LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#137534 - 01/26/02 10:18 PM Kings, last week of March?
Doubletake Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Duvall, Wa.
Have the last week of March off and have never caught a king in the river yet. Other than the Columbia, what rivers would I have a shot at kings in? Any help would be appreciated. Actually, have not fished for kings either. Thanks

Doubletake

#137535 - 01/27/02 12:48 AM Re: Kings, last week of March?
Wernergonefishin Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Chehalis Wa
I would put all my bets on Wind river Run mag wiggle wart 30-40 pulls out FL orangs or u20flatfish fl orange with touch of shrimp oil very deadly both of them. Good luck use drop weight on the flatfish usally about 3oz

#137536 - 01/27/02 03:00 AM Re: Kings, last week of March?
Drano Offline
Alevin

Loc: Bellingham, WA
I'd agree. In march, your best bet is going to be the wind. FL orange is definately the way to go. It can get to be crowded down there though so bring your elbow pads. smile Your other option is drano lake. The fishing isnt as good as the wind but there are fish in there are not as much of a crowd. Good luck.

#137537 - 01/27/02 12:33 PM Re: Kings, last week of March?
bellinghamangler2 Offline
Alevin

Loc: Richland WA
Don't be afraid to be a conformist at the Wind, I tried being different last year until I realized that every fish I saw being netted had a FL orange wart in it's mouth!

#137538 - 01/27/02 01:34 PM Re: Kings, last week of March?
Led Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Key Peninsula
Drano "Blue Creek Merry Go Round" eek

#137539 - 01/27/02 07:54 PM Re: Kings, last week of March?
JacobF Offline
Spawner

Loc: Post Falls, ID
Is there any bank access on the Wind River? If so, what are some good bank tecniques that work there?

#137540 - 01/27/02 08:49 PM Re: Kings, last week of March?
Doubletake Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Duvall, Wa.
Right on! Thanks for the info. gentlemen, one last kind of dumb question, where approximately is the Wind river? LOL Sorry, I don't get out much. Thanks again.

Doubletake

#137541 - 01/28/02 02:30 AM Re: Kings, last week of March?
Drano Offline
Alevin

Loc: Bellingham, WA
The Wind is located about 30-45 mins east of Portland on the washington side. It runs right next to the city of Carson. Drano lake is about 8 miles east of the wind.

There is bank fishing access around the bridge of highway 14. There are usually quite a few people. I've never done it so I dont know how good of luck they have from shore.

Good Luck

#137542 - 01/28/02 04:20 AM Re: Kings, last week of March?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Shhhhhhht! [quiet - last year 32K; this year 40K] rolleyes

Dt, this is a very productive but ugly crowded fishery. And also keep in mind that what these guys are describing is the zone off the mouth of the Wind outside the Hwy 14 & railroad bridges into what is essentially Wind water outcropping into a large Columbia indent. So it's a bit like fishing the Columbia mainstem, but way more crowded. You can fish for these same fish, along with lots of others, below Bonneville Dam in less crowded places again this spring. They are conservatively predicting 350K up the lower Columbia and over Bonny. That number doesn't include the lower tributaries. Last spring they predicted 300K and got 440K springers! Also this year there will be about 60% finclipped for keeping, compared to 40% last spring. As for fishing the kind of rivers I think you have in mind, ....

.... as I said, the Wind R. upstream will be plugged with them again; but not just with springers, but also inconsiderate fishermen. Tough access issues also. There should be very good runs in the Cowlitz, Kalama, and NF Lewis rivers a ways south of your area. ...

How are the springer runs in recent years in the east Sound rivers north of Seattle? The last I heard, the huge runs that used to swim up the Skagit had really diminished to the point of getting the river closed. Has that changed the last couple years (getting betters runs like everywhere else, with the good ocean conditions)? How about the close by Sno'/Sky' or the Stil' and Nook' rivers these days? Do they have good enough returns for a season on them this year?

#137543 - 01/28/02 07:34 PM Re: Kings, last week of March?
Rapid Robert Offline
Spawner

Loc: Selah Wa.
DoubleTake, One thing to remember about Wind river & Drano Lake is '2001 was the only year,I fished it in the last 25 years it opened for Spring Chinook, before April 1st.So before you make plans & head over make sure it's open in March.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (Salmo g., 1 invisible), 1065 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645299 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |