Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#133461 - 01/04/02 01:39 AM A little challenge
WildOutdoorsman Offline
Egg

Loc: Olympia
Hi all I am Don The Wild Outdoorsman and new to this bb some of you might have seen me on other bb's.
The one thing I have noticed on all the boards is the topic on fishing lines. It is my conclusion that it's not as mutch the line as it is the fisherman/woman.
I use on a norm 8 lb main and a six pound Extra limp leader.Obviously this would not work for pulling plugs for that I use 12 lb main line.With this combination. We have put over 100 Steelys to the boat.This year and what a year it has been.And I challenge one all to top that for the winter fish I am thinking of going to a 4lb extra tough leader anyboby care to join me? Talk about a fight!
May the flow be with you !!!!
Wild Outdoorsman

#133462 - 01/04/02 02:14 AM Re: A little challenge
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Loc: Vancouver, WA
How about doing it in late feb/March?? eek
Keith wink

#133464 - 01/04/02 06:48 PM Re: A little challenge
PhishPhreak Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: North Bend, WA
Most of us who have been discussing lines have not really been doing it to find ways to icrease our hookup/landing numbers. What we are looking for, for example, is a line that provides high visiblity when plugging or float fishing. Or a line that floats on the surface better than another for mending the line while float fishing. Or a line that won't bird-nest on you every cast, ect...

As far as using light line for steelhead/salmon - many of us do that and do it well. Just be sure you are not over-playing a fish that you plan to release...

As for trying to compare catch numbers - that's going to be tough. Usually you are comparing apples to oranges. For example, a guy on a OP zipperlip may be able to catch 10 fish a day out of his favorite hole in an hour. But that same guy might not be able to catch a cold trying to fish a more pressured river like the Sky. Trying to use numbers to compare fisherman only works in a situation like the 'Flotillas' (organized fishing parties) where everyone is basically on equal ground...

Anyway - welcome to the board and have fun!!

#133465 - 01/04/02 07:35 PM Re: A little challenge
4Salt Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Lynnwood, WA
I'm still trying to acertain what it is that you are challenging us to?

To use 4# leaders?

To catch over 100 steelhead?

I will say that it doesn't take 6# or 4# leaders to catch steelhead. Some excellent drift fishermen I know use up to 20#.

Are you going to keep over 100 steelhead? If so, please tell us where you can get a punchcard with that many slots?

If not, playing a fish out too long on light line is definitely not in the fish's best interest.

I'm sure that your post is meant to be friendly, and so I too welcome you to the board. wink

[ 01-04-2002: Message edited by: 4Salt ]

#133466 - 01/04/02 07:56 PM Re: A little challenge
EggsGuy Offline
Parr

4salt,,I think that the challenge is to use lighter line then normal. In WOD profile it says he is a guide so I really don't think that he has kept all those fish for him self...
I am up for the challenge..this 50lb that I am using is just to easy to get them in on,,,JK.

EGG'S

#133468 - 01/04/02 11:25 PM Re: A little challenge
Dave Jackson Offline
Spawner

Loc: Milwaukie, OR
How about I just go for my first...we'll get the other 99 in due time.

#133469 - 01/05/02 12:11 AM Re: A little challenge
Chromeo Offline
Spawner

Loc: Kenmore, WA
i'll take the challenge. i've been using 6lb leader(Damn gin colored water!) shouldnt be that big of a difference.
tyler

#133470 - 01/05/02 01:41 AM Re: A little challenge
bardo Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: union wa
thats nothing man. i have caught over 100 steelies in two days. could have done it in one, but i got tired.

#133471 - 01/05/02 08:11 AM Re: A little challenge
WildOutdoorsman Offline
Egg

Loc: Olympia
Ok guys/gals seing all the post . Im lining up with Berkley XL 6lb with a 4lb leader lets see if I can get my foot stuck in my mouth. see ya on the river
Good luck to all and May the flow be with you!!!!
Wild Outdoorsman

#133472 - 01/05/02 01:57 PM Re: A little challenge
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
bardo - fish caught on Cook Creek, the Salmon River or the Quinault don't count!

They don't fish down there - the CATCH down there! wink

I hear ya about getting tired on a 50 fish day! Don't think I would want to do that for a weekend! wink

#133473 - 01/05/02 02:15 PM Re: A little challenge
bardo Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: union wa
parker, while the quinalt rivers are good, most of the really good rivers are in british columbia and vancouver island. if you can find a way to get to the really good rivers, you can fish by yourself all day and not see another fisherman.these are all wild fish, so it is all catch and release.

#133474 - 01/05/02 03:49 PM Re: A little challenge
Wild Chrome Offline
Spawner

Loc: The Tailout
Personally, I think the challenge of landing a steelhead on 4 # test would have everything to do with the size, contour and available cover of a particular hole along with the softness of the rod, and less to do with the fisherman. It doesn't sound all that interesting to me, anyone can baby a steelhead. I hope people using 4 # leaders are targeting hatchery fish. Many of those great rivers' steelhead runs are mostly or entirely native and I think fishing 4# test would not be ethical there.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Swifty27
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (Carcassman), 1160 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13525
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645406 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |