THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#132568 - 12/26/01 11:46 PM Re: CHRISTMAS and NEW YEAR'S WISH ..... Better BB Demeanor - post your input
Anonymous
Unregistered

Fine discussion and much needed. My personal bef is when someone posts as a supposed rookie with an innocent question....then in further posts shows their true colors in stirring the sheat. There's about a half dozen of these posters on the board....who eventually fall back on the same old excuse of seeking a reasonable educated discussion on issues when challenged as to what they are and where they are coming from. Hey no problem with discussing these issues in a reasonable fashion...but why hide as something your not and why the smartarse meaningless posts if thats what you're wanting?

Another question is the noticeable similarity in writing mannerisms...curious ain't it?

Gooose laugh

#132569 - 12/27/01 12:29 AM Re: CHRISTMAS and NEW YEAR'S WISH ..... Better BB Demeanor - post your input
silver hilton Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Out there, somewhere
Well Gooooooooose, (damn, lost count...)

I'd say, drill 'em. My approach would be to simply call them by the wrong name, and see if they answer.

Course, there is the question, does it really matter. In other forums, they call this trolling - posting a controversial question to stir up a ruckus, simply for the poster's amusement. The generally recommended response to a troll is earth shattering silence.

#132570 - 12/27/01 12:31 AM Re: CHRISTMAS and NEW YEAR'S WISH ..... Better BB Demeanor - post your input
fishinfreak Offline
Parr

Loc: Olympia, WA USA
RT,
I believe your intentions are good, the problem is that everyone needs to respect everyone elses opinions, even though all (the majority)who post here are avid sportfishermen/women, different backgrounds seem to create the most conflict, i.e. c&r vs. bonking, nates vs. hatchery fish, sleds vs. bankies and each are steadfast on there beliefs which i understand, but, i would ask that each take the time to think about it before you post. GOOOSE very well said, people like that have nothing else better to do than try to stir up some stuff...You all enjoy the new year i will be gone for the NEXT THREE MONTHS, OOOHHHH ****! No more chasing the winter steelies. Peace to all
Matt

#132571 - 12/27/01 12:50 AM Re: CHRISTMAS and NEW YEAR'S WISH ..... Better BB Demeanor - post your input
Anonymous
Unregistered

Silver Hilton can't disagree with the "ignore'm strategy." My personal belief though is when you see it "point it out" and "bonk it." Gives the alert to everyone else and sets the tone....usually causes them to disapppear. Others realize their mistake and join the board as a reasonable poster. As you notice I tend to ignore stinky bait....but fresh meat well...love it.

Another thought....I see damm few of some guys apologizing or at least coming to middle ground with someone they disagree with...just a notion.

Gooose

laugh

#132572 - 12/27/01 02:15 AM Re: CHRISTMAS and NEW YEAR'S WISH ..... Better BB Demeanor - post your input
G-MAN Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: BELLINGHAM / EVERSON
What a AWESOME site. I stumbled on it a couple of days ago looking for a river report for the sky. Did'nt find that suposably web site, but been here every night. I'm the typical river fisherman, "I've been fishing the river for 31 years, I know it All and I'm the Best". But I'm smart enough to know even after 31 years there are alot of you that know even more than me and are better at it. I also know that if I was right only 50% of the time, I'd play the stockmarket and I'd be RICH! Is being right really worth slam'n each other? Are issues or our opinions worth getting hot over? No, but some things are worth discussing or even debate. And if we keep an open mind we might find out we were wrong about somethings. I think this is an awesome site to pass on our knowledge to others to keep this great sport alive. Want a fight, something to get HOT over? Go to Fund For Animals, or PETA web pages. That'll warm you up! Lets keep it clean, I want to share you guys with my 10yr old son, who caught a 11lb silver and a 13lb King out of the Sack this Fall, and not have to explain certain words or pharases to him he have'nt heard yet. {we home school, and do alot of Feild trips in the sled together} Thanks guys. I'll wave when we go by. G-MAN From B'Ham.

#132573 - 12/27/01 11:52 AM Re: CHRISTMAS and NEW YEAR'S WISH ..... Better BB Demeanor - post your input
silver hilton Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Out there, somewhere
Gooose,

Have no problems at all with the "bonk it" strategy, and in fact, vigorously agree. I call it the "abuse and pile on" strategy, whereby idiots are simply abused by the rest of the population. Works well for the general idiot population. Some folks will learn a behavior of being obnoxiuous for the sake of generating a rise from others, and those I think
you just have to ignore.

The risk is knowing what is idiotic. As the years go on, I find myself less confident that I know. I am reminded of a saying by Mark Twain: (paraphrased) "When I was 15, I knew everything and my father knew nothing. When I was 18, I found I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in the last three years."

#132574 - 12/27/01 01:56 PM Re: CHRISTMAS and NEW YEAR'S WISH ..... Better BB Demeanor - post your input
Osprey Offline
Spawner

Loc: Osprey Acres /Olympja
This BB is about personal opinions and Ideas,Thats what makes it what it is.

Some of Us have been called Bias (insert some stupid face here)
the real truth is that our opinions are just different,if that's bias than so be it.

I'm all for us getting along,but some of us just aren't lemming eek
I think we all have something to offer discusions,we just need to remember we don't all think the same or share the same ideas......It's not personal...thats all wink

Happy Holidays.......Os

#132575 - 12/27/01 03:51 PM Re: CHRISTMAS and NEW YEAR'S WISH ..... Better BB Demeanor - post your input
CATCH AND EAT Offline
Smolt

Loc: portland
Demeanor? :p :p :p Bahhhh humbug rolleyes I think it's great that we all have differing opinions. If we did not we would all be fishing with RT's pink worms instead of trying new stuff wink .

It is the differing of opinions that makes or breaks a board. Sharing information about rivers, tackle, equipment, boats...you'll get a gamat of opinions. Example a $300.00 rod is better than a $50.00 rod. Nope, just the skill of the fisher using it. Sure the $300.00 rod is nicer but does it catch more fish? Nope.

Just differing opinions laugh

By the way, sandshrimp works best! eek

#132576 - 12/27/01 05:44 PM Re: CHRISTMAS and NEW YEAR'S WISH ..... Better BB Demeanor - post your input
Bob Offline

Dazed and Confused

Loc: Forks, WA & Soldotna, AK
Differning opinions are what make boards great ...

Nobody wants a board that is always lovey-dovey. BUT ...

There is a line that gets crossed, sometimes once in awhile ... other times, when things get ugly it seems like every day.

This line is often hard to distinguish, but I will say that I'm going to be a little more harsh in keeping things on the side of it that I'm looking for.

Differing opinions and controversial subjects are (usually laugh ) welcomed on the board ... but discussions will remain civil and not look like a bunch of third graders acting like third graders. Take that crap elsewhere, for everyone's sake on the web, preferably to email.

If you don't like it, tough ... it's my board wink

"You CANNOT fix stupid!"

#132577 - 12/27/01 06:52 PM Re: CHRISTMAS and NEW YEAR'S WISH ..... Better BB Demeanor - post your input
cowlitzfisherman Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Toledo, Washington
Bob

Your right on top of this issue! If some of these people can't clean up their act, then so be it! laugh

It's your site, rolleyes and you have managed it great. smile If others don't like the rules, then they do have other choices or options to take! If for some reason any of my postings ever get into the name calling area, please delete them. laugh

You have given all of us an opportunity to use your site at your expense. What more can we ask for?

I have never had the chance to meet you, but I hope that someday, that will happen. People just need to use plain old common sense in there writings and postings!

Thanks again for letting us use your money and site to express our opinions

Have a quick recovery, and a great new year!

Cowlitzfisherman laugh

Is the taste of the bait worth the sting of the hook????

Is the taste of the bait worth the sting of the hook????

#132578 - 12/28/01 08:34 PM Re: CHRISTMAS and NEW YEAR'S WISH ..... Better BB Demeanor - post your input
CATCH AND EAT Offline
Smolt

Third graders? When is recess? laugh Bob is there a recess button or graemlin on this board? I still feel like a third grader most of the time in my life. wink Wait, yep it's called getting kicked off the board and then begging to get back on eek . I really hated my Third grade teacher. Left me emotionally scared and all that. laugh

..... That's OK Bernie. We feel your pain. Just take in deep breaths each and every day, and study hard. You will find yourself in the 4th grade before you know it. :p

[ 12-28-2001: Message edited by: RT ]

#132579 - 12/29/01 12:23 PM Re: CHRISTMAS and NEW YEAR'S WISH ..... Better BB Demeanor - post your input
retriever Offline
Smolt

Loc: Renton, Wa
Silver H.
Fishin and golfin the same day. Isn't this weather great!!
I did the same doubleheader the other day and scored a fish and a birdie- neither one of them happen often enough.

Peace to all.

#132580 - 12/29/01 12:23 PM Re: CHRISTMAS and NEW YEAR'S WISH ..... Better BB Demeanor - post your input
Steelheader69 Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tacoma WA
What in the world are youu guys asking for Bob and RT????? You want a bunch of sissies talking over tea? What a bunch of *********. RT, what are youu, somm sort of long haired hippy??? Shouuld we all get out oour birkenstocks and start singing kumbahyah my lord??? This is a load of horse ****. What a bunch of pansies. Nothing but yes men to whatever Bob and RT say. You shoould al be ashamed of yourselves. OOPS!!!! I'm thinking of that OTHER board. smile hehehe, j/k.

I've never had a problem on here. It's hard to offend me, normaly I get more trouubled on how ignorant some people can be. I feel if you can dish it, you should be able to take it back. The only one thinng I'd HIGHLY suggest is that if sommeon agrees to come to this board, their email be accessible to other registered users. Too often I've tried to email soemone flaming on a post, only to find that their address isn't accesible. As much as I hate to say this, but mmaybe Jjen had a good idea by also cleaning out BB addresses, all hotmail type addreses needed a viable reason as to why they have it, or you got your acount scrubbed out. Too often people will sign up a fictitious email account only to be able to sign up a new nickname. Then start flaming under that nick unnoticed.

I'll also try and correct my mistakes on this new damned keyboard Ii have. It's a wireless, and sucks. But I can surf so much faster with it that it's tradeoff Ii'm taking. I'll try and correct any doouble letters or missing letters. Just hard when you normaly are a fast typer. Plus, the mouse I have on this remote link is a pain in the butt to work with, so scrolling to make corrections are hard.

Northwest River Fisherman

#132581 - 12/29/01 02:35 PM Re: CHRISTMAS and NEW YEAR'S WISH ..... Better BB Demeanor - post your input
Skywalker Offline
Spawner

Loc: Snohomish, WA, USA
RT, I think you're working too hard. This board is superior to anything else out there, even with it's occasional breaks from civility.

I wouldn't try so hard to lay out the ground rules for decorum. Just let the consensus that usually arises (as in, the group beatings that lurker trolls usually invoke) take care of the situations as they arise. Sure, sometimes things take on too much of an aggressive tone and need to be nipped, but usually it's self monitoring. By and large the people here are grown up enough to know how far they can go before the thread becomes out of control.

Heck, if you're not sure what the masses think about a specific thread as to whether or not it should continue, just ask! Personally I think a vast majority would probably have the same opinion on where to draw the line, whose posts are over the top, etc.

For the individuals, I would suggest that before you go off blasting someone that has jumped on your case, you ask them specifically if they really meant what they said, and include details. Ask for clarification, as in "Did you mean to say that just because I XXXXXXXXX, I should always ZZZZZZZ?" Usually if they're reasonable they'll back off because they realize they went beyond the limits of a reasonable debate.

#132582 - 12/29/01 02:40 PM Re: CHRISTMAS and NEW YEAR'S WISH ..... Better BB Demeanor - post your input
Skywalker Offline
Spawner

Loc: Snohomish, WA, USA
I almost forgot.... Hope everyone had a great Christmas, Hannukah, Ramadan, whatever, and are looking forward to great New Year!

Had my knee partially rebuilt on 12/20, am hoping to get out there soon enough to catch the tail end of the brat season. In the mean time, peace (on the board anyway, elsewhere when the situation dictates, give 'em hell!), and tight lines!

#132583 - 12/29/01 10:29 PM Re: CHRISTMAS and NEW YEAR'S WISH ..... Better BB Demeanor - post your input
Anonymous
Unregistered

Jerry, what I was mostly trying to improve is when threads get out of control with escalating harsh bashing, and also lurkers that register a moniker only to attempt degrading someone. Not to take away the reasonble banter among us - which I have lots of fun participating in. smile

I think you have good points Skywalker. The guys here will take care of most of the jerk posts by letting them have it. Otherwise like I said above, some reasonable 'in your face banter' is fun. "Reasonable" is the gray area of interpretation though. Some members who have posted or e-mailed complaints about such type of posts or threads know that they can write to Bob or any of the mods if peer pressure fails to bring crap under control. ... But I agree, all in all things are going really well on Bob's BB. Great site.

RT

[ 01-02-2002: Message edited by: RT ]

#132584 - 12/31/01 11:02 PM Re: CHRISTMAS and NEW YEAR'S WISH ..... Better BB Demeanor - post your input
posh II Offline
Returning Adult

RT....get a life and some new scapegoats for your
comments. The red-haired lady from T-town deserves better than your empty-headed personal comments.

#132585 - 12/31/01 11:46 PM Re: CHRISTMAS and NEW YEAR'S WISH ..... Better BB Demeanor - post your input
R Ridgeway Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Seattle
Fishing...sensitive....feelings? I love ya man!!!

#132586 - 01/02/02 12:44 AM Re: CHRISTMAS and NEW YEAR'S WISH ..... Better BB Demeanor - post your input
stainless Offline
Eyed Egg

Loc: Dirt, Oregon
How do you know who the "lunkers" are? What happens if someone is new, they make a mistake and then they try to make up for it? Do you (A) Tell everyone else to ignore them so that they are now an outcast? (B) give them a second chance?What do you think?
I think that every post here has some truth in it. However, human nature is not something that you can shape into a nice bundle. It is a fee spirit that roams in all of us. The emotions that are produced from someone getting ruffled can not be set down with a cute symbol. Being civil (with in reason) is for the real world. With all of this discussion about how to speak to each other and to symbol each action as to not hurt any feelers I am wondering if I am reading woman's world.
Especically, when you dig someone and then put a smile behind it. Now thats okay. Witch? Nice one - Like you did not mean that.

#132588 - 01/02/02 08:51 PM Re: CHRISTMAS and NEW YEAR'S WISH ..... Better BB Demeanor - post your input
CATCH AND EAT Offline
Smolt

RT, you edited my post without my permission? You Dawg! wink Fourth grade teacher was'nt much better. Hated here too. mad

RT just respond in line so I can see ya blindsiding me next time dude. Hey, hope the o'l butt is feeling better eek . You sure look funny sitting on a donut in the boat. laugh laugh

Demeanor: de-meanor you is de-meanor I gets! :p

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Dick laxton, Lil Blue Sled, Lil Red Sled, Solash, The Moderator, WeServe
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (steely slammer), 1315 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645375 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |