THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#134524 - 01/11/02 01:43 PM Re: Your biggest fish let go?
4Salt Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Lynnwood, WA
Tyler,

We were fishing the kelp rafts in open water for yellowtail using live sardines with no weight. I spooled out a lot of line and it tightened up hard. I set the hook thinking it was a yellowtail, but it was just dead weight. Turns out the sardine must have swam right next to the thing and got loose, and I ended up hooking the sunfish right below the jaw. It fought like a bag of cement, and we motored right up to it on the surface and cut the leader.

#134525 - 01/11/02 03:58 PM Re: Your biggest fish let go?
finclipped Offline
Fry

Loc: Vancouver
I released 3 tule's in the 30-35 pound range this year at B10. Tules aren't worth eating.

After they closed the chinook season, we were releasing 2-4 nice URB's a day, despite the fact we weren't targeting them. Its okay though because they could swim upstream into commercial and tribal nets. That was fun(not). My largest URB was about 25#'s.

#134526 - 01/11/02 05:02 PM Re: Your biggest fish let go?
Maguana Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Hoquiam/Newton
In August I caught a 19lb. buck silver 10 miles off Westport. Had to release it because it was a nat. I didn't mind to much cause it was an ugly hook nose w/ lots of color. Didn't know salmon could change before entering the river.

The one that hurt hit me last week. In November I caught a chrome bright hen King on the Hump where you can't retain Kings. She didn't have a hooked nose at all, a perfect beak. The guy fishing next to me said it weighed 40+ lbs. I think it was at least 35lbs. This guy hadn't taken home a fish yet and I could see the tears welling up in his eyes when he slipped it back in the river for me. What makes it hurt is last week I was talking to a friend who belongs to a local fishing club told me that a kid that I know, but wouldn't disclose his name, was hired by the hatchery to club all the Kings in Stevens Creek because there was to many. The only thing that eases the pain of that info is hopefully it went past Stevens Creek and on up the river.

#134527 - 01/11/02 05:50 PM Re: Your biggest fish let go?
beek Offline
Parr

Loc: Langley
I let a 45# Springer go this year (White Spring)...the guys beside me were in shock. I still have no idea what I would have done with 45#'s a white Spring meat.

4Salt,

If your heading up this way this year to fish Winters Steelies rip me an email.

#134528 - 01/11/02 06:20 PM Re: Your biggest fish let go?
4Salt Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Lynnwood, WA
Will do Matt. smile

Yeah, I got that same look too a couple of times. laugh laugh

#134529 - 01/11/02 06:30 PM Re: Your biggest fish let go?
GutZ Offline
The Original Boat Ho

Loc: Bellevue
BH (before Herschel) we fished the Sammamish alot. We had gotten blown off the Sky and stopped in at 80 acres. My fishing buddy sneeks up and looks and sees one surface right in front of us. I had a brand new Leo's jig and chuck it in the slough and said "where wuzzee?" "right SLAM there". There is a bike/jogging path and the bridge right where we were. By the time we got the fish to the bank both sides of the river and the bridge were full of gawkers. As it was closed for native fish we unhooked him, kissed him on the head and let him go. I wish I had at least known to measure the fish and no camera either.

#134530 - 01/11/02 08:56 PM Re: Your biggest fish let go?
chrome/22 Offline
Captain C/22 - Team Stay Up Right!

Loc: Hurricane Ridge , Wa.
750 lb. (est.) Manta-Ray, hooked or foul hooked him in the mouth while pitching live bait to a couple of striped marlin out of cobo in Dec. If you think halibut can pull hard, think again!! eek eek

[ 01-11-2002: Message edited by: chrome/22 ]

#134531 - 01/11/02 10:26 PM Re: Your biggest fish let go?
HBP Offline
Spawner

Loc: Everett,Wa
Do unintentional releases count?

we were trolling for silvers in seiku in the early 90's when kings were keepers, I hooked a king first thing in the a.m. fought it for 25 minutes, as we went to net it right at the boat the hooks popped out, it was 40lbs plus, the worst part about it was my friend stood and watched as it lay on the surface for 4-5 seconds not knowing it was free, the net was still in his hands!

- no boss, no clock, no stress, no dress code...no shoes,no shirts, no problems. - Kenny Chesney -

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Born2Boat, Dirk Mc Girk, Frankster, Oz-fish, starfisher
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 310 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645367 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |