THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#142218 - 02/23/02 08:42 PM Re: spooling up...
Spooled Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: tigard,oregon
I use Crystal Ivory on my baitcasters and have had zero problems with it. I used it for leader (10lb)on a landed 18.5 pound steelhead, not to mention many other steelhead.
I can't speak for it on a spinning reel, as I mainly use a spinning reel for float fishing and use Tuf-Line on it.
Everyone has their favorite equipment. I would recommend making your own evalution, rather than taking a single opinion as gospel. You might be suprised what you may like that someone else may dislike.

#142219 - 02/23/02 10:43 PM Re: spooling up...
trailrat77 Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: rowers seat
Jacob F, I too used Fireline for nearly a year. It has a small diameter. It is really strong. It does cast well. But experience has convinced me to go back to the U.G.. First off Fireline has zero stetch. I used to think that was a benifit, now I don't. I recently read an article in STS that expressed exactly what I found out the hard way this fall. I lost several really nice hooks that I probablly would have landed with the help of some stretchy mono. Second the Fireline quickly begins to fray on the first 30 yards that are always out of the reel. When it begins to get frayed I found that knot strenght is dramatically reduced. Keep these things in mind when using Fireline.
Ass far as using a blood knot to join new line to my reel, I will look into buying the U.G. in bulk, because I would hate to loose The Big One. But like a poster above said fly guys use them all the time. I have never had a fish take off 75yrds of line, but I would like to have one do so. That way I will find out for real if a blood knot is the way to go.

#142220 - 02/23/02 11:29 PM Re: spooling up...
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
I found the Crystal Ivory way too stiff for my liking on a spinning reel, even in 10#. I used it on a drift rod........I could go either way....cost is nice but it ain't no UG regardless of Maxima's claim. After all, if it WAS UG....wouldn't UG be inexpensive too?

I'm a line ho. I go through vast amounts of it. I've had experiences in the past that led me to decide that good quality, fresh line is a solid investment.

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#142221 - 02/23/02 11:39 PM Re: spooling up...
spawnout Offline
Spawner

Loc: Satsop
I replace my line 100 yards at a time, not 60 or 70, because my the time the line is worn out I've already cut or broken off 30 yards of it! And I blood knot it to the old mono. I also use the blood knot flyfishing, and I even use a blood knot to attach my leader to the mainline on small streams or rivers where snagging on wood is likely - saves losing swivels all the time. I tie a real good improved blood knot and have rarely had one break before the leader does - it's one of the best holding knots there is. And while I have on occasion had a big fish get me into the backing, I have never lost one because of knotting new line to old - always broke him off at the leader when he spooled me.

No one else seems to use this stuff but I really like Duratuff XT on my steelhead reel - takes a lot of abrasion and is real good at holding knots. But I use Power Pro on my salmon reels - make real good downrigger line and I can lose a couple ounces when mooching because of it's tiny diameter. Don't us it jigging unless you use at least 6 feet of real streatchy leader material, however, learned that the hard way frown

#142222 - 02/24/02 02:52 PM Re: spooling up...
Timber Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Stumpy Acres
First of all I buy my maxima in large spools. If I didnt I would spend big money on line...I replace my line after 8-10 hrs of use and yes I do blood knot mine and have never had a problem.I run my fingers down the line and check it out real well before I decide to cut it there...To me it doesnt matter how much you blood knot on when respooling just make sure all the shiaty line is gone...anything under 15 or 20 yards I dont bother blood knoting and replacing anything over that I do...

TM laugh

#142223 - 02/24/02 03:49 PM Re: spooling up...
FishinSinsation Offline
Spawner

Loc: kenmore, wa
i like to use gamakatsu for my line, i also use a blood knot with no problems.. 12 main (smoke) 10 leader (clear) i tried the maxima and found the Gamakatsu line to be stronger and last longer.

#142224 - 02/24/02 03:55 PM Re: spooling up...
Timber Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Stumpy Acres
FS- I beg to differ that gami line is stronger then maxima..I have tried gami line and came up with the oppisite conclusion. Maxima is WAY stronger and is very abbrasion resistant.Which means it last longer too...TM

#142225 - 02/24/02 03:59 PM Re: spooling up...
FishinSinsation Offline
Spawner

Loc: kenmore, wa
i bought some maxima and it was crap maybe it was a bad run of line.. had nicks all over the line broke really easy...

#142226 - 02/24/02 04:34 PM Re: spooling up...
chrome/22 Offline
Captain C/22 - Team Stay Up Right!

Loc: Hurricane Ridge , Wa.
I think Dan S. is right about Crystal Ivory on a spinning reel. Set-up my 9' spin rod for side drifting 12 lb. mainline a small lead dropper & 4' 10 lb. leader. As soon as I got any slack in the line the C.I. started springing off in big loops, glad I tested it before hitting the river. I'd like to stay with 12 lb. on the reel, any suggestions? How does the Izorline compare to ultragreen in 12 lb. on a spinning reel....anyone confused

#142227 - 02/24/02 07:50 PM Re: spooling up...
CRAVEN MOOREHEAD Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: TACOMA,WA
I can't believe nobody has mentioned the Berkely Big Game. I use that as my main line exclusively now. I think it is every bit as good as Maxima, I know some will disagree, but I am going on 4 years of using it with great results. I do like to add new line with the aid of a blood knot. I seldom get down to it, but when I do, I have the confidence that it will hold. Landed several big Silvers last fall and each one of them took me past the blood knot.

#142228 - 02/24/02 09:34 PM Re: spooling up...
Metalhead Mojo Offline
Spawner

Loc: Browns Point
ive used berkley XL and big game on my spinning reels, and maxima UG on my levelwinds for a long time...ive never had a problem with them.

#142229 - 02/24/02 09:38 PM Re: spooling up...
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
c-22,

UG in the 12# is going to give you fits too. It also has the tendency to jump off the reel whenever you have any slack line.

Ande 12# isn't nearly as strong as 12# Maxima, but it won't jump off the reel.

Stren and Berkley both make softer, limper lines that fish well off a spinning reel, but they aren't nearly as abrasion resistant as Max., so you have to feel your line for nicks all the time.

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#142230 - 02/24/02 09:47 PM Re: spooling up...
Chromeo Offline
Spawner

Loc: Kenmore, WA
dan s i agree that 12lb maxima ug jumps off of a spinning reel alot, also i like big game but i like the crystal ivory a little more and its only about $1 more and you also get more of it.
tyler

#142231 - 02/24/02 09:53 PM Re: spooling up...
kingfisherman Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Renton Wa
No I have not but I am sure I will find out next week when you fish the noch on saturday

#142232 - 02/24/02 10:50 PM Re: spooling up...
bank walker Offline
Spawner

Berkley Big Game is my top choice for levelwinds, or any main line. Max UG always jumps off the spool on my ambassaduer, but is fine for spinning setups. You cant beat izorline leaders...

Power Pro is also a great line for the float rod.
"I have a fair idea of what to expect from the river, and usually, because I fish it that way, the river gives me approximately what I expect of it. But sooner or later something always comes up to change the set of my ways..."
- Roderick Haig-Brown

#142233 - 02/25/02 12:29 PM Re: spooling up...
RRR Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: (Tacoma native),San Diego WA, ...
Used to use Fireline a lot until it "bit-down" into the spool and siezed up. Lost a nice King. Can't beat it for jigging for Kings/Blackmouth in the salt tho. Heard rumours of Fireline abrading guides (on fishin poes) requiring frequent replacement.

VERY Homesick in San Diego

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
landcruiserwilly, Tom Trune
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 274 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |