THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#135608 - 01/17/02 06:26 AM KILL THE NETTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
WINGWANG Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: kent
Hello fellow rod'nreelers,
I got a novel idea about how we can ban together and take some nets out of the water and it goes like this................
(1) Buy a truck load of hay
(2) Find a bridge local to the nets
(3) Park in the middle of the bridge
(4) Fall out and throw all bails over the bridge

Make sure to do this in the middle of the night.

The reasons for this post:
I work nights and that means I start work in the afternoon and one day this week I decided to have a bite at a local park and walk the river (the Green). with eyes glued to the water I started seeing nets zig-zagging tthrough about a quarter mile stretch of the river. It blew my mind!!!! This is why I haven't seen but two fish caught out of Palmer-Kanaskat all Winter. We are seriously being screwed out of OUR->(Indians and non-Indians) rights and priveleges. When will the Indians be as equal as you and I in the OUR->(Indians and non-Indians) laws.
I have a friend that is Native American and I used to banter to him how unfair it was that he didn't have to use a rod and reel and that we were not as equals in the Federal laws as the (Bless that piece of paper) Constitution commands it to be. You know what he would say to be a dictionary in the rear pocket type person " Wow it sucks to be you, I am gonna check my nets". Any how follow the afore mentioned steps and of yeah talk to a Senator or Legislative type person and they can fix this for us (yeah right).
Until then think happy thoughts as you see bails of timmothy floating down your favorite river and wish that bound together grass luck in smashing through as many nets as possible before getting beached.

[ 01-17-2002: Message edited by: PAUL FEHR ] rolleyes

[ 01-17-2002: Message edited by: PAUL FEHR ]

#135609 - 01/17/02 08:31 AM Re: KILL THE NETTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Metalhead Mojo Offline
Spawner

Loc: Browns Point
thats a kick ass idea...we need to hook up and look into this, i live near the green too...i was sick this fall when i saw the f$#@%n injuns waste a load of coho this fall. they were selling whole coho (hatchery and wild, i saw both) on the side of the road in tukwila for $2.00 each...on my way back to my truck from fishing later that afternoon i saw they had left and dumped their fish on the side of the road and went home. there were easily 60 - 80 fish left to rot in the dirt...i talked with an old timer a few days later and he told me that they dont want to pay to dump them so they leave them for the city to clean up...he also said he has seen this happen for many years

#135610 - 01/17/02 08:39 AM Re: KILL THE NETTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
bardo Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: union wa
you are missing the point. it is illeagle to do that. what would you say about some indian burning your house because he doesn't like something you do. if you dont like netting, why dont you do something about changing the rules.you are an uninformed pussy.

[ 01-17-2002: Message edited by: bardo ]

#135611 - 01/17/02 08:52 AM Re: KILL THE NETTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Great Idea. Where is a cheap place to pick up a bail of hay or two or dozen. Also, what are some good bridges throw from. One more thing, Bardo, what are you talking about?

#135612 - 01/17/02 08:55 AM Re: KILL THE NETTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Metalhead Mojo Offline
Spawner

Quote:
Originally posted by bardo:
if you dont like fishing, why dont you do something about changing the rules.

its not about not liking fishing, actually the opposite...

as far as changing the rules, isnt that a dead issue? im sure im not the only one

#135613 - 01/17/02 08:55 AM Re: KILL THE NETTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
bardo Offline
Returning Adult

i gues i am talking about you too. whats your address? i'll come visit you. ( i guess i must have some indian blood in me )

#135614 - 01/17/02 09:00 AM Re: KILL THE NETTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Metalhead Mojo Offline
Spawner

whats your tribal affiliation Bardo??

#135615 - 01/17/02 09:10 AM Re: KILL THE NETTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
bardo Offline
Returning Adult

i am a non denominational tribal fisher. i do not condone the use of nets and or special seasons for indians. but seeing as how the white man stole the land and game from the indians originally , i think they do have their legal right to the fishery. its a complex issue and i dont think hay bales are the answer. i think the answer is to eventually make everyone equal. i think the indians would have to be paid money or land to take away their fishing rights.

#135616 - 01/17/02 09:30 AM Re: KILL THE NETTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bob D Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Port Orchard Wa Kitsap
At the rate the indians are going you wont have fish to barter with soon! No fish, no land and no money. Hmmm, guess it will be time to get back to the "real" cerimonial ways.

Bob D

#135617 - 01/17/02 09:36 AM Re: KILL THE NETTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
bardo Offline
Returning Adult

maybe we should move to the kamchatka peninsula. the only thing we would have to worry about there is the grizzlies.

#135618 - 01/17/02 09:51 AM Re: KILL THE NETTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Nisqually
Paul, congratulations, you have seen the light.

You have witnessed the reason why we pay higher property taxes and have endangered fish runs.

The fish runs are not depleted because of el nino, his sister, pollution, "poor ocean conditions", or all of the other B.S. we are led to believe. The fish runs are depleted because of one thing, NETS.

I fish the Green regular basis, a lot of the time by boat, and I know what you are talking about.

The hay bale is a good but old idea and I have even seen a few bobbing up and down on the Green like beacons in the night.

If you want to draw attention to the netting you can start by showing every person (property owner) that you know what is going on. Every person that I have shown became outraged by what they saw.

Don't expect any help from the media or the government they are all part of the tangled web! You can witness this just by stopping by the Muckleshoot launch (4th Ave and E Marginal) and see the WDFW boat and truck parked in the Mucklshoot holding pen. They are in bed together.

Another good place to witness Indian affairs is on Hood Canal. It is even worse over there. mad

#135619 - 01/17/02 10:43 AM Re: KILL THE NETTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
fishhead5 Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Shelton
Quote:
you are an uninformed pussy.

laugh laugh

Fishhead5

It is not illegal to deplete a fishery by management.

They need to limit Democrats to two terms, one in office, and one in prison.

#135620 - 01/17/02 11:18 AM Re: KILL THE NETTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hohwaiian Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Seattle, Washington, US
Bardo I'm with you. All this anti-Indian venting aint gonna do squat. I thought when I saw "kill the netts" it would be a productive discussion on how sporties can band together and get non-tribal commercial nets out of WA waters. At the very least the tribes help produce salmon and steelies that we catch and release/eat. I'm sorry I even opened the thread.

P.S. Let the flaming begin...

#135621 - 01/17/02 11:42 AM Re: KILL THE NETTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dave Jackson Offline
Spawner

Loc: Milwaukie, OR
Let's ban them all then. Commercial, tribal, all of them. Buh-bye.

#135622 - 01/17/02 11:50 AM Re: KILL THE NETTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Duck In The Fog Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Yakima Wa. U.S.A.
How are we going to do this hay thing to the white commercial nets in the big lake? Duck

#135623 - 01/17/02 01:50 PM Re: KILL THE NETTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dave Jackson Offline
Spawner

Loc: Milwaukie, OR
Can't get them with the hay out there. That's why we're shipping in manatees and dolphins.

#135624 - 01/17/02 02:04 PM Re: KILL THE NETTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ripalip Offline
Fry

Loc: Centralia WA
Throwing the hay bales isn't going to solve the problem but it should piss a few of them off and if we can't kill em we can at least piss em off. Great idea

#135625 - 01/17/02 02:33 PM Re: KILL THE NETTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Finspot Offline
Egg

Loc: Seattle
Wow, what can I say, I'm simply blown away by this "discussion." A poster who goes by the handle "ExtermiNATIVE"??? And I suppose you think Hitler had a few good ideas. Please people, get a grip. Think about *responsible* things you can do to improve your fisheries and stop trying to lay blame on a single easy target. The decline of fish runs is a multifaceted problem: habitat loss from development, bad logging practices, pollution, overharvest, the list goes on. You all know this, but clearly frustration is clouding judgment. Rather than ***** about it, go out and do something legal and beneficial. My own response has been to get active with a few conservation orgs that I believe in.

#135626 - 01/17/02 02:35 PM Re: KILL THE NETTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Skywalker Offline
Spawner

Loc: Snohomish, WA, USA
#1 - I'll bet that all things considered, this site would be better off if we didn't use it as a soapbox to propose illegal actions in the name of recreational activity. As much as we cherish the right to fish, I think we diminish any public support we might have if we go off like a bunch of irresponsible teenagers and destroy someone else's property.

Just because we don't like that fact that they have a legal right to do something we can't, and it cuts into our sport, doesn't justify your proposed actions, especially in the eyes of people (the majority) that don't sport fish and in most cases don't give a rip about the resource.

#2) I wonder where the money comes from to pay for those nets destroyed by malicious acts? Could it be federally insured? I don't know, but the potential irony there would be pretty harsh.

#135627 - 01/17/02 02:45 PM Re: KILL THE NETTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Curt Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Auburn,Wa
hey guys the only problem with the hay bale idea is that after it takes out a couple of nets and then gets water logged and sinks it'll get stuck on the bottom of the river,and it doesn't stop killing the fish mad mad mad

FISH ON!!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
landcruiserwilly, Tom Trune
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (wolverine), 433 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645372 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |