THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#133018 - 01/01/02 12:13 AM Left Handed Reels?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Was just wondering after observing all the guys fishing this year. How many right handers use left handed bait casting reels? I'm a righty and have been fishing lefty reels for 14 years. When steelie fishing there's a reason for it and I was just wondering how many understood it....pretty sure the old hands know? Have had several urban types comment on my lefty selection this year as being an oddity. Just a notion if any one wants to discuss it?

Gooose laugh

#133019 - 01/01/02 12:37 AM Re: Left Handed Reels?
SteelieSteve Offline
Alevin

Loc: Wilsonville, Oregon
The only way to go. I'm a righty too and have been using left handed reels for over 20 years. Rod stays in your power arm and theres no switching hands and possibly fish.

#133020 - 01/01/02 12:38 AM Re: Left Handed Reels?
ltlCLEO Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: brownsville wa.
The only bait caster I own is an 01.I have to set the hook with my right hand,without switching hands.don't have this problem with my Diawa spinning reel!
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!

#133021 - 01/01/02 12:42 AM Re: Left Handed Reels?
Anonymous
Unregistered

SteelieSteve nailed it laugh . If your a righty you gotta switch hands with a righty reel....even worse if your in free spool thumbin it as you should be when drift fishing.

Gooose laugh

#133022 - 01/01/02 02:06 AM Re: Left Handed Reels?
Reel Time Offline
Fry

Loc: Estacada, OR USA
This is really a Northwest thing. I recently spent a year in West Virginia and did alot of fishing over there. They couldn't grasp the concept of a right handed person using a lefty reel. I also believe all left handed people should use right handed reels. However, I rarely see that. Any of these out there?

#133023 - 01/01/02 02:10 AM Re: Left Handed Reels?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Im right handed and use a left handed spinning and fly reels. As for baitcasters ( which I use exclusively in the winter)I use right handed reels. I cant use a left hander to save my life. I even bring my own plug reel along when I go out in the boat as the guys I fish with are mostly left handed reel guys. Dont know why but I just cant use a left handed baitcaster. I use the switch hand method, It just comes natural to me.

#133024 - 01/01/02 02:19 AM Re: Left Handed Reels?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Took me a year to get use to it but Rich G I suspect being young and having fast reflexises makes up for your handicap...JK :p . Seriously it was tough to adapt.

Gooose laugh

#133025 - 01/01/02 02:47 AM Re: Left Handed Reels?
ltlCLEO Offline
Repeat Spawner

My sweety is a south paw.I can not fish with her setup. Had a hell of a time teaching her a couple of knots.I think she likes me not being able to fish her rod though!

#133026 - 01/01/02 02:51 AM Re: Left Handed Reels?
Desertdog Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Winnemucca Nv
I know it has been at least 10 years+ a couple since I went left. Just feels better. I changed after a shoulder injury forced me to learn to cast lefthanded for the entire fall salmon and winter steelhead season. I liked not switching hands after casting so when I got healed up I went for a lefty.

Wife informed me the other day that her next baitcaster would be a lefty too. I think it has something to do with the experiance this fall with big fish and switching hands.

I like it cause I don't have to switch hands when things heat up.

I fish therefore I am

#133027 - 01/01/02 02:57 AM Re: Left Handed Reels?
ltlCLEO Offline
Repeat Spawner

That took some effort? I can't imagine switching but if it came down to fishing and not fishing?????
I try and try with my wifes and I miss every time!Maybe if I tied my right behind my back! laugh

#133028 - 01/01/02 03:28 AM Re: Left Handed Reels?
John Lee Hookum Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Area 51
I'm a righty and cast with both left and right hands. This allows me to fish in tight places.
Some times you can't get in closer with a left handed cast. I think that it is more important
to learn how to cast with both hands. It can be
done with practice. I just like the way the reel
feels when I'm cranking with my left. I have plenty of power in my left arm for fighting fish.
Its not like arm wrestling. rolleyes

Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of
Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter
of the gods.

-- Albert Einstein

#133029 - 01/01/02 04:41 AM Re: Left Handed Reels?
JacobF Offline
Spawner

Loc: Post Falls, ID
I think the reason younger people are using left handed reels is because we grew up with spinning reels which are mostly left handed.

#133030 - 01/01/02 05:27 AM Re: Left Handed Reels?
Metalhead Mojo Offline
Spawner

Loc: Browns Point
it really depends on the kind of fishing you do...if your drifting it really doesnt matter...but if you cast and retrieve all day it helps to switch the load (cast with the right/retreive with the left) it keeps one arm from wearing out after a long day...any serious bass fisherman can explain this

#133031 - 01/01/02 11:30 AM Re: Left Handed Reels?
Desertdog Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Winnemucca Nv
Serious bass fisherman? Is that some kind of oxymoron?

I fish therefore I am

#133032 - 01/01/02 12:14 PM Re: Left Handed Reels?
Steelheadman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Poulsbo, WA,USA
I'm a righty and haven't used a casting reel for some time. I use spinning reels with the handle on the left with the reel facing down and cast with my right. The handle can be changed to either side. I used to cast with my right, switch my rod to my left and crank with my right with the reel on top until I was corrected. When I fish off a boat, in the salt, I hold the rod in my left hand and reel with my right.

#133033 - 01/01/02 02:11 PM Re: Left Handed Reels?
River Riches Offline
Alevin

Loc: Steilacoom, Wa
Fishing with a left hand wind bait caster is the only way to seriously fish on a river when you are casting all day. By the same token my buddy is left handed who can only fish with right hand reels. If we are fishing in my boat and happen to be pulling plugs he can't do it. It is kind of funny. I even have my big boat rod reels for Tuna and billfish specially made for left hand reeling. This way I never have the fish or the strike in the "wrong" hand. Most quality fishing reel companies have salmon and steelhead sized reels readily availabe fortunately. smile

#133034 - 01/01/02 06:23 PM Re: Left Handed Reels?
HSL Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: seattle
I'm right-handed, but I cut my teeth learning to fish for largemouth bass, so I always used the traditional bass reel: baitcaster with the right-hand crank. As such, I learned to set a mean hook with my weaker, more uncoordinated left arm. All the while, I was learning to use fly reels and spinning reels with left cranks -- which felt a lot more natural to me.

So when I started fishing for steelhead, it seemed like the best choice would be a baitcaster with a LEFT crank, which -- as stated by many -- allows you to hold the rod, follow your drift and set the hook with your right hand. Definitely seems like the best way to go if you're right-handed.

#133035 - 01/01/02 06:31 PM Re: Left Handed Reels?
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
Being a South Paw, I use a right handed reel. It only makes sense. Why a right handed person would use a right handed reel is beyond me.

#133036 - 01/01/02 08:11 PM Re: Left Handed Reels?
plug puller Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: At FL410
It is wierd, I am righhanded except when fishing. It just feels natural reeling with my left hand. laugh

#133037 - 01/01/02 08:58 PM Re: Left Handed Reels?
CRAVEN MOOREHEAD Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: TACOMA,WA
I too am a right hander who uses a left hand retrieve. I talked to a Shimano dealer a couple years ago about why some reels weren't offered in left hand models and they told me it's because of a lack of demand. They said that the majority of their left handed reels were sold in the Northwest and the demand wasn't that strong anywhere else. Kinda strange.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (stonefish, wolverine), 1053 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645297 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |