Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#142527 - 02/26/02 09:45 AM Even more rod questions
Net_Boy Offline
Smolt

Loc: Everett,WA,USA
1. What does the modulus number mean exactly? I know the higher the better, but what does the number rating delineate?
2. Also, what is the modulus rating for Loomis GL3 and Allstar's Elite series?
3. How do Rainshadow's steelhead blanks (43 million modulus) rate in comparison to these? Specifically, I'm thinking of a light line summer run rod, probably something like an 1141 in the Loomis. Opinions?
Thanks in advance!

#142528 - 02/26/02 11:05 AM Re: Even more rod questions
Loco_Dingo Offline
Parr

Loc: Boise
I would suggest you don't pick a rod by comparing numbers. The modulus of the graphite is just one number. There are many other factors that affect rod performance. Taper is as important if not more so than the material. Is the scrim fiberglass or graphite? What resin was used? How many layers of graphite was used? This all adds up to the way the rod feels and though most people would agree on what is a good rod and what is a broomstick, there will be disagreement on what is the 'best'.

#142529 - 02/26/02 11:26 AM Re: Even more rod questions
Fish Jesus Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tacoma
As far as the technical knowledge goes...I think Sparkeys going to be all over this one! eek

FJ...out

#142530 - 02/26/02 10:01 PM Re: Even more rod questions
Dances Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Clarkston Wa
I think it all comes down to personal likes.
I used to be all about loomis but after gettin my custom built All star rod I wouldnt go any other way. I think All Star is just as good if not better and you can get two rods for the price of one loomis. Well thats just my two penny's
Dances Out

Doug Richert
www.Hellscanyonsportfishing.com

#142531 - 02/27/02 02:48 PM Re: Even more rod questions
JR32 Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: shelton wa
dances with fish just curious where you got your rod built.

#142532 - 02/28/02 03:38 PM Re: Even more rod questions
StorminN Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Blyn, WA
Don't judge a rod by its modulus... it's all a marketing numbers game. I'm in the snowboard business, and ski & snowboard companies constantly play the same numbers game when it comes to base material... there is a lot more to it than just the modulus of the graphite.

Call Bob Batson at Rainshadow Rods, 360-681-2381, he's very knowledgeable about all this stuff, he's been in the rod business for 30yrs, working with Pac Bay, Lamiglas and Loomis.

I don't know about the custom-built Allstars, but my friend bought a normal Allstar, and the components and the cork were of low quality... but I guess that's the difference between a $90 normal Allstar and a $150 custom-built Rainshadow.

By the way, I think the Rainshadow blanks are built at the Allstar factory in Texas, not sure if they are built using the same process, though... Bob could tell you.

-N.

#142533 - 03/01/02 12:17 AM Re: Even more rod questions
RPetzold Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Everett, Wa
O.-
I didnt see this thread 'till now...I would have acted on it sooner or answered your questions at the shop today.

Modulus refers to pounds per square inch as a coefficent and is rated at the scrim (the fibers that run at a right angle to the actual graphite and support the graphite). Because this rating is a coefficent, the higher the number the lighter the rod (in general).

GL3 is considered a 42 mill modulus and that is why TH describes the Rainshadow as good as a GL3 because they are roughly the same modulus. I am not sure of the modulus of a AllStar Elite but it isnt 42 mill. But like everyone said, modulus is not everything.

It comes down to tapers, quality of the graphite used which inturn effects the sensivity and the recovery rate of a rod.

The GL3 1141 is the same modulus as the 1141 Rainshadow yet I prefer the GL3 because it is slower and loads under the lightest leads-which I want in the 1141. The AllStar Elite on the other hand is mushy and becomes a dead blank under the load of just a little bit of lead.

People have come to believe that the Rainshadow 43 Mill Mod is the ultimate blank, well it isnt. Its an awesome blank for the price and that is why it has developed a following but it is not a GL3.

This summer Rainshadow is coming out with a 51 Mill Mod in their drift rods. This rod will actually have a higher rating then the IMX. Could this rod compare or even surpass the IMX as the ultimate blank?? It is tough to say but will all boil down to the tapers and the quality of the graphite that is used...for the price they are selling it at, I do not think it will. But for the price, I do believe it will be an incredible blank.

A comment about the AllStar/Rainshadow rumors floating around about where and on what mandrels and with what tapers they are produced with.

The Rainshadow's are produced in the AllStar factory but with differnt quality of graphites and on differnt mandrels (which equates to taper).

But in the end, it all boils down to which rod fishes better for you and like I said, when you get a chance and want to fish my 1141C GL3 let me know and it is yours for a couple days. smile

#142534 - 03/01/02 01:08 AM Re: Even more rod questions
StorminN Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Blyn, WA
Good info, Sparkey! Thanks...

-N.

#142535 - 03/01/02 01:55 AM Re: Even more rod questions
Fish Jesus Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tacoma
Told you!

FJ...out.

#142536 - 03/01/02 01:57 AM Re: Even more rod questions
JR32 Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: shelton wa
Don't judge a rod by its price most of a rods price is do to the amount of money spent on advertising. Just because you pay $100 more for a rod doesn't mean you have a better rod just one that cost the manufacturer more money to produce and market. I am not saying any rod is as good as the next just don't fall in to the trap of if its cheaper its inferior.

#142537 - 03/01/02 04:36 PM Re: Even more rod questions
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
Some pretty good general information about rods (info on modulus about 2/3 down the page):

Rod building info

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#142538 - 03/02/02 04:37 PM Re: Even more rod questions
TH Offline
Spawner

Loc: Coos Bay, OR
Good information.
I don't know that I would ever say that the Rainshadow is the ultimate blank.. but in my opinion, it fishes as good or better than the GL3. I like the actions better, senistivity in my book is identical, and the quality of blanks is a no brainer.
and I too an axiously awaiting the 51 million mod. blanks from Rainshadow. Maybe the end of the summer... ??
www.thcustomrods.com
541-260-9991

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Carcassman, Clipfin, Danny Clyde, Dannyboy, dk1948, Twitch
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
4 registered (steely slammer, wolverine, 2 invisible), 941 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645366 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |