LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#132535 - 12/24/01 12:52 AM The Bogie/Clawah brat bonanza.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Seems like the bite is slowing down quite a bit. Still decent fishing but not near what it was. This last high water we had didt seem to yeild the sustainded brat bonanza the earlier high waters did. It is getting to that time when these fisheries may tend to wind down. We might see one or two more decent pushes of fish but I doubt any more huge pushes, the way its looking we might have already seen most of the run.

I think all this high water has pushed most of the fish up into the hatchery creek and the trap. They have already cleaned out the trap two or three times taking 5 to 6 hundred fish each time. The creek is still very full of steelhead dosent look like them cleaning out the trap multiple times has even dented the condensed fish yet.

Time for me to find other places to go or wait for the nates to show. It has got far to crowded and I am not one to camp out on the same rock all day or be stuck in the boat train.

There are a few nates around but not anything to write home about or really target. The ones I have seen caught or heard of at the Bogie or the ponds have mostly been bonked. My expierience of the Duc hasnt been anything to write home about yet. I revieved decent reports before my outing yesterday but there is no reason we didnt hit a few fish up at bear creek. There must have not been anything up there it was a little on the big side but if there were fish we should have hit a few.

I cant believe meat fisherman will kill a nate when there is no reason you cant get a couple of hatchery fish. It just throws me for a loop no respect for the wild fish. There are some people I will never understand.

#132536 - 12/24/01 01:00 AM Re: The Bogie/Clawah brat bonanza.
plug puller Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: At FL410
Rich,
I was up there on thursday and it was ok. I did see a nate bonked but the wilson boat launch. It was about a 6 lbs nate, theere were so many brats in the river, why not release the nate. The fish checker said that the plunckers at the quiliute did well on nates and snider fish. On of the guys gave the fish checker a snider fish cuz he didn't want it. mad Why donk it if he doesn't was it? tight lines laugh

#132537 - 12/25/01 09:46 PM Re: The Bogie/Clawah brat bonanza.
Krome Brite Offline
Spawner

Loc: Washougal, WA
Well, hopefully they'll be releasing all the 'unmarked' (wild/native) fish next year. Sure would be nice if this statewide wild steelhead release was adopted.

BTW, just for my knowledge, what is a 'snider fish'? A spawner/snake/eel, etc.? I wouldn't keep a spawned out steelhead ever, if that's what it was.

#132538 - 12/25/01 10:36 PM Re: The Bogie/Clawah brat bonanza.
Desertdog Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Winnemucca Nv
Rich

Enjoyed your post. Living out of the area it is always fun to read up on what is going on on some of the more popular rivers. I am sure some of the servicemfen from your state enjoyed reading your post as much as I. Thanks.

I fish therefore I am

#132539 - 12/28/01 12:23 PM Re: The Bogie/Clawah brat bonanza.
Krome Brite Offline
Spawner

Back again to the top. Could someone tell me if a snider fish is a spawned out fish?

#132540 - 12/28/01 12:36 PM Re: The Bogie/Clawah brat bonanza.
$$B-MONEY$$ Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Eastside,Wa
Snider fish are Sol Duc native broodstock. Guides and involved anglers teather or tube natives so the gene pool is not harmed in any way. I wish all hatcheries used this way of thinking!

Vision Pro Staff
www.visionhooksandtackle.com

#132541 - 12/28/01 12:38 PM Re: The Bogie/Clawah brat bonanza.
plug puller Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: At FL410
someone correct me if I am wrong but I think a snider fish is from the snider hatchery on the Sol Duc that is a wild broodstock. to make it simpler: the hatchery gets and breeds wild fish and release them from the hatchery. That might be wrong but that is my understanding. laugh

Any new reports from the bogie lately?

#132542 - 12/28/01 11:54 PM Re: The Bogie/Clawah brat bonanza.
CRAVEN MOOREHEAD Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: TACOMA,WA
I think the Snider fish have a missing ventral fin, that is how they are recognized.

#132543 - 12/29/01 01:27 AM Re: The Bogie/Clawah brat bonanza.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Wild Sol duc fish are caught by guides and other anglers and tethered near an access point. Then they call a guy who picks them up and takes them to either the Snider creek rearing pond or the Sol Duc hatchery. THe fish are ultimately taken to the Sol Duc hatchery where they are spawned. The eggs are raised to fingerlings at the Sol Duc hatchery then taken over to the Snider rearing pond untill they are smolt and released the next spring.

I dont believe that the adults are live spawned. I know they are not released after spawning.

I think this is right.

#132544 - 01/02/02 05:26 PM Re: The Bogie/Clawah brat bonanza.
Krome Brite Offline
Spawner

Ah, thanks guys, I get it now.

#132545 - 01/03/02 07:58 PM Re: The Bogie/Clawah brat bonanza.
Pat Graham Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Forks
Didn't any of you read the post about the Snyder Fish. They live spawn the natives and then let them go to spawn again. They dont kill the fish. That would be senseless to have a wild broodstock program and then kill the very fish you are trying to save. You would eventually have nothing but snyder clipped fish returning if you killed them. They release the smolts into snyder creek where they come back to. They let most of them spawn in the wild. But will use some in the trap if they dont have enough broodstock. If you have any questions about how to tether a fish or where to leave them so they can be picked up give me (360)374-5313 or Sam Windle (360)374-5439 a call.

#132546 - 01/04/02 11:36 PM Re: The Bogie/Clawah brat bonanza.
Krome Brite Offline
Spawner

Pat, so you're saying anyone can tether a wild fish in these rivers and then call you or another guy to pick up the fish for the program? Seems to me the tethering thing should only be left to the professionals?

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Carcassman, Clipfin, Danny Clyde, Dannyboy, dk1948, Twitch
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 950 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645361 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |