Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#142510 - 02/26/02 04:08 AM St. Croix Rods
Perfect Drift Offline
Smolt

Loc: Battle Ground, Washington
Anyone out there fish 'em? Like it? Was at the Portland sportsman show couple of weeks ago, and checked out their booth. They had a killer model, Avid series, that was equivalent to the Loomis STR1025C (Med-Hev, 8-17 lbs, etc.), but was 9' itstead of 8'6". Liked the extra length. Light, good recovery rate, loaded up properly, and so forth. For $180 and a lifetime warranty, seemed decent enough..

Anyone?

Thanks,
James laugh

Original Creator: Ultimate Egg Cure

#142511 - 02/26/02 10:07 AM Re: St. Croix Rods
chrome steelhead Offline
Egg

Hello. I'm from Wisconsin where they make St. Croix rods. I don't know if they are in tackle shops in your area, but in the Midwest they are very popular. Their new Avid Salmon & Steelhead rods are awsome I have the 13' float rod for my center pin, and the 9'6" bait caster for drift fishing. I have never had a problem with these rods. Also it is hard to beat the price. Hope this helps. :-)

#142512 - 02/26/02 10:47 AM Re: St. Croix Rods
Loco_Dingo Offline
Parr

Loc: Boise
I have a couple of them, one spinning and one casting. I like them though I have to say I'm much more particular about my fly rods than my spinning/casting rods. St Croix is a well respected beginner to middle of the road fly rod with a price to match.

#142513 - 02/26/02 11:19 AM Re: St. Croix Rods
chrome/22 Offline
Captain C/22 - Team Stay Up Right!

Loc: Hurricane Ridge , Wa.
PD, I looked at that same rod at the show, thier salesman knew his stuff too. Not to brag but I own and use a few G.Loomis IMX's and top of the line Lamiglas rods. Simply put, those Avid rods are very sweet!! If I find a spot in my line-up that needs upgrading I whould get one without a doubt. laugh laugh .......C/22

#142514 - 02/26/02 12:58 PM Re: St. Croix Rods
Jerry Garcia Offline

Loc: everett
I have found them to a very durable rod.

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

#142515 - 02/26/02 03:41 PM Re: St. Croix Rods
stever in everett Offline
Spawner

Loc: Everett, WA USA
Jerry knows what he is talking about, when he is squirl fishing he can bring down some large branches with a single jerk.

#142516 - 02/26/02 05:09 PM Re: St. Croix Rods
Chromeo Offline
Spawner

Loc: Kenmore, WA
ive got one and LOVE it!
tyler

#142517 - 02/26/02 07:48 PM Re: St. Croix Rods
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
Hey chrome steelhead,

Tell me a little about that 13' float rod. Thanks......

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#142518 - 02/26/02 11:17 PM Re: St. Croix Rods
trailrat77 Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: rowers seat
I ordered a TH1085c, 9ft, 5 power, moderate action, Fuji guide, Fuji seat and Rainshadow blank. I should recieve it Thursday or Friday. I'm going to fish it Sat. and Sun. so I'll be able to post a first hand review. I bought one without ever seeing one, just by reputation only. I know that may have been foolish but after all the good things I've heard about them I figured that I couldn't go wrong. Small local custom shop's attention to detail, blank quality between GL3 and IMX, lifetime warranty, and strong components, shipped to your door for $185, something to think about huh?

#142519 - 02/26/02 11:57 PM Re: St. Croix Rods
chrome steelhead Offline
Egg

Dan S., I have fished the Avid 13ft float rod since last winter and so far this spring. I love it, I don't know if you have ever fished with the original Wild River 13' but the Avid is fast action compared to the Wild Rivers moderate action. I have lost fewer fish with the faster action, because I can get the hook set much faster. My personal opinion, it is just as good as any 13' G loomis float rod. Their website is www.stcroixrods.com, they have all the specs for the rods on the site.

#142520 - 02/27/02 01:03 AM Re: St. Croix Rods
PhishPhreak Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: North Bend, WA
I have (had) 2 st croix rods. One is a 7' ultra light for trout and the other was a 5 wt fly rod which broke this fall at rocky ford (by trying to free the fly from a weed - hardly any pressure - snapped about a foot above the handle). This one did not have the lifetime warranty - and the best they'd do is give me a new rod (same model) at cost plus shipping. I'm still debating.

So far, I love the trout rod. Very sensitive, extremely light, good action.

-Chad

#142521 - 02/27/02 01:36 AM Re: St. Croix Rods
JIP Offline
Parr

Loc: CA
I tested the Legend Elite spinning rod ES66MF and that's one incredible rod.
They have this high tech process to process the rod blanks called IPC. This IPC tooling process is used in their Legend Elite series only(so far). Their Avid series is also good. It uses Alconite guides which I think is the second most durable and smooth guide there is, after SiC. But others might think differently.

I will soon test the Avid casting Crankbait series in 6'6" length. I will see how that one performs. After testing the Legend Elite, I hope
the Avid will not disappoint me. =)
I am sure St. Croix rods are really high quality.
They are extremely lightweight, durable, sensitive, and powerful!

Their fly rods? I don't know about those yet.

Have fun!

Jack Ip
TackleTour.com
jip@tackletour.com

#142522 - 02/27/02 08:37 AM Re: St. Croix Rods
Jerry Garcia Offline

Loc: everett
Stever, It's true about the squirrels, but I can't ever remember you ever turning down some of my fresh smoked extra spicey squirrel.

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

#142523 - 02/27/02 12:28 PM Re: St. Croix Rods
Old Man Offline
Spawner

Loc: Silver Star,Mt
Last year I bought a St Croix 7'6" spinning rod which I broke this winter fishing on the Pilchuck. I took it back to where I bought it(Teds) and they sent it in. It took a month but I finally got it back. Cost $7.50. Since then I traded it off for a 9' 4wt fly rod(St Croix). this one has the life time warranty. Against defects in workmanship or by accident. So I guess I better send it in.

I didn't break the pole on a fish.It broke while I was trying to break loose from some rocks on the other side of the river. laugh laugh

#142524 - 02/27/02 01:19 PM Re: St. Croix Rods
StorminN Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Blyn, WA
I built my fishing partner a rod on a St. Croix 8'6" blank this past Xmas, I forget the exact model number, it was an M86 or something, but it was supposed to be equivalent to a 1024C.

The St. Croixs are nice blanks, I like his rod better than my Loomis 1025 GL2 (different power, of course), but I think if I were to do it again, I'd buy a Rainshadow blank. I just picked up a couple of Rainshadow fly rod blanks (10ft 7wt IM7 and a 9ft 9wt IM6) They are _very_ nice blanks, and you can't beat the price.

Besides, I always like the fact that you can drive to the place if you ever have a real problem.

Keep it local.

-N.

#142525 - 02/27/02 08:22 PM Re: St. Croix Rods
fish_finder Offline
Parr

Loc: Olympia, Wa.
I've got a 11.5 ft. custom built noodle that holds 4-10 lb. and it's a great rod. My only complaint is that it's a little tip heavy, but it has alot of backbone and handles big fish very well. It's a great big water rod.

#142526 - 02/28/02 10:35 PM Re: St. Croix Rods
Perfect Drift Offline
Smolt

Loc: Battle Ground, Washington
Thanks guys. Looks like most have been more than satisfied with their St. Croix's...

Anyone out there think they're a bunch of s***? Let me know and state why, please. Thanks.

Probably will pick it up for the hell of it and compare it to my 1025 IMX, after all they are rated the same. Will let you know..

Thanks again,

James laugh

Original Creator: Ultimate Egg Cure

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Swifty27
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1181 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13525
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645406 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |