LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#133265 - 01/02/02 09:09 PM Eggs, Pink Worms, or Spinners, or confidence?
trouter Offline
Parr

First off, since I'm fairly new here, I would like to say this BB contains some tremendous info. to less experienced steely chasers, like me.

There is a small stream located in Vancouver that is giving me a migrane. I've had limited success catching Steelies the past couple of years just casting small plugs. But this year, when its loaded with more fish than any other year I can't buy a fish. I've seen other people catch bright fish on just about everything. So this brings me to my question. Should I switch tactics to something I'm not experienced with, or keep fishing my small plug(that I've caught fish on the past couple years)with confidence? Even though my confidence is fading.
Thanks for any input,
Perplexed in BG

#133266 - 01/02/02 09:16 PM Re: Eggs, Pink Worms, or Spinners, or confidence?
Divers Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle
If your plugs work use it. Build your catch rate with what works and then try something new and practice and it will happen. Also ask some of the guys that are catching consistantly what they are using (they might not wanna share this info)
Maybe you can try jigs.

#133267 - 01/02/02 09:18 PM Re: Eggs, Pink Worms, or Spinners, or confidence?
Chromeo Offline
Spawner

Loc: Kenmore, WA
i know that its hard to change but try. the only thing i have alot of confidence on is drifting bait and corkies or glowballin' laugh . i think that once you get a fish on somethin else your confidence sky rockets.
tyler

#133268 - 01/02/02 09:24 PM Re: Eggs, Pink Worms, or Spinners, or confidence?
Dave Jackson Offline
Spawner

Loc: Milwaukie, OR
Best lure in the world won't catch fish in your bathtub. Unless you're running a mini-hatchery in your bathroom.

Use what you're confident with, as long as it's known to catch fish.

#133269 - 01/02/02 11:33 PM Re: Eggs, Pink Worms, or Spinners, or confidence?
ltlCLEO Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: brownsville wa.
Steelhead arn't incredibly smart,or choosy,if they are not harrased.Use what you have confidence in,if that doesn't work try something else.The last thing you want to do is become single minded like me!

#133270 - 01/02/02 11:51 PM Re: Eggs, Pink Worms, or Spinners, or confidence?
First Bite Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: OR
trouter
If you're not catching any fish with your plugs then try something different. For winter steelhead I'll dedicate one rod for fishing only the pink worm. I have tremendous confiednce in the pink worm and use it every time I fish. It's good to have a variety of options when fishing for steelhead whether it's plugs, spinners, pink worms or jigs. You never know what the fish are in the mood for.

Mark

[ 01-02-2002: Message edited by: First Cast ]

Nobody makes a tougher jig...PERIOD!

#133271 - 01/03/02 12:17 AM Re: Eggs, Pink Worms, or Spinners, or confidence?
RiverMan Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: oregon
I totally agree with First Cast. Although there is certainly something to be said for confidence, why continue to use a particular approach if it is not working? Watch very closely what others are doing and where they are doing it. Steelhead will lay in very predictable locations and certain approaches will take fish in these areas day after day. Learn to fish with a bobber, on the bottom and also with plugs, they all have their place and all will be the "hottest thing going" on a particular day. Good luck!

RM

#133272 - 01/03/02 12:34 AM Re: Eggs, Pink Worms, or Spinners, or confidence?
Dances Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Clarkston Wa
Trouter, take me to this small stream thats loaded with fish and I share all my knowledge with you laugh laugh laugh

Fishhead 5

Doug Richert
www.Hellscanyonsportfishing.com

#133273 - 01/03/02 01:18 AM Re: Eggs, Pink Worms, or Spinners, or confidence?
plug puller Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: At FL410
I rarely use bait. most of the time I just use corkies/cheater and yarn w/no bait. But if the water is less than 4 or 3.5 feet visibility I used eggs or shrimp along with the yarn. laugh I have had better results with no bait then with bait, it is kinda strange if you think about it eek laugh

#133274 - 01/03/02 08:01 AM Re: Eggs, Pink Worms, or Spinners, or confidence?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Trouter,

First off I would say you are among the few that use plugs from the bank. That can be a very effective way to fish - when they are in the mood for them. We've obviously had a lot of rain this season. With the river up and more colored, plugs become less effective than if the water is lower and clearer. That's because when the river is lower the fish can see the plug better and they are also usually 'holed' up and become more territorial, so strike plugs more often. Like Mark said, have at least a small aresenal of different types of lures and bait, and learn how to use them. And in what conditions they are most effective. For the higher colored water of ****** Creek after rains, try a small hot pink Spin N Glo with egg clusters drifted near the bottom thru all good looking holding spots, where fish will rest during there higher water movement. Watch where and how the guys catching fish are doing it. You will pick it up fairly quickly by reading good fishing literature and having astute river side observation. >

By the way, don't mention the name or where that little stream is. We have a lot of good Vanc. anglers that might be upset if a small zipperlip river gets mentioned. smile Mention all the big well know rivers you want to though.

RT

#133275 - 01/03/02 02:26 PM Re: Eggs, Pink Worms, or Spinners, or confidence?
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Trouter,
This is a great little creek. The best part about it is you can fish it in either high muddy water or low partial clear conditions. When it's on the drop and clearing is when I'd recommend bait (shrimp, eggs, chunks of prawns) with a size #10 flame orange or rocket red corky or cheater. If your fishing the falls in high water go with a double size #10 or #8 flame orange corky with the same colored yarn and fish it from the north side, and take a heavy meatstick because when you hookem they turn and burn and you have no place to run.
As for the plugs, as RT said it's not a common tactic but works at times and I will add to what RT had said that matches up with colder clearer water and that's the river temp usually will drop and that's especially when you want to use hardware (spinners, spoons, plugs), as the fish become a bit lethargic and it sometimes takes some flash to get them moving. But remember the hardware works best in those clearer water conditions.
Keith laugh

#133276 - 01/03/02 10:38 PM Re: Eggs, Pink Worms, or Spinners, or confidence?
Anonymous
Unregistered

For this creek try a bobber and jig set up. It will allow you to fish more water effectively. The pink worm on a collar is a very good starter.

Have you had any problems with the local creekside vagrants? I have noticed a few more than normal down there.

#133277 - 01/03/02 10:50 PM Re: Eggs, Pink Worms, or Spinners, or confidence?
silver hilton Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Out there, somewhere
If the creek is the one I think it is, or even if it isn't, I'd try pearl pink corkies with some pink yarn, and maybe a small goober of egges (that's a technical term, boys and girls, write if you want the definition). If the water is clear and cold, I'd try working a small to mid sized silver spoon, like a little cleo. Also a small to mid sized spinner. That's what I used to use a lot when I lived down there.

Thre are also a couple of theories to try. One is, look at what the guy who is carrying fish out has on his rod, and use that. Exactly that, and watch him for a while to see how to use it. The other is, look at what the guy who is carrying the fish out has on his rod, and use something dramaticallly different JUST AFTER HE LEAVES. I often do well by showing the fish something different than what they see all the time.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Carcassman, Clipfin, Danny Clyde, Dannyboy, dk1948, Twitch
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 946 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645361 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |