Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#133444 - 01/03/02 11:02 PM MEMBER'S LINE TESTS
Anonymous
Unregistered

From the 'Super Lines ...' thread came an idea to have a member's line test thread, to last for a while for definitive results.

Coot and others with the equipment can give us results of diameter measurements, and many others (including River Man and Sniggler) can do comparison pull tests or weight tests for strength comparison. We would appreciate any test input from members, as we can all benefit a lot from consensus results!!! Comments on river casting/handling of these lines will be valuable to add to these test results.

Some line suggestions for test candidates. Add your's also. ....

Super Braids:
- Power Pro
- Fireline
- Tuf Line
- Others? (add your's below)

Monofiliment:
- Maxima; Chameleon and Ultra Green (Perfection?)
- Berkley; XT, Big Game, XL
- Izorline; Platinum
- Ande; Tournament Green
- Fluoralcarbon leaders?
- Others? (add your's)

I will add that in addition to diameter and pull/weight tests of new lines, that we also compare braids that have been used a few weeks to the exact same line new; as River Man aluded to. I would expect the new line to be stronger, but not much stronger. Using a tester or weights should be more informative than direct line to line break off tests against used lines, because the one that breaks could be almost as strong, or not near as strong; but difficult to tell which in that scenario.

Also I'll mention that I have used 30 lb. Tuf lines for years and have older ones that consistently survived a hook snag pull out when 25 lb. Maxima leader broke at the same swivel; even survived a number of Maxima breaks against the same Tuf line knot (lazy to re-tie laugh - Of course it was 30 vs 25, but impressive braid performance). This was during Tillamook tidewater tug-o-wars with big Kings in snaggy areas, where I haven't fished for a couple seasons. But I haven't had the Power Pro braid I've been using long enough to see if it endures like that too.

Thanks guys for any help or other ideas.

RT

[ 01-03-2002: Message edited by: RT ]

#133445 - 01/03/02 11:17 PM Re: MEMBER'S LINE TESTS
Chromeo Offline
Spawner

Loc: Kenmore, WA
maxima crystal ivory. i think its a little more limp than the other maxima.
tyler

#133446 - 01/03/02 11:27 PM Re: MEMBER'S LINE TESTS
Divers Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle
There was an article in the saltwater fishing magazine (june or july issue) that had all the monofiliment on the market. Each were givin a knot strength and wet/ mean etc.test. This test was done using 20# test. The winner of this test was Stren.(yuck) folled by P-line and few other on the top ten. Maxima marine green, Chameleon was in the middle, they did not test UG. Avereage breakage on the 20# test were closer to 30#s.

#133447 - 01/03/02 11:41 PM Re: MEMBER'S LINE TESTS
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Loc: Vancouver, WA
I'd like to see the stren extra strength tested, it's the only line I'll use on spinning rods.
Keith laugh

#133448 - 01/04/02 12:16 AM Re: MEMBER'S LINE TESTS
Fish Jesus Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tacoma
How about McCoy green in 8# & 10# test?

FJ...out

#133449 - 01/04/02 01:14 AM Re: MEMBER'S LINE TESTS
Keta Offline
Repeat Spawner

I have found that the manufactures play alot of games with the diameter and #test specs they print on the packaging. How many people really measure the thickness or do any breaking tests? Even if tests are performed,they are usually very unscientific. Maxima ultra green is a very popular line and I have to agree it is one of the best, but if you measure it you will find it is larger in diameter than the package states and the stated diameter is larger than most other lines of the same #test. Of couse this will give the impression that it is stronger/better than the others. For me the real test of a line is not only the strenght/diameter ratio,but based on my impression of how the line holds up to actual fishing conditions over a period of time. Does it seem to lose all its strenth after breaking off snags? Does it have good knot strenth with knots that can be tied when your fingers are frozen? Does the line break at the first unseen nick? Does it hold up to pulling a fish around a snag. Is it stiff , have alot of memory or come off the reel bad? These are all things I take note of when deciding which line is best. They are all mostly opinion so what works for me might be crap for others. Also a good line for one type of fishing might be crap for some other type of gear. The line I like best for the river fishing I do at this time is Yo-zuri camo green(mono). It has excellent strength to diameter ratio,very abrasion resistant and has taken all the abuse I have given it with no problems. Really good line. For the salt, trolling jigging mooching I like Power pro with yo-zuri leader.

#133450 - 01/04/02 11:18 AM Re: MEMBER'S LINE TESTS
Jellyhead Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: St. Helens, OR
I'll second the stren Extra strength. I was a little skeptical at first about it. I don't think it's quite #16 test (for 10lb Dia.) but it will go against 12lb. ultra green in a break test.

Also, stren magnathin is dynamite on spinning reels. Nice small dia, and good breaking strength. I heard a rumor that they have quit making this. Bummer.

Aaron

#133451 - 01/04/02 11:21 AM Re: MEMBER'S LINE TESTS
Jellyhead Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: St. Helens, OR
I'll second the stren Extra strength. I was a little skeptical at first about it. I don't think it's quite #16 test (for 10lb Dia.) but it will go against 12lb. ultra green in a break test.

Also, stren magnathin is dynamite on spinning reels. Nice small dia, and good breaking strength. I heard a rumor that they have quit making this. Bummer.

Aaron

#133452 - 01/04/02 01:44 PM Re: MEMBER'S LINE TESTS
4Salt Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Lynnwood, WA
I personally have had good results with Ande. I tried a spool of Izorline Platinum this winter, and was very impressed as well.
I usually run 12# main-line, 10# leader for most winter fishing applications. I've never had a problem with line-shy fish and rarely, if ever, lose a fish to a main-line failure.

#133453 - 01/04/02 07:26 PM Re: MEMBER'S LINE TESTS
RiverMan Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: oregon
Hey RT and others,

It's great to see the enthusiasm for the line tests. I hope that if we are going to do this, we do it right. All of us recognize that there are personal preferences for various types of fishing situations. Any test, however, can only measure so many variables. And, the data will only be as valuable as the test. As much as possible, it's important to remove all bias. Following are a few ideas I have for the test, others may have additional ideas to reduce error.

1. A qualified scale would likely be the most consistent method of measure; a "pull test" with a swivel between lines would be an alternative;

2. Each line and or pull test between lines should be conducted three or more times to reduce error as a result of poor knot or line construction.

3. Line diameter in addition to line poundage will be part of data, some lines are far larger in diameter but have same poundage rating, maxima being a good example;

3. Tests should be conducted on both new and used lines. Used lines should in some way best approximate "real-life" wear but also be consistent from one line to another. The point being that each "used" line must be "used" the same amount to provide a fair comparison. Control for this test will be difficult due to the variation in fishing approach (bobber, plug, bottom), weather conditions, gear type, substrate type, etc., all of which effect the amount of line wear.

4. Several tests with each line could be done. For example: new mono vs new mono, new super vs new super, used mono vs used super.

5. Consistency regarding "knot" type should be used for each line type and test. For example, improved clinch for mono, palomar for super lines.

A qualified and accurate scale would be most helpful, perhaps someone has an idea for this. If not, perhaps several of us could test the popular brands using the pull test and provide them to the group in table form. Any ideas?

RM

#133454 - 01/04/02 10:37 PM Re: MEMBER'S LINE TESTS
fp Offline
Old Duffer

Loc: Hoquiam,WA.USA
RT & others, I have the Sport Fishing abrasion test results of most line manufactures on mono, leaders and some super-braids.

And the winner was:Sufix, Synergy(Tritanium)

I only use Maxima Ultra Green...........

It's fairly long and I'm to lazy to type it all here but if anyone would want a copy I could fax it to you. Maybe someone could scan and post. I have a scanner but don't know how to use it..

Quite interesting and 2 pages long. Worth the read. fp

[ 01-04-2002: Message edited by: fp ]

#133455 - 01/05/02 01:06 AM Re: MEMBER'S LINE TESTS
Anonymous
Unregistered

Good ideas RM. If some of us do some tests the best we can get to and post the results here, they will give credence or not to the published tests that fp has. Posting that would be great FP! Someone with a fax, scanner, and ability to convert it to a post in this BB, pleawse help. Thanks. Then the guys can have at it wink , with friendly debate about line preformance. ...

Member Coot is a very knowledgable guy; I think with engineering background. He e-mailed me some testing ideas to get more accurate definitive results. But it may be too complicated? Maybe Bud (Coot) will post those ideas here if anyone wants to pursue them. ... Any tests or river experiences you guys would post about here should help us all to better pick a line suitable to our fishing style and specific and rivers.

EDIT: In the other 'Superbraid lines ....' thread, John Hookem posted about an extensive line test to access (published in Sportfishing mag and their website:

John Lee Hookum posted 01-04-2002 07:10pm
There is good news. A scientic testing of 85 lines
rated "20 pounds" has been completed. Its is posted in the October issue of Sports Fishing
magazine.(www.sportsfishingmag.com) It compares
the 1.( Tensile & Abrasion) combined rating,2.
(Tensile-Strength) rating, and 3.(Abrasion-Strength rating. It also give the (Mean Wet Break
Strength. This is a very detailed a well presented
study. The article is by Doug Olander. I have the
9 page report if someone wants a copy. To get a
copy just E-maill me and I will get it to you for
cost of copying and postage." E-mail John for copies - or access the test online.
---------------

[ 01-04-2002: Message edited by: RT ]

#133456 - 01/05/02 01:20 AM Re: MEMBER'S LINE TESTS
John Lee Hookum Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Area 51
Be sure to check out Sport Fishing Magazine. The
october 2001 issue. It has all of the mono and
braided lines evaluated. This is done scientifically. I have a copy of the report. It is
9 pages long. It is presented with gragh to show
and compare over 85 lines for 1.(combined rating
Tensil & Abrasion)2. (Tensile-Strenth Rating) 3.
(Abrasion-Strength Rating)4.(Mean Wet Break Strength) If you would like a copy E-mail me. I can send for cost of copies and postage. wink

Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of
Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter
of the gods.

-- Albert Einstein

#133457 - 01/05/02 07:18 AM Re: MEMBER'S LINE TESTS
RiverMan Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: oregon
Hey it sounds like to me from the posts above that the test has already been done in a good way. I would love to have a complete copy of this, sure others would as well. I hope that the test didn't have private interest. Some I have read in the past had obvious bias for the line company sponsoring the test. Would it be possible to create a link for it here? Cold outside here guys, the rivers are steelie greeeeeen.

RM

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Jose, sky
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 199 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |