THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#136934 - 01/24/02 02:08 AM Re: Buying eggs from gill-netted fish...ethical?
Fisherdan Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Auburn, Wa, USA
I have to vouch for Andy on this one. I met up with him for some deer hunting and he never mooched any eggs the entire hunt.

Seriously, does anyone really think that buying eggs is an issue? Flame me gently.

Fisherdan

#136935 - 01/24/02 02:26 AM Re: Buying eggs from gill-netted fish...ethical?
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
Dan,

I think that you are forgetting that you and Zach had to hold me back from running down to that stream and grabbing a hen or two for eggs. wink

We actually found a tributary of the Chehalis that was maybe three feet across and was full of wild silvers. We were about 7 miles from the main stem of the river. There was a part of the stream that had actually run over the roadway because of the excess rainfall and the silvers were zipping up the road. I don't ever remember see that many fish that far up before. We were about a mile or so from the headwaters of that particular stream.

Keith,

The anchovie and herring stocks are actually improving, but you are right in pointing out that they were very low. The anchovies are seeing the best improvement of the two. The ocean conditions over that past few years have been a boon to all of the oceanic species in our area.

Having Westport as part of my market area gives me a unique insight on the future fishing prospects as I get to talk with people actually involved in all aspects of the fishing industry, not just the armchair biologists. I think that I had posted in June of this year that one of my clients told me that 2001 was the best Troll King season opener in 20 years, and just what type of season did everyone have? I will continue to share my info with you folks as I find out about it. Good info, regardless of where it comes from is still good info.

Ryan,

I appreciate your enthusiasm and your focus on the issues as you see them. Keep on fighting the good fight, but be careful of the stance you take because you may turn some folks away from your cause. People can get turned off very quickly by overly emotional protests. Moderation may actually gain you more supporters.

Andy

[ 01-23-2002: Message edited by: Dogfish ]

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#136936 - 01/24/02 02:49 AM Re: Buying eggs from gill-netted fish...ethical?
Bob Offline

Dazed and Confused

Loc: Forks, WA & Soldotna, AK
I'll stand by Ryan on this one.

Whether it is a by-product or not, I view buying eggs from gillnetted fish a vote of approval for the netting. It doesn't matter if it's $100 a pound or one cent ... you're providing a marketplace. It's as simple as that.

"You CANNOT fix stupid!"

#136937 - 01/24/02 03:17 AM Re: Buying eggs from gill-netted fish...ethical?
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Loc: Vancouver, WA
By no means do I stand by netting, and especially netting that includes native fish whether it's indians or whities. The simple fact is they will keep netting.
A great solution is to get eggs from hatcheries but you can't do that either. Why waste any part of the fish if it is netted and as I mentioned earlier why send the eggs over seas.
I put up as many eggs as I can legally and then the surplus to support my hobby has to come from somewhere.
No more bait, then no more fishing for me...

#136938 - 01/24/02 03:38 AM Re: Buying eggs from gill-netted fish...ethical?
Perfect Drift Offline
Smolt

Loc: Battle Ground, Washington
Listen, don't get started on the bait thing.. Next it will be bait bans and that's not right. I don't discriminate others for there chosen method of fishing. Enough said.
As far as the indian discussions see my signature below.. wink

[ 01-24-2002: Message edited by: Perfect Drift ]

Original Creator: Ultimate Egg Cure

#136939 - 01/24/02 05:31 AM Re: Buying eggs from gill-netted fish...ethical?
RPetzold Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Everett, Wa
I must clarify one thing:

1)I am not against fishing with bait...as a matter of fact, I've got more fish this winter on eggs then anything else.

I've got so much more I want to say in regards to this issue but I feel I will begin to repeat myself plus it is late and sadly, I think this falling on deaf ears. As I sit here, I seriously believe I am missing something...I just do not get why any of you would do such a thing. frown

[ 01-24-2002: Message edited by: RPetzold ]

#136940 - 01/24/02 05:40 AM Re: Buying eggs from gill-netted fish...ethical?
Timber Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Stumpy Acres
I am so dam tired of this $hit!!! The indians have the RIGHT to net! rolleyes Give me a phuckin break!! This netting $hit is getting way out of hand and if some of you people cant see that then you are stupid.. BAN ALL NETS If we can get the timber industry cut back like has been done then there is no reason that we cant get netting at least cut back..Why the hell should the indians get to gill net rivers and I cant?BULL$HIT!! If you want to talk about discrimination as far as I see it the white male over 18 is the minority in this country now days...The law was passed by Judge Boldt who was "BEDDING" with an indian at the time he passed it..I get so dam tired of all these free hand out to people and other people coming into this country and gettin LOW intrest loans and the same for the idians and welfare and the phuckin government handouts..I pay through the nose in income tax to give it to someone else because they dont want to work or they say they were treated unfair in some way and need compensation!!I call BULL$HIT again...If netting is a ritual thing or what ever the hellthey call it, then get enough for your medicine man dance and STOP selling fish..
Just like rivers being off limits to us like the Quinalt.I call BULL$HIT again...can anyone of us own a river and keep people off of it NO!!! Then why in the hell should they be able to..Looks to me like maybe we should call this country..INDIAN OWNED STATES OF AMERICA..United my A$$ if it was there wouldnt be groups getting special treatmant..Seems to me they can call there own shots like they own the whole phuckin place!

We all need to come together and find some even ground here because this aint working..

well I guess I've stirred the pot enough.. I'm done..TM

#136941 - 01/24/02 09:30 AM Re: Buying eggs from gill-netted fish...ethical?
Skywalker Offline
Spawner

Loc: Snohomish, WA, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Man:
well I guess I've stirred the pot enough.. I'm done..TM

That's part of the problem, TM. People B!tch and figure they've done their part. P!ssing and moaning is easy. Resolving the issue is far from easy, and the result is continued b!tching. Note I'm not complaining about the situation right now, because I don't know what the answer is. Boldt screwed the non-indians with his interpretation and it's a very difficult decision to overturn. It's the law, though, and until it's changed, you either live with it or subject yourself to the consequences. By the way, it's a lot easier to assess the health of a forest than an anadromous fish stock. Yes, I know it's more complex than just counting the trees, but you get the picture.

#136942 - 01/24/02 09:43 AM Re: Buying eggs from gill-netted fish...ethical?
fishdoc Offline
Eyed Egg

Loc: Olympia
Gentlemen,
There are far worse things in this life that somebody could be doing then buying eggs from an already dead fish. Do I agree with the nets in the water? Nope I don't, but this is America, and in America we have the wonderful, incredible freedom to do what we want when we want to do it. As a Doctor there are many things I see almost everyday that I disagree with but still must take care of. Does that water me down, yes I imagine it does. I don't know anyone on this board but Ryan I can only picture you as an overzealous, arrogant, ignorant college kid. If you are something else then I am sorry, but I was one once also. That said I must say that in theory I agree with you, but then again I have never had the need to buy any eggs. I see many people buying eggs at the Sporting Goods stores. I can only imagine that these eggs were harvested from commercially caught fish, some if not all. Anyway to answer the question of ethics, in this case I don't believe it is ethics it is opinion and there is a big difference between the two.

Doc

#136943 - 01/24/02 10:25 AM Re: Buying eggs from gill-netted fish...ethical?
meth man Offline
Eyed Egg

Hey Sparky. Stick to your guns on this one. If there were a couple hundred thousand more like you, your wish might come true.Oh yea. you want to buy a cherry IMX 1082c for 250.00? It comes with a free G. Loomis hat.

#136944 - 01/24/02 11:02 AM Re: Buying eggs from gill-netted fish...ethical?
Grass Hopper Offline
Smolt

Loc: Woodinville,Wa
Its sucks and is unfortunate but nets have been around longer than fishing poles and everybody has to make a living. I'd rather see nets in individual rivers than an ocean fishery that kills not knowing where the returns are going.
I'll fish a jig before I buy bait from a netter! Its almost as ethical as clubbing Natives.

#136945 - 01/24/02 05:04 PM Re: Buying eggs from gill-netted fish...ethical?
bank walker Offline
Spawner

Holy smokes fellas... I think we can all agree that netting, whether tribal or commercial is bad. Then why the hell would you support them by buying roe? Yeah, the fish is already dead, but the fact of the matter is somebody is making money from that dead fish.

With the exceptional runs we have been having, why would you need to go out and buy eggs? If you are having a hard time hooking fish, ask some of the guys in here, chances are somebody has a bunch of roe they will not beable to use. Another thing is, there is so many techniques out there that will take fish just as readily as eggs will. Throw a float n' jig, then go back with a spoon, maybe some raw prawn or sandies, chances are if they wont hit any of those setups they wont hit anything...
"I have a fair idea of what to expect from the river, and usually, because I fish it that way, the river gives me approximately what I expect of it. But sooner or later something always comes up to change the set of my ways..."
- Roderick Haig-Brown

#136946 - 01/24/02 05:42 PM Re: Buying eggs from gill-netted fish...ethical?
GutZ Offline
The Original Boat Ho

Loc: Bellevue
Right on TM!
Perhaps someday the Federal Courts will look at the crazed mans decision. All people should have equal rights.

I hope that some of Salmo G's solutions will come to be. Perhaps that would ease our pain.

[ 01-24-2002: Message edited by: GutZ ]

#136947 - 01/24/02 06:41 PM Re: Buying eggs from gill-netted fish...ethical?
RPetzold Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Everett, Wa
Quote:
Originally posted by fishdoc:
I don't know anyone on this board but Ryan I can only picture you as an overzealous, arrogant, ignorant college kid.

Since you are a doctor, I am assuming you are an elder man who has seen the good ole days of prolific fish runs come and go. And your age probally brings about pessimism and conversatism-as in no desire to change.

If it takes a bunch of overzealous, arrogant and ignorant college kids to bring about change and take the power away from the lazy, satisified with status-quo pessimisitc old men, then so BE IT!!

I refure to sit back and watch the last of our wild steelhead and salmon populations go the way that the majority of them have.

When I am your age, I do not want my periods of nostaglia to remind of the good 'ole days when there were actually steelhead and salmon to be caught.

#136948 - 01/24/02 08:16 PM Re: Buying eggs from gill-netted fish...ethical?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
There are far worse things in this life than somebody could be doing than buying eggs from an already dead fish.

That's true. But it's not the issue here. Fishdoc and some others are missing the point I think. In buying eggs from non-Indian and Indian gillnetters you are supporting their activities with both a vote and dollars. This creates more dead fish that you keep refereing to as inevitable dead fish. But as I've presented in other netting issue threads, I don't mind the Indians getting their Federal Court mandated 50% share of fish. But all of us mind them getting much more than that. Those issues are discussed in Salmo G.'s good 'Solutions' thread, and in one of my netting threads, so don't need repeating here. What I think a boycott of buying netted eggs does is send the message that a large part of the populace is against gillnets that take native fish. And it takes away the hypocritical image of sportsmen.

As for the eggs you see being bought at tackle shops and from bait dealers, they are a majority of excess eggs purchased from hatcheries. This money helps fund hatchery improvements. The comm. netters mostly sell the eggs to dealers of overseas markets for caviar. They get more money from those sales than from the flesh sales. The Indians sell eggs roadside to fishermen.

And I agree that properly rigged sandshrimp tails along with colored yarn and/or corkies are on the same general level of catching steelhead that eggs are. Close enough anyway. And there has been an over abundance of sport caught hatchery salmon and steelhead hens for having some eggs to use anyway. I also find it somewhat more sporting and fun to try different non bait lures to catch these fish. That's just how I fish. Might catch a few less, but it's sure fun to feel or see a hard bobber down when fishing with a jig or pink worm, for example. Lots of other very productive lures to use also. ... My 0.02 opinion

#136949 - 01/24/02 09:53 PM Re: Buying eggs from gill-netted fish...ethical?
UltimateFeashKacher Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: WA
Ryan,

When you get old (older) you can always smoke a pipe and read the newspaper. It is fun!

#136950 - 01/24/02 09:54 PM Re: Buying eggs from gill-netted fish...ethical?
rc Offline
Parr

Loc: Olympia, WA
Dogfish.

Without debating the issue, I want to say that I noticed and appreciate the way that you responded to Ryan with respect in your fourth post. In a similar situation I'm liable to bring out the big guns and start firing away, doing whatever it takes to be 'right' or at least not be made 'wrong'. Next thing I know it's a war.

Ron

#136951 - 01/24/02 10:36 PM Re: Buying eggs from gill-netted fish...ethical?
Captain Q Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle, WA
Who needs eggs anyway? I catch all my fish on spinners and spoons! Eggs are too messy, and do you notice how those fish bite after you've thrown off that cluster you were using!

Just my $.02

#136952 - 01/24/02 11:57 PM Re: Buying eggs from gill-netted fish...ethical?
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Well, I'm not going to go too deep into this as I'm started to get flamed a bit.
I bite my lip everytime I see someone say that shrimp or prawns or spinners or spoons will do as good as eggs, ARE YOU NUTS!! Let's get down to the point, if you go fishing for scenery fine use anything.. I mean hell use a cigarette butt.. But I spend my time out there for scenery and catching fish and try to maximize in all situations, so getting to the point USE EGGS!
Keith

#136953 - 01/25/02 12:38 AM Re: Buying eggs from gill-netted fish...ethical?
bob b Offline
Smolt

Loc: Eugene,Or.
Simple question,simple answer,No.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
m_ray, Str8nr
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 250 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |