LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#133222 - 01/02/02 01:10 PM Luv 15 or Steelhead Tennis anyone?
GutZ Offline
The Original Boat Ho

Loc: Bellevue
While Fishing the Sol Duc with my good Friend Collin and His 10 year old daughter Sunday we hooked up on beatiful Fish. I just love it when the rod is doubled over and the drag is screaming for MERCY before you even touch it. This fish went balistic. We got her to the boat and Collin went to net her and got his thumb caught, on the dip he flipped the fish about five feet into the air, on the way down he made another desperate attempt to net her, but only bonked her again. For some reason the fish was still hooked. We brought her up once again and into the net she went. A couple of quick pictures and back she went.

Any stories or advice on proper netting technique for my friend Collin would certainly be appreciated.

Thanks GutZ

#133223 - 01/02/02 01:33 PM Re: Luv 15 or Steelhead Tennis anyone?
Predator Dawg Offline
Spawner

Loc: land of sun
Head first! Always.

#133224 - 01/03/02 12:50 AM Re: Luv 15 or Steelhead Tennis anyone?
fishkisser99 Offline
Spawner

Loc: Eastsound, WA, USA
Be sure to keep your eye on the fish, and follow through with a smooth, easy stroke. Also, always remember to return to the center of the boat to await the next volley...

#133225 - 01/03/02 12:26 PM Re: Luv 15 or Steelhead Tennis anyone?
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
You need to net fish like The Kid does. eek

First off, get yourself a deep pocketed Beckman net. Great nets for those that are COMPITANT enough to net a fish! (Not The Kid) wink

Hook and fight a fish.

When the fish is close enough to net, plunge the net in the water and be sure to get the hook(s) tangled in the top of the net. Since it's a Beckman with that ultra-deep pocket, the hooked-tangled fish will stay right on the very top of the net and won't fall down in to the basket.

Shake hard once like you're almost trying to net the fish. Be sure to make it look very akward and not very fluent. That will yank the hooks out of the fishes mouth! The fish will then just fall over the net and back in the water unharmed!

Ok, maybe it's not the best of ideas to let The Kid net your fish if you actually want to KEEP it or have it around long enough to get a photo! wink

#133226 - 01/03/02 01:52 PM Re: Luv 15 or Steelhead Tennis anyone?
GutZ Offline
The Original Boat Ho

Loc: Bellevue
Parker I have seen that style used many times. wink

#133227 - 01/03/02 02:28 PM Re: Luv 15 or Steelhead Tennis anyone?
baddawg Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Everett WA
I fish alone often and have to both handle the fish and net at the same time. I've found it best to bet the net in the water before the fish is next to the boat. Then a nice smooth motion to net the fish head first. the more jabbing, turning of the net,etc.. the more problems.

baddawg
Quote:

#133228 - 01/04/02 10:58 PM Re: Luv 15 or Steelhead Tennis anyone?
Krome Brite Offline
Spawner

Loc: Washougal, WA
What about netting the fish sideways, instead of head first. I've seen it done and done it myself a few times. Never lost a fish for somebody yet.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
BigRedHead, Gene, Milton Fisher, Selther, SpinyRayLover
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
4 registered (Carcassman, stonefish, steely slammer, wolverine), 1182 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645374 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |