LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#138318 - 01/30/02 10:07 PM Allstar or Rainshadow Rod For Drift Fishing?
Chrome454 Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Drifting Down The Braids Of Sw...
Iv'e been using a lami model 1000 medium heavy rod for drifting for 6 years now and need to upgrade to a more sensitive rod. Loomis is out of the question I know they make great rods but they are overpriced and there warrenty doesen't sound that great for how much dough you spend. Iv'e heard nothing but great things about rainshadow blanks and have heard a little about allstar. So I guess it boils down to having TH make me a rod from a rainshadow blank or checking out the allstar rods at the closest retailer. Any opinions or comments on this would be great.
Thanks

#138319 - 01/30/02 10:20 PM Re: Allstar or Rainshadow Rod For Drift Fishing?
banki Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Montesano, WA
I got a Th1025c, rainshadow blank, for my dad for christmas and I did a little field sampling with it when he was at work and I have to say I loved it. Feel was good and has enough back bone to control the fish. Also it casted pretty sweet with my abu 5500 on it. Also putting fish on the bank with it was pretty convincing too. I have never tried an Allstar so I can't comment on those but I think I'm going to pick one up sooner or later when I get back from school, because right now I'm a poor college kid who can't afford anything right now frown But I have no complaints with the Rainshadow pretty dang nice rod, plus a lifetime warranty.

#138320 - 01/30/02 11:54 PM Re: Allstar or Rainshadow Rod For Drift Fishing?
rc Offline
Parr

Loc: Olympia, WA
Ed

My understanding is that the Rainshadow blanks are a more sensitive graphite than the All Star rods. I had a 9' medium weight steelhead rod built from a Rainshadow blank for drift fishing and I love it. It's much more sensitive than the Lami rod I had been using. I'm sure that TH builds a great rod but I went local with Little Skookum Custom Rods out of Shelton. I hope this helps.

Ron

#138321 - 01/31/02 12:00 AM Re: Allstar or Rainshadow Rod For Drift Fishing?
superfly Offline
The Renegade White Man

Loc: The Coast or the Keys !!!
The rainshadow blanks are second to none!!!!
And the allstars are a great value for a finished rod!!!
Peace Superfly

360-888-7772

Stay Tuned for upcoming Hunts & Fishing info...........

New website & Channel Dropping soon !

Stay tuned for Turkey, Bear & Deer Hunts Along with Guided Sport Fishing.

Book Release Prior to Christmas 2021

#138322 - 01/31/02 12:52 AM Re: Allstar or Rainshadow Rod For Drift Fishing?
fishhead5 Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Shelton
RC
John does a good job doesen't he.

Fishhead5

It is not illegal to deplete a fishery by management.

They need to limit Democrats to two terms, one in office, and one in prison.

#138323 - 01/31/02 04:09 AM Re: Allstar or Rainshadow Rod For Drift Fishing?
Anonymous
Unregistered

rc, you are right about the TH Custom Rods - they make a great custom rod with excellant workmanship. You can choose any brand of blank you want. The All Star rods are a great value. I have both kinds of blanks and have no complaints at all. Fish on!

#138324 - 01/31/02 04:41 AM Re: Allstar or Rainshadow Rod For Drift Fishing?
fishnjunkie Offline
Fry

Loc: SEATTLE
I am very interested in the All Star Rods, where can a guy go about locating some. How much would it cost to buy a rainshadow blank and have it made into a basic 8.6ft med fast steely rod with say fuji guides and basic wraps??? Who, and Where, and how long, of a turnaround on the rod? Thanks for any advice.....

#138325 - 01/31/02 09:22 AM Re: Allstar or Rainshadow Rod For Drift Fishing?
Bob D Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Port Orchard Wa Kitsap
I always blame the big Steelhead we let go on the Rain!

Bob D

#138326 - 01/31/02 11:30 AM Re: Allstar or Rainshadow Rod For Drift Fishing?
Beezer Offline
Spawner

Loc: Monroe WA
You can also call Greg's Custom Rods (425-335-1391)in Lake Stevens. He carries rainshadow blanks and can build you anything you want.

Beezer

#138327 - 01/31/02 12:28 PM Re: Allstar or Rainshadow Rod For Drift Fishing?
rc Offline
Parr

Loc: Olympia, WA
Fishhead

Yes, John does a good job. After his building for me both a steelhead and a salmon rod from Rainshadow blanks I had him build a salmon rod for a friend as a Christmas gift. I couldn't be more pleased. Great workmanship, and his guarantee is solid.

Fishnjunkie

I haven't fished an All Star rod, although I saw them and handled one. It's been awhile, so don't quote me on this, but I believe it was at Sunbird's in Chehalis. I did a little research and apparently the Rainshadow blank is a superior graphite to the blank used in the AllStar rods. Superfly seems to agree. So I went with Rainshadow and am delighted. My .02.

To answer your question 'who & where', I can recommend John at Little Skookum Custom Rods in Shelton. You can contact him at lscustomrods@hotmail.com. He can answer 'how much' and 'how long' for you. Good luck.

Ron

#138328 - 01/31/02 04:32 PM Re: Allstar or Rainshadow Rod For Drift Fishing?
TW Offline
Fry

Loc: WA State
Greg's Custom Rods in Lake Stevens also teaches a class if you want to try and build one yourself. I did that a few years ago and it was fun. I couldn't make it during the regular class hours, so he let me come in and helped me during the day. Just an idea.
Tom

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
mtpar, philpac33, SpringerBouy, TinMan95
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
3 registered (Carcassman, DrifterWA, 1 invisible), 333 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13524
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63780 Topics
645389 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |