Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#138486 - 01/31/02 06:02 PM Some info to share on line tests
RiverMan Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: oregon
I ordered a copy of "Sport Fishing" magazine containing the "test" of 85 brands of fishing line. Below are some of the highlights of the test for those interested.

The test was done on 20# lines, inlcudes the ranking of both popular monos and braids and appears to be fair and scientific in content. The lines were ranked based on several parameters including line diameter, tension rating (while wet), tensile uniformity, abrasion uniformity (uniformity is a measurement of consistency from once section of the line to another), and mean cycles to break. I won't get into the statistics but will mention that each line was tested many times to insure an accurate average. Abrasion was tested by pulling each piece of line up and down over a 150-grit steel cyclinder. A counter tracked the number of cycles until the line broke.

Below are a few of the results with the top scorers included for both mono and braids. They ranked Stren Original top for mono but this is largely because of its high abrasion score (see table below). Close behind in second and third places were Rapala Tough and Sufix Tritanium Plus. Western Filament's Tuf-line (not tuff-line plus) was the top for the Braids, Mason Tiger Braid second, and Fireline and Power pro taking 4th and 5th places respectively. I did not include the raw data for Fireline as there was a typo in the data. Fluorocarbons scored very poorly because of extremly low resistance to abrasion!

If someone is curious about a specific line let me know here or send me an email, will be glad to provide the info. Much of the info was expected but certainly there are some major surprises as well. Sorry for any typos. RM

Manufact/ Line/ Mean Break/ Cyles to Break

(monos)
Stren/ Orig. 20.9/ 1295
Stren/ Supr. Tuff 19.6/ 273
Sufix/ Tritan. Plus 30.6/ 791
Rapala/ Tough 31.2/ 824
Trilene/ Big Game 29/ 353
Ande/ Green 22/ 232
Maxima/ Perfexion 21.3/ 94
Seaguar/ Fluoro. 22.1/ 25

(braids)
W. Fila./ Tuf-line 29/ 781
W. Fila./ Tuflineplus 17.6/ 36
PowerPro/ PwrPro 27.1/ 124
FINS/ PRT Braid 37.6/ 119
PureFish/ Spiderline 28.7/ 137

#138487 - 01/31/02 06:50 PM Re: Some info to share on line tests
fish4steel Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: yelm, wa
Interesting information, thanks for sharing it with all of us. I don't even see Trilene XT rated (which is what I always use frown )

#138488 - 01/31/02 07:02 PM Re: Some info to share on line tests
ROCKFISH Offline
Spawner

Loc: manchester,Wa
looks like I'm using the wrong line

#138489 - 01/31/02 07:08 PM Re: Some info to share on line tests
Anonymous
Unregistered

One important measurement is missing from the above stats - line dimeter. They were all 20 lb. listed ratings on their boxes. But they are not all in the same line class. For example, 2 that were not included in the above, Maxima Chameleon/UG and Trilene XT have significantly larger diameters per listed rating than many other lines. Their 10 lb. leader and main line is actually 12 lb. line by industry diameter averages. Generally the thinner the line diameter the better it will cast and handle, the better it will present bait and lures movement wise, the less fish will see it, the less effect the current will have on sensativity, the less line belly drag will occur, the deeper plugs will dive per amount of line put out, and the less weight needed to get your bait or lure down in currents. A much more revealing test would be on same (or very close) diameters of all these new and good older lines. That is where the superbraids really shine for mainline use. For leaders, check out the listed line diameters as well as the listed test ratings.

#138490 - 01/31/02 08:17 PM Re: Some info to share on line tests
haverodwillfish Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Fort Lewis, WA
Fish4steel,
Shouldn't you be at the hospital yelling at soldiers or something? Looks like your home pretty early...ha ha. Never did get the pic of your little one with the fish. Justin

-George Orwell

#138491 - 01/31/02 10:06 PM Re: Some info to share on line tests
ONTHESAUK Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Mount Vernon, WA
confused How do the record books deal with rated vs. actual breaking strenght? i.e. largest fish on a particular line strength?

#138492 - 01/31/02 11:32 PM Re: Some info to share on line tests
Dr Pepper Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Sequim, Washington
Did they test Maxima UG or Chameleon? I see Perfexion was up there and everyone thinks that sucks so I bet Chameleon and UG would be at the top.

~ Dr Pepper

http://www.steelheader.net

#138493 - 01/31/02 11:57 PM Re: Some info to share on line tests
RiverMan Offline
Returning Adult

The data did include line diameter as part of the test but I could not include all of the values because of the limited space available for posting. I will tell you that nearly all of the monos were between .016 and .018 inches, of course the braids were thinner. I first put together a table showing all values in Excel and Word but this format would not let me paste either of them. Yes line diameter is a factor for some but certainly others are interested only in which line is "toughest". Here are some other scores requested above for mean wet breaking poundage and cycles to break:

Berkley Trilene XT: 28/687
Maxima Chameleon: 21.5/421

RM ><>

#138494 - 02/01/02 12:01 AM Re: Some info to share on line tests
rc Offline
Parr

Loc: Olympia, WA
Doc

They didn't test Maxima UG, go figure. Maxima Chameleon ranked 16 out of 73. Maxima Perfexion ranked 46th.

Ron

#138495 - 02/01/02 11:12 AM Re: Some info to share on line tests
nwsteel Offline
Eyed Egg

Loc: Yakima
Hey riverman,
Just curious, what was the mean break and cycles to break for Maxima chameleon and P-line. I was thinking of trying the P-line, anyone here ever fish Pline.

Thanks

#138496 - 02/01/02 12:34 PM Re: Some info to share on line tests
stever in everett Offline
Spawner

Loc: Everett, WA USA
Saw this same test in a East coast salt water fishing magazine a few years back and the Sulfix Tritanium was the hands down winner. It also had the smallest diameter for pound rating. One note to add is that it is a copolymer line and does best when tied with the correct knots. I have several spools of it and it was a lot cheaper than Maxima or even Trilene but I had to contact the factory to get it. No West coast distributor at that time. They did cary it in Cabelas or Bass Pro but only in the clear not the green.

#138497 - 02/01/02 01:35 PM Re: Some info to share on line tests
RiverMan Offline
Returning Adult

Stever,

It's interesting that you say that about the sulfix. I think this test essentially said the same thing. The Stren Original would certainly be a good choice for those concerned with abrasion. I bought some Rapala Tough last night from a clearance table at Wal-Mart, will be interesting to see how it turns out.

RM

#138498 - 02/01/02 03:39 PM Re: Some info to share on line tests
cooter Offline
Parr

Loc: Woodland Washington
I too saw this test a while back. I switched my drift rod to Original Stren and fished with it for a while. Pros and Cons to this line
1. It is ultra limp and casts great.
2. I hate the color, it has that neon look about it and I'm always concerned about the fish being able to see it.
3. I know they say it is highly abrasion resistant, but it seems incredibly soft to me. A "soft" line isn't what I would associate with abrasion resistance.

I fished it for a while but now I have gone back to Trilene Big Game and Trilene XT w/ Berkely Vanish for leaders.

#138499 - 02/01/02 10:11 PM Re: Some info to share on line tests
tilla Offline
Parr

Loc: Portland
Mike Sexton at Thorbuilt boats in Toledo can get Sufix line. I got some Superior 10 lb 2900 yds !!! for about $24... laugh

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Skate
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1406 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |