Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#137717 - 01/28/02 12:22 AM Floor or side anchor systems
plug puller Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: At FL410
I have a old woldridge driftboat that I have had for a couple of years. Wooldridges have the curved top on the sides. I have a rear anchor systems now. That I am tired of turning around everytime I need to put the anchor down. I would like to get a side or floor anchor system. Is there any cheap way to get one and put it on. I thought about this from Bobs report page with the sail boat rollers. Thanks in advance.
Chris

#137718 - 01/28/02 12:31 AM Re: Floor or side anchor systems
Bob Offline

Dazed and Confused

Loc: Forks, WA & Soldotna, AK
I'll be having a detailed explanation and part list of how I did my system soon as the next tip. Unfortunately, if you do it with top quality materials figure a minimum of $250.00.

You can do it for much less if you use all aluminum rollers but you'll spend the remainder in grease guns. laugh laugh

"You CANNOT fix stupid!"

#137719 - 01/28/02 01:05 AM Re: Floor or side anchor systems
YoungManRiver Offline
Alevin

Loc: Klamath River, CA
PP,

I would suggest a floor system, for numerous reasons. The most important one being your body. It is much easier on your body to pull an object from directly in front of you. How many times in a drift do you pull up your anchor? Depending on your flavor of fishing, it my be a dozen or more. Try pulling your anchor up a dozen times in a row. With a side mount, a person obviously needs to turn his upper body slightly to get a good pull on the anchor. It may seem like an insignificant detail, but we all know someone with a bad back caused by a repetative strain. With a floor system, the motion is much more natural, using your whole body, much like rowing.
Secondly, addressing the rollers, with the side mounted system the rollers must be placed at angles that are not in perfect allignment. This, due to the arch of the side of the boat. Also seemingly insignificant, the pressure of the anchor rope constantly pulling slightly sideways on the rollers will in time(years), cause the rollers to wear out, becoming loud and annoying you and other anglers.
With the floor mount, all the rollers are in perfect line with the stinger that is in the middle of the transom. Mounted correctly, a person may be able to use one less roller(less resistance).
Personally I like to put "stuff" in the trays on the side of my boat. (fish club, towels, thermos) With the pulleys and dawg on the side mount, it will make that part of the boat off limits for convenient storage.
Yes, this is a exhausting explanation, but I feel my boat and equipment is an investment. Not only financially, but in time, and pleasure.

May I also suggest a lighter rope than most boat manuf. install. Personally I use a 3/8" dia. rope. Less roller resistance and less resitance in the current. You'll find your anchor will be able to hold you in stiffer current...

#137720 - 01/28/02 01:11 AM Re: Floor or side anchor systems
Sniggler Offline
Smolt

Loc: Olympia, WA
Would love to see how ya set that up Bob.... (awaiting the next tip) smile
been spending a bit of time in the West Marine rigging section trying to think up ideas...

[ 01-27-2002: Message edited by: Sniggler ]

#137721 - 01/28/02 03:04 AM Re: Floor or side anchor systems
headshaker Offline
Alevin

Loc: Oregon
YoungManriver...I couldn't have said it better. I like the floor mount anchor system for the reasons you mentioned and that if you have to drop anchor without taking your hands off the oars..you just step on it and it's down there. I have heard off complaints that you may hit it accidently but it has never happened to me. Just keep the rope ahead of the foot brace so you don't step on it all the time. It is a good anchor system in that you can pull up with your legs...like we are taught to lift!
A good example to it's usefulness is when you want to drop the anchor above a deep pool for backbouncing but are afraid to take your hands off the oars.
I use a Bo's anchor system. He is in Albany OR and you can reach him at 1-541-928-8541. Ask him some questions!

#137722 - 01/28/02 12:42 PM Re: Floor or side anchor systems
QwikSticks Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Brier, WA
I can't wait to see this tip up. I have a side mount already but want to figure out how to change out my pulleys. Right now i have to greese them every other trip or they are very very noisy. my only problem is the pulleys are welded to the side and the pins holding the pulley looks like they may have to be drilled out to change them has anyone done a converion like this before. Bob's system looks like he started from scratch.

#137723 - 01/28/02 12:57 PM Re: Floor or side anchor systems
plug puller Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: At FL410
thanks for the feedback guy. I am already running a 3/8 inch rope. $250 is kinda high for me. I only paid $1200 for my boat and trailer. I am going to expiriment with different rollers and I am going to look for a cheap floor mount. If any one is selling them I am interested. I am tired of turning around so many times my back is killing me everytime I get off the river. Thanks guys.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (Krijack), 200 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 27837
Dan S. 16958
Sol Duc 15727
The Moderator 13941
Salmo g. 13394
eyeFISH 12606
STRIKE ZONE 11969
Dogfish 10878
ParaLeaks 10363
Jerry Garcia 9013
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63787 Topics
645462 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |