Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#136078 - 01/19/02 02:56 PM Dumb Questions
Coot Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Kelowna British Columbia
There should be a special board where a guy can ask those questions that bug him but asking them makes him feel stupid. I have accumulated thousands of them.
For example: what do you do when you get a backlash in your baitcaster reel. Now dont tell me you have never had one!
I have my own solution but what is yours;quit fishihg ,sit down and pick it out, cut the line , cut out the backlash and salvage the good line with a blood knot.
Bob; there should be a special place you can ask these questions without feeling stupid.

#136080 - 01/19/02 04:04 PM Re: Dumb Questions
UltimateFeashKacher Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: WA
One of my instructors at college used to say "The only stupid question is the one you don't ask". He was absolutely right. wink

I work on it for 5 minutes. If it is a mess I cut it and do a blood knot to add line if necessary. I also carry a backup reel.

[ 01-19-2002: Message edited by: UltimateFeashKacher ]

#136081 - 01/19/02 04:15 PM Re: Dumb Questions
haverodwillfish Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Fort Lewis, WA
First and foremost, you have to cuss, very important state of mind there, and then get out the spare reel or spool. Don't forget the cussing part.

-George Orwell

#136082 - 01/19/02 05:09 PM Re: Dumb Questions
Coot Offline
Juvenille at Sea

The first thing I do is grab the line and yard it in hand over hand.I have learned from bitter experience that the hook,weight and float will hang up in the rocks . Once the rig is on my side of the river in the shallows I start to pick out the line. This is where I curse,curse those big wide bars on the calcutta reels. Either the japs have very small fingers or never get backlashes.
If it isent out in five minutes I switch to anothe reel .If I get two backlashes in a morning I sit down ,curse some more ,have a drink and a smoke , and curse the calcuttas.

#136083 - 01/19/02 07:11 PM Re: Dumb Questions
bardo Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: union wa
hey coot, i thought all you cannucks used those knucle busters. actually a good question. if i get a bad backlash, i quit fishing.spare spool sounds like the best option to me.

#136084 - 01/19/02 07:49 PM Re: Dumb Questions
Coot Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Well Ya Bardo I still have several of those knuckle bustin centerpins but I`ve seen the light. mind you we are slow learners up here so you`ll still see some centerpins on the Vedder.
Actually when it comes to fishing light from a flyrod its hard to beat the smooth drift of a centerpin.Even the Yanks from Michigan will tell you that. By the way you can still get the mother of all birds nests with a centerpin.

#136085 - 01/19/02 08:11 PM Re: Dumb Questions
haverodwillfish Offline
Juvenille at Sea

See? Cussing is the most important part! Really though, the dull fingernail cleaner/file of your clippers works great, more cussing though. Ha ha, good luck.

-George Orwell

#136086 - 01/19/02 08:43 PM Re: Dumb Questions
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
I am particularly adept at undoing birdsnests on my 6500C3. I just find the offend part of the nest and pull it to the right or left. It usually comes out in a few tries.

Maybe I should clean my reel, as I got it as a wedding gift from the wife 7 years ago, and I have yet to do anything but rinse it off.

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#136087 - 01/19/02 08:47 PM Re: Dumb Questions
cowlitzfisherman Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Toledo, Washington
Coot

After guiding for many years, I had my share of backlashes! The one and only simple way that I found that really worked was to use my comb as pick. I could never get my big fingers inside to find the lead rap. By using the very end of your plastic comb, you will be able to pick out the backlash in very short order. It worked for me thousands of times and it will work for you too. The comb is soft enough that it will not chap your line during the picking process.

Try it, you'll like it! laugh laugh laugh

Cowlitzfisherman

Is the taste of the bait worth the sting of the hook????

Is the taste of the bait worth the sting of the hook????

#136088 - 01/19/02 08:53 PM Re: Dumb Questions
CRAVEN MOOREHEAD Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: TACOMA,WA
First thing I do when I get a backlash is look for the cause of it...(never my fault) a stick, rock, twig, piece of grass...etc...and seek vengence.

#136089 - 01/19/02 08:59 PM Re: Dumb Questions
Chromeo Offline
Spawner

Loc: Kenmore, WA
i always carry a back up rod and reel with me. if you get a backlash and get it out and continue to fish with kinded line it is 400 times easier to get another backlash. mad
tyler

#136090 - 01/19/02 09:08 PM Re: Dumb Questions
Robert Allen3 Offline
Spawner

Loc: vancouver WA USA
2 words FLY FISHING hee hee

NO seriously something that is pretty important when picking out a backlash on a bait caster is not to pull too hard on any one strand. Doing do can cause some major kinks in your line and even if you do get the backlash out you may have done some sever damage to your line that could result in a lost fish. And worse yet that fish is gonna be swimming around with who knows how mych line hanging out of his mouth. So try to keep everything loose as you undo the backlash.

Actually I think that was a dang good question on a topic that almost every steelheader encounters on a daily basis.

#136091 - 01/19/02 09:13 PM Re: Dumb Questions
Dave Jackson Offline
Spawner

Loc: Milwaukie, OR
Kind sir, there are no stupid questions. I have, however, on occasion, witnessed some stupid answers.

Like this one.

#136092 - 01/19/02 10:44 PM Re: Dumb Questions
Diana Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Port Angeles, WA
I let everything drift downstream and pull it all toward the bank as far as possible, knowing that 8 out 10 times I'm gonna lose it anyway. Then I pull up on all the wraps I can get ahold of. Usually that will align them well enough that smooth pulling of the main will unwrap it.
If all else fails, I cut the mess out and reconnect it with a blood knot. And then I cast until I've worn a hole in my thumb from those little nubby ends that protrude from the blood knot.
Or you could switch to a closed face Snoopy rod. laugh
diana

#136093 - 01/19/02 10:44 PM Re: Dumb Questions
ynotfish Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: goldbar,wa
ok ill ask one do you think it matters which way you fill your reel with line to reduce "loopy line"
mike confused

#136094 - 01/19/02 11:23 PM Re: Dumb Questions
Bob Offline

Dazed and Confused

Loc: Forks, WA & Soldotna, AK
Hey Coot ... I'm a firm believer in what UFK has to say. Ask away, right here, right now smile

If anyone makes you feel stupid, let me know and I'll inflict a world of cyber-hurt upon them :p

We all had to start sometime, or all started over with a new technique at another. We all have had questions at one time or another that we now feel everyone should know ... something we should always keep in mind smile

"You CANNOT fix stupid!"

#136095 - 01/19/02 11:43 PM Re: Dumb Questions
Anonymous
Unregistered

Coot
UFK and Bob are right on. wink First thing to do is avoid birdsnests by making sure your reel is adjusted right for what you're tossin. Second don't overfill your reel. My major pain is not birds nests right off the bat but that occasional d@mm overspool at the end of the cast that leaves a little loose line on the spool. If left there they will ultimately cause a birds nest and other problems.
Only solution is to let the line continue spooling off until you've cleared it and reel up the slack quickly. Pain in the butt when you've put your gear in the sweet spot.

gooose laugh

#136096 - 01/19/02 11:53 PM Re: Dumb Questions
ONTHESAUK Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Mount Vernon, WA
Thanks Gooose. Fairly new to casting reels. Thought that loose line at the end of a cast was only happening to me.

#136097 - 01/20/02 01:13 AM Re: Dumb Questions
Skywalker Offline
Spawner

Loc: Snohomish, WA, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by gooose:
Coot
UFK and Bob are right on. wink First thing to do is avoid birdsnests by making sure your reel is adjusted right for what you're tossin. Second don't overfill your reel. My major pain is not birds nests right off the bat but that occasional d@mm overspool at the end of the cast that leaves a little loose line on the spool. If left there they will ultimately cause a birds nest and other problems.
Only solution is to let the line continue spooling off until you've cleared it and reel up the slack quickly. Pain in the butt when you've put your gear in the sweet spot.

gooose laugh

Good call, gooose. Set the reel up right and as long as you clear the blackberries and cotton woods behind you, you'll be fine. wink

I've never had a "professional overrun" that I couldn't clear in less than 5 minutes, but I've had a lot of them. I've been fishing for years with a Quantum, just got a Curado and fished with it for one day (before I blew out my knee and haven't fished since December). I couldn't believe the difference. The first bird's nest I get in that reel will be a surprise.

#136098 - 01/20/02 01:39 AM Re: Dumb Questions
Anonymous
Unregistered

SkyWalker thanks laugh . Best birdsnest I've ever seen was due to overhanging brush that none of us can avoid....even the "elitists." Guy next to me clipped a branch behind hin and ended up with a world famous backlash....for some reason he didn't care much about that as much as the 2/0 gammi sunk in his butt eek eek eek !
Man those hooks are sharp. Anyway they borrowed my leadmasters to clip the hook point off and withdraw the offending object. One of my fondest funniest fishin memories.

Gooose wink

#136099 - 01/20/02 01:42 AM Re: Dumb Questions
Timber Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Stumpy Acres
It doesnt matter how many years you fish at one time or another you are bound to backlash!!

Coot- for your question I would say either carry a spare reel or cut off the bad and bloodknot a new piece..bloodknots will HOLD!!Its kinda a biatch having to redo it all but if you dont carry a spare rod or reel thats the best way..

Goose- I hear exactly what you are talking about! What I usually do is keep it free spooled with your thumb on the spool and when your rig drifts around and normally you would reel up just free spool some line out slowly where you can still get a drift.No point in wastin a cast..Once it clears up reel like helll hehehe...

There are tons of what I feel are dumb questions so I just wait and ask someone in private wink That way you only get embarassed by one person instead of 2000..hehehe TM

#136100 - 01/20/02 01:42 AM Re: Dumb Questions
Scaly Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Sequim, WA, USA
I guess no one else is going to offer this tip, so I will...
Borrow a crochet or darning needle from granny, preferably a metal one, the kind with a sort of "barb" on the end. Stick the other end in a wine cork (for a handle) and you'll have the tool you need for reaching the snarls! Easy as cussing, and a lot faster!

#136101 - 01/20/02 02:38 AM Re: Dumb Questions
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Nisqually
Bob, good job of jumping in there and explaining the purpose of this forum. Isn't the purpose to share info and experience?? We can all learn something as we all have different experiences.

#136102 - 01/20/02 03:07 AM Re: Dumb Questions
headshaker Offline
Alevin

Loc: Oregon
Way to go Bob!!! Everyone has started from step "0" and that is a given!!!
As far as birdnests on my baitcaster.... I work on it for five minutes or until I realize it is a lost cause. I don't get too many. I always carry a backup reel to slap on with hardly any time lost. Remember guys.. you spend money for gas plus your time is short on the river so why not be prepared for the worst!

#136103 - 01/20/02 12:52 PM Re: Dumb Questions
kalamabama Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: LaCenter Wa USA
Scaly you beat me to it. Your method works great I have one with me allways. The wine cork is a great idea. I will add one to the hook. thanks laugh

#136104 - 01/20/02 01:18 PM Re: Dumb Questions
HntnFsh Offline
Spawner

Loc: Toledo Wa
A lot of places sell little picks for this.Bobs in longview has a box full of them.The trick is to pick out the ones that will work best.A lot of times if you have any teeth left,when you go to the dentist for a good cleaning they will have some picks that are worn out.If you ask nice they would possibly give it to you.Just dull the tip a little so it doesnt score your line.The one I got at Bobs has a little crook in it and a small flat end about a 1/16 wide.its perfect for birdnests. laugh

#136105 - 01/20/02 01:58 PM Re: Dumb Questions
Buzzo Offline
Parr

Loc: Albany, OR
Backlashing is a symptom, but what is the cause?
Figuring that out will make you alot happier than being an expert backlash knot remover. When I was first using the casting reels, I never took it to areas thick with vegetation or rocks that would disturb my cast. Usually a backlash comes from trying to compensate for something in your way like a branch or bank, and you tend to whip your wrist or arm at the wrong time causing backlash.
Try to become an expert at long-distance casting with nothing in your way, learning the spool release tension and drag system. Then you can start the finesse casting in tight situations.
Another thing I learned is the underhand lob cast. This can be done one-handed while facing the river sideways with your casting arm toward the river. Start with rod tip about shoulder height opposite where you are casting, and just give it a gentle underhand swing. When the pendulum reaches close to its axis you'll feel it- release. This method helps to get an idea how much tension is needed for a successful cast, better than the overhead whipping cast point and hurl.
Hope that helps, I'm kind of ramblin' on-

HT

#136106 - 01/20/02 02:03 PM Re: Dumb Questions
Coot Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Lots of great stuff here although I was a little miffed :<0) By Dianas suggestion I`ll quit before I fish one of those monstrosities.
Actually I have been fishing baitcaster reels for more than seventy years.My first was a 1927 Shakespere and in those days there was no levelwind,no adjustable brake,and only a click drag. We fished them with silk braid line and had to spool them even by using your fingerr as a levelwind guide.
Man you should have seen some of the backlashes we got in those days.
My moto is try everything but be an expert at nothing.

#136107 - 01/21/02 06:04 AM Re: Dumb Questions
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey Coot, what's a backlash? (stupid Q's welcome - right?) I've never had one, hehe - well a few from a belt when I was a routy kid. rolleyes By the way Coot, just wanted to alert you that WWII is over now (just teasing ya about your earlier post). One thing that some of you new members may not be aware of; when fishing with a professional fishing guide, if you backlash his reels for a third consecutive time in one day the guide can now legally murder you if he so chooses. eek laugh Wouldn't that have been nice Cowfish back when we were guiding? jk ...

I do have one really stupid question - you encouraged them. "Who put the bomp in the bomp shu bomp shu bomp?" (you early rockers should know that)

#136108 - 01/21/02 12:04 PM Re: Dumb Questions
PhishPhreak Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: North Bend, WA
Stating the obvious - no matter how pi$$ed off you are at the bird nest, if you cut the line, please take it home with you.

#136109 - 01/21/02 01:18 PM Re: Dumb Questions
rc Offline
Parr

Loc: Olympia, WA
Great reminder Phreak. It's so tempting just to leave that nasty tangle lay. I have to confess that I've done it a few times in the past. Now I carry a ziplock bag to stuff mine and other's in and dispose of it at home. I hate the thought of an otter or a loon or a steelhead or some other critter getting tangled up in it. frown

Ron

#136110 - 01/21/02 02:24 PM Re: Dumb Questions
Coho Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Muk
There are no stupid questions-there are only stupid people

#136111 - 01/21/02 08:45 PM Re: Dumb Questions
Coot Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Hey RT: I quit fighting ww2 backin 1946 I`m working on the war of 1812 now.My great great grandpappy was in that one and we still reminis about his somewhat exadurated exploits around the dinner table. My great grand kids think I`m prehistoric.
Rt i`m convinced you are the only man alive who has never had to pick out a backlash from his baitcaster.
I ordered up some 20 lb Power pro which I will be trying out shortly.If I get a backlash that takes more than 20 minutes to free;I`ll send the reel and all to you.
When in doubt turn to the experts.

#136112 - 01/22/02 05:47 AM Re: Dumb Questions
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey Coot, because of all the backlashes I've had I am able to cus faster than 200 dirty words per minute! wink

#136113 - 01/22/02 10:15 AM Re: Dumb Questions
ltlCLEO Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: brownsville wa.
I need a picture of a cheerleader with big pom poms yelling spinning reel, spinning reel! laugh
Great post guys and yes even with spinning reels you get backlashes but not anywhere near as much.Usually because I got carried away putting line on! rolleyes

#136115 - 01/22/02 10:52 AM Re: Dumb Questions
chrome/22 Offline
Captain C/22 - Team Stay Up Right!

Loc: Hurricane Ridge , Wa.
Bigger Pom-Pom's please! laugh laugh

#136116 - 01/22/02 11:11 AM Re: Dumb Questions
Slab Quest Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Mukilteo or Westport
Well, I learned from this thread to carry an old comb and not pull too hard. I'm an ol saltwater guy that is new to steelheading, so the backlash info is very useful to me.

Coot, you said you have thousands of these questions. How about another?

#136117 - 01/22/02 11:56 AM Re: Dumb Questions
Beezer Offline
Spawner

Loc: Monroe WA
Hey Coot, I hated my calcutta when I first bought it too. Then I read the directions. There are some counter balance thingies inside the reel cover that you can adjust. I took the side plate off and adjusted half of them the opposite way that they came from the factory and now it casts like a dream.

Beezer

#136118 - 01/22/02 06:41 PM Re: Dumb Questions
spawnout Offline
Spawner

Loc: Satsop
Hey, I haven't seen this one yet - what I do first is loosten the loops a bit with my finger nail, sort of side-to-side all the way around the spool. Then you can find the individual loops easier. And I know my backlashes - learned how in the late 50's on a Green Hornet knucklebuster - no free spool, no tension adjustment, and no drag. Modern reels don't even remotely approach the backlash capabilities we enjoyed in the "good ole days", right Coot? laugh

#136119 - 01/23/02 12:45 AM Re: Dumb Questions
haverodwillfish Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Aunty M,
Thanks for the cheerleader, I laughed my a$$ off for a long time. I am over here in Kosovo this winter, longing for steelhead, living with 6 other guys, no girls. They have brought in the Redskins cheerleaders for us to gawk at but that cheerleader that you posted really satisfied my tastebuds, among other things, ha ha, thanks again.

-George Orwell

#136120 - 01/23/02 12:41 PM Re: Dumb Questions
Coot Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Hey Breezer: I dont hate my Calcutta ,a sweet little 250.Like you I figured I should adjust the brake weights and removed all of them.Disaster the spool spun so fast I couldent keep up with it.I went back to the factory settings and they were perfect for 3/8oz .I dident even have to change the settings for 20lb powerpro.That stuff is dynamite it feels just like the old silk braid but one hell of a site stronger.
In case anybody wants to start fooling around with the break weights on a Shimano just make sure you adjust them in pairs selecting directly oposite weights.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
cfinlip, Fishbait, gkohler
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 669 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 27837
Dan S. 16958
Sol Duc 15727
The Moderator 13941
Salmo g. 13394
eyeFISH 12606
STRIKE ZONE 11969
Dogfish 10878
ParaLeaks 10363
Jerry Garcia 9013
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63786 Topics
645450 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |