Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#135971 - 01/19/02 03:03 AM STALKED BY A COUGAR AT BLUE CREEK
fromcuthroattosteelies Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: olympia
I talked with a friend of mine who fished Blue Creek Tuesday morning. Told me that a cougar spotted him about halfway down the trail and followed him until he hit the crossing point on the creek. When the cat saw all the people it bolted like a bat out of hell. SCARY! Is this a typical occurance?

#135972 - 01/19/02 03:28 AM Re: STALKED BY A COUGAR AT BLUE CREEK
Perfect Drift Offline
Smolt

Loc: Battle Ground, Washington
Whoa dude, don't say sh^t like that. You'll scare the freakin' crap outta me!!!

I fish a lot of remote places by MYSELF on many different rivers around the state, especially on the OP. Off the bank. Without heat. How many of you think this is a bad idea?? If so, what should I be packing?? Suggestions anyone. I'm already looking over my shoulder. Dunno what the hell I'd do if I was 4 miles from the truck, in thick tundra, down a canyon and came face to face, eyeball to eyeball with a big cat, all by my lonesome. I'm not worried about bear. My Vancouver Island summer-run adventures on the upper Gold has taught me that, but them damn cats.. Every time I think about it... gives me the f'n creeps. eek eek eek

James

Original Creator: Ultimate Egg Cure

#135973 - 01/19/02 03:51 AM Re: STALKED BY A COUGAR AT BLUE CREEK
Chromeo Offline
Spawner

Loc: Kenmore, WA
that is scary! my friends and i had a similar encounter with a bear. we kind of stumbeled upon his fishing hole. eek i'd say carry a big rifle on a shoulder harness.
tyler

#135974 - 01/19/02 05:26 AM Re: STALKED BY A COUGAR AT BLUE CREEK
bentpole Offline
Juvenille at Sea

I never leave home without a S.A.M. or scud so no worrys here laugh

#135975 - 01/19/02 05:41 AM Re: STALKED BY A COUGAR AT BLUE CREEK
Anonymous
Unregistered

If they are coming at you don't run! Same with bears. Especially if you make a good sized profile. There are much worse 2 legged varmit out there worth carrying heat for.

#135976 - 01/19/02 07:37 AM Re: STALKED BY A COUGAR AT BLUE CREEK
Cyclops Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Tacoma, Wa.
Sounds like a pretty tall "Cougar" story to me!!! Did he get a look at the cat or just here something. I wouldn't think a cougar would hang out around a high "human" traffic area like blue creek. But, maybe this one has developed a taste for BLOOD. eek eek eek

#135977 - 01/19/02 08:51 AM Re: STALKED BY A COUGAR AT BLUE CREEK
mt. mike Offline
Parr

Loc: florence mt
Everyone knows that cats don't like water, right?
My recomendation on what to pack for protection is......Super soaker 2000 I would think anything less than a full one quart capacity might be a little iffy. laugh

#135978 - 01/19/02 09:18 AM Re: STALKED BY A COUGAR AT BLUE CREEK
ltlCLEO Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: brownsville wa.
I have spent the last 15 years fishing the back country,taught survival to young troubled kids in tha cascades, Hiked cross country up on some of the headwaters of the oly pen and have seen one cougar,running from me!I have seen plenty of sign and fresh kills around a week old but I do not feel threatened!If god wants to feed me to a cougar so be it but I think I stand a better chance of being eaten by Ike! frown

#135979 - 01/19/02 09:29 AM Re: STALKED BY A COUGAR AT BLUE CREEK
ynotfish Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: goldbar,wa
that happened to me once where the north and south fork sky meet by index , just had that feeling that something was watching me made the hair on my neck stand up, kept lookin over my shoulder but didnt see anything finally spotted him sitting on a log in the brush watching me, he didnt bother me but i did head out....creepy feeling

#135980 - 01/19/02 11:58 AM Re: STALKED BY A COUGAR AT BLUE CREEK
Chromeo Offline
Spawner

Loc: Kenmore, WA
i saw the bear in startup it was about 75yards away when we first spotted it then it went around a bend and we thought we were ok but we started fishing again and it came out of the bushes about 50 yards away. man that was scary! eek
tyler
p.s. we were about 2 miles down river from the car.

#135981 - 01/19/02 12:55 PM Re: STALKED BY A COUGAR AT BLUE CREEK
Dr Pepper Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Sequim, Washington
Looks like someone wanted to fish blue creek without the crowd........... laugh

~ Dr Pepper

http://www.steelheader.net

#135982 - 01/19/02 01:12 PM Re: STALKED BY A COUGAR AT BLUE CREEK
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
Perfect Drift - all you gotta do is out run Keith! eek Shouldn't be too hard! laugh

#135983 - 01/19/02 01:21 PM Re: STALKED BY A COUGAR AT BLUE CREEK
Old Man Offline
Spawner

Loc: Silver Star,Mt
I was fishing Pilchuck Creek one time up by the head waters. I came around a bend in the creek and came up on a black bear. I turned around and ran. I think that I even walked on water that day. I don't know what he did because I didn't stick around. Jim S. laugh

#135984 - 01/19/02 01:39 PM Re: STALKED BY A COUGAR AT BLUE CREEK
Fish Jesus Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tacoma
Did the cat have HOOFS? rolleyes

FJ...out.

Fishing is my religion dammit!

#135985 - 01/19/02 03:01 PM Re: STALKED BY A COUGAR AT BLUE CREEK
River Riches Offline
Alevin

Loc: Steilacoom, Wa
Why is it that I have been hunting cats and bears for years and with alot of effort cannot sneak up on a bear or walk down a cougar, but all of you guys get them walking up to you? It doesn't make any sense confused

#135986 - 01/19/02 03:48 PM Re: STALKED BY A COUGAR AT BLUE CREEK
UltimateFeashKacher Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: WA
I saw the Cougar you are talking about at blue creek. He went to WSU, I know him laugh

Cats sometimes follow you and you rarely can see them. They are just curious. They don't attack. Sometimes they attack if you are 2 ft tall (little kids). eek I have been in their area many times, they avoid you.

[ 01-19-2002: Message edited by: UltimateFeashKacher ]

#135987 - 01/19/02 03:55 PM Re: STALKED BY A COUGAR AT BLUE CREEK
Paranoid Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Snohomish
The best advice I can give is to make sure that you can outrun your fishing buddy!

#135988 - 01/19/02 03:55 PM Re: STALKED BY A COUGAR AT BLUE CREEK
haverodwillfish Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Fort Lewis, WA
Well if it isn't the a holes you are packing heat for at Blue Creek, it's cougars. Say, what's next, Bigfoot sightings? I fished BC one time since getting in W WA in August of 2000, never again. The crowds at that place don't even make the sport fun. If it is your bag, then have fun, I would rather catch nothing fishing all by myself on the upper Green than fight the crowds at BC. Good luck to anyone who does, and don't forget the catnip.

-George Orwell

#135989 - 01/19/02 04:44 PM Re: STALKED BY A COUGAR AT BLUE CREEK
Fish Jesus Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tacoma
Paranoid, my fishing partner (Randy) who with bad knees and only capable of short bursts of speed makes him the perfect fishing partner. Just one of the many aspects that makes him a good one! laugh

Actually I would go to battle for my brother and friends mad

FJ...out.

Fishing is my religion dammit!

#135990 - 01/19/02 05:25 PM Re: STALKED BY A COUGAR AT BLUE CREEK
FishinFinatic Offline
Fry

Loc: West Linn Oregon
Here in oregon they banned hunting cougars and bears with dogs. Now the population of those damn cats are increasing by alot in some counties. Myself i have had a runnin with a paticular cougar 2 days in a row. On the 3 day, i decided to go somewhere else.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Skate
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
3 registered (FishCatcher, wolverine, 1 invisible), 1446 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |