LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#139733 - 02/07/02 07:27 PM Portland Outdoor Show - 2 New Jig types ! - 1 New Combo Boat
Anonymous
Unregistered

I went to the opening day of the show yesterday and it is bigger than ever. I made myself leave the credit card at home and took only moderate cash. Turns out I'm glad I did bring some money.

I found a couple very productive looking new jig types. The first one is steelhead jigs by John Williams of Portland (Ph. 503-771-1200 or e-mail rainbowsendflies@juno.com ) and Alaska. He stays in Portland during the winter and ties jigs and flies; and the rest of the year he runs the Rainbow's End Fly Shop and Lodge up in Kodiak,AK. In addition to some very innovative egg fly patterns, John has come up with a unique jig. ...

... It's tied on the usual size jig heads and hooks, but with unique materials. Instead of plastic bead bodies he uses semi-transparent pink rubber eggs. And instead of feathers he has found a unique synthethic feathered yarn that is more durable, accepts scent oils well, and still retains good action. He adds krystalflash to various color combos of this stuff. They look killer. I bought several with the trans cerise pink rubber dual egg body with the pink and white syn. feathered yarn with a little krystal flash mixed into the pink and white. In addition to the common pink or black heads, he has metalic colored heads in red or green that look good. Fish on! He has a guide's discount program that make it a real value. Glad I stumbled across their booth! (Not litterally wink ). The other one ...

... is a bass fishing jig rig available at Bob's Sporting Goods booth. If you buy one you get a free pack of pink curly tailed grub body worms to use on them from the Rappala booth; across and up the isle a bit. This 'bass' jig that will be deadly on steelhead has a chrome bead head (in various weights) followed right behind it with an inline tiny size 1 or 0 silver Mepp spinner blade and extra long hook to thread pink rubber worms or curly tailed grubs onto (and many other rubber fishy looking things). They are thin wired hooks, but capable of landing steelhead. I talked to the reps and they are going to bring out a heavier wire version because of the growing popularity of rubber things on jigheads for steelhead in the NW region and B.C. They have a demo tank with current showing the action of various lures, including this one. It looks irresistable! Fished out and downstream of you this rig will have both a tiny flashing spinner blade and jiggling rubber tail as you let your float go down river under some tension a little slower than the current. I think the 1/4 oz. version will work real well backtrolled 50" behind the smaller Jet Planer diver. It should also work great casted and twitch retreived in the right places (without a float). More fish on!

Another interesting item was the best yet driftboat/jetsled compromise boat. It's in the Rogue boats section. It's called the Rogue 'Stealth', in 16' and 18' versions. It has a tunnel hull that enables shallower motor running; getting 3 average or 2 big guys up on plane and to 17 mph up river. Then it rows fairly close to a regular drift boat going downstream. For those that don't have room for both boats, this one is finally worth a good look at.

There are so many new boats and so much shinny new fishing tackle, be prepared to drool and part with your money! smile Drop by the All Star rod booth near the end of the casting pond and say hi to our Superfly Joe.

RT

#139734 - 02/07/02 07:55 PM Re: Portland Outdoor Show - 2 New Jig types ! - 1 New Combo Boat
OneLastCast Offline
Eyed Egg

Loc: Nehalem,Or
Nice report RT

I have been using John Williams jigs and flys off and on for the last two years and the have been great. The egg sack fly with a little scent is great in those low water conditions.
I will be interested to see those new jigs you've described.

OneLastCast

#139735 - 02/07/02 11:01 PM Re: Portland Outdoor Show - 2 New Jig types ! - 1 New Combo Boat
StorminN Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Blyn, WA
O.K. RT, where's the pictures?

-N.

#139736 - 02/08/02 03:34 AM Re: Portland Outdoor Show - 2 New Jig types ! - 1 New Combo Boat
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks OLC. Anyone that floats the challenging NF section down from the hatchery can see why jigs work so well in a lot of snaggy runs there. Fun river.

Hey Stormin', I didn't think to bring a cam to the show. Do they allow that? But you should hightail it on down to P-town from ... where the heck is Blyn? ... to see them for yourself! smile

#139737 - 02/08/02 09:42 AM Re: Portland Outdoor Show - 2 New Jig types ! - 1 New Combo Boat
Firedog Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: SW Washington
Was a pretty good show. I picked up a few new Kwikfish in some of the new colors, not that I needed more smile . I got a 6501 Ultra cast at Bobs for $70. Didnt need another reel that size either, have a garage full but couldnt pass on that price. Managed to only spend around $100 so fairly cheap day. I stopped and talked to Superfly about the allstars and rainshadows. I will be building a couple of those soon. Nice blanks.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
m_ray, Str8nr
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (steely slammer), 199 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |