Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#141477 - 02/19/02 12:45 PM Magellan 315/320 vs. Garmin GPS 76
Chuckn'Duck Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: West of Eden
I'm looking at buying a GPS for the boat to assist in running the lower Col. and out of Westport and Ilwaco (tired of the fog anxiety). I have a friend who has a Magellan 315 (brand new in box) that he said he has no use for since he sold his boat and I could have for 100 bucks (he's never used it and isn't familiar with its use or features). I see that the Magellan 320 can be picked up for $139 on the web and has some nav features built in that the 315 does not. Can the 315 store waypoints and routes that can be followed when finding your way through poorly marked areas?

I've read on former posts that Garmin is superior as far as user friendliness. The GPS 79 can be picked up for around $220 bucks...any opinions between the units? I'm mainly interested in the tracking features of the units for following in lousy visibility conditions and want a unit that has a easily readable screen and simple functions. Thanks

Dan

#141478 - 02/19/02 03:06 PM Re: Magellan 315/320 vs. Garmin GPS 76
Doug Kelly Offline
Spawner

Loc: Bothell WA
i have the map 76 got it for christmass still am amazed at all the things i keep finding that it can do, have never had a gps so figuring it out is taking a little time personely i love it, as for the megellan don't know any thing about it but have not heard much of anything good, just got back from mexico took it with me all i can say is amazing, just my 02. doug

#141479 - 02/19/02 05:01 PM Re: Magellan 315/320 vs. Garmin GPS 76
Sniggler Offline
Smolt

Loc: Olympia, WA
I love my GPS 76MAP... it's a lot better then the GPS III I use to have.. sure it's a little big. but hey.. it floats... what a great feature to have when your on the water. smile

#141480 - 02/20/02 01:50 AM Re: Magellan 315/320 vs. Garmin GPS 76
AkKings Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kelso Wa.
ChucknDuck, If all you want is a GPS to plot tracks and mark way points, the 315 will serve your purpose fine. If you can get that unit from you're buddy for 100 bucks you should take it.
Now some things you may want to consider, the 315 is just a data unit, you will not see a map nor can you download a map into it, you can download waypoints but thats all. If you are navigating from 1 waypoint to another on a data unit it will be in a straight line, they do not show islands or navigate you around them so you better know whats between point A and point B. With a map unit, they have built in world maps that show the major islands, plus they are downloadable, meaning you can download detailed maps that are just like looking at a NOAA chart.
You mentioned the Garmin 76 ($220) that also is just a data unit, if you're going to spend that much I would suggest for $29 more checking out the E-Trex Legend, this is a mapping unit and probably the least expensive, good, mapping unit you can buy. Then as Doug mentioned, the Garmin map76, this is my personal favorite and for $349 an awesome gps. Alot of cool features, built in tide/celestial tables, it floats, larger screen then most handhelds, and very user friendly.
I hope this helps you a little and if you have any ? let me know.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
backcast, Bad-Daddio, Drifter, FishinFredo, kmiller
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (steely slammer, 1 invisible), 234 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 27837
Dan S. 16958
Sol Duc 15727
The Moderator 13941
Salmo g. 13394
eyeFISH 12606
STRIKE ZONE 11969
Dogfish 10878
ParaLeaks 10363
Jerry Garcia 9013
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63785 Topics
645439 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |