Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#140220 - 02/11/02 12:08 PM Is it REALLY worth the $$$$$
Pmartin Offline
Spawner

Got a q to toss out for everyone.

I have been sitting on the fence trying to decide on what downriggers I want to buy or if I really even need them. A lot of my buds have been fishing around here for a good 30 years and can count on one hand how many times they have used DR's. Most of them say that moochin' is just as effective and don't waste your $$$. Then there are some that say that DR is the only way to go. They all have been very productve fisherman.

I am not lookin at spending a whole lot but just to get the middle of the road you are looking at a good $400 to $500, for all the needed hardware and accessories.

So, I thought I would toss it out here and get some opinions or general experiences you all have.. confused

Thanks smile

#140221 - 02/11/02 12:21 PM Re: Is it REALLY worth the $$$$$
baddawg Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Everett WA
mooching has its place as do downriggers. I use mine alot and sometimes its the only way you can get fish.

#140222 - 02/11/02 01:42 PM Re: Is it REALLY worth the $$$$$
Steeliegreg Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Port Angeles, WA
Agreed, every method has it's place. I love my DR when the need arises. I bought the Penn 600NW last year, I should buy the swivel bases too, but they have performed flawlessly, and have brought many, many fish to the boat. If on a budget, I would shop the classifieds on this site, or post a wanted ad, there is always a bargain, as I paid retail for mine $550 or so, I wish I would have shopped around. Good luck!

#140223 - 02/12/02 01:12 AM Re: Is it REALLY worth the $$$$$
StorminN Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Blyn, WA
Put it this way... how many commercial fishermen do you know that mootch? Those guys need to make a living, and short of just plain netting fish, what do they do?... they troll for them.

Trolling with downriggers is more effective than mootching because downriggers allow you to cover more water, and present your lures at exact depths. When you mark fish on your depthfinder, you can precisely target them with your downrigger depths. When you cover more water, you present your lures to more fish... it's that simple.

Don't be mstaken, though... it's an entirely different method of fishing. You won't be "setting the hook" like you do with mootching... and there are some very small pockets and places that mootching is the proven method, but overall, trolling catches many more fish.

I'd highly recommend Scotty downriggers. If you look at all the specs and talk to fishermen that use them year after year, you'll figure out that the Scottys have faster retrieve speeds, can lift heavier cannon balls, and use less power than all the other brands.

I just heard that Scotty is doing some sort of deal this year where they are giving away a free swivel base when you buy a new downrigger. This is great, because you really will want a swivel base if you don't get one when you buy your downrigger.

-N.

#140224 - 02/13/02 01:23 AM Re: Is it REALLY worth the $$$$$
spawnout Offline
Spawner

Loc: Satsop
While I only use my DRs for blackmouth in the saltchuck, and while I catch a lot more salmon in the spring on lead and fall on divers, I also use them for kokanee and lake trout, and sockeye when they will let us at 'em. They are really the only way to fish effectively for these last 3, and are by far the most effective way to catch blackmouth also.

I like Penns, real tough, smooth drag. I just use the hand-crank models. I also row at times when I troll with them and the presentation has to be slow, like for kokes and sockeye, so I don't mind a little exercise, but I will say that when I use my buddy's electrics it is real convenient to just hit the button when you have a fish on. I got mine on eBay for less than half the cost of new ones, and I see electrics there all the time, so I'd look there. I also mounted mine at a 45 degree angle up, so I don't have to hang over the side to retreive the booger ball, and this eliminates the need for swivel bases.

#140225 - 02/13/02 01:32 AM Re: Is it REALLY worth the $$$$$
ROCKFISH Offline
Spawner

Loc: manchester,Wa
can't beat downriggers in the summer and fall

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Bucktail, Richard E.
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 389 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645410 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |