THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#141161 - 02/19/02 02:40 PM Re: Something is very wrong on the Quileute System.
Anonymous
Unregistered

I still have no idea what you are saying and how it applys to the OP. You have twisted the **** out of this.

You havent shown me a shred of fact proveing wrong what I anitially said in the beginning. I did make some bold statements that I cant back up but i whant people to know that there is a problem as most people think the system is healthy just because the powers that be say so.

Its too late for the Cowlitz but it inst too late for the Quileute system. The Quileute system is still somewhat healthy for most of the runs. If you whanted to fix the Cowlitz it should have been started 25 years ago.

I never meant this to be a debate you are the one that started this. But now its done.

Oh but wait you still never showed me any fact other than Cowlitz fact wich really dosent prove anything about the OP.

#141162 - 02/19/02 02:50 PM Re: Something is very wrong on the Quileute System.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Cowlitzfisherman,

Why dont you ask Bob about that when he comes back im sure he will give you some answers.

If we had any truely healthy runs of either wild salmon or steelhead I wouldnt have a problem with bonking a few but the truth is that we dont. We have somewhat healthy runs but thats about it.

As far as people like you are concerned and WDFW are concerned I am worong. The OP has plenty of wild fish for all user groups. just as the Skagit, Snohomis, Columbia system and every other river once did. ONCE DID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#141163 - 02/19/02 06:50 PM Re: Something is very wrong on the Quileute System.
Neal M Offline
The Enemy

Loc: Bainbridge Island and Sappho, ...
Hey all,
I've been a reader of this board for years. I truly appreciate the service that Bob provides and the great stories and tips that come from all of you. I agree with Rich in that there are not as many fish around as there should be this time of year. I've still got high hopes that the bulk of the run is simply late.
Cowlitz, I only have one comment on the points you have made above. While on a trip down the cowlitz you release one native steelhead and keep twice as many. Pretty good day of fishing (if you are not into C&R).... By my math you caught 3 fish, and kept twice as many as you released. 2/3 of the time you kept fish! I think Rich may be better at math than you give him credit.
regards,
Neal smile

#141164 - 02/19/02 08:57 PM Re: Something is very wrong on the Quileute System.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Cowlitzfisherman,

Im sorry this turned out to be what it did. I have read alot of good things you have written in the past and think you care alot about the fish.

The thing I dont understand is why you are trying to prove me wrong about the Quileute system. It is apparent that there is a problem right now. It is also apparent that CnK and the current hatchery practices arnt helping the issues that this river has but thats not the point. All I was saying is that something is wrong.

If you can tell me how CnK and current hatchery practices will enhance the Quileute river system's wild steelhead im all ears. I just dont see how either of these things does the system any good. The OPGA Snider creek program seems like it has had some positive impact but none of the proir have.

There are many vairiables that have made things the way they are. Hatcherys and CnK are only parts of the problem but they have made an impact.

#141165 - 02/19/02 09:40 PM Re: Something is very wrong on the Quileute System.
cowlitzfisherman Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Toledo, Washington
Rich,
I guess we both got a little carried away in our postings. You have the same love for your rivers as I do for the Cowlitz and I guess that is not a bad thing to have. Hope you are wrong about your fish not coming back. For what ever it is worth, I am seeing the same thing on a small river that is usually just full of wild fish right now down here. Something is going on, and I too hope that they are just running late this year. Sorry that I get so into it sometimes, but it's just is in my blood.

Neal M

What are you saying? I don't get it about the 3 fish thing!

Cowlitzfisherman

Is the taste of the bait worth the sting of the hook????

Is the taste of the bait worth the sting of the hook????

#141166 - 02/19/02 10:56 PM Re: Something is very wrong on the Quileute System.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Cowlitzfisherman,
It seems we both get a little emotional on these types of issues.

Just what we have showed is the reason why we as steelheaders cant get anything done and have no say in our fishery.

Yet we want the same things for our rivers we only argue amongst ourselves instead of working together to save our rivers.

We all as different user groups whant different things out of our fishery but there is one thing that we all want and that is more wild steelhead. We want healthy rivers that work they way god intended.

I am sorry if I offended anyone in one of the posts I made. Everyones opinion is important no matter If I agree or not. Only looking at things from one angle is narrow minded and if we just put up walls we will never come together and the fish will never come back.

#141167 - 02/20/02 12:47 AM Re: Something is very wrong on the Quileute System.
Double Haul Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Wherever I can swing for wild ...
Cowlitzfisherman, You really ought to read the WSC research paper "Biological and Economic Benefits of Wild Steelhead Release" when you have the opportunity. The paper provides factual information and data that is science based. It's available through the WSC website.

#141168 - 02/20/02 08:14 AM Re: Something is very wrong on the Quileute System.
ltlCLEO Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: brownsville wa.
Guys, I am Thrilled to see that end the way it did.That thread was going to be the straw that broke the camels back here. smile smile

#141169 - 02/20/02 11:39 AM Re: Something is very wrong on the Quileute System.
Bob D Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Port Orchard Wa Kitsap
There just late guys! Remember the Kings last Oct Rich! They were late and then Bam!!!! Here they came in numbers and size!!! Some of the biggest fish Ive ever caught! Lets just hope the gods are just waiting for the nets to come out and the fish to gain a couple more pounds! After this freshet we should know! As far as the Cow...Thats up to the hatchery gods. If it dies, which it has before, the state, I mean hatchery gods, will make it all better!

Bob D

#141170 - 02/20/02 12:11 PM Re: Something is very wrong on the Quileute System.
JK Offline
Spawner

Loc: KIrkland, Wa, USA
Rich G...Hella nice fish...When I grow up I wanna be just like u! Wooof to the tenth power!

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Skate
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
3 registered (20 Gage, steely slammer, wolverine), 1517 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |