374 - 12/03/01 01:13 AM Re: JIG VIRGIN BREAKOUT CONTEST
Fish Jesus Offline
Spawner

Gooose, I can see how much fun your having with that "out fishin thing" your crackin me up for sure on that one. The feel and timing thing could develop a little rust but at your age hell what's rust?

FJ..out.

#132375 - 12/03/01 01:35 AM Re: JIG VIRGIN BREAKOUT CONTEST
Anonymous
Unregistered

FJ after this last weekends experience I sure don't need a couple of extra pounds of rust...neutral bouyancy let alone positive bouyancy was a challenge rolleyes . With the rain we had I'll give you two guess' where I was. Your probably right on the first! eek
Anyway back to jigs....wish certain people would e-mail me their secrets as I'm in need of an advantage...doubt they'll let me start fishin an hour early efore the youngins?

Gooose laugh

#132376 - 12/03/01 02:40 AM Re: JIG VIRGIN BREAKOUT CONTEST
CedarR Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Olympia, WA
Gotta love RT's contests even though I'd have a better chance of getting fatally struck by lightning twice on the same day, than winning one of them. Add my name to the jig virgin list. I've gotten to "second base" several times, but have yet to score. It's a confidence thing...

#132377 - 12/03/01 07:20 PM Re: JIG VIRGIN BREAKOUT CONTEST
Fish Jesus Offline
Spawner

Gooose, I'm ready to head your way with my jiggin gear so as to get you the low down. How did you do
this weekend? I'm thinking jigs will work well on that first choice river and if not we'll egg em to death.

FJ...out.

#132379 - 12/03/01 07:43 PM Re: JIG VIRGIN BREAKOUT CONTEST
jtl85 Offline
Fry

Loc: Vancouver, wa
Alright, I too am a jig virgin. However, I do have some jigs and floats, and have been practicing. Now that the E. Lewis is back in shape, Ill be giving it a whirl.

#132380 - 12/03/01 07:45 PM Re: JIG VIRGIN BREAKOUT CONTEST
Firma LaDuce Offline
Alevin

Loc: NW rivers
I consider myself a jig virgin because I've haven't done much of it and the only one I caught had bait on it. SO I enter. Duce

#132381 - 12/03/01 10:39 PM Re: JIG VIRGIN BREAKOUT CONTEST
AkKings Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kelso Wa.
Heading for the Sky in the morning, nothing but jigs for the first couple hours, then I'll have to get serious!

#132382 - 12/03/01 10:42 PM Re: JIG VIRGIN BREAKOUT CONTEST
Krome Brite Offline
Spawner

Loc: Washougal, WA
Registering now.

My confession Psychiatrist RT, I am a jig virgin.

#132383 - 12/03/01 11:21 PM Re: JIG VIRGIN BREAKOUT CONTEST
Krome Brite Offline
Spawner

jtl85, the EF is back in shape already? After all this rain? Dammit, too bad I screwed myself up! rolleyes mad

BTW, in case any of you are wondering, I am also a virgin in the other field. The REAL field. How bout a contest for this too, RT? Come on guys, time to fess up. laugh

#132384 - 12/03/01 11:45 PM Re: JIG VIRGIN BREAKOUT CONTEST
Anonymous
Unregistered

Fish Jesus we did fine I suppose considering mothernature threw just about everything in her bag at us....including a cottonwood crashing down
next hole up. I ain't postin numbers but there was blood on the bank when we left....further details can be found in my terminology post. Should give you further clues as to where I was.

Gotta technical problem. My favorite most productive steelie hole requires standing amongst severe large woody structure handicaps to drift fish the sweet spot amongst somewhat severe underwater large woody handicaps. I might mention in addition to those handicaps there are several medium to large rock handicaps. To get to the point there's usually only about 7 feet of line between rod tip and lead...hardly room for a float? Probably just get in the way...so is it legal by the contest rules to keep my float (seriously)in my pocket?

Gooose
laugh

#132385 - 12/04/01 12:44 AM Re: JIG VIRGIN BREAKOUT CONTEST
Anonymous
Unregistered

Been busy all day so getting caught up tonight. I talked to Mark of First Cast Jigs today. I was going to use 6 jigs I already have for the contest prize, but he offered up a half dozen of his latest improved versions for the winner of this jig virgin breaking contest. So I will offer up older but still great unused jigs for 2nd place and 3rd place. 5 jigs for 2nd (3 feathered and 2 for worms) and 4 jigs for 3rd (2 feathered and 2 for worms). Appreciate the integrity shown so far - albiet KB went above and beyond the call of duty a bit laugh .

On rules Q's - kj, if you stick to all the original rules and land one from saltwater count it good. Gooose, you have to use a float (drift fishing them works, but not for this contest - thanks). btw, don't worry about losing your drift fishing touch. It's just like the ol' bycycle cliche' - you'll never forget how, or lose that good touch.

As for you KB, if it's not contributing to the delinquency of a minor, I have a special contest for you. If you break both your jig and real virginities on the same day - this will be your prize:
http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP392.jpg

jk ... C1 - I will answer your float and rig Q's in the following post.

RT

Thanks Troy.

[ 12-03-2001: Message edited by: RT ]

#132386 - 12/04/01 01:06 AM Re: JIG VIRGIN BREAKOUT CONTEST
Spooled Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: tigard,oregon
RT, to post your picture click the image box below and put this address in. http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/*****.jpg

Where the stars are put your picture # in. In this case UP392 instead of the stars. smile

[ 12-03-2001: Message edited by: spooled ]

#132387 - 12/04/01 05:18 AM Re: JIG VIRGIN BREAKOUT CONTEST
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks Troy.
------------

C1, you were asking about floats for jig fishing. There are lots of good ones that work well for that. For sliders I like the smaller torpedo shaped Thill floats with the simulated wood grain. Foam dinks are ok. For fixed floats I have come to really like the old round natural corks. They have such density that they make it easier to cast distances, and they still indicate light strikes well. Many guys like the Thill Turbo-masters. Other good ones too. The important thing is to match the float with water conditions and the resulting amount of weight you'll use. If you are only using a straight 1/8th oz. jig in gin clear water you should use the smallest stealthy float you can. On the other side of the coin, if the water is high and you are combining extra lead up the line from a 1/4 oz. jig you need to have a corresponding larger float. Keep things in balance and have the float upright to best indicate light bites. ... Help out jig experts.

RT

#132388 - 12/04/01 03:26 PM Re: JIG VIRGIN BREAKOUT CONTEST
cohoangler Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Vancouver, Washington
RT - Great contest. Count me in. When it comes to jigs/steelhead, I'm as virgin as they get. I've always used spinners for steelhead, or occasionally rags/eggs. But I've been tying up some jigs since the rains have kept me off the Kalama. I'm tying white 1/4 oz jigs with hot pink schlappen feathers and pink body. Seems like most folks think that combination is productive for winter runs.

However, I'm not likely to win your contest, not because I don't think I'll catch any but that with the holidays and two small kids at home, my time on the water will be very limited. But I'll give it a shot anyway. Thanks!

#132389 - 12/04/01 04:42 PM Re: JIG VIRGIN BREAKOUT CONTEST
ltlCLEO Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: brownsville wa.
O.k. Have never fished jiggs before...just look at my screen name.I do own some funny pieces of neoprene though,I just need jiggs.Oh yea I have Vedder/drews book autographed by Drew, a fine gift from my loving grandma.Drew writes in our local paper,thats how chico creek got so popular,anyways I want to play! :p

#132390 - 12/04/01 08:53 PM Re: JIG VIRGIN BREAKOUT CONTEST
Krome Brite Offline
Spawner

Wow, what a woman, RT! Where did you find that beauty? How are you gonna ship her to me? laugh

#132391 - 12/05/01 12:36 AM Re: JIG VIRGIN BREAKOUT CONTEST
Anonymous
Unregistered

KB, as real as she looks in that pic she is actually one of my many inflatables. So all I have to do is let the air out and roll up the doll for ya. laugh

#132392 - 12/05/01 01:16 AM Re: JIG VIRGIN BREAKOUT CONTEST
fp Online   content
Old Duffer

Loc: Hoquiam,WA.USA
Ok!!Can I play? I'll put on a Jig for ya.

Never ever tried one. Figured that I never would want to try one. Now, I just gotta figure out how to tie one on the end of my string. Then tie on a strike indicator(I think thats fly talk) Just love to feel them biting the bait. So I'll have one tied on in the morning. I'll post a picture if I can catch one.

1st. time for Steelhead this year. Usually to much of a purist to use an artifical. fp

#132393 - 12/05/01 11:22 AM Re: JIG VIRGIN BREAKOUT CONTEST
Osprey Offline
Spawner

Loc: Osprey Acres /Olympja
Wow I leave for a few days and all the Cherries come out of the closet eek

I'm so pround of all of you laugh

I'll offer any assistance I can,heck I can even contribute a few of my personal stash of Silent Approach Jigs to the winner as well.......

Wow after this ,Maybe we can have a jig only Floatilla...........Os

#132394 - 12/05/01 11:26 AM Re: JIG VIRGIN BREAKOUT CONTEST
Bigdog2250 Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Stanwood,Wa
OK fellas, Planning to drift Sky tommorow(Thus)with a guy from work.Putting in about 11:00 AM depending on the wind.You'd better get out there!!! The horses have left the gate. :p

#132395 - 12/05/01 06:41 PM Re: JIG VIRGIN BREAKOUT CONTEST
fp Online   content
Old Duffer

I just had to remove the picture so some of the guys on here could sleep at night. Yes, they were hatchery fish. Next time I go out I'll take a picture of a deformed dorsal fin so you can see what a hatchery fish looks like in WA.

Sorry, I was just trying to have a little fun on the Jig stuff but, I guess it can't be done to your liking..

Ok,I had it in my mind to do the Jig thing today but, after making a few casts with the eggs it was just to good for Geo,Geo and fp so we will try the Jigs next time. I'm sure they are gonna produce for me. It would also help if the water would drop a bit.

[ 12-06-2001: Message edited by: fp ]

[ 12-06-2001: Message edited by: fp ]

#132396 - 12/06/01 12:23 AM Re: JIG VIRGIN BREAKOUT CONTEST
Spooled Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: tigard,oregon
I know it is legal to keep native steelhead in some Washington streams, I just hate to see it. I hope your law passes soon. frown

#132397 - 12/06/01 12:44 AM Re: JIG VIRGIN BREAKOUT CONTEST
Fisherdan Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Auburn, Wa, USA
OK, I'm in. Had a hard time admitting that I'm a JV, but there it is....

Besides, as a father of five, I can really use the free jigs. Explain this one though: How can a guy with 5 kids who look just like him be a virgin?

Can the rest of you contestants do me a favor though? How about if you don't fish for a week or two til I can get out?

I'm not off to a good start. The last guy I asked about jig water thought I was looking for frogs.

Fisherdan

#132398 - 12/06/01 12:58 AM Re: JIG VIRGIN BREAKOUT CONTEST
Anonymous
Unregistered

33.5 hours and counting down until Gooose makes his first float & jig drift in worlds snaggiest honey hole. wink RT wish you'd leveled the field by setting this coming saturday as the start date...but I'm dealing with it considering with this rain everthings gonna be blown til then. Sounds like confidence is the key and considering my favorite spot produced 14 hookups in two days last weekend ...well Gooose has confidence big time. Hope all them other voigins are weekend wareriors too!

Gooose laugh

#132399 - 12/06/01 01:11 AM Re: JIG VIRGIN BREAKOUT CONTEST
Fisherdan Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Auburn, Wa, USA
Gooooooooooose:

14 hookups in 2 days out of your honey hole???? In my book, that aint no honey hole, that's a full blown gold drift. I think you should be handicapped an extra week.

There went my confidence at winning....

Fisherdan

#132400 - 12/06/01 01:39 AM Re: JIG VIRGIN BREAKOUT CONTEST
Anonymous
Unregistered

FisherDan I need to clarify my previous post. There's 3 of us who've been religiously fishing the same little tiny sweet spot...taking turns as there's only room for one guy at a time amongst all the structure eek rolleyes . Just the same we had that many hookups out of the same 20 feet of river. Problem is that landing these fish
is difficult when the river is at normal flow...recent flows are a challenge to people who are realizing they are no longer 17 years old. rolleyes Only 4 of those fish made it to the bank. You've gotta go into the river in the deepest part of the hole(top of your waders lately) and wade(swim) downstream about 30 yards to land the fish. Love the thrill of the hookup and fight but the end game is losing it's allure with every year lately. I'll take days like I've been havin for now.

Gooose rolleyes

#132401 - 12/06/01 05:04 AM Re: JIG VIRGIN BREAKOUT CONTEST
Anonymous
Unregistered

Gooose, if the water isn't too murky in your honey hole and you maybe dab a little scent on the front of the jig head, using a good pattern properly fished, I think you'll be 'gettin jiggy with it' just fine. smile

#132402 - 12/07/01 01:19 AM Re: JIG VIRGIN BREAKOUT CONTEST
Anonymous
Unregistered

In light of a more recent thread...WOW! Talk about honesty among brother "Jig Virgins!" Would be to easy to claim this prize if there wasn't an extremely high level of ethics and fair play amongst our small (?) group of rookies.As a weekend warrior Gooose fully expected at least one of the youngsters would sneak out of class to win this. Miscalculated my start time earlier so it's about 30 hours and counting from now. Good luck to all of us JV's!

gooose laugh

#132403 - 12/07/01 01:46 AM Re: JIG VIRGIN BREAKOUT CONTEST
JRfishing Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Mill Creek
I have to confess,Im also a jig virgin for steelies. I am going to be on the shy this weekend with one experianced and 2 first timers. I will spend at least a couple of hours in the morning with (4) jigs in the water. Would love some hints on what colors they should be and how to rigg them. confused confused confused

#132404 - 12/07/01 05:45 PM Re: JIG VIRGIN BREAKOUT CONTEST
Krome Brite Offline
Spawner

Where the heck is the "Shy" River? And how can you fish with 4 jigs at a time, JRfishing? laugh J/K BTW, JRfishing, there's been a lot of talk on here lately about good colors to use and how to rig them. Either do a search on it or browse through last couple pages of topics. wink

[ 12-07-2001: Message edited by: Krome Brite ]

#132405 - 12/07/01 05:49 PM Re: JIG VIRGIN BREAKOUT CONTEST
fish4steel Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: yelm, wa
Well, I've got all the toys for jig fishing, and I've used them, but I'm ...ah...um...well, like those other guys who fessed up. I'm going to give it another shot in the morning. I doubt I'm going to beat Gooose to the winner's circle, because rumor has it he has them corraled eek With this said, I guess I'm entering the pop the cherry contest. wink

#132406 - 12/07/01 07:14 PM Re: JIG VIRGIN BREAKOUT CONTEST
T Dodge Offline
Returning Adult

Good luck to you all. I can't enter the contest, but I'll toss this in for those that are true virgins. NEVER, NEVER, NEVER assume that, when your float goes down, it is a snag. No matter how close you've floated to that log, that root, that rock, or the bank. I guarantee that if you make that assumption, sooner rather than later, when you tighten down to try a gentle tug to dislodge the snag, the snag will tug back, probably explode, and more times than not you lose those fish.

All that is easily said, but surprisingly hard to keep in mind. I float fish a lot and that is still the single most frequent reason I lose fish. It is especially hard to remember when your float is traveling so close to the bank that you are positive you're just hung on the bottom.

Good luck! I will enjoy the reports of your success.

[ 12-07-2001: Message edited by: T Dodge ]

#132407 - 12/08/01 11:50 PM Re: JIG VIRGIN BREAKOUT CONTEST
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well I'll be the first to 'fess up....Gooose's virginity, jig wise, remains intact. Pure as snow I am. Always tomrrow though. wink

Gooose laugh

#132409 - 12/09/01 12:58 AM Re: JIG VIRGIN BREAKOUT CONTEST
Anonymous
Unregistered

AuntyM!!! You catch that gorgeous thing all by your lonesome!!! Nice Christmas present!!! You gonna let Santa drive it once in a while?

Gooose laugh

#132411 - 12/09/01 02:34 PM Re: JIG VIRGIN BREAKOUT CONTEST
EggsGuy Offline
Parr

Well guys, I was a jig virgin at around 6:00am this morning and at 11:00 I am not.
I hooked and landed a 7lb steelie today on a north sound river.
I was fishing a all white jigwith a cork float about 7 feet above it.

It took me about 2 hours before I hooked into the little scraper.

I now have to conquer my other virginity. laugh

#132412 - 12/09/01 08:03 PM Re: JIG VIRGIN BREAKOUT CONTEST
Krome Brite Offline
Spawner

Damn you, EggsGuy! You lying sack of [Bleeeeep!]! Naw, kidding. I believe you. Would be a little more believable if you had a pic of the fish w/jig in it's mouth. Well, congrats to the first place winner I guess. Oh no, wait a sec, you never officially entered! HA HA HA HA HA!!! No matter, gooose probably caught one today anyway. I never went fishin' this weekend cause of my ankle. Next weekend though-booyah! Lookout!

#132413 - 12/09/01 08:12 PM Re: JIG VIRGIN BREAKOUT CONTEST
EggsGuy Offline
Parr

Thank you KB, no I wouldn't cheat over a few jigs. Sorry for no pic I was fishing alone. and the fish was released after a short battle.
I don't really like keeping steelhead even if they are hatchery, I have to much meet in freezer.(Deer meet, bear meet and enough smoked and filets of kings and silvers to feed my whole family for a year).
I cant wait to fish with some new jigs, the ones that I have no arent that good of quality.
And hopefully the jigs that I won are good steelhead colors.

#132415 - 12/09/01 08:37 PM Re: JIG VIRGIN BREAKOUT CONTEST
Krome Brite Offline
Spawner

Yes, again congrats EggsGuy. But show me where again did you enter the contest? Under a different moniker perhaps? Hey, as far as I can see this is your first post in this topic, and it basically states you're entering the contest AND that you've already caught a fish? That's just like showing up at a squawfish bounty station, showing your catch, and wanting to claim your voucher having never registered beforehand. IS THIS LEGAL IN THIS CONTEST? Not trying to be a greedy a$$hole, just inquiring. laugh Plus, I want them jigs! :p There is three places for this contest though (I think?), so I still might have a chance. laugh

#132416 - 12/09/01 08:48 PM Re: JIG VIRGIN BREAKOUT CONTEST
EggsGuy Offline
Parr

LOL-you really must need some Jigs,,get out there and try to get second or third place...I didnt no that I had to enter the contest before I caught the fish..., however I am completely onest about it. I usually get my fish on eggs and somtimes a float so I used the same techniques but used a jig.

#132417 - 12/09/01 11:42 PM Re: JIG VIRGIN BREAKOUT CONTEST
Anonymous
Unregistered

EggsGuy as far as I'm concerned you won under the ancient obscure "Sneaky Fisherman" rules! :p rolleyes Kinda like golfing rules. Up to RT to decide.
At least you used a cork float(related to solid wood due to it being bark) and not one of those soft foam floats. wink BTW Gooose remains unsullied and still as pure as driven snow when it comes to jigs. rolleyes

Gooose laugh

#132418 - 12/10/01 01:36 AM Re: JIG VIRGIN BREAKOUT CONTEST
Desertdog Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Got my first Steelhead on a jig 12-7-01 about 8 am. cnr'd a nice little hen out of an small O.P. stream. Jig was a Silent Approach nightmare. The hole was behind a tree and next to a stump and basicly just an impossible to drift situation but the float and jig pitched in underhanded cast made it about 2 feet before it went submarine. FISHON!!! I do like watching that float go under. What a kick.

I fish therefore I am

#132419 - 12/10/01 01:50 AM Re: JIG VIRGIN BREAKOUT CONTEST
Anonymous
Unregistered

Dangit all...forgot about our friend "down under!" Registered as an official contestant too. Kinda late postin but there's that time zone thing...whooops is it east to west or southeast by northwest? I there a time zone advantage factor built into this contest? Crap don't matter as I'm still a jig virgin.

Gooose rolleyes

#132420 - 12/10/01 01:54 AM Re: JIG VIRGIN BREAKOUT CONTEST
EggsGuy Offline
Parr

You better fish tomorrow KB there is only third place left.
Right on man, I almost pissed my pants when I got on within 2 hours of fishing a jig. I think that I am going to fish with jigs this whole winter to see how they compare to other years.I cant wait to get the new ones...We will be ready for them with are new set of jigs.!

#132421 - 12/10/01 02:09 AM Re: JIG VIRGIN BREAKOUT CONTEST
Desertdog Offline
Juvenille at Sea

I know it is a little late but I just got home from the run up to paradise. it was made extra long as we ended up getting towed in the last 75 miles after a pack of feral dogs decided to cross the road in front of us. 2 did not make it and left the car undriveable.

Left out important detail. Wife got her first steelhead about an hour later. She's hooked.

I do have a pick I will try to post tomorrow it is to late to try to figure it out and I have to work tomorrow with a 5 am getup. Darn dogs anyway.

I fish therefore I am

#132422 - 12/10/01 04:08 AM Re: JIG VIRGIN BREAKOUT CONTEST
Anonymous
Unregistered

Congrats Desertdog and EggsGuy. Fun watching that bobber go under, eh? ... Please excuse me gettin on so late - I was fishing today (Kevin Beckman, Shane Stewart, and I went 3 for 6 chromers on, in a N. OR coast stream today, with some other hard takedown misses while backtrolling; so steelies starting to show down our way too) and my son was online much of the night after dinner. Anyway, >>>

I declare D'dog the 1st place winner. Mark Anderson of First Cast Jigs will be sending you 6 of his newest jigs. E-mail him your street address to firstcastjigs@earthlink.net with an explaination of your win and for him to look at this post of mine in this thread. Thanks. smile

As for you EggsGuy, I went back and checked my original post and it said ... "any other members that confess to their jig virginity here in this thread, thus entering also." I had in mind that you first post a fess up and then get after it. But technically I did not say that clearly. *So I declare E'Guy second place. I will be sending you 6 jigs instead of 5 (3 feathered and 3 rubber worm jigheads). ... But because you were a wuss for not posting before jig fishing, you now must change your moniker to "Eggs&JigsDude". laugh Just kidding. Since I am temporarily without internet service, and I won't give out my son's e-mail addy (I'm using his ISP until I get new service), please e-mail your street addy to Mark at the above address, with a note to call it over to me.

* I will also up the 3rd place prize to a half dozen jigs, so keep after it people. ... And after reading Osprey's post in this thread earlier, I would think there might be a 4th place prize from him too. Os, please verify what you are offering up for 4th place. Thanks.

Get back after 'em! smile

RT

[ 12-10-2001: Message edited by: RT ]

#132423 - 12/10/01 07:31 AM Re: JIG VIRGIN BREAKOUT CONTEST
bait boy Offline
Parr

Loc: Vancouver, Wa,USA
Rt get a yahoo address you can get your email from anyones pc anywhere.

#132424 - 12/10/01 12:26 PM Re: JIG VIRGIN BREAKOUT CONTEST
Osprey Offline
Spawner

Come on Guys get out there.
I'll take the 4th place winner,I'll supply the Silent Approach Jigs..........looks like 4th place just might be the real"winner" wink ....Os

#132425 - 12/10/01 04:53 PM Re: JIG VIRGIN BREAKOUT CONTEST
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey Wizzer of Os, the real winner is the first guy to break the JV squad and move up to varisty! That would be D'dog. As for which is the best prize (that you entered in my contest - classy), both those jig brands are great. But I will only admit SA's are as good as FCJ's if you post an admission right here that Pac 10 Football CHAMPION University of Oregon, which is nationally ranked No. 2 by both the coaches and media polls, got computer shafted by the lame BSC and should be in the national championship game in the Rose Bowl. Waiting .....

wink

#132426 - 12/11/01 01:17 AM Re: JIG VIRGIN BREAKOUT CONTEST
Desertdog Offline
Juvenille at Sea

I posted a pic of the jig fish to the photo gallery. up424.jpg don't know how to put it here in the thread. The good looking one is ... a Steelhead

One question. Is anyone else stupid enough to drive 700+ mi. to catch a couple of steelhead. I think I'll do it again end of the month. If I can talk the wife into it.

I fish therefore I am

#132427 - 12/11/01 02:45 AM Re: JIG VIRGIN BREAKOUT CONTEST
Gregor Offline
Smolt

Loc: America
here ya go d'Dog...

#132428 - 12/11/01 06:10 AM Re: JIG VIRGIN BREAKOUT CONTEST
Anonymous
Unregistered

Nice catch D'dog. Looks like one of my fav color combos of black and cerise. Congrats; and many more. smile Mark is awaiting your e-mail to firstcastjigs@earthlink.net , with your street addy included so he can send out the 6 new jigs to you. Thanks.

RT

#132429 - 12/11/01 12:25 PM Re: JIG VIRGIN BREAKOUT CONTEST
Osprey Offline
Spawner

Classy......thanks Rt.
(Response edited ) wink

The Ducks gave up like 49 pts in a home loss to a decent Stanford team....not good

I got news for Ya even if Miami losses and Oregon wins......Miami will still finish ahead of Oregon.
I don't like the BCS either,but facts are facts.....the Ducks just ain't that good eek .....just my .02....Os

#132430 - 12/11/01 06:30 PM Re: JIG VIRGIN BREAKOUT CONTEST
Anonymous
Unregistered

Osprey,

You couldn't keep your SA promo out of my contest thread - that is what I meant wasn't classy. So be it. It does give the 4th place person some jigs - but not a good image for your SA jig company association.

As for your continued shots at the Ducks ever since they made you and your Dawgs cry last season, keep it in the current football thread please. That's where I addressed your latest incorrect Duck dis. rolleyes rolleyes

Please pardon this unfortunate interuption jig fishers. Back to fishing. smile

#132431 - 12/11/01 07:23 PM Re: JIG VIRGIN BREAKOUT CONTEST
Osprey Offline
Spawner

Reel Truth,
I was only trying to help out a few Virgins wink
I offered my "own" personal Jigs,the fact that I fish S.A. Jigs is my own personal preference.I fish only one brand,where was I supposed to get them from?
This isn't about who jigs are best,I'm not trying to get in urinateing contest here O.K. wink

As far as being a spokesman goes,I'm sure you haven't made Mark too happy at times.

Man lighten up ,I was just trying to help out.
Don't try and read too much into it.

Do we have all our winners yet?

Ya we cried all the way to the Rose Bowl :p ....Os

#132432 - 12/11/01 08:33 PM Re: JIG VIRGIN BREAKOUT CONTEST
Krome Brite Offline
Spawner

You made the right decision, RT. I totally agree with ya, about D'Dog (nice fish, btw) bein' 1st and E'Guy bein' 2nd. E'Guy deserves credit (and a prize) for breakin' his virginity, even if he didn't enter the contest before goin' fishin'. rolleyes laugh

So I guess 3rd/4th place left then? Might be able to get out fishin' Friday, myself, and probably Saturday. Never know I might just 'get layed out' with a nice hen! laugh

[ 12-11-2001: Message edited by: Krome Brite ]

#132434 - 12/12/01 02:00 AM Re: JIG VIRGIN BREAKOUT CONTEST
StorminN Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Blyn, WA
O.K., I'm in for the contest, too. Seeing as I've only caught one steelhead (last Sunday) and it was on a corky & yarn, I think I qualify for the "virgin" catagory... now I just hope those rivers are in good shape Saturday...

-N.

#132435 - 12/12/01 12:32 PM Re: JIG VIRGIN BREAKOUT CONTEST
Net_Boy Offline
Smolt

Loc: Everett,WA,USA
I'm in on the contest. laugh I've not caught a steelie on a jig.

#132436 - 12/12/01 07:01 PM Re: JIG VIRGIN BREAKOUT CONTEST
Anonymous
Unregistered

Is this like a company golf tournament. Or do first liars have a chance. I am in.

#132437 - 12/19/01 05:36 AM Re: JIG VIRGIN BREAKOUT CONTEST
Anonymous
Unregistered

Bringing the jig catching contest back to the top.

We've had too much rain for too long. Now the weather forecasts are for a drying trend coming. And we believe them, RIGHT?!? Well, even if it's only just 'less wet' the rivers are going to come back in sometime in the near future. Steelhead can be caught on jigs in murky water, but they work better when the water clears up some.

We still have prizes for 3rd place (FC Jigs) and 4th place (Os's SA jigs) for the next 2 who posted in this thread to break their jig virginity.

And after that occurs, we'd still like to hear about you other's first experience. smile

RT

#132438 - 12/19/01 09:36 AM Re: JIG VIRGIN BREAKOUT CONTEST
Net_Boy Offline
Smolt

laugh laugh I've finally caught one on a jig! A 7lb summer run buck yesterday on the zipperlip. He hit an orange jig with white tail. Very fun to at last see the jigs work. I've tried them many times. laugh laugh

#132439 - 12/19/01 09:56 AM Re: JIG VIRGIN BREAKOUT CONTEST
springer4you2 Offline
Egg

Loc: Hillsboro, Oregon
I confess!!!
I have never caught a Steely on a Jig.
I am heading down to Northeast Oregon This Weekend For 10 Days and Im Taking some Jigs with me. I feel like such a loser for not trying jigs before. I just Have a good feeling about this trip. I will let ya know how it went when I get back.Im so Stoked
Happy Holidays All!!!

Springer4you2

#132440 - 12/19/01 11:41 AM Re: JIG VIRGIN BREAKOUT CONTEST
Osprey Offline
Spawner

Sounds like Ocusa is th 3rd place winner

Come on you Virgins only one spot left......Get Jiggy with it....Os

#132441 - 12/19/01 02:49 PM Re: JIG VIRGIN BREAKOUT CONTEST
Fishalot Offline
Parr

Loc: Portland, Oregon
I never thought I would catch a Steelhead on jig, however I caught one on the Wilson last week. We drifted and caught fish on divers, plugs and then my good friend takes his rod set up for jig fishing and catches a fish. He tells me go ahead and try it. The same drift same jig, "Bang" down goe's the float, he yell in me ear set the hook so I do stright up just like I have read. Fish on and landed 9# Buck. So can I please have some jigs ?

Fishalot laugh laugh

#132442 - 12/19/01 05:38 PM Re: JIG VIRGIN BREAKOUT CONTEST
Krome Brite Offline
Spawner

CONGRATS, ocus!

Fishalot, are you serious? If so, CONGRATS to you too! I guess it's RT's or Osprey's (or whoever is giving out the jigs) judgement call again on whether or not you win some jigs, since you are a 'newbie' and didn't previously register in this contest. That's number two. rolleyes I'm still gonna give jigs a serious try even if I don't (or didn't)win this contest. This Friday/weekend most likely. I'll tell about my experience after the big jig orgy this weekend. wink

#132443 - 12/19/01 05:57 PM Re: JIG VIRGIN BREAKOUT CONTEST
Anonymous
Unregistered

Congrats for 3rd place Matt (ocus)! Just e-mail Mark at firstcastjigs@earthlink.com and claim your prize. I will e-mail him also. Way to go. smile

Fishalot, I see this is your first post on the Piscatorial board. If you read above your post, I re-stated the original intent of the contest, "We still have prizes for 3rd place (FC Jigs) and 4th place (Os's SA jigs) for the next 2 who posted in this thread to break their jig virginity." You hadn't posted in this thread that you were a jig virgin prior to your catch and post, so I would think you must go catch a second one quickly. But as it's Os's prize for 4th place, I'll let him make the call on this if he disagrees. BTW, congrats on your first jig caught steelie. When the rivers drop more they become more productive, and are just fun to fish with. Thanks for sharing your adventure Fishalot. smile

RT

[ 12-19-2001: Message edited by: RT ]

#132444 - 12/19/01 06:14 PM Re: JIG VIRGIN BREAKOUT CONTEST
Osprey Offline
Spawner

Fishalot....the rules say you must first enter the contest...sorry
No big deal....go get another one wink

I have a collection of Jigs from my own personal collection.So hurry up,because if things clear up on my zipperlip soon,their might not be as many jigs left wink .................Os

#132445 - 12/26/01 02:23 PM Re: JIG VIRGIN BREAKOUT CONTEST
fish4steel Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: yelm, wa
osprey,
did those jigs for fourth place go yet? I went 3 for 4 on a little river on the OP Friday, then 2 for 2 on Sat. All on the jigs you recommended earlier this year. Fun stuff seeing that bobber disappear, picking up the rod tip and feeling the chrome torpedo! And yes, I fessed up previously.

#132446 - 12/27/01 11:26 AM Re: JIG VIRGIN BREAKOUT CONTEST
Osprey Offline
Spawner

Congrats....fish4steel,
way to go laugh
Just drop me a line with you're address and I"ll get those Jigs out asap.........Os

#132447 - 12/27/01 12:14 PM Re: JIG VIRGIN BREAKOUT CONTEST
bobbersdown Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Bellevue Washington
Hi everybody. My name is Tom Jacobs and I am a jig virgin. I have been a jig virgin all my life and until I can recognize my problem and submit to a higher power I will always be a jig virgin. laugh

Sounds too much like twelve step..... no offense meant to anyone in a twelve step program. They work. Hope this one works for me. Let's see, first step tie on a jig, then start fishing. I am headed out on Monday to see if I can join the ranks of the jig majority.

Question - should I be fishing with some pink plastic work on the jig or by itself?

#132448 - 12/28/01 03:43 AM Re: JIG VIRGIN BREAKOUT CONTEST
Anonymous
Unregistered

Congrats fish4steel!

TJ, jigs work real well all by themselves - especially when the water is clearish. Sometimes they work a little better tipped with a piece of sandshrimp tail or a scented piece or rubber pink worm - especially if the water has some color to it. But I like to use about 3 1/2" of pink worm on a jighead hook to fish it by itself. Use the search feature for this BB to look up a thread called Pink Worm, and other like threads, as well as jig threads to find lots of info on both methods. You'll be glad you did. smile

RT

#132449 - 12/28/01 10:15 AM Re: JIG VIRGIN BREAKOUT CONTEST
Buzzo Offline
Parr

Loc: Albany, OR
I can't believe this thread is still going on. I posted back at the beginning practically, but have mostly been fishing smaller streams and doing well without jigs.

Drifted the big river Wednesday and proceeded to catch my first jig steelhead on one of Mark's jigs, then caught two more with the same jig. Probably no prize money left, but I was excited about it and thought I would post, anyway. Like any other method it has its applications, but I wouldn't fish it all the time. I hooked all of my fish in doggy water that I normally don't catch anything in. Thanks alot guys, confidence is key. HT

#132450 - 12/28/01 01:23 PM Re: JIG VIRGIN BREAKOUT CONTEST
Anonymous
Unregistered

Something has changed! I am no longer a jig virgin. It happened on 12/22/01 after what was a 7 and 0 record in favor of the fish, I finally leasrned to set the hook. A 6 lb. steelie broke me in. What fun!

#132451 - 12/29/01 01:46 AM Re: JIG VIRGIN BREAKOUT CONTEST
Anonymous
Unregistered

Good success stories. Way to go! As the peak of the hatchery steelhead season comes upon us in January, and the rivers will likely drop into clearer conditions where jigs do best. Have fun. wink

Hey, another 100th post thread. wink

RT

#132452 - 12/29/01 03:03 PM Re: JIG VIRGIN BREAKOUT CONTEST
Old Man Offline
Spawner

Loc: Silver Star,Mt
First time I used a jig was last year. All I had was a pink crappie jig,but it worked. Hooked a fish on the N/fork of the Sky. I said hooked,was to stupid to try and land it. Went out yesterday(12/28/01). About the third of forth cast the jig got hooked up,On a rock I guess. Tried to break it loose and ended up breaking my rod. I called it a day can't afford to break too many rods. I took it to where I bought it and they sent it out. (Teds,in Lynwood). Jim s. cool

#132453 - 01/03/02 11:45 AM Re: JIG VIRGIN BREAKOUT CONTEST
Net_Boy Offline
Smolt

Just wanted to say thanks to Mark at First Cast Jigs for my prize! i got the jigs in the mail yesterday and they appear top notch. The Owner hooks are killer and the patters are really well tied. I like the plated bead too. Can't wait to use them! laugh laugh

Tight lines,
Matt

#132454 - 01/04/02 06:10 PM Re: JIG VIRGIN BREAKOUT CONTEST
fp Online   content
Old Duffer

Ok, I went out today and caught a pretty large (15#)Hatchery Steelhead on a Jig. First time I have ever used one. It was fun but I would rather get one driftfishing. Just seems more fun feeling the bite than watching the float.
The area that I was fishing it would have been very tough to get one drifting because of very slight current and float and Jig was the trick.

So, another Jig Virgin got popped today. fp

P.S. WhatdidIwin?

#132455 - 01/04/02 06:34 PM Re: JIG VIRGIN BREAKOUT CONTEST
JacobF Offline
Spawner

Loc: Post Falls, ID
I want a prize!! Every steelhead I've ever caught has been on jigs. Surely that's worth something laugh

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Jose, sky
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (fp), 183 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |