LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#133962 - 01/07/02 06:05 PM Barclay Sound B.C.
Denali1 Offline
Alevin

Loc: Spokane
Thinking about taking a trip up to Barclay Sound this summer probably August. I will be taking my own boat. Anything I should know, good/bad or otherwise. I've never been there so it would all be new to me. Thanks for any advice.

#133963 - 01/07/02 06:16 PM Re: Barclay Sound B.C.
kore Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Carson, WA
In the past few years, after the end of July, you weren't allowed to keep adult chinook in around the islands. You had to be at least a mile out on the banks. At least around Ucluelot. The fishing is good out on the banks, but seas can get bumpy(I don't know what size boat you have)

If you want to target chinook jigging around the islands(at times awesome), I would say July would be a better month. I would call the local resort, or get a copy of the regs, it might help make your decision.

[ 01-07-2002: Message edited by: KORE ]

#133964 - 01/07/02 08:38 PM Re: Barclay Sound B.C.
escapee Offline
Spawner

Loc: Marysville, Wa., USA
I have been there but I like Tofino better, it seems we were fishing closer to home and doing less running around. Also better places to hide from the wind. Fishing with a guide for the first morning will cut down on your learning curve greatly. I didn't do that but I should have. Those fish seem to like different things from one year to the next and you will learn from the guide in a couple hours what will otherwise take a couple days. I like to stay at Weigh West resort, they have everything you will need.

#133965 - 01/07/02 08:44 PM Re: Barclay Sound B.C.
Denali1 Offline
Alevin

Thanks for the feedback. I run a 21ft Pacific Silverwing w/ 200 Yam, vhf,gps etc. I don't think a couple miles are a problem if conditions permit. I will check out tofino as well. the first day guide suggestion is always a good tactic.

#133966 - 01/07/02 10:25 PM Re: Barclay Sound B.C.
Diana Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Port Angeles, WA
Every year we spend 2 weeks in Port Renfrew, BC. Look at your map....it's the next town east ( you'd think it should be south, but it isn't). We have definately realized that the earlier you can fish in August, the better. The fish aren't as plentiful later in the month.
Bring plenty of your own herring, as the herring they sell up there could be filleted and grilled for dinner.
We mooch for the kings, and everyone local uses down-riggers. We do very, very well mooching. enough that one guide who we have befriended, switched ( for awhile, anyway ).
We trailer our 22' Renken up on the ferry out of Port Angeles. We could make the run straight across out of Neah Bay, in about 25 to 30 minutes, but if you have a engine problem, you're up the creek since Renfrew is pretty remote with few facilities. Anyway, we ran out 22 miles last August just for the giggles of catching silvers as fast as you could reel 'em in. The water can get lumpy, but we've not seen a real dangerous sea in August up there. The big concern is freighters if you are in the fog.
From Port Renfrew, we head out of San Juan Harbor, 3 miles to the coast. Hook a right and start fishing. Some of the locals go as far west as Bamfield, but we've never needed to chase fish that far. Great place to go dangle a bait!
If you're interested in staying in Port Renfrew, let me know and I'll tell you about the cabin we rent. It's surrounded by water on three sides. They call it Alcatraz.
Good luck!
diana smile

#133967 - 01/08/02 08:11 AM Re: Barclay Sound B.C.
Bigdog2250 Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Stanwood,Wa
Tofino is a great area.Lots of islands to hide behind if the wind picks up.Better have good charts and use them.
Agree about Weigh West.We didn't stay there but will next time.We also took our boats up.You will probably moor there anyway and you get a bit of a break if you are staying there.Be sure to reserve a spot on the dock as soon as you decide.First class operation.If you are fast enough,you can follow their guides out but be careful.They don't like being followed and they don't draw as much as you do(hint.
If you decide to go to Tofino,send me an email.I have GPS on some killer spots both inside and out.Those will save you a couple of days of scouting.Further.... wink Bigdog

[ 01-08-2002: Message edited by: Bigdog2250 ]

#133968 - 01/08/02 08:15 AM Re: Barclay Sound B.C.
Bigdog2250 Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Stanwood,Wa
Tofino is a great area.Lots of islands to hide behind if the wind picks up.Better have good charts and use them.
Agree about Weigh West.We didn't stay there but will next time.We also took our boats up.You will probably moor there anyway and you get a bit of a break if you are staying there.First class operation.If you are fast enough,you can follow their guides out but be careful.They don't like being followed and they don't draw as much as you do(hint.
If you decide to go to Tofino,send me an email.I have GPS on some killer spots both inside and out.Those will save you a couple of days of scouting.Further.... wink Bigdog

#133969 - 01/08/02 09:42 AM Re: Barclay Sound B.C.
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have to agree with the Tofino picks. It's a great place to fish for Kings; and check out the 'hos for the halibut. Beautiful there among the Islands and back in the Bay at Weigh West. We fished with one of the best guides there last summer - Matt Somethingorother. Geez, help me Bruce, if ya see this (I went with P.P. member Bruce Gray, and Nick Amato). His last name starts with a 'G' I think. Matt G, he used to guide for WW. Has a Grady White 23'. >

Your boat should do just fine up there. If Matt is booked, follow him out there the first day or so. Tell him the sts crew told ya to dog him around out there. laugh He's a good guy.

RT

#133970 - 01/08/02 11:57 AM Re: Barclay Sound B.C.
Denali1 Offline
Alevin

Ok,

Sounds like I'll do Tofino if I can get reservations and dock space. Any suggestions on "when". July or August? I can make either happen, Kings or Silvers doesn't matter as long as I'm fishing. If conditions permit I would try for som flatties as well. Thanks for all the great advice, it is much appreciated.

#133971 - 01/08/02 12:40 PM Re: Barclay Sound B.C.
Gooey Bob Offline
Egg

Loc: victoria b.c.
Denali 1,this year in barkley sound it will be awesome fishing for chinook and coho.Chinook retention is going to be allowed it sounds like as well as coho.RT,the name of your guide in tofino was probably Matt Guiget and he can be contacted through Murphys sportfishing in Port Alberni B.C. at 250-723-8022.He is a great guide in the river and the chuck.

#133972 - 01/08/02 01:04 PM Re: Barclay Sound B.C.
Predator Dawg Offline
Spawner

Loc: land of sun
Not to cheese off of Denali1's post, but I have a buddy who lives in Port Albernie. Curious if there is much fishing to be done in the area out of a 20' Willie Predator jet since I could stay with him while up there. I know the Stamp is nearby as well as salt water, just haven't been to the area before to know if this setup is doable.

TIA -

Steve

#133973 - 01/08/02 01:36 PM Re: Barclay Sound B.C.
Gooey Bob Offline
Egg

Loc: victoria b.c.
Saltine,the stamp is fishable in a sled but supposebly there is a guides only restriction on sleds.9.9 horsepower for everyone else.You could fish the alberni inlet out of your sled no problem great in august or bring a drift boat and do the stamp any time.

#133974 - 01/08/02 03:03 PM Re: Barclay Sound B.C.
B. Gray Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle, WA USA
Goey Bob is right about the guide we fished with out of Tofino - Matt Giguet (pronounced GEE-gay). He's been guiding up on the island and the coast up there his whole life and he knows his schnizit and will work his arse off for you guys if you can land a day with him. But if you're going up in August I think he'll already be out at Uuculet (sp?) running trips off the Murphy Sportfishing barge. It'll be worth a call to him for a recommendation though. He'll probably tell you to go with one of the Weigh West guides. He used to be the fishmaster there.

Anyway, you can't go wrong with Tofino and Weigh West. We were up there last May for some early King and Halibut action and had a great time on and off the water. If I ever get my act together you can read about it in an upcoming STS piece. It might even have a pic of RT's plumber's butt while he tries not to fall over the side while trying to figure out a single-action reel works. eek

Bruce

#133975 - 01/08/02 05:48 PM Re: Barclay Sound B.C.
ROCKFISH Offline
Spawner

Loc: manchester,Wa
went to nooka sound for 2 weeks in 97, stayed at chinooka lodge with a guide named ralf who owns the lodge and stayed at critter cove. all floating lodges, critter is is alot cheaper, but the fishing was excellent, 40lb king. light tackle bottomfish. worth the trip. Ben

#133976 - 01/09/02 09:21 AM Re: Barclay Sound B.C.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey Bruce,

You still have about a week to get your article in by the April/May issue deadline. Geez, if you're that stickin busy, I'll ghostwrite the thing for ya under your byline, eh? Man that would be fun - I would take one hell of a chunk of literary license with your name being on it. Yeehaaw. laugh But the only pic in it of 'butt' would be the big halibut(t) we got. wink ...

BTW, Matt lives in a big fishing lodge with his wife on the Stamp River. Nick and I stayed over night there on the way back and it's an awesome place! Giant log framing and siding - a modern version of the old rustic river lodges. A short hike out back right down to the famous Stamp River. When the fall salmon runs are in, or better yet the excellant runs of winter and summer steelhead, would be a great time to book a room or a few rooms and set up guided river trips with Matt and crew.

RT

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
CHUBS
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (Carcassman), 1080 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645302 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |