LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#137366 - 01/25/02 06:00 PM Running the bama from Deadline down!
$$B-MONEY$$ Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Eastside,Wa
I'm not asking for opinions if I should do it or not. I'd just like to know if anybody has floated it in a raft before? I've scouted it many times and in high water it is doable, however I would love to talk to someone that has already. Or if you have any horror stories to motivate me! I find myself wanting to row white water just for sheyots and giggle lately. Thanks in advance!

Vision Pro Staff
www.visionhooksandtackle.com

#137367 - 01/25/02 08:17 PM Re: Running the bama from Deadline down!
GutZ Offline
The Original Boat Ho

Loc: Bellevue
My Boss, who sold me Fishguts the 18' Eastside claims that they used to rope that baby in off the telephone pole right where you can see the River. There are still marks on the pole from Rope burn, or at least there used to be. That must be one he11 of a ride.

You could just set it at the top of the rocks, belt in and head on down! YEEEHAW! Would strongly recommend wearing a crash helmet for that one, but I suppose if you tried that it would already be too late wink

Kalamabama tells of a rafter and his brother who didn't fair to well up there...

#137368 - 01/25/02 09:00 PM Re: Running the bama from Deadline down!
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Loc: Vancouver, WA
In highwater I'd go for a boatride!! You're rowing though... So I can bail and head for the shore. I think I'll take some junk set ups so if you dump it I won't stress so much, and also take gammies.. Wouldn't want to lose any visions to a boat spill.. :p
Keith laugh

#137369 - 01/25/02 10:12 PM Re: Running the bama from Deadline down!
$$B-MONEY$$ Offline
Returning Adult

The pole also known as burnpole or the guardrail put in isn't wat I'm talking about. I've floated that before, I'm talking about upstream of there. And Keith you weigh too much to row through there on a mayden voyage! Its all that cheap beer! laugh laugh laugh

Vision Pro Staff

#137370 - 01/25/02 10:49 PM Re: Running the bama from Deadline down!
chrome/22 Offline
Captain C/22 - Team Stay Up Right!

Loc: Hurricane Ridge , Wa.
Bk, have fun on that whitewater but don't kill yourself before we go springer fishin'!! Thanks for the sample vision hooks and swivels. One question do the size #7 swivels have that hook where they snap in, or a straight-line clip? The little hook makes it tough to get a slinkie on, also what size hooks did I get 2/0? Thats what they look like. Hope Bob gets a ton of your All-Star rods up at the "Fish is Game" shop I'd like to look them over.....C/22 laugh

#137371 - 01/26/02 03:38 AM Re: Running the bama from Deadline down!
$$B-MONEY$$ Offline
Returning Adult

Hey chrome22, it was a pleasure to meet ya and I look forward to some springer slayin' on the shush-shush river just like last season! Enjoy the hooks, they were 3/0 but remember Vision hooks are roughly a half size smaller. As for the swivels sorry size 11 were all I had for samples on me today! I would recomend using size 7 for most salmon and steelhead aplications. All of our swivels are interlocking at this point, sometime in the near future we are planing on adding a straight snap for the slinky junkies! But as you saw on my rods today the interlock will still work great with slinkies. Bob will be selling all-star rods as his high-end rod for the serious fishermen, exactly when I don't know yet. They are super rods at a great value! Comparable to a GL-3 in feel, sensativity, and durabilty at a fraction of the cost. If you are serious about a all-star I have a few you could demo. You have my card call me and we can talk.

Vision Pro Staff

#137372 - 01/26/02 08:33 AM Re: Running the bama from Deadline down!
kalamabama Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: LaCenter Wa USA
I know of two folks that almost lost there lives comming down that part of the river.Both in kayaks. It is alot tougher than you think. I do not know your skill level but I would have to say you need to be VERY GOOD!! Do not do it alone or at least let some one know what you are doing and when. Would hate to see you get hurt. If you do do it eek eek eek

#137373 - 01/26/02 01:07 PM Re: Running the bama from Deadline down!
Osprey Offline
Spawner

Loc: Osprey Acres /Olympja
Haven't done deadline down,but I'v done the lower section of the Canyon. eek
word of advice......be perpared!!!so many shoots and drops you better Be lined up the first time...no second chances.......wear a helmet
You don't wanna end up talkin or Lookin like Redneck laugh ....Os

#137374 - 01/26/02 03:21 PM Re: Running the bama from Deadline down!
fishhead5 Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Shelton
Quote:
You don't wanna end up talkin or Lookin like Redneck ....Os
laugh laugh laugh Good one!!!!

Fishhead5

It is not illegal to deplete a fishery by management.

They need to limit Democrats to two terms, one in office, and one in prison.

#137375 - 01/26/02 05:58 PM Re: Running the bama from Deadline down!
willierower Offline
Spawner

Loc: Albany OR
BK,
Shawn says " Told you" And that he is still up for it.

#137376 - 01/26/02 10:28 PM Re: Running the bama from Deadline down!
Kalamakid Offline
Egg

Loc: Lebanon OR
Bk it very well could be done. And i only see two problems, scout time, and pulling everybody together on a minutes notice. The river gets high enough but it does not stay high enough very long. and theres thngs you and your team are going to have to talk about on the bank long before you ever get in a raft. First you need atleast ten people that you trust, and not just to get up and go fishing i mean TRUST!!!!!!!! With your lives.three of you in a boat and the rest at the most dangerous spots.I have alot of whitewater experiance, From big water to tech water. And the way i see it is that the stretch between deadline and painted rock is the water i would pay carefull attention to. There is a drop right before the corner leading in to painted rock that will be your toughest challenge. Stay in the middle and brace wth all you have. This is the first place that i would have two people set up with throw bags. Its not too bad of a swim but this is the one rapid that has a very big keeper hole. If the raft gets held you will be glad they are there. After that is saddle rock and three steps. You will hit the wall at the first drop in three steps but dont worry. Point your boat at the rock and hit it square, you will roll off the wall just fine. But dont waste any time geting turned back around. because now you have to hit the second drop and if you dont hit it square it wil flip you. This is where i would have two more people with throw bags to fish for people. you have alittle time before the next drop so if you do flip the throw bagers should be able to get you all but i would still have someone below the last drop fishing for people. Thats the brunt of the river if you get through that you are home free. kids take innertubes below that. As far as the rest of the safety make sure everybody knows the white water position. And your throw bager know how to work a throw bag and how to use there butts for mechanical advantage.The rest is the comunication in the boat the person rowing has the most experiance and is the person calling the shots period. The two paddle assists must listen even if they think you are wrong. They need to be able to just hear a comand and do it. Because making it down depends on it. Good luck and take your time preparing.

P.S. If you do flip try to get everybody back on the boat its alot easier for saftey to hit the boat with a throw bag than a single person floating in the water. And besides the boat is the bigest life preserver you have

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
landcruiserwilly, Tom Trune
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (wolverine), 433 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645372 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |