Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#133743 - 01/06/02 01:16 AM Jack steelhead
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Loc: Vancouver, WA
On the last few trips I've made we've boated some nice hatchery jack winter runs (about 18"s or so). Has anyone else caught any? Might be a good sign for the upcoming years..
Keith laugh

#133744 - 01/06/02 10:09 AM Re: Jack steelhead
willierower Offline
Spawner

Loc: Albany OR
Ive caught a few steelhead jacks. They have mainly been late returnig wild fish. One thing about those guys is, They re scrappy little buggers!

#133745 - 01/06/02 01:35 PM Re: Jack steelhead
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Yeah, I usually see the wild jacks in feb and march but I'm talking about the hatchery fish. I don't ever recall catching many jack steelhead down here. We've boated 4 in 6 trips and seen a bankie catch another one.
Could this mean things are going to be on the brighter side for returns in the future?
Keith laugh

#133746 - 01/06/02 07:08 PM Re: Jack steelhead
FishCatcher Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Lacey, WA
Jack returns are used to help predict the following years returns for salmon. They probably help predict steelhead returns. Last year was the first time for me to catch jack steelhead. WDFW'S last creel report for southwest washington did show jack returns for a couple rivers. Check it out. http://www.wa.gov/wdfw/fish/regions/reg5/reg5-2.htm
Hopefully fishing continues to be as good as it has been.

#133747 - 01/06/02 09:01 PM Re: Jack steelhead
CRAVEN MOOREHEAD Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: TACOMA,WA
I have seen a few jacks caught down at Blue creek too. First time ever. I think there are alot of 2 salt fish this year, alot in the 5-7 pound range. Usually I see alot in the 9-10 lb range. I hope it is a good sign of the future.

#133748 - 01/07/02 05:42 AM Re: Jack steelhead
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've seen and heard about more steelhead jacks than normal too. Lots of silver jacks during that run too. During F3, Troy caught a scrappy pappy jack in our boat. Shane lost a fast head shaking steelie that could have been one too, but it bent the rod better. Was it a crackerjack or memorex? laugh (Excuse me buddy, I feel like using the word cracker in posts tonight - nothing personal, I just know you won't get mad at me smile ). And I've heard of some other jacks on the NF. More than other rivers seemingly. This should bode well for next year's run.

#133749 - 01/07/02 05:51 PM Re: Jack steelhead
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
I don't think any one truly knows that answer.

Here at the UW, we keep getting back huge numbers of jacks. No one knows why, and it doesn't have anything to do with the health of the run.

I've always heard it's a good indiction of the run health, but I guess I just don't know.

Good plan on targeting those babies Stlhdr1. Leave those bigger fish for us! wink

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Cam, FisherJoe, Gettin-It-Wet, Krijack, Steelheadstalker
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1391 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |