THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#132547 - 12/25/01 09:29 AM CHRISTMAS and NEW YEAR'S WISH ..... Better BB Demeanor - post your input
Anonymous
Unregistered

EDITED:

Time to discuss ways to improve the BB demeanor. Give us your feedback on this important subject. Thanks. [Edited - to cut down on repitious stuff - RT]. smile

While this is a serious subject, I think there is always a place for humor here and everywhere. But in this thread and others, if any humor is not obviously so, please indicate so by typing a "jk" (just kidding) after it. ... I will start with a few of my suggestions - 'suggested goals', NOT a call for more rules.

- First, think out what you are going to post, and keep it civil and respectful if at all possible, before clicking on the post icon! These factors are particularly significant for heated issue debates. Suggestions?

- When disagreements become strong and can result in insults and improper arguing techniques, let's start using e-mails between the guys in each other's face to settle things privately. Other suggestions?

- I think it's OK and fun to tease and poke a little fun at people. The important thing is not to creep over the line into subtle or outright improper dissing of people. Most of you know about where that line is, and all of us need to adhere to this guideline to help keep things fun and peaceful.

- We need proper and consistent smilie graemlin usage! Use them for clarification if there could be doubt about the intent of any sentence or post. Conversely, don't use these things to decieve and deflect improper post responsibility - so as to cover your arse when you are actally trying to dis someone.

- I would like to address humor. When it's not obvious, put a 'jk' after it so people know you are kidding; it can prevent offending people, which can escalate into negative posts. ... I also think most of you know many of us guys like to post what I call "boat talk"; which includes some 'off color' jokes of a sexual or other sensitive nature. Most all of what I've seen here and on other BBs I would consider acceptable among what is a majority of adults 18 and over - even with members a little younger than that who often hear less benign stuff at school or on TV. ... Also, sensitive members have the option of not clicking on subjects that are offensive to them! Censure does not change the mindset of the world. Nor does reasonably benign adult humor. However,
this should not be allowed to escalate into raunchy X-rated type of stuff either. Keep reasonable. Opinions of this factor?

- Concerning fishing reports, I agree that keeping less known zipper rivers out of public posts that many fishermen read is a wise and proper thing to do. The old adage of 'tell them how but not where' applies to these few precious places that should be left to be discovered by the individual. But is doesn't apply to better known rivers, or areas that get pressure anyway. There are still many more fishermen that don't read the fishing websites than do read them - so I don't think posting reports affects additional pressure as much as some claim it does. And it is a definite value to be shared. Feedback?

- For those not adept at typing, which include a lot of us, please take a short moment to re-read your message to make spelling and sentence corrections before clicking on the post icon. Not a big deal; it doesn't have to be prefect - but this simple quick task will make the BB more readable and enjoyable for all.

- Try to reduce the size of pictures you post. This not only reduces download time for everyone, it saves using too much site storage space. Otherwise pics enhance fishing websites. Most of us love to see fish and outdoor scenery!

HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEYYYYY wink ... EDIT NOTICE: Here's the seeming early consensus that has emerged below - for those who haven't read it all yet, but may not have enough time to - "many of us may need to be a little less sensitive and reactive, in addition to others needing to be more civil in heated threads. I think those 2 factors are at the core of the solution, and the balance we are looking for via this discussion!" ...

..... There may be other issues needing discussion and improvement. If you think of things where adjustments will enhance this site, please post them here. Thanks people. Fish on and post onward. smile

Steve

[ 12-26-2001: Message edited by: RT ]

#132548 - 12/25/01 10:50 AM Re: CHRISTMAS and NEW YEAR'S WISH ..... Better BB Demeanor - post your input
stainless Offline
Eyed Egg

Loc: Dirt, Oregon
RT - Would it not be easier for us to just send you our posts and you could edit them so that it would be just the way you want it?
Improper arguing techniques? "jk" when joking? Whoops I hope I have not offended anyone. The only way that this will ever work is if you have every one get a lobotomy.
What fun is it when people are not being themselves. Look at your back posts. I have. You like to get in there and mix it up....If you let people be themselves Bob will have a great board. But if you want to micro-manage the board you will loose the spontaneity and it will be like that other board that you often point to as in your own words "boring"....

#132549 - 12/25/01 12:15 PM Re: CHRISTMAS and NEW YEAR'S WISH ..... Better BB Demeanor - post your input
Fishbait Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Rivers of OR and SW WA.
Merry Christmas everybody.

#132550 - 12/25/01 12:59 PM Re: CHRISTMAS and NEW YEAR'S WISH ..... Better BB Demeanor - post your input
Dave Jackson Offline
Spawner

Loc: Milwaukie, OR
Ready....set...

#132552 - 12/25/01 01:29 PM Re: CHRISTMAS and NEW YEAR'S WISH ..... Better BB Demeanor - post your input
Chuck Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Let's start by banning the phrase "like that other board".

#132553 - 12/25/01 01:35 PM Re: CHRISTMAS and NEW YEAR'S WISH ..... Better BB Demeanor - post your input
cowlitzfisherman Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Toledo, Washington
RT
I don't envy you on your temporary mediator job. At times, it can be a no-win situation!

You have asked the BB members for some suggestions on how we can clean up some of our posting on Bob's site.

Personally, I think that some of the BB members sometimes make fools out of themselves when they carry on and get to the "name calling" stage. shocked

Maybe you can create a new icon (something i.e. a redneck icon or bad taste) and post it below their name when they get too carried away. :p Remember the old saying "a picture is worth a million words". laugh That way the member can still voice his or her opinion. When the icon appears, he will know that he or she has gone too far, and they can either correct their statement or remain foolish looking to the other BB members.

When it comes to spelling, I am the worse! That's why I almost always use my word processing program before I make a posting on subjects. It works well for me because it also makes me re-read what I am thinking before I post it. My brain goes ten times faster then my spelling and its well worth the extra time and effort to run my postings through the word processor before I post them.

I also think that it would be really great if you and Bob could figure out a way that we could identify certain postings for subjects i.e. "factual", "informational"," opinion", "technical" or "question". If this was done, then postings that were identified, say as "factual", would require some background information on how it was conceived. Likewise, if someone wanted to correct any misinformation that they may believe was in a "factual" posting, then they would have to show their expertise and how they had come to their conclusion that your factual information was incorrect!

For what it's worth, it is my opinion that we are being judged by other members every time we post on this BB. Just how well we can articulate our point of view, or position, to the members makes us subject to needless verbal attack. It's not on how well we can slam one another, but on how well we can articulate our response. I for one don't mind if someone replies negatively to any of my postings. smile I do expect them those to show me in an intelligent reason why they may disagree with the posting. I believe that we should all do our homework first before we post any provocative issues and be prepared to debate the subject in full in a courteous manner.

All in all, Bob has a great web site and I can't thank him enough for allowing us to use it for what he intended us to use it for. Maybe each of us should consider that when we feel ourselves getting a little to "wild". I would also like to thank you, RT, for trying to continually make this a better site. Good job and Merry Christmas!! laugh

That's my 2 cents worth.

Cowlitzfisherman

Is the taste of the bait worth the sting of the hook????

[ 12-25-2001: Message edited by: cowlitzfisherman ]

#132554 - 12/25/01 02:13 PM Re: CHRISTMAS and NEW YEAR'S WISH ..... Better BB Demeanor - post your input
Doubletake Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Duvall, Wa.
RT, I don't envy your job either, this is a great board, and since it is, that means a lot of people will be on here. I personally believe and try to live by (though hard at times) these quotes;

"Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry."
"Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs that it may benefit those who listen."

Simple and plain, if you can't respond with a courteous response, why respond?

I have received much information from the great people that visit this board. I hope this board will continue on without a great amount of strife. Thanks for your time.

Good luck to all

Doubletake

#132555 - 12/25/01 02:19 PM Re: CHRISTMAS and NEW YEAR'S WISH ..... Better BB Demeanor - post your input
silver hilton Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Out there, somewhere
RT, you're stepping up to a noble effort, but I respectfully suggest that it is destined to fail, and indeed, to have the opposite effect to what you intend. I know that you want to make this a fun place for all of us, hopefully while keeping the civility index a little higher than it sometimes is.

I agree with your thought about think before you post. That's simply a good rule for life, and I hope it will grow. But I wouldn't want someone to hold back on a sincerely held thought, simply because someone might take offense.

What makes forums fun for me is precisely the spontaneity and occasional rough edges. Over time, most people learn that the post might not mean what it did the first time through, and to take everything with a grain of salt.

If someone makes a mistake, or gets controversial, the subsequent discussions are where really good information gets exchanged.

If we are to take all of your suggestions thoroughly to heart, I think the result would be pretty sterile. For example, watching what you say so as to not hurt people's feelings? I know a contributor to a regional sportfishing mag that practically bursts into tears whenever anyone suggests that the mag is of less than Pulitzer prize winning caliber. ;-) Well, I'm sorry, but I don't think that's a fair reason not to debate the quality of STS. What if I get offended when someone discusses catch and release? Shall we avoid discussion of this topic? How about the use of bait? Where shall we draw the line? Whose feelings get to be respected? Just the longtimers? What about new folks? What about lurkers? What about *****? If you go down the path too far, eventually you end up with a ladies tea party where nothing happens, and no-one comes.

I, for one, prefer the rougher, no holds barred approach of the open net. A couple of good, creative name calling contests once in a while merely adds to the flavor, and makes it worth checking in. One can choose whether to respond as one wishes, and mature adults will usually hold back.

And if someone's feelings get hurt, well, there's a lesson there. How can anyone really hurt you with words through a computer screen?

I think the appropriate metaphor should be conversation. In conversation by the riverside, we choose what to say, how to say it, and decide as people whether we want to talk about our secrets. If someone gets too wierd, people turn away, and that piece of conversation dies. Noone worries too much about their grammar, and once in awhile a bad word creeps in. Is this bad?

As for worrying about spelling, well, I kan't get too worried about that. Seems to me like worrying about doilies on the dash of a jet sled. Unimportant, and gets in the way of the main task, which is communication. Did my use of the 'k' impede your understanding of the first sentence above?

This all said, Merry Christmas to everyone, and hope you all got a nice Loomis toy in your stocking.

#132556 - 12/25/01 02:24 PM Re: CHRISTMAS and NEW YEAR'S WISH ..... Better BB Demeanor - post your input
silver hilton Offline
Repeat Spawner

Now, that's funny! The Fish Gawdess's name gets filtered by the software! Does that mean we don't have to worry about hurting her feelings?

#132557 - 12/25/01 02:42 PM Re: CHRISTMAS and NEW YEAR'S WISH ..... Better BB Demeanor - post your input
posh II Offline
Returning Adult

Just let RT be the ROLE MODEL......

#132558 - 12/25/01 03:21 PM Re: CHRISTMAS and NEW YEAR'S WISH ..... Better BB Demeanor - post your input
RPetzold Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Everett, Wa
Quote:
Originally posted by posh II:
Just let RT be the ROLE MODEL......

That would be like letting Snoop Dog be the role model for today's youth!!! laugh

#132559 - 12/25/01 04:02 PM Re: CHRISTMAS and NEW YEAR'S WISH ..... Better BB Demeanor - post your input
posh II Offline
Returning Adult

Actually Ryan...I was going to say.."let RT be the role model and let him start with RYAN...
Merry Christmas Ryan..... laugh laugh laugh

#132560 - 12/25/01 06:30 PM Re: CHRISTMAS and NEW YEAR'S WISH ..... Better BB Demeanor - post your input
Anonymous
Unregistered

Good start to discussing these factors. What we want is to come to a consensus and better understanding of how we want this thing to go. ...

EDIT: btw, I don't want to be a role model. Moderators are often held to an unfair higher standard. I'd rather be myself; but in that process keep trying to improve my demeanor on here. Hope others do to. ...

A good example of this in action is Silver Hilton's post here. I think it is a good balance in another direction to what my guideline suggestions attempt to improve upon. BTW, that's an important distinction for my original post here - it is essentially guideline "suggestions" as a goal for improvement! Not at all a call for hardline rules that are overly enforced. This is for a consensus of member opinion discusion on what gidelines to strive for, so as to improve the declining demeanor on the BB. I don't agree with you S'Hilton (can I call you Silton for abbreviation wink ) that it's destined to fail. Because the goal is not for "sterile" perfection at all (we've seen what attempts to do that to a fishing BB can negatively do), it's just a clean up endeavor to make this a more fun and productive site!

As for mixing it up in debates, I like to do that too. It makes for a more lively and interesting board. But we need to learn where that line is of going too far with it. As I said, I am in need of improving with this thing. Many of us are. That's what this thead is about. But some guys badly need to clean up there act. We know who they are, and they know they are it!

Keep the feedback and suggestions coming. Thanks.

RT

#132561 - 12/25/01 10:36 PM Re: CHRISTMAS and NEW YEAR'S WISH ..... Better BB Demeanor - post your input
ONTHESAUK Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Mount Vernon, WA
I mentioned it when I first joined this board. It is very civil compared to 95% of the investment boards out there. Seldom see anyone get really out of line and have never seen a board where people are so quick to say "I'm Sorry" when they get really called on something.

Beyond that, it's a little like watching TV. When one of these back and forth duels get going that appear they will never end, ignore it, don't read it, move on. It keeps them busy and amused but you don't have to participate.

#132562 - 12/26/01 12:42 AM Re: CHRISTMAS and NEW YEAR'S WISH ..... Better BB Demeanor - post your input
silver hilton Offline
Repeat Spawner

RT, you call me anything you want, just don't call me fishless. Call me silton, call me bob, call me anything you can think of. Though I answer well to Fishmaster...

That's a joke, son. :-)

By the way, I think the UBB gremlins are for wimps. Learn to use the darn keyboard. Smilies existed for a long time before this BB software did.

Moving on, I think you support my point. What I wrote as humorous, and clearly labled with a smilie, you think might be inflammatory. Therein lies the rub. It's ambiguous as to whether I intended to insult you. Be advised that I did not (though there might be just a little tweak in there :-)). I intentionally used exaggerated words that appear to have caused your feathers to ruffle. The whole point of the line "practically bursts into tears" line is that, precisely, you weren't moved to tears. It's sarcasm, exageration, extremism, to cause the reader to notice and laugh. Whether or not a reasonable, objective reader would think I crossed the line between humor and abuse is open for debate. For the record, please let me state that my intent was to create an exaggeration for humorous effect.

It's a delicate line. We as humans, are imperfect, and more to the point, we differ from each other. What each of think is funny, and what each of us will think is insulting, will differ.

The essence of the point is, I made a what I thought was a joke, I labeled it as a joke, you made a comment that I am interpreting as you not taking it as a joke. I chose words that I think are useful, in a literary fashion, to make a point. You think they are inflammatory. _WE_ have a difference of opinion. We need not come to blows over it. I don't think you are a bad guy, in fact, quite the opposite. Just to be clear, let me say that you have clearly demonstrated yourself to be 1), a heck of a fisherman, and 2) a pretty public spirited guy. I like to think of myself as the same, though maybe not up to your caliber as a fisherman. But I disagree with you. We have to be able to differentiate between the two postures. We can like each other (or not), and still think each other has his head buried in the nether regions, as regards a certain idea.

And that, my friend, is what makes debate fun. It also creates colorful debate on a board that, once in while, someone is going to think is over the top. The fact that you think my previous line is over the top reinforces my belief that the line is being drawn way too conservatively.

Part of the weakness, and the same time, the strength, of forums, is precisely the lack of editorial control. We get to learn each other as people, and editorial flaws expose us to each other. If we are mature, we realise that we are flawed, and that others are flawed as well, and we that we shouldn't get too exercised about it.

Now, this all said, Bob is the big boss, this is his forum, and you are moderator, so what you guys say is law, is law. But I can't say that I think that you, or we, are well served by even attempting, AS BOSSES, to lay down a law. In my experience, the simple abuse of malefactors by board members at large, is a much more effective medium of civil control. The metric of benefit to the sponsors of the board is visits, and that is driven by interest. Censorship will decrease interest, even if that censorship is only disapproval by the membership.

So I simply suggest that when someone goes over what we think the line is, we pile on, and we'll all learn where the line is. Once in awhile, someone will go over, and that will be instructive as to where the line is. And we should all be cautious about voicing our disapproval too freely.

Kind of like having kids, isn't it?

I suggest that anyone who wants an education to what forums can be like, check out rec.outdoors.fishing.fly, rec.sport.golf, the bulletin boards at www.akflyfishers.org, and www.virtualflyshop.com.

On the the rec.outdoors.fishing.fly, aka ROFF, do a search for posts by George Gherke, yes, of Gherke's Gink fame, and you will never again complain about jerks on this forum again. This is a pretty darn civil place, almost too much so.

Finally, is your email up to date in your profile? I'd love to send you a comment privately, but I sent you a message on another topic with no response, and so have no confidence in that mechanism.

Again, Merry Christmas to all.

#132563 - 12/26/01 01:04 AM Re: CHRISTMAS and NEW YEAR'S WISH ..... Better BB Demeanor - post your input
Gregor Offline
Smolt

Loc: America
RT - you spelled sensitive wrong laugh

#132564 - 12/26/01 01:19 AM Re: CHRISTMAS and NEW YEAR'S WISH ..... Better BB Demeanor - post your input
Anonymous
Unregistered

Just want to know how far I can go bustin a lurkers chops? Otherwise I'm one 'ell of a peaceful guy. I think you all know what I mean.

Gooose laugh

#132565 - 12/26/01 03:36 AM Re: CHRISTMAS and NEW YEAR'S WISH ..... Better BB Demeanor - post your input
Anonymous
Unregistered

Now that was a great post and communication of your concept for a good BB aura S'ilton. Seriously. It helped convinced me of my suspicions that I am too thin skinned and reactive at times; as are some others. You are right that I didn't recognize that your exagerated comments about my STS defensiveness were to make it humorous. And you did have the smilie after it. :-) It would help to know someone better when reading such stuff of course. When we don't know someone and they don't know you, perhaps it's still best to let them know you are kidding by a "jk" or 'wink smilie' after it. Likely would help avoid inadvertantly offending people on ocassion. But you are right, many of us may need to be a little less sensitive and reactive, in addition to others needing to be more civil in heated threads. I think those 2 factors are at the core of the solution, and the balance we are looking for via this discussion! ...

Besides, as with many others, that way I can keep cutting loose on here without as much concern about it offending people. laugh BTW, anyone who thinks my quips on here are a bit edgy sometimes, you should see the way I am out in the boat! But out there people can see your real facial expression and voice tone to really understand a conveyance better, by far. ...

Also, I don't make the law around here as a moderator - temporary or otherwise. Bob makes the rules.

So, it is a thin line we tread, as S'ilton has conveyed well. And maybe the "pile on" thing, done in a reasonable manner, will be the indicator when someone is out of line. Of course that is arleady happening; just make it a little more civil when jumping on guy's posts is what I suggest will improve things.

Keep more feedback coming.

- S'ilton, my new e-mail addy is reeltruth1@yahoo.com

RT

#132566 - 12/26/01 11:04 PM Re: CHRISTMAS and NEW YEAR'S WISH ..... Better BB Demeanor - post your input
silver hilton Offline
Repeat Spawner

Peace, bro'.

Two hits, no conversions today. So we gave up at 11:00am and went and played golf. Shoulda seen the looks on the faces of the guys at the golf course when we pulled the boat into the parking lot, parked it, and pulled out our clubs.

Golfing and fishing in the same day. What a male bonding experience!

#132567 - 12/26/01 11:15 PM Re: CHRISTMAS and NEW YEAR'S WISH ..... Better BB Demeanor - post your input
Fish Jesus Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tacoma
Silver, I have also done the same double header action only with bowhunting and fishing laugh No strange looks my way!

FJ...out.

#132568 - 12/26/01 11:46 PM Re: CHRISTMAS and NEW YEAR'S WISH ..... Better BB Demeanor - post your input
Anonymous
Unregistered

Fine discussion and much needed. My personal bef is when someone posts as a supposed rookie with an innocent question....then in further posts shows their true colors in stirring the sheat. There's about a half dozen of these posters on the board....who eventually fall back on the same old excuse of seeking a reasonable educated discussion on issues when challenged as to what they are and where they are coming from. Hey no problem with discussing these issues in a reasonable fashion...but why hide as something your not and why the smartarse meaningless posts if thats what you're wanting?

Another question is the noticeable similarity in writing mannerisms...curious ain't it?

Gooose laugh

#132569 - 12/27/01 12:29 AM Re: CHRISTMAS and NEW YEAR'S WISH ..... Better BB Demeanor - post your input
silver hilton Offline
Repeat Spawner

Well Gooooooooose, (damn, lost count...)

I'd say, drill 'em. My approach would be to simply call them by the wrong name, and see if they answer.

Course, there is the question, does it really matter. In other forums, they call this trolling - posting a controversial question to stir up a ruckus, simply for the poster's amusement. The generally recommended response to a troll is earth shattering silence.

#132570 - 12/27/01 12:31 AM Re: CHRISTMAS and NEW YEAR'S WISH ..... Better BB Demeanor - post your input
fishinfreak Offline
Parr

Loc: Olympia, WA USA
RT,
I believe your intentions are good, the problem is that everyone needs to respect everyone elses opinions, even though all (the majority)who post here are avid sportfishermen/women, different backgrounds seem to create the most conflict, i.e. c&r vs. bonking, nates vs. hatchery fish, sleds vs. bankies and each are steadfast on there beliefs which i understand, but, i would ask that each take the time to think about it before you post. GOOOSE very well said, people like that have nothing else better to do than try to stir up some stuff...You all enjoy the new year i will be gone for the NEXT THREE MONTHS, OOOHHHH ****! No more chasing the winter steelies. Peace to all
Matt

#132571 - 12/27/01 12:50 AM Re: CHRISTMAS and NEW YEAR'S WISH ..... Better BB Demeanor - post your input
Anonymous
Unregistered

Silver Hilton can't disagree with the "ignore'm strategy." My personal belief though is when you see it "point it out" and "bonk it." Gives the alert to everyone else and sets the tone....usually causes them to disapppear. Others realize their mistake and join the board as a reasonable poster. As you notice I tend to ignore stinky bait....but fresh meat well...love it.

Another thought....I see damm few of some guys apologizing or at least coming to middle ground with someone they disagree with...just a notion.

Gooose

laugh

#132572 - 12/27/01 02:15 AM Re: CHRISTMAS and NEW YEAR'S WISH ..... Better BB Demeanor - post your input
G-MAN Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: BELLINGHAM / EVERSON
What a AWESOME site. I stumbled on it a couple of days ago looking for a river report for the sky. Did'nt find that suposably web site, but been here every night. I'm the typical river fisherman, "I've been fishing the river for 31 years, I know it All and I'm the Best". But I'm smart enough to know even after 31 years there are alot of you that know even more than me and are better at it. I also know that if I was right only 50% of the time, I'd play the stockmarket and I'd be RICH! Is being right really worth slam'n each other? Are issues or our opinions worth getting hot over? No, but some things are worth discussing or even debate. And if we keep an open mind we might find out we were wrong about somethings. I think this is an awesome site to pass on our knowledge to others to keep this great sport alive. Want a fight, something to get HOT over? Go to Fund For Animals, or PETA web pages. That'll warm you up! Lets keep it clean, I want to share you guys with my 10yr old son, who caught a 11lb silver and a 13lb King out of the Sack this Fall, and not have to explain certain words or pharases to him he have'nt heard yet. {we home school, and do alot of Feild trips in the sled together} Thanks guys. I'll wave when we go by. G-MAN From B'Ham.

#132573 - 12/27/01 11:52 AM Re: CHRISTMAS and NEW YEAR'S WISH ..... Better BB Demeanor - post your input
silver hilton Offline
Repeat Spawner

Gooose,

Have no problems at all with the "bonk it" strategy, and in fact, vigorously agree. I call it the "abuse and pile on" strategy, whereby idiots are simply abused by the rest of the population. Works well for the general idiot population. Some folks will learn a behavior of being obnoxiuous for the sake of generating a rise from others, and those I think
you just have to ignore.

The risk is knowing what is idiotic. As the years go on, I find myself less confident that I know. I am reminded of a saying by Mark Twain: (paraphrased) "When I was 15, I knew everything and my father knew nothing. When I was 18, I found I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in the last three years."

#132574 - 12/27/01 01:56 PM Re: CHRISTMAS and NEW YEAR'S WISH ..... Better BB Demeanor - post your input
Osprey Offline
Spawner

Loc: Osprey Acres /Olympja
This BB is about personal opinions and Ideas,Thats what makes it what it is.

Some of Us have been called Bias (insert some stupid face here)
the real truth is that our opinions are just different,if that's bias than so be it.

I'm all for us getting along,but some of us just aren't lemming eek
I think we all have something to offer discusions,we just need to remember we don't all think the same or share the same ideas......It's not personal...thats all wink

Happy Holidays.......Os

#132575 - 12/27/01 03:51 PM Re: CHRISTMAS and NEW YEAR'S WISH ..... Better BB Demeanor - post your input
CATCH AND EAT Offline
Smolt

Loc: portland
Demeanor? :p :p :p Bahhhh humbug rolleyes I think it's great that we all have differing opinions. If we did not we would all be fishing with RT's pink worms instead of trying new stuff wink .

It is the differing of opinions that makes or breaks a board. Sharing information about rivers, tackle, equipment, boats...you'll get a gamat of opinions. Example a $300.00 rod is better than a $50.00 rod. Nope, just the skill of the fisher using it. Sure the $300.00 rod is nicer but does it catch more fish? Nope.

Just differing opinions laugh

By the way, sandshrimp works best! eek

#132576 - 12/27/01 05:44 PM Re: CHRISTMAS and NEW YEAR'S WISH ..... Better BB Demeanor - post your input
Bob Offline

Dazed and Confused

Loc: Forks, WA & Soldotna, AK
Differning opinions are what make boards great ...

Nobody wants a board that is always lovey-dovey. BUT ...

There is a line that gets crossed, sometimes once in awhile ... other times, when things get ugly it seems like every day.

This line is often hard to distinguish, but I will say that I'm going to be a little more harsh in keeping things on the side of it that I'm looking for.

Differing opinions and controversial subjects are (usually laugh ) welcomed on the board ... but discussions will remain civil and not look like a bunch of third graders acting like third graders. Take that crap elsewhere, for everyone's sake on the web, preferably to email.

If you don't like it, tough ... it's my board wink

"You CANNOT fix stupid!"

#132577 - 12/27/01 06:52 PM Re: CHRISTMAS and NEW YEAR'S WISH ..... Better BB Demeanor - post your input
cowlitzfisherman Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Toledo, Washington
Bob

Your right on top of this issue! If some of these people can't clean up their act, then so be it! laugh

It's your site, rolleyes and you have managed it great. smile If others don't like the rules, then they do have other choices or options to take! If for some reason any of my postings ever get into the name calling area, please delete them. laugh

You have given all of us an opportunity to use your site at your expense. What more can we ask for?

I have never had the chance to meet you, but I hope that someday, that will happen. People just need to use plain old common sense in there writings and postings!

Thanks again for letting us use your money and site to express our opinions

Have a quick recovery, and a great new year!

Cowlitzfisherman laugh

#132578 - 12/28/01 08:34 PM Re: CHRISTMAS and NEW YEAR'S WISH ..... Better BB Demeanor - post your input
CATCH AND EAT Offline
Smolt

Third graders? When is recess? laugh Bob is there a recess button or graemlin on this board? I still feel like a third grader most of the time in my life. wink Wait, yep it's called getting kicked off the board and then begging to get back on eek . I really hated my Third grade teacher. Left me emotionally scared and all that. laugh

..... That's OK Bernie. We feel your pain. Just take in deep breaths each and every day, and study hard. You will find yourself in the 4th grade before you know it. :p

[ 12-28-2001: Message edited by: RT ]

#132579 - 12/29/01 12:23 PM Re: CHRISTMAS and NEW YEAR'S WISH ..... Better BB Demeanor - post your input
retriever Offline
Smolt

Loc: Renton, Wa
Silver H.
Fishin and golfin the same day. Isn't this weather great!!
I did the same doubleheader the other day and scored a fish and a birdie- neither one of them happen often enough.

Peace to all.

#132580 - 12/29/01 12:23 PM Re: CHRISTMAS and NEW YEAR'S WISH ..... Better BB Demeanor - post your input
Steelheader69 Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tacoma WA
What in the world are youu guys asking for Bob and RT????? You want a bunch of sissies talking over tea? What a bunch of *********. RT, what are youu, somm sort of long haired hippy??? Shouuld we all get out oour birkenstocks and start singing kumbahyah my lord??? This is a load of horse ****. What a bunch of pansies. Nothing but yes men to whatever Bob and RT say. You shoould al be ashamed of yourselves. OOPS!!!! I'm thinking of that OTHER board. smile hehehe, j/k.

I've never had a problem on here. It's hard to offend me, normaly I get more trouubled on how ignorant some people can be. I feel if you can dish it, you should be able to take it back. The only one thinng I'd HIGHLY suggest is that if sommeon agrees to come to this board, their email be accessible to other registered users. Too often I've tried to email soemone flaming on a post, only to find that their address isn't accesible. As much as I hate to say this, but mmaybe Jjen had a good idea by also cleaning out BB addresses, all hotmail type addreses needed a viable reason as to why they have it, or you got your acount scrubbed out. Too often people will sign up a fictitious email account only to be able to sign up a new nickname. Then start flaming under that nick unnoticed.

I'll also try and correct my mistakes on this new damned keyboard Ii have. It's a wireless, and sucks. But I can surf so much faster with it that it's tradeoff Ii'm taking. I'll try and correct any doouble letters or missing letters. Just hard when you normaly are a fast typer. Plus, the mouse I have on this remote link is a pain in the butt to work with, so scrolling to make corrections are hard.

Northwest River Fisherman

#132581 - 12/29/01 02:35 PM Re: CHRISTMAS and NEW YEAR'S WISH ..... Better BB Demeanor - post your input
Skywalker Offline
Spawner

Loc: Snohomish, WA, USA
RT, I think you're working too hard. This board is superior to anything else out there, even with it's occasional breaks from civility.

I wouldn't try so hard to lay out the ground rules for decorum. Just let the consensus that usually arises (as in, the group beatings that lurker trolls usually invoke) take care of the situations as they arise. Sure, sometimes things take on too much of an aggressive tone and need to be nipped, but usually it's self monitoring. By and large the people here are grown up enough to know how far they can go before the thread becomes out of control.

Heck, if you're not sure what the masses think about a specific thread as to whether or not it should continue, just ask! Personally I think a vast majority would probably have the same opinion on where to draw the line, whose posts are over the top, etc.

For the individuals, I would suggest that before you go off blasting someone that has jumped on your case, you ask them specifically if they really meant what they said, and include details. Ask for clarification, as in "Did you mean to say that just because I XXXXXXXXX, I should always ZZZZZZZ?" Usually if they're reasonable they'll back off because they realize they went beyond the limits of a reasonable debate.

#132582 - 12/29/01 02:40 PM Re: CHRISTMAS and NEW YEAR'S WISH ..... Better BB Demeanor - post your input
Skywalker Offline
Spawner

Loc: Snohomish, WA, USA
I almost forgot.... Hope everyone had a great Christmas, Hannukah, Ramadan, whatever, and are looking forward to great New Year!

Had my knee partially rebuilt on 12/20, am hoping to get out there soon enough to catch the tail end of the brat season. In the mean time, peace (on the board anyway, elsewhere when the situation dictates, give 'em hell!), and tight lines!

#132583 - 12/29/01 10:29 PM Re: CHRISTMAS and NEW YEAR'S WISH ..... Better BB Demeanor - post your input
Anonymous
Unregistered

Jerry, what I was mostly trying to improve is when threads get out of control with escalating harsh bashing, and also lurkers that register a moniker only to attempt degrading someone. Not to take away the reasonble banter among us - which I have lots of fun participating in. smile

I think you have good points Skywalker. The guys here will take care of most of the jerk posts by letting them have it. Otherwise like I said above, some reasonable 'in your face banter' is fun. "Reasonable" is the gray area of interpretation though. Some members who have posted or e-mailed complaints about such type of posts or threads know that they can write to Bob or any of the mods if peer pressure fails to bring crap under control. ... But I agree, all in all things are going really well on Bob's BB. Great site.

RT

[ 01-02-2002: Message edited by: RT ]

#132584 - 12/31/01 11:02 PM Re: CHRISTMAS and NEW YEAR'S WISH ..... Better BB Demeanor - post your input
posh II Offline
Returning Adult

RT....get a life and some new scapegoats for your
comments. The red-haired lady from T-town deserves better than your empty-headed personal comments.

#132585 - 12/31/01 11:46 PM Re: CHRISTMAS and NEW YEAR'S WISH ..... Better BB Demeanor - post your input
R Ridgeway Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Seattle
Fishing...sensitive....feelings? I love ya man!!!

#132586 - 01/02/02 12:44 AM Re: CHRISTMAS and NEW YEAR'S WISH ..... Better BB Demeanor - post your input
stainless Offline
Eyed Egg

Loc: Dirt, Oregon
How do you know who the "lunkers" are? What happens if someone is new, they make a mistake and then they try to make up for it? Do you (A) Tell everyone else to ignore them so that they are now an outcast? (B) give them a second chance?What do you think?
I think that every post here has some truth in it. However, human nature is not something that you can shape into a nice bundle. It is a fee spirit that roams in all of us. The emotions that are produced from someone getting ruffled can not be set down with a cute symbol. Being civil (with in reason) is for the real world. With all of this discussion about how to speak to each other and to symbol each action as to not hurt any feelers I am wondering if I am reading woman's world.
Especically, when you dig someone and then put a smile behind it. Now thats okay. Witch? Nice one - Like you did not mean that.

#132588 - 01/02/02 08:51 PM Re: CHRISTMAS and NEW YEAR'S WISH ..... Better BB Demeanor - post your input
CATCH AND EAT Offline
Smolt

RT, you edited my post without my permission? You Dawg! wink Fourth grade teacher was'nt much better. Hated here too. mad

RT just respond in line so I can see ya blindsiding me next time dude. Hey, hope the o'l butt is feeling better eek . You sure look funny sitting on a donut in the boat. laugh laugh

Demeanor: de-meanor you is de-meanor I gets! :p

#132589 - 01/02/02 09:17 PM Re: CHRISTMAS and NEW YEAR'S WISH ..... Better BB Demeanor - post your input
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey Bernie (C&E), sorry if one of your posts got deleted. But I wasn't me. Seriously. Don't make it into another silly 'hand off' thing. wink But I did delete Pitch Pocket's post though. It was above Aunty's triple rolleyes to P.P., about his harsh sacastic criticism of several members that qualify as adverse to lurkers who only post bashes behind changing monikers. Offensive. Wasn't what we were trying to do with this thread at all. I figure it might have made P.P. feel cheated or singled out or censured? Gee, if you had several of your more benign posts deleted Pitch, you would begin to feel as I and others have felt about other BB dynamics. ...

And Posh II, I can understand you being a woman disliking the word I used in my joking post above to Jerry - wasn't to you, just to Jerry. So I will take it out anyway; edit myself so-to-speak. smile But allow me to suggest that before you publicly post that someone needs "to get a life" that you walk a mile in a harrassed man's shoes before you do.
----------------

I think this was a good discussion, with some better guidelines acknowledged. ... But it has run it's course and some jackels are beggining to arrive, to chew on the dead horse. smile Time to move along, so I'm closing my thread.

RT

[ 01-02-2002: Message edited by: RT ]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
m_ray, Str8nr
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (OLD FB), 216 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |