LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#135667 - 01/17/02 09:00 AM Is there a lull in the steelhead season?
Anonymous
Unregistered

After such a great start to the early brat season and a lot of early nates so far, a lot of my friends indicate the amount of fish being caught isn't what it should be for the second push of brats. This includes rivers from WA and OR. I Haven't been able to get out as much as I'd like to, but the times I have lately we've had decent success but not hot like it was.

What is the general situation from all around? Thanks

RT

#135668 - 01/17/02 09:08 AM Re: Is there a lull in the steelhead season?
Bob D Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Port Orchard Wa Kitsap
There seems to always be a between time on the west end. We get excited and jump to the conclusion that there should be more fish here but not till the end of the month does it really seem to pick up. Happens every year though. This is the time to fish a little and thread MASSIVE pink worms!

Bob D

#135669 - 01/17/02 10:20 AM Re: Is there a lull in the steelhead season?
willierower Offline
Spawner

Loc: Albany OR
Steve,
It all deends on who you talk to........ Lets see, Between my dad and I and about 5 of my close fishing friends, there were about 50 fish hooked in 3 days. The fishing seems to be pretty good to me. All those fish came from 6 different rivers up and down the Oregon coast.

#135670 - 01/17/02 10:33 AM Re: Is there a lull in the steelhead season?
dawhunt Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Washougal
The fishing sure seems to have slowed down on the two rivers,I fish.The Washougal & Kalama.There must have been a ton of fish earlier tho because they've recycled on the Kalama a couple times now and they recycled over 400 fish on the washougal yesterday afternoon at Hathaway park.I think maybe they've raised a bunch of non-biters.I've been on the Washougal a lot since Nov.and know alot of others that have too and the fishing has been pretty slow for us.There have been people that have caught there fair share tho.I'm not complaining I've caught three for the freezer and two nates and three old summer fish so I've had a O.K. season I guess for the amount of time I've put in.A lot of those fish might have gotten by in all that high water we had too.But things have def. slowed down now.In case your thinking about comeing to the Washougal for those fish they recycled yesterday Don't they were UGLY !!!.I watched them put them in and they are BLACK !!.
HONEST !!
Bob

[ 01-17-2002: Message edited by: dawhunt ]

#135671 - 01/17/02 12:24 PM Re: Is there a lull in the steelhead season?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Bob, that's interesting about the Washougal re-cycled fish that were darkish. The recycled ones on other rivers such as the Three Rivers/Nestucca system and NF Nehalem are usually fairly bright fish. Maybe after the 'Shou egg take only dark ones were left for recycle? ... BTW, when they come and dumped the fish where you were fishing, did they start biting or were they a little tramatized after their ride? The only time I ever fished after a fish planting was long ago on the Metolius River and the ride didn't bother those trout - they were biting like crazy! ... also, I hadn't seen the Hathaway Park hole for a long time until we fished there last fall one day. It seems to be shallower and snagier. Must have been the early '96 floods?

Hey WillieRower, I just got off the phone with Gary T and we might do the 6th bridge down tomorrow. If the other seat isn't taken I'll call ya to see if you can meet to go with us. Otherwise, same plan for next week.

Steve

[ 01-17-2002: Message edited by: RT ]

#135672 - 01/17/02 01:03 PM Re: Is there a lull in the steelhead season?
KurtF Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Olympia, WA
Hey Bob D -

Where do you get the massive pink worms? I haven't been able to find them anywhere!! laugh

[ 01-17-2002: Message edited by: KurtF ]

#135673 - 01/17/02 07:31 PM Re: Is there a lull in the steelhead season?
dawhunt Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Washougal
RT,they wern't darkish they was BLACK,I watched some guys that showed up and start throwing spinners,they hammered them for awhile but it slowed way down later.I never saw a bright one caught.I saw bright ones being caught on the Kalama,I never caught one just saw them.I didn't bother fishing for those on the Washougal they wer pretty bad.The guys that did,cleaned there's they were still reddish inside,I didn't see any white meat.No telling what they looked like when they got home with them.They must have been at the hatchery for awhile.They hadn't spawned out yet some had eggs or sperm in them.Thay should have recycled them alot earlier,I think. confused I was fishing at the tailout when the trucks showed up and went up and watched them put them in the river.RT also if you remember all the rocks that were just above the boat launch,the last big flood we had moved them down in front of the launch and down just a little.The tailout is still good tho thats where I caught that 211/2 lb fish last friday smile ,I've heard of several others since then over 20(5 or 6)and lots of 18-19 lb fish being caught.I'll swear there was a couple they dumped back in the river that was bigger then mine was at least they looked like it while they were laying around out there.So there's some big fish in the river or there was for awhile there.The other two keepers and the nates,I caught were about 6-7 lbs.I did catch one old summer fish that might have been around 15-16 lbs tho.
Bob

[ 01-17-2002: Message edited by: dawhunt ]

#135674 - 01/17/02 11:01 PM Re: Is there a lull in the steelhead season?
silver hilton Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Out there, somewhere
We fished up here today on the Sky. Saw several fish roll, some of them quite bright, but couldn't get them to bite. Tried everything under the sun, including all the different permutations that were working up to week ago, and couldn't buy a bite.

My favorite theory is that the fish that are left in the river are the non-biters, as the biters have been siphoned out.

#135675 - 01/18/02 10:16 AM Re: Is there a lull in the steelhead season?
willierower Offline
Spawner

Loc: Albany OR
RT,
I have had the "unfortunate" chance to watch the ODFW dump recycled steelhead were I was fishing a couple of different times. The reason I say it is unfortunate is because every dildo who owns a yellow Eagle Clw rod comes out of the wood work to try there "luck"at catching those fish. In my experience a few fish are usually a lttle pissed about being tossed in a truck, driven back down the river, dumped back in the river to have to swim back through the gauntlet. These fish wll bite justabout everything in sight. The majority of the fish either haul butt back up river or drop downstream aways and are locked jawed for about 12 to 24 hours.
I was just arriving at a take out on the S. Santiam one afternoon just as the fish truck was dumping its second load of recycled spring chinook. Those chinook, unlike the steelhead were on a rampage. They were biting anything and everything that we threw at them. It was fun landing and releasing about 10 nooks apiece.

#135676 - 01/19/02 02:08 AM Re: Is there a lull in the steelhead season?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey Paul, what's wrong with a yellow rod? That's the hot setup at the Wind and Drano. laugh

Talk with ya Monday.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
CHUBS
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 939 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645302 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |