LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#133411 - 01/03/02 10:10 PM Is this cheating??
Bigdog2250 Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Stanwood,Wa
Been trying to get in as much drift boat time as possible buy I'm old and beat up and my shoulders won't take it.I have considered selling the drifter and buying a sled but that's alot of bones to be putting out right now.
Here's my question.Would it be considered cheating or some sort of bad form to slap an electric on my transom? Just a little something to help with pulling plugs or getting across that frog water.
I've been looking at around 54-56 lbs.Anybody had any luck with these.Any preferance to make?
And what shaft length?I was thinking about 42". Thanks in advance.

P.S. Saw a couple of nice chromers that were taken out of North Fork Stilly today.One was about 12#

[ 01-03-2002: Message edited by: Bigdog2250 ]

#133412 - 01/03/02 10:18 PM Re: Is this cheating??
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
Cheating? Yeah, if you're the guy who's still rowing his boat. laugh

That's not cheating, that's making the necessary adjustments. laugh If the ol' arms need some help, then by all means.

Look at the Minn-Kota or MotorGuide 24-volt models. You'll need the longest shaft available (42-48"?) for best performance on a driftboat. 2 deep-cycle batteries are the other thing you'll need.

Once you get set up, you'll have a MEAN boondogging outfit and might want to give it a try to take a break from pulling plugs, which will eat your batteries.

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#133413 - 01/03/02 10:23 PM Re: Is this cheating??
Maguana Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Hoquiam/Newton
It's not cheating or bad form. Who cares what others think. You do what ever you can to keep fishing a way that you enjoy. We put an electric on the back of my drift boat to troll for cut-throat last summer and it worked great. Even thought of usuing it on a drift for the frog water. Go for it.

#133414 - 01/03/02 10:48 PM Re: Is this cheating??
RPetzold Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Everett, Wa
I've got the perfect solution. Give me your driftboat and buy a sled. When you want to go down the river in the peace in quiet of a drifter, I'll take you down the river. And when you need someone to join you in your sled, I'm up for it. wink

#133415 - 01/03/02 11:06 PM Re: Is this cheating??
FlyH20 Offline
Smolt

Bigdog,
The only problem with doing this is in a normal year when we have a selective fishery during march and april on the skykomish it is illegal to fish from a boat with a motor whether your under power or not. So you have to make sure of the rags if your fishing a river that has selective rags.

#133416 - 01/03/02 11:51 PM Re: Is this cheating??
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Loc: Vancouver, WA
They also make 30 minutes of tidewater rowing a lot easier. We use one down here, and in frogwater there's nothing better. As for pulling plugs, it works great too. I run a 42" shaft Minn Kota and forget the model #. But it produces 50 some pounds of thrust. It's a single battery but as Dan S. said you go to the dual battery with the 70 some pounds of thrust and you'll darn near be able to head back up through the riffles.
Keith laugh

#133417 - 01/04/02 11:19 AM Re: Is this cheating??
Doug Kelly Offline
Spawner

Loc: Bothell WA
must be a full moon, last night as i lay in bed i pondered the same thing, am thinking about buying a drift boat but the old back is not what it use to be, any ways the same thought went through my mind, and i figured no its not cheating not going to stay of the water just because what others might think every one does what they have to do to enjoy life as long as its not hurting any one else. just my .02 worth, doug

#133418 - 01/04/02 12:04 PM Re: Is this cheating??
Bigdog2250 Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Stanwood,Wa
Thanks Fellas, I just ordered a Minn Kota 65# thrust transom mount with a 42" shaft.It runs on 12 or 24 volts. Your info was priceless. See ya all on the river.I'll be the one waiving with both hands!!! I figure if it becomes unlawful to fish with a motor,I'll pull it and I'm sure I can find a stickman.
Sorry Ryan about not selling the drifter yet.AkKings,we will still fish eventhough I won't be needing your arms. Thanks again to all who posted.

#133419 - 01/04/02 03:31 PM Re: Is this cheating??
Kevin Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: seattle,wa
I just got one for Christmas and its great when out with the wife and kid. I mounted it on the back and turned the throttle around. Now I get to fish too even though I just end up handing it off to the wife or kid. Found that if you have to deep cycles it will last you most of the day.

Tight lines

Kevin

SRBC

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
landcruiserwilly, Tom Trune
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (wolverine), 433 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645372 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |