THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#138467 - 01/31/02 10:33 PM Re: Why dont women fish?
cowlitzfisherman Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Toledo, Washington
PinkwormLover

One reason why women don't fish as much as men do is because, we men, are pretty dam crude sometimes! Example; men don't usually watch other men when they have to relieve themselves (RT you say out of this!) It's a simple biological function (RT, leave it alone!) But if a women is in the field, we usually watch them very, very, closely (well, let just say RT doesn't miss too much) (jk). It's our rotten male nature as males to see everything!.

Women have been raised different then men in this matter, and that's probably good. When I was guiding, it was always very important to have an area where women would go to do their biological functions, in private. Many men do not understand that most women need to be private in this function. Other then that, most women can, and are great fishermen. If we, as males can understand there inborn needs for some simple privacy, we can enjoy them as great fishing partners (RT, you be good now). So when we see the ladies head into the woods, let's let them have a few minutes of privacy. It will be well worth it. Fishing really isn't just a "guy's thing" It's a thing that we all can enjoy, if we just use common sense and give the ladies a little bit more room when they need it!

Cowlitzfisherman

Is the taste of the bait worth the sting of the hook????

#138468 - 01/31/02 10:35 PM Re: Why dont women fish?
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
My wife and I had our first date canoeing on the black river, and we had many dates in the out-of doors. She even went fishing with me a number of times. Now she just chooses to stay home while I take the boys out. It isn't for lack of trying, I ask her all the time.

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#138469 - 01/31/02 10:38 PM Re: Why dont women fish?
Chuckn'Duck Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: West of Eden
aahhh...better just delete this response if I know whats good for me....

#138470 - 01/31/02 11:00 PM Re: Why dont women fish?
Hoochie Offline
Fry

Loc: Hobart
Mrs. Hoochie and I had our first date at Bouy 10 many years ago and I've been fishing and sleeping with mt best friend ever since. Doesn' get any better than that!

Aunty M is right-- if he won't take you, find someone who will.

THEN, find out if it really IS a guy thing he's doing.

#138471 - 01/31/02 11:06 PM Re: Why dont women fish?
Dave Jackson Offline
Spawner

Loc: Milwaukie, OR
Quote:
Originally posted by Hey Yall Watch This:
And for God's sake, fishing is supposed to be FUN !!! Start them out at places where you know fish in numbers will be nothing hard to come by, like shad fishing, [b]smelt dipping, trout fishing, etc.[/b]
"Honey, you need to get a little bit further out in the river to get the good fish. Good thing ya got a flat chest so your waders go up higher, huh?

"Whoa, careful there! Ya accidentally got that net caught over my head. Hang on while I take it..."*splash* *blub blub blub*
Get Bent Tackle wh&#333;re. Just added spinner section, where you can special order to your hearts content!

#138472 - 02/01/02 01:47 AM Re: Why dont women fish?
papafsh Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Everett, WA.
I've been taking my 14 year old Grandaughter this year for the first time on rivers to get her into that first steelhead, she hasn't hit one yet but we'll keep trying until she does.

Have taught her about spinners, casting , reading water and where fish hold, just started her with float and jigs on our last trip.

I think the one big draw back, for gals, is the call of nature out in the woods, she always "holds it" no-matter how long we are out there.

You should hear her friends asking about the trips we take, what a crack-up! "you actually get into the water?" "You wear those ugly waders?" "Isn't it way too cold?" stuff like that. She always says " I love going with my Papa, the sights, sounds and smells of the river, makes me forget all the crap I have to deal with everyday" Yep! she's going to be a real steelheader for sure! I can't wait for her to get that first "fish on!" She's already caught a few salmon and loved every bit of it. Not to long ago she asked me if I would take her deer hunting! you can bet I will!
smile

#138473 - 02/01/02 02:30 AM Re: Why dont women fish?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey Cowfish, I've taken a lot of ladies fishing. Especially the years I guided full time. Never once did I get out the binos and glass them to watch 'em pee. rolleyes It was always several times - never just once. laugh ... jk. I don't get off watching women pee in the woods. Now those voyeur cams are pretty cool though. ... Not!

#138474 - 02/01/02 02:50 AM Re: Why dont women fish?
UltimateFeashKacher Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: WA
In general it goes back to the cave days and the natural instincts. Men were food gatherer and women were nurturer.

#138475 - 02/01/02 11:32 AM Re: Why dont women fish?
Jellyhead Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: St. Helens, OR
I'll have to agree w/hey yall on this one. My girlfriend likes to fish, She doesn't love to fish, nor does she have the desire to go by herself. But we have fun fishing. She is pretty good at it.

I started her out on little hatchery trout. She caught fish an had fun. She grew up in a house where nobody fished, so she had never been exposed to it. One thing I did was make sure she always had better gear than I did. It's funny, she notices things on the river that I'd never relize, It gives me a little differnet perspective. I really enjoy our experiances outdoors.

Now, three years later, she's catching steelhead, killing elk, and got her first turkey. I wouldn't trade any of those experiances for the world. I think too many women have been forced outdoors, that's why they don't go. Just let them make up there own minds.

Aaron

#138476 - 02/01/02 04:14 PM Re: Why dont women fish?
brshooter Offline
Alevin

Loc: Aloha, OR
My wife loves to fish. The bigger the fish, the better. Prior to last year, we primarily just fished trout on the Deschutes or at some of the lakes. My wife is disabled and has a difficult time finding a area where she can fish from the bank. She MADE me buy a 19' North River and take her out at least 4 or more trips a month. Her first year of salmon/steelhead fishing, she filled her tag between August and the end of the year. We won't talk about how many I caught. mad Let's just say, I had a few spots left. This year is starting out the same way. She has ten winter steelhead to my one. I guess some of us were put on this earth to drive the boat, net fish, and clean fish. I can live with this. I don't have to try to figure out a way to go fishing. She always asks "Were are we fishing this weekend?"
Besides, how many of you get to sleep with your fishing partner? laugh

#138477 - 02/01/02 06:38 PM Re: Why dont women fish?
cowlitzfisherman Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Toledo, Washington
brshooter

Way to go!!!

May you both live long and prosper!! Take the lady when ever you can, It doesn't get much better then what you guys have.

Cowlitzfisherman

It the taste of the bait worth the sting of the hook, in this case, you bet it is! laugh laugh laugh

#138478 - 02/01/02 10:03 PM Re: Why dont women fish?
tilla Offline
Parr

Loc: Portland
You put Mrs. Tilla in a boat with a romance novel and a bag of Cheetos, watch out. eek What's really scary is that everyone in the boat will watch her rod and not their own 'cause that is where all the actions at! She just sits there readin' that darn book and ends up spankin' us every trip rolleyes She holds most the fishing records too. rolleyes Oh, and don't touch her bait, she has her "special way". But one thing is pretty cool. She cures the eggs at our house. It falls under kitchen type responsibilities, the eggs work and I don't question her about her secrets. laugh

#138479 - 02/01/02 10:56 PM Re: Why dont women fish?
Ter Offline
Alevin

Loc: Snohomish, WA
Well I like to fish too. Took me several months to convince my best friend that I was serious and tough enough to go out with him. Now, I go whenever I can get the chance with or without him. I always begged my dad and my brother to take me with them and they never would.. (okay once my dad took me on a float in the canoe on the Skookumchuck and we only made it to the second bridge from the dam and didn't catch a darn thing), now both my dad and brother are jealous because I go more than they do and to better places. Just got my first steelhead on Christmas and my buddy was there with me. He was almost more excited than I was. He's been teaching me for two years now. A lot of times he ditches me to go with his guy friends but I don't get uptight about it, I know he'll take me the next time, and almost always to a good spot! ;-)

#138480 - 02/02/02 01:04 AM Re: Why dont women fish?
Fish Jesus Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tacoma
Why don't more women fish? I always enjoy catching a glimps a nicely filled set of neoprenes eek however the sight is far to uncommon!

FJ...out.

#138481 - 02/02/02 01:40 AM Re: Why dont women fish?
spawnout Offline
Spawner

Loc: Satsop
I am blessed with a household of women, well, a wife and daughter anyway. Wife's first love is horses, but she fishes with me - we took the boat on our honeymoon as we couldn't take horses into Canada without quarantining them first. I guess what happened is I made the mistake of taking the wife, and then the daughter, fishing when it was good, and they got used to it being that way - and I mean like any more that 5 minutes between bites and let's go home. Neither can understand why I bother fishing all day when I'm not catching much. So yes, they fish with me when it's good, and don't when it's not (or when it's nasty weather or rough water, etc.). This works fine - they both badly outfish me anyway and when the fishing is good then our combined take home pay is enourmous. And I do all the gear, all the bait, process all the fish, and take care of the boat. They, however, cook, feed me, and clean up afterwards. Works for me, like I said, I'm blessed!

#138482 - 02/03/02 02:51 PM Re: Why dont women fish?
Diana Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Port Angeles, WA
I threw a temper tantrum at age 4 when grandpa was going to take my 6 year old brother down to the creek to teach him to trout fish. Grandpa was showing him how to read water, ie behind rocks, in seams....I just went downstream and cast under the overhanging ledge under the bridge. "Fish on!". That was 39 years ago.
I got my drivers license and used to head up the Mowich Lake road and fish the little creeks there alone.
And then I got a job and bought a driftboat at 21 years old....

You're either born with it, or you're taught it.
My suggestions - go by yourself. Fishing is not neccesarily a team sport. Aaaannnndddd....you'll meet a whole bunch of men who would just looooove to take you fishing in the future. That fact alone should change the mind of any man that is leaving you at home. He'll soon realize that if he wants to keep you around, he'll have to 'keep you around'.

For those of you that are trying to convince a female to fish with you....number one issue - get her into good clothing that looks decent and will keep her warm. That might mean some big bucks for mountaineering clothing, Helly Hanson, microfleece and Goretex, but I guarentee that chances increase tenfold that she'll go again if she knows she'll be warm and dry.

And spring for a guide trip. She'll get into fish, stay warm and dry and you can pour on the charm uninterrupted by reading water and rigging up. Treat her like you're THRILLED that she's there, not like she's a boat anchor. And big deal if she cracks one off. Stop for a burger on the way home....she didn't want to cook fish anyway!

I have no suggestions on the bathroom thing. I feel that if some guy gets his giggles by watching a middle-aged woman pee in the woods, he's got issues that preclude him from being my buddy anyway. Bring a bottle of wine for your woman....maybe she'll just quit caring about it. laugh

Just my $2

diana

#138483 - 02/04/02 12:24 AM Re: Why dont women fish?
desertdrifter Offline
Smolt

Loc: richland
see post on deer fishing.no further comments.

#138484 - 02/04/02 02:53 AM Re: Why dont women fish?
Reel Reefer Offline
Egg

Loc: NW coastal waters, bays, and s...
Ya know Diana, those are some darn good ideas. Think I'll try a few. Thanks.

#138485 - 02/04/02 10:27 AM Re: Why dont women fish?
Steelheader69 Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tacoma WA
Before I do my spil, I will add this. First off, because a person/woman likes to fish, camp, and othermisc. ouudoor stuff before you get maried, doesn'tmean they tTRULY like it. I know. My exwife (my I state again EX) "loved" to fishh and go hiking/camping. She went on a few fishing trips, a couuple caamping trips, and no hiking trtips. She'd always saay "'let me knnow whe you're goin". But it would always end up that she had plans with "'family". But she seemed to have fun when she wennt. SEEMED was the thing. Soon as I put th douuble band oon th haand she hated steelhead/salmon fishing. Too boring and wasn't like trout fishing for stocked trout. Hhated going camping, hated peeeing outside and waking up iin tents. So on and so on. Worse 7 years of my llife. I had to sneak in trip after trip. Then I'd go on my yearly week long fishingtrip wit my Dad and wuold pay for it for amonth aafterwards. Mind you, I always encouraged her to go, bought heer DAMNED nice gear, and even bought her nicer gear then me. No luck. Hell, even installed a heater system in my old DB I used to have and shestil wouldn't go.

Lukily now, I have a girlfriend who loves to fish. I get the evil eye if I plan a trip and donn't invite hher (trust mme, I don't plan one without heer or ask first if it's ok to do aboys only trip). Especiialy some rivers, if i was o float the Hoh without her, sh'd shoot my butt. She has good equiptment (alot nicer gear then I had at hhe age) and I taught her how to do her own rigs, tie he own fliis/jigs, and such.

Hhey Ppink, make you a deal. Next time I go on a trip with my girlfriend, you're more then welcome to come along....WITHOUT your hubby. Make him stay home laugh . I have a boatt that will fish 4, so I have the room. Just an offer.

Northwest River Fisherman

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Al Gore, czer, Robb92, wallyw
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1155 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13525
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645406 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |