Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#132476 - 12/09/01 09:23 AM Re: Most challenging driftboat river sections
bardo Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: union wa
try the wyonochee gorge. its tough on drift boats. ask bill.

#132477 - 12/09/01 10:29 AM Re: Most challenging driftboat river sections
Dick Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Sequim WA
How about the first drop on the Toutle at the start of the canyon before the big blow? eek eek

#132478 - 12/09/01 08:24 PM Re: Most challenging driftboat river sections
Steelheader69 Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tacoma WA
Damned it General ZOg, you beat me to the punch. I used to belong to a whitewater club. We used to do alot of whitewatering. Used to run kayaks and cats on the upper Nisqually. Yeah, I'd say puckers ville in a driftboat. But way up there it's true clas 4/5 whitewater, which is impasilbe with a driftboat no matter whaat a person says. Alot of the clas 4/5's I've run have quite literaly submerged my 16' cat. You submerge a 16' DB and you aren't gonna pop back up like I will smile . I will add this to. Back in my kayak days, Ii've had a handful of friends die on clas 4/5's. One of the main reasons I got out of kayaks. Remember personally seeinnga friend drop off a verticle and not come back up. Luckily we were able to get him out, but the friends of mine that had died weren't accessible without killing us too. Just my disclaaimer, a solid class 4/5 is wicked stuff. It takes alot of strss out of i with 16' cat, but I have a video from our old club showing I do believe an 18' cat literally being thrown 4-5 feet into the air from the compression oof being sucked innto a hydraulic on a clas 4/5. YES, 4 to 5 FEET!!!!

Now, onto drifts. Upper sky Boulder drop. Bear creek/sapho on Duc, Flaming Geyser oon the Green, Upper Toutle are good soliid 4's. Ii do have an older whitewater manual somewhere that llists all whitewater rivers in WA and how to run them and what slots to take. It even lists by mile what classes of rier you are running and for how long you will be in the "zone". Ii still think they'd print it. I may have to buy another one, got rid of some stuff once my kids were born. Had to dwnscale the whitewatering when thy wwer born, and th hunting, an the fishing LOL. I'm more of a fisherman so use my extra time, which isn't much sine i'm asingle Dad, to Fish. I do believe it's called the whitewater guide to Washington Rivers. Check a barnes and nobles, I'm sure thy have it, or go to Amazon books.

I'm actually getting the itch again to d some serious whitewatering. Ii'm an adrenaline junky anyways. Just need to get back into shape once these damned injuries are commpletely healed. Oh yeah, you want a true but puckerer???? I have a picture of a budy running the colorado, all you can see of his 18 foot raft is his helmuted head, the top of his lifevest, and his hands on his cataract oars. All you really see is muddy water al around him and Larry oarin to keep him sel upright. Pretty wild stuff adn i plan on doingit someday.

Northwest River Fisherman

#132479 - 12/10/01 02:03 PM Re: Most challenging driftboat river sections
Kevin Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: seattle,wa
The Green river gorge from Palmer down. Only know a couple of old timers who have run it in a driftboat and they said never again. They came to close to losing it.

Tight lines

Kevin

#132480 - 01/08/02 10:00 PM Re: Most challenging driftboat river sections
Grass Hopper Offline
Smolt

Loc: Woodinville,Wa
THERES ALWAYS THE wIND rIVER IN THE cOLUMBIA RIVER GORGE. Don't tell! I now you out of towners love fishing in my old neighborhood. Come on Down! I could use all your lost gear. Be careful! Been There Dun That!

#132481 - 01/09/02 01:16 AM Re: Most challenging driftboat river sections
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Hmmm, here's my contribution to crazy, I mean challenging, float trips. The Suiattle River, tributary to the Sauk River, would eat a drift boat, but it's floatable in a 12' raft under favorable water conditions - I mean the summer when you won't freeze to death, cuz you ain't gonna' stay dry. The upper Sauk, forks to Clear Creek, is a good run in a raft, probably doable in a driftboat, but I never saw any up there. The Cascade River, tributary to the upper Skagit, I floated once in my canoe - won't try that again, and don't recommend it, but parts of it are doable. Also took the canoe down the lower Sol Duc in low water, when we couldn't get a drift boat down it. That's actually not a bad way to fish it in really low water. Craziest was probably the Weatherwax Canyon on the Wynoochee. Didn't know that was mainly a kayak run before shoving off in the canoe. A couple big rocks fell in after the whitewater book was published, and blocked the canyon, requiring a difficult portage. Don't recommend trying it in a drift boat unless you plan to leave it there and have climbing gear to get out of the canyon. Last but not least is the narrows on the lower Grand Ronde - I've used the raft, but drift boats run it also.

Sincerely,

Salmo g.

#132482 - 01/09/02 02:07 AM Re: Most challenging driftboat river sections
RPetzold Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Everett, Wa
Salmo g.-
Have you ever floated the Suittatle...I have driven about it and that is some of the nastiest looking water I have ever seen.

#132483 - 01/09/02 03:16 AM Re: Most challenging driftboat river sections
Robert Allen3 Offline
Spawner

Loc: vancouver WA USA
stlhdr1 There is a section of the Washougal that is impassible to driftboats! From Big eddy to Mt Norway bridge. Not even Mark Angel could run it and he ran Shears Falls on the Deschutes.

#132484 - 01/09/02 03:28 AM Re: Most challenging driftboat river sections
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Loc: Vancouver, WA
RA3-
I've only played around on the lower washougal, and most of my time over there is for the summer runs from the shore. I'd love to get some pics of that section on the washougal and also the upper-upper East Fork.. And we wonder why the East Fork still holds the state record for a winter run, it has 4 falls that are 6 feet or higher. Not passible...
Keith laugh

#132485 - 01/09/02 10:01 AM Re: Most challenging driftboat river sections
Anonymous
Unregistered

Robert,

Back in my crazier days in my 20's I looked at that narrow boulder strewn whitewater section of mini-falls below Big Eddy on the 'Shou many times before I got up the courage, actually the crazies, to run it in high water with Kevin McKinley (his dad is the former Mayor of Tillamook). That first quarter mile has a hell of a gradient! We put in wide eyed with me on the oars in a custom framed old '6-man' wide tube raft with a special coating from 'Andy & Bax' (they were actually 3-man rafts; 2-man, should be no man, in class 5 rapids as these). We somehow made it down thru there, having to kick off some boulders and using other boulders as intentional pivot helpers. We had on those huge 30# bag rated orange life-jackets, but luckily didn't flip the raft - I don't know how. A game cop who had checked out our truck later saw us pulling the raft out down below this harried section. He told us we were crazy; and that he had helped pull out drowning victims there before. He was really mad at us and let us have the lecture. ... Never again. But we did make it once!

RT

#132486 - 01/09/02 10:42 AM Re: Most challenging driftboat river sections
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Ryan,

Just once with a friend. Lost an ice chest and almost an oar, but otherwise OK. I know the rules about avoiding sweepers, but some places there isn't an opportunity to scout. A couple commercial raft outfits run it regularly, or used to. The floatable reach, if you can call it that, is from the McCloud place near the bridge down to the mouth.

Sincerely,

Salmo g.

#132487 - 01/09/02 02:44 PM Re: Most challenging driftboat river sections
Skywalker Offline
Spawner

Loc: Snohomish, WA, USA
The Sultan launch when the humpy snaggers are in. It's virtually impassible.

#132488 - 01/10/02 10:42 AM Re: Most challenging driftboat river sections
Grass Hopper Offline
Smolt

Loc: Woodinville,Wa
I am glad to see a few East Fork fisherman out there as well as Washougal men. You guys are right! Impassable floats! HHa! Ha! Just put them back on the trailer and head for home no drift boat water here!!!

#132489 - 01/10/02 12:10 PM Re: Most challenging driftboat river sections
Mooch Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kingston, WA
Some respectful nominations for your consideration:

1. Most exciting floats I'd take with somebody elses boat.
a. Upper Nisqually
b. Calawah
c. A whole lotta rivers in the summer or during low flows.

2. Most scenic, challenging, fishy and long floats I will do in MY boat. (Companion boats recommended.)
a. Winter (higher flows only) - Upper Humptulips. What can I say but thank you, RSM. Bill, I noticed you only mentioned the one that is now closed to fishing, hope I didn't give this one away.
b. Summer (high flow recommended) - Klickitat River. Make it a 2-3 day float through the canyon and have some fun in the sun. Be on guard for snakes and the rocks. A buddy landed a +/- 40 lb salmon from the dark chocolate flows. eek

3. Most incredible drift boat trip I will NEVER do again.
a. Upper Cedar River in the watershed. Incredible, because it is simply the most gorgeous, pristine and untouched stretch of ROYAL blue ribbon trout water I have ever seen on this planet (yes, that includes AK, MT, UT, & CO). I will never do it again because it will never be allowed again and even if it were I wouldn't use my boat. This one time event was santioned by all the proper authorities who were looking for a fool to risk his life and craft to plant fingerlings throughout the upper stretch for a wild steelhead enhancement program sponsored by the So Lk Wash TU back in the 80's. If I remember correctly it took about 10 guys to drag the boat to the river and then help rope it down in many places. Without their help the city authorities would have had us take the sterilized boat out in pieces. We even had to pack out our piss. Got some great photos though. I'll try to find them.

4. Most scenic, wild, fishy and underrated float for both novice and expert.
a. Upper Skagit

5. Insane floats I've had enough sense not to take.
a. Green River canyon. Palmer to Flaming Geyser. OK, maybe the fact that there isn't any real access helped me stay away till I knew better. Boy, am I glad now.

6. Floats I didn't like.
a. None. Easy or hard, I love them all in their own special way. Here are some words to remember:
"Difficulty doesn't make them better and easy doesn't make them safer."
and
"Keep yer hands on the sticks and yer bait in the water."
Matt. 8:27   The men were amazed and asked, “What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!”

#132490 - 01/11/02 09:16 AM Re: Most challenging driftboat river sections
OXCAMP1 Offline
Smolt

Loc: VASHON WA US
The falls section of cardiac canyon. Did it back in the early 80's with a bud from Tokeland. Took a 15 fathom shot of half inch poly and iron balls to pull that one off in a 16 foot Lavaro knock-off built at Westport shipyard. Good thing we borrowed the boat for the day as I was bailing steady by the time we hit tidewater wouln't want to take my boat thru that.Anybody out there know where I'm talking about?

#132491 - 01/12/02 01:12 AM Re: Most challenging driftboat river sections
Mooch Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kingston, WA
OK Oxbow. You hooked me. Not only am I curious about what the heck a "15 fathom shot of half inch poly" is, but I been wrackin' my mind all day about this mystery stretch of river you floated. Based on your comments such as "cardiac canyon" and "tidewater", plus the assumption it might be somewhere in WA, where you and your friend were able to do it in a day, there are only two rivers that I can think of that meet the qualifications of a steep gradient to river mouth with canyon that are local. I excluded the following: Elwah (not a "cardiac" canyon), the Green (cardiac canyon yes, but too far to tidewater), Nisqually (possible, but tidewaters pushin it). I wanted to exclude the two that remained because I still want to believe that no one is crazy enough to attempt them in a drift boat. But maybe that's what the "15 fathom shot of half inch poly" was for (something you drink, smoke, hit yourself with or wrap yourself in?). I simply shiver to even suggest them, but could they be the Duckabush canyon (please say not!) or the Dosewallips canyon (heaven forbid!). But I guess I could believe anything after viewing a film of a crazy coworker whitewater raft the Tumwater canyon of the Wenatchee River in the 70's. I look forward to your answer 'cause I just gotta be wrong.

It just occurred to me in closing that the "poly" might be rope. That might make these drifts more "possible", but certainly not anymore fun. By the way, is this friend still a friend? I know I've lost a few pulling the same kind of stunt. Too old for it now. wink
Matt. 8:27   The men were amazed and asked, “What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!”

#132492 - 01/12/02 01:28 AM Re: Most challenging driftboat river sections
Anonymous
Unregistered

Last weekend I'm down in the Dosewallips canyon trying to remove my jig and worm virginity when all of a sudden two whitewater kayakers pop into the hole! eek eek rolleyes I'm thinkin about gettin one of those rigs for EXTREME fishin hole access ability! Geez I spend most of my time floatin around in these spots in my neoprenes...might as well have some comfort. wink

Gooose eek

#132493 - 01/12/02 02:14 AM Re: Most challenging driftboat river sections
jam session Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Lake Goodwin
How about the Salmon River ("of no return")in Idaho? Ran it with 3 teenagers and camping gear in my alumaweld a few years ago in Aug. River was low (about 3000cfs) so some of the big class IV rapids (Big Mallard, Vinegar etc) were easy but some of the others.. Elkhorn etc were rocky and technical. Had to pull one of the rafts in our group off a boulder wrap in Growler. Toughest spot for us was Salmon Falls which is normally a class 3 but the easy side was high and dry. We went down the toughest side which is two big drops with a huge hole in between. Friend took a great picture of us hitting the hole where you could only see me from the waist up and the stern of the boat...everything else was buried in white! Had about a foot of water in the boat but everything and everybody stayed in. 100 miles of whitewater in 6 days...not great fishing that time of year but a great experience.

#132494 - 01/12/02 10:26 AM Re: Most challenging driftboat river sections
Anonymous
Unregistered

It's not suprising to hear about so many upper sections of rivers that have fast gradients and lots of boulders, with large drops per mile of river. I've seen so many of them, but only run a few.

Another large river that is very challenging in the upper section above the dams is the Clackamas River. I've run the wild section of the Rogue, upper N. Santiam during spring runoff, and other large rivers and they are cake compared to this stretch during spring runoff. They have a whitewater competition annually up there, with kyaks and self bailers and helmuts required. You can see some of the biggest rapids from the road up there - such as the Powerhouse and Carter's Bridge rapids. It also has some of the toughest sweepers in existance into rock walls during this high water; at least it used to back then. I haven't seen it up there since the '96 floods for changes.

One spring I was rowing a couple friends down this section in an older but very capable Hopi 12 ft. wide tube with welded aluminum frame. As we approached the top of the Powerhouse rapid, I had to do some fairly easy manuvering thru boulders above the main drop heavy narrow rapids with big rollers that head right for a big log jam. At the top came our scariest moment in whitewater - I did a hard one oar pivot right at the drop off, instead of a double oar pivot, and the right oar snapped in two at the oar lock. YIKES! "OH SH!T - WE'RE F**KED" I yelled. All I could do is keep the raft fairly straight with the left oar, but without being able to backrow it over to the left side of the big curl waves we were headed right at the big log jam. Honestly scared pale - all 3 of us. Just as we hit the jam, I pushed hard on the left oar so we hit the logs at a quartered angle and yelled to lean toward the logs. If you lean away from an obstruction the upriver side can suddenly catch water and sweep underneath almost instantly. This kills lots of people - even with lifejackets on. But we leaned the right way and were able to pull our raft along the jam as heavy water ran under the upriver side, and finally pivoted off into safe water. Wheeeee-ew! We never had a chance to grab the spare 2 part oar tied under the frame until we got down to the large pool below. ... Lesson: be sure your oars are in great shape to do such a hard pulling section of river. And for the toughest rapids it wouldn't be a bad idea to have easier access to the spare oar - maybe put together already.

RT

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (Carcassman), 1090 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645296 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |