THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#135458 - 01/16/02 02:47 AM Anyone Interested in MONTANA Fishing?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi.

My name is Steve and I'm a fishaholic.

{HI STEVE ... but we should inform y....}

I can't stop thinking about fish, even when I am eating a hamburger.

{Yup. We know brother. But we...}

It started in Montana. I caught my first little fishy in Flathead Lake on a relative's boat dock when I was only a toddler. I'll never forget it! But I have not been able to quit since that foreboding day. frown

{mmm}

But when I got married I really got the bug to fish. Every day. Because of NW steelhead! I had caught my first one earlier in my teens, using a spinning reel upside down. shocked It was with a flame thrower .... awwh, I mean a flame oakie and white yarn in Oregon's Necanicum River. I will never forget that either. And I can't even remember breaking my real virginity. SO, what does that tell ya fellas?

{hmmm ... oh oh rolleyes ... AH, you like fishing better than sex?}

Well, it depends on the fish and on the woman.

{shhh .. oh man this guy has it bad}

WHAT? I heard that! I thought you guys had the same fishing addiction as I do, and could help me ween off of it. confused

{Well , we tried to tell ya. We aren't Fishaholics Anonymous. We are Dissaholics Anonymous. And you are a cracker jack, with a turtle neck! Muh ha ha ha ha}

Ah, I don't think so man. mad You doughballs are dissers. You're a bunch of public master baiting, dog pile sniffin, rats a$$e$! You should stick your... aaah, forget it. rolleyes

smile
----------
So, is there anyone interested in Montana fishing subjects? Or not? We had a short MT thread a few weeks ago. But the place is flat out awesome with lots of trout bigger than most steelhead. 'Bows, browns, cutts, macs, and dollies! Big! Will sometimes take steelhead gear during winter in larger non frozen rivers.

Mt. Mike and Steelheadman, we haven't heard how you guys are getting along in the freezer over there. Catchin any feeesh?

#135459 - 01/16/02 04:24 AM Re: Anyone Interested in MONTANA Fishing?
B-RUN STEELY Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: IDAHO
They catch steelhead Idaho.... we catch trout in Wade lake... And its a beautyfull thing

#135460 - 01/16/02 08:17 AM Re: Anyone Interested in MONTANA Fishing?
mt. mike Offline
Parr

Loc: florence mt
Umm, welll ya see RT, I got a problem of my own. Since I caught my 4th (that was the one that hooked me for sure) steelhead I also have an addiction. I've been fighting it for 16 years now, but to no avail. must catch steelhead....must catch steelhead...mus
I have 2 boys that particapate in every sport in the world wich cuts into alot of fishing time. I do like to row my boat and let other people fish tho. Last hear I spent more time with a rod in my hand in washington than mt. Yes there are a couple of weeks in the spring that certain waters here in Mt need my presents by for the most part I'm a I daho Steelhead Fisherman. Now stop exagerating about this Montana fishery for crying out loud. wink

#135461 - 01/16/02 10:44 AM Re: Anyone Interested in MONTANA Fishing?
Dave Jackson Offline
Spawner

Loc: Milwaukie, OR
Might I interject that just because you have now admitted that this is a problem in no way means that it is a problem you want to fix, nor does it get you any closer to "recovery".

That's a 12-step program that crashes before it ever takes off.

#135462 - 01/16/02 12:51 PM Re: Anyone Interested in MONTANA Fishing?
FISHNBRAD Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Renton,WA
I'm planning a trip there this summer for the first time and could use all the info I can get. I'll start asking for help here shortly.

#135463 - 01/16/02 01:09 PM Re: Anyone Interested in MONTANA Fishing?
Robert Allen3 Offline
Spawner

Loc: vancouver WA USA
I spent the last 3 summers in Montana working in a fly shop and fishing. Frankly I ahve caught enough trout in the 16-24 inch range recently to last me a decade or so. There is no force on Earth that would convinse me to take a trout trip to Montana During a perios of good Northwest Steelheading.
In my opinion there is no comparison between a big trout and a small steelhead.

#135464 - 01/16/02 04:23 PM Re: Anyone Interested in MONTANA Fishing?
bentpole Offline
Juvenille at Sea

man you bring out the past!
when I was a little fry i use to spend my summers in the big sky country mostly on flathead ( my gramps had a house there in woods bay right next door to the ole' yellow store on the south side you no the one)we would catch (me and my bro.)so many perch off his dock but the real treat was going out on his 21 ft. and throw out some flatfish with a dwnrgr in hopes for the big mack.
You remember the story about the flathead monster if you do i'll tell you what i saw.
Caught my first ever whitefish up on the westfork of the flatrvr pretty nice one too if I remember right I think it was about 4lbs or so and when your 9 thats a pretty good treat.
Dude your gonna have to give me more story's if you do i' tell ya bout whitefish lake as a teenager man what a another blast rolleyes

#135465 - 01/16/02 05:51 PM Re: Anyone Interested in MONTANA Fishing?
Grass Hopper Offline
Smolt

Loc: Woodinville,Wa
Shhhhhhh!!!!! No Fish In Montana! No need to vacation there! Just rocks and bushes thats all. You don't have to let these big city boys in on all the good secrets do you? A day in Montana is a day in heaven.

#135466 - 01/16/02 05:52 PM Re: Anyone Interested in MONTANA Fishing?
rainycity Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Seattle
Bentpole,
Did you ever fish lake Mary Ronan when you were growing up there in the big sky country?
There`s a Christian camp there that Pinehaven I think it was either built or bought,

#135467 - 01/16/02 06:28 PM Re: Anyone Interested in MONTANA Fishing?
fish4steel Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: yelm, wa
I think that RT has ENTIRELY too much free time on his hands! Whaddya gonna come up with next? Stories about Gooose and kneepads? Emu tipping? laugh

#135468 - 01/16/02 07:38 PM Re: Anyone Interested in MONTANA Fishing?
T Dodge Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Tacoma
Every August or September for about the last 6 years, I and three other friends have gone to Sheridan, Mt. for a week of flyfishing. That trip, for me, is like Christmas when I was a kid. It comes so slowly and it passes so quickly.

We were extremely lucky in coordinating our stay with an outfit that had an unbelievable cross-use agreement with many of the large ranches in the surrounding area on the Ruby and the Big Hole. I have never seen the like for brown and rainbow fishing. I think if I could have bottled up those experiences and stashed up a case or two I could take a sip every now and then and stay young forever.

God made grasshoppers so people like me don't have to be skilled flyfishers. He made the parachute adams so people like me can pretend we really are flyfishers.

Unfortunately, the times being what they are, many of the ranchers, when the time comes to sell their ranches, are getting unbelieveable offers from millionares who just want a big, private, Montana playground. They don't want to work a ranch and they have been offering more money than anyone would offer for a working ranch, but they won't pay so long as the cross-use covenant encumbers the land. So, the ranchers have pulled out, one by one, as the offers to purchase for the big bucks come their way. These purchasers are all, so far as these properties are concerned, the Ted Turner types. They have so far denied all access to these properties. This last summer, there were only two or three ranches on the Ruby still in the cross-use and only one or two on the Big Hole.

Before this year, we could fish different beats every day for a week and not have to go over the same water twice. No more. Oh well, we always thought this was too good a deal to be true and now it isn't . I feel like an old fart talking about how good the fishing used to be.

#135469 - 01/16/02 09:12 PM Re: Anyone Interested in MONTANA Fishing?
Chromeo Offline
Spawner

Loc: Kenmore, WA
i know how the addicted feeling is. frown its pretty rough. if i cant get out at least twice in 7 days i really get this twitch. i just became addicted this year 2/7 so far.
tyler laugh

#135470 - 01/16/02 10:34 PM Re: Anyone Interested in MONTANA Fishing?
silver hilton Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Out there, somewhere
Rob,

I feel the indescribable need to beg to differ. While the Montana rainbows may be lacking something (I haven't caught enough to determine, research to follow) I would rather catch Alaska rainbows than steelhead of the same size, any day. Now, that may be because I've been catching malformed, weakwilled hatchery brats. But every rambo I caught this summer in Alaska outfought every steelhead I've caught to date, except one. And that one is what keeps me coming back.

I envy you living down in Vancouver. I used to love that little river that you fish, as well as fishing the summer runs in the columbia. I'm an old Camas boy...

#135471 - 01/17/02 08:50 AM Re: Anyone Interested in MONTANA Fishing?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Bentpole, that makes me feel connected to you by Montana experience. Cool. The last time I took my family up to the lake in the mid to late 90's (can't remember which summer - but we're over due to go again!) we went into that store at Woods Bay. You are rught about so many millionaires and celebratites buying up Montana - very unfortunate! Anyway, while in the store my daughter asked if they see any of the celebs we'd heard moved there in recent years. The cashier said that actor Martin Sheen was in there an hour or so before we were - and didn't seemed very happy about it (skying property costs to blame for that local 'tude in places). Anyway, my daughter would have been excited with a younger rock star I'm sure, but not about Charlie's dad. My young son at the time asked, who's that? smile ...

Just up the road is the town of Bigfork. We used to fish the main lake right near the road between those 2 little villages. But Bigfork has gone from the quaint little town on Bigfork Bay, inlet of Flat Head Lake, that we enjoyed as kids to an overcrowded tourist trap - with shops similar to Cannon Beach OR or Carmel CA; with a top notch theater group. I still have to go in there to stock up on Eva Gate's awesome Huckleberry products! Oh man! I bet you have fished on up the Swan Valley west of the Bob Marshall Wilderness from there? ... Don't get me started ... too late. wink

As for that famous monster in Flathead Lake back when I was young, some guys supposedly caught it, and put it on display in Poulsen (south end). We paid to see it. It was a huge sturgeon. I've since then wondered if it was caught out of the lake, or some unscroupulous guys trucked over an over-size sturgeon from the Columbia to charge locals and tourists to see the famous lake monster they had caught.

You probably know of Wild Horse Island out in the SW corner of the lake? It was on the forested SW shoreline across from it that I caught my first fish. At one time there was a sustaining band of wild horses on it - it's a good sized isle. I don't know if they swam over there the previous century or were planted by barge and multiplied from there. My parents friends still live out on Finley Point waterfront on the east side of the lake, near the cherry orchards. God I love that whole NW MT region. My wife has agreed that in about 15 to 20 years or so, after retirement, we get to go live there for awhile; to get her used to the cold, and then move back to live it up and out around Sisters or Manzanita in Oregon. ...

TD, I have only done a small amount of fising in the SW area of MT. Very nice. But not right near Sheridan. But I've sure heard about it and seen the pictures. Are 'Winston Flyrods' still headquartered near Sheridan in Twin Bridges? How would it be to get the flyrod tester job for them on the near by Ruby, Beaverhead, and Big Hole rivers?! Whoever that is has a dream job, a little like Buzz Ramsey does for Luhr Jensen out of Hood River OR. ...

BTW, don't worry about MT promo here. There are plenty of the famous rivers over there to absorb out of state fishers on nice fish. I won't mention any of the good zippers - especially over in NW near the Cabinet Mts. Oooweee. It'll take too long to find them. In fact, like B.C., you could fish a lifetime and never learn all the river and lake spots in those 2 places.

#135472 - 01/17/02 09:08 AM Re: Anyone Interested in MONTANA Fishing?
mt. mike Offline
Parr

Loc: florence mt
RT RT RT get ahold of yourself man!! :p You sound very very homesick. Get out your calendar and plan that summer vacation now. It will give you a great sence of peace knowing that there you definalty are going and a time table to the whole thing. If'n ya need a little float while you are here, with a little notice and some luck,(I'm coaching baseball) I might be able to accomidate you. I've been working on perfecting my line thru the Alberton Gorge......
and yes they still make those Winston Rods over there.

#135473 - 01/17/02 04:51 PM Re: Anyone Interested in MONTANA Fishing?
T Dodge Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Tacoma
RT, yes the Winston headquarters is still located just south of the town of Twin Bridges. We pass the shrine often. After being tempted so often, I finally had to shell out. One of the best decisions I've ever made. I bought a 2 piece, 9 foot, 4 weight and have enjoyed fishing those great waters with a home-grown rod. Beautifully built, with lots of power and punch for such a light rod. Only thing I'd change would be to get the same rod in a 3 piece, just for the travel convenience. Yes, what a job it would be to be a Winston field tester in SW Montana. Imagine the overtime hours you might log!

[ 01-17-2002: Message edited by: T Dodge ]

#135474 - 01/17/02 10:58 PM Re: Anyone Interested in MONTANA Fishing?
steelheadaddict01 Offline
Smolt

Loc: Kaizer OR, formerly MT and WA
Ha Ha, I have been sitting at my computer in Montana dreaming of steelhead, and waiting for a trip back.I traveled back to WA last week for work and have hit the water only a couple of times. I enjoy fishing for trout, but steelhead, roe, corkies and 1/0 hooks are my drug of choice. So far I havnt done so well in the weeks i have been here, but I have some free time this week. Maybe I will be taking some fresh steelhead back with me.
Per RT's suggestions I plan to hit the Koot in Libby when I get back. Maybe I will land a big rainbow before I leave.

#135475 - 01/17/02 11:23 PM Re: Anyone Interested in MONTANA Fishing?
dcrzfitter Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tenino, wa U.S.A.
FIshed the mighty MO last summer. what a BLAST!!! my first time doing the bug chuck. Dad and I are going back thissummer for another week. we are going to leave the July 5th and enjoy another week of bug tossing. we took my drift boat last year. this year we are hoping to take my new 16' cat. My Willie was really out of place in Montanna. every one has a fiberblass boat and the sides are really low to the water. a totally different style of drift boat in those parts.

Them big Browns and Bows can sure drive a person crazy when you can see them and they won't take yer fly. then right when you don't expect it they grab it and the fight is on.

dc laugh

#135476 - 01/18/02 06:15 AM Re: Anyone Interested in MONTANA Fishing?
bentpole Offline
Juvenille at Sea

hey rt what year they claim they got the monster?
and if all rumpors r true then yes that sturgeon (which I heard was a plant from the col.)is the flthd mons. my bro and I claim we saw when we were fishin 1 day off the dock but you know how kids can see anything as long as they put there minds to it smile
I took my wife there for the first time last year and now she wants to move there laugh
By the way sthdadd. you know it's funny that you r yearning for a sthd and I would give it up for the solitude of fishin up in the missions mts anyday my gramps and I had to of hit at least 25% of the lakes just east of flthd through out my childhood and as any mt boy can tell you thats a lot of lakes smile
As far as them horses r concerned I heard 2 rumors 1 was they swam and the other is they was boated years and years ago as broken then bread into wild stock.
Oh and 1 last thing as far as them celebs meet quite a few when I was a late teen and worked for 1 rebuilding his roof they r very simple for the most part but some r snobs wella ny what a trip down memmory lane feel free to get me started on some more laugh

#135477 - 01/18/02 06:36 PM Re: Anyone Interested in MONTANA Fishing?
Anonymous
Unregistered

BP, I can't remember the year they put the huge sturgeon on paid display in Poulsen as the lake monster, but it was long ago when I was a kid. That could have been the same one you remember, or there could have been other 'monsters'. wink

After reading your post, I figure you also experienced the nice Sealy Lake? I haven't since I was a kid living in Missoula, but I can still recall getting shoved off a dock there by my laughing older bother. Ha ha, I got him back. smile That Swan Valley between the Missions and the west 'Bob' has some nice pullout areas to scope for Griz eating huckleberrys up on the slopes. I think I gotta head out with my son for some camping and trophy trout fishin there this coming summer. I need to get away to paradise. And away from some crap going on around these parts. wink

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (steely slammer), 1085 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645291 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |