THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#142793 - 03/01/02 06:20 AM Re: Important,but not relative to fishing.
sinker Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Puyallup, WA
aol runs ebay??? rolleyes

There is another firearm auction site out there that looks exactly like eBay does. It must be run by them. It's so similar I'm sure eBay would have shut it down by now.

Now here's a little more info for all you people out there boycotting Dell now.
http://wired.com/news/business/0,1367,50723,00.html

They aren't supporting gun control. They even offered the guy a freebie because they screwed up.

I've never seen rumors start faster than the gun lobby starts them.

#142794 - 03/01/02 07:24 AM Re: Important,but not relative to fishing.
HntnFsh Offline
Spawner

Loc: Toledo Wa
Sinker,
Thanks for the added info.That is not the way it was discussed when the program was on and Weigand was personally on the air.You helped to clear a lot of this up and I appreciate it.
The one thing that did come out was the contribution to H.C.I. Maybe there is more to it than was initially said.
FishnSinsation. It is definitely legal to hunt with a handgun.A lot of people do it.Plus there are a lot of shooting sports enthusiasts that use handguns in their sport.
Maybe in my anger as to the way it was brought across I was a little to quick to jump on the bandwagon and should have done more research.Unfortunately my computer skills suck so I wouldnt know too well how to go about that.Sinker you did a grat job on it and once again I appreciate it.

#142795 - 03/01/02 08:23 AM Re: Important,but not relative to fishing.
bardo Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: union wa

#142796 - 03/01/02 09:14 AM Re: Important,but not relative to fishing.
eddie Offline
Carcass

Loc: Valencia, Negros Oriental, Phi...
I've watched this thread develop and I am interested in finding out if there are more folks like me on this board. I love to fish, I defend (fervently) the right to hunt, and I support Handgun Control (philosophically and financially). No need to go into the arguements, they are all well known and understood. I am most interested to see if my support of HCI puts me in the "wacko minority" part of the PP community.

Tight lines

R.P. McMurphy - One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest

#142797 - 03/01/02 11:12 AM Re: Important,but not relative to fishing.
silver hilton Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Out there, somewhere
Eddie, your support of HCI simply puts you in the ranks of the duped. HCI lies. Both to the public and to their contributors. The founder was quoted in the New Yorker years ago as stating that he and HCI will say anything and do anything to meet their goal of complete elimination of private firearms ownership in America. Not handguns, firearms. Their continuing fabric of deception and media manipulation is one of the major reasons, in my view, that we can't have a reasonable discussion about any reasonable legal measures.

I think the NRA is a little off it's rocker as well. But the NRA would be defused if the "anti" side wasn't so flagrantly dishonest. Paranoia is the only reasonable response if the world really is out to get you.

If you want an interesting view as to what the dangers of simple gun ownership are, vis a vis your kids, check out the National Safety Foundation's web site. Your kid's bike is more dangerous, statistically, to him/her than your firearm. Cars are way more dangerous. This of course assumes that your kid isn't a crack dealer, which I consider to be a separate issue.

If you want a scientific view of what the impact of private gun ownership really is, I'd suggest John Lott's "Point Blank". This is a statistical study of crime and gun ownership. John Lott is a researcher, who was anti gun, but intellectually honest. He did a study of the rates of crime, trying to correlate crime to gun ownership. He expected to find that as gun ownership increased, that crime would increase. He instead found the opposite. It's thought provoking reading.

As in so many areas, the problem is more complex than it appears at first. Also, as in so many areas, there seems to be a scarcity of independent thought.

#142798 - 03/01/02 11:45 AM Re: Important,but not relative to fishing.
Fish Jesus Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tacoma
FS, you said for me to diet for my family... If you like guns maybe you need to tighten up your belt a little!

We all choose who to support and who not to...that is of course unless your heads buried in the sand!

FJ...out.

Bye-Bye small businesses in Hawkes Prairie...Wal-Marts coming to town mad

#142799 - 03/01/02 01:21 PM Re: Important,but not relative to fishing.
Timber Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Stumpy Acres
Well,wel,well you sure know how t make friends FS :p

Here's how I feel about gun control- The first thing thy want to take away is your hand guns. Do you gun control believers think that criminals are gonna give up theres? NOT If a gun isnt registered how the hell are thy going t kno you have it? They arent ..The law abidding citizens will sacrafice there guns and the criminals will find a way to keep theres or puchase ilegal one's.

For instance since they did this in canada the crime rate has sky rocketed!!

If a crook knows you don't have ay guns what is going to keep them from just walking rightin your house? Nothing!!!

If it ever comes to giving up our guns then you can bet your ass I will be breakin the law because 90% of my guns are not registered an will not be given up.. laugh

FS- yes you can hunt with a hand gun.My uncle has hunted elk and deer with his 44 for years..

#142800 - 03/01/02 01:43 PM Re: Important,but not relative to fishing.
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
Quote:
If a crook knows you don't have ay guns what is going to keep them from just walking rightin your house? Nothing!!!
A crook would have to be damn motivated to walk into your house TM! laugh

FJ, Hey at least you'll be able to find a large selection of pork rind baits and bass plugs now the Wally Mart is moving in. rolleyes First, Yard Birds closed.........now try to find corkies in Olympia. mad

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#142801 - 03/01/02 04:55 PM Re: Important,but not relative to fishing.
Gregor Offline
Smolt

Loc: America
Criminals give up handguns? never...what's a trade without tools?

#142802 - 03/01/02 06:27 PM Re: Important,but not relative to fishing.
B-RUN STEELY Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: IDAHO
I am like a moth to the flame.... I can't help but reply. The whole gun control topic is a hot one with many of my freinds "all pro hand gun people"... I have found over the years that the gun control lobby gets its best press by simply letting pro gun people go ahead and try and make a point. " Charlton Heston is my president" and that type of stuff is just stupid. " When they pry it from my cold dead fingers" thats another gem.

A few things in life I am sure of... 1> The Russions are not comming... we got bored waiting and now we are looking for them. 2> No lobbie will ever be able to take away your right to hunt and fish. 3> There will never be a time when the nation is "free" of guns as the control lobbie would like to think.

Am I pro gun ??? That depends. I love guns and hunting. Do I need a blastmaster 6250 XP-MAG body snatcher model with optional 50 round mag and grenade launcher attachment... hell no. Does that mean I should think you don't need one.... I'm not sure. Do I have a problem with a 5 day waiting period on hand guns... of course not.

Many of my freinds won't go anywhere unless they are "packing".. That scares me as much as the prospect of running into the situation that they are " ready for".. There are a lot of people who are what the guns and ammo crowd would concider "pinko right wing cry babies etc." But they really are just people who are not scared that they will lose anything in the long run.. They love to hunt. Guns are a tool.

One last thought... think about all the guys you know that spend most of their time reading guns @ ammo... Handgun news.. whatever.. Most often those guys are the worst hunters you know. Anybody who can sit and talk for hours about the "stopping ability of my new Glock".. is not really about hunting anyway....

So whats next on the agenda guys???Abortion ???

#142803 - 03/01/02 07:01 PM Re: Important,but not relative to fishing.
Little Fish Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle, Washington
FS,
Just wanted to take a moment to tell you I disagree with your logic and opinion.
JMS

#142804 - 03/01/02 07:08 PM Re: Important,but not relative to fishing.
FishinSinsation Offline
Spawner

Loc: kenmore, wa
thats fine, you can have your opinions little fish.

What i guess i was getting at is, i dont see the point in not using a certain company because it believes in somthing and turn around and use another who suports it also. You know what i mean? if you're going to do it.... do it right.. not half way..... and some guy said "build" your own computer because its cheaper.. (check out Infotechnow.com located in fed. way. really cheap parts and they also build computers great company) well are you going to reaserch all the componets that goes into the computer you build? I sure hope so because your not going to buy dell.. might what to know what your buying. Maybe someone will do all the hard work and reaserch and thats cool more power to you!!!

#142805 - 03/01/02 07:27 PM Re: Important,but not relative to fishing.
Hey Yall Watch This Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Olympia....beeyotch
Hilarious.

Sinsation, I take it you are not a big fan of Rage Against the Machine?

Until they change the laws and my @ss gets declined in the background check, I am currently saving up for a tech 9 I am going to score for around $900. Missed out on an AR-15 a couple years ago, but I still get to shoot that bad boy. There's this machine gun-looking .308 I'm looking at for $1,100 along with the tech 9.

Will I hunt with these guns? Yeah right. Nope. I'm just going to have fun safely, and legally, shooting them. I shot a 12 gauge fireball yesterday for the first time. Damn, now that is bad @ss. laugh

Hey, the Russians may not be coming, but you gotta watch those sneaky, damn Canadians. wink

Still though, anyone, who can be so sure as to those things never happening in his lifetime, will still be welcome at my place if it ever happens....as long as you're a quick learner with a gun.

thefishinggoddess.com fan club

#142806 - 03/01/02 07:35 PM Re: Important,but not relative to fishing.
Little Fish Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle, Washington
FS
I understand...point well taken.
JMS

#142808 - 03/01/02 09:13 PM Re: Important,but not relative to fishing.
Fish Jesus Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tacoma
Aunty...I like your style! wink

FJ...out.

#142809 - 03/01/02 10:52 PM Re: Important,but not relative to fishing.
Vic Offline
Spawner

Loc: Everett, Wa, USA
At the risk of being blasted... The reason our forefathers included the right to keep and bear arms in the constitution was so that the people wouldn't have to live under a tyrany of a corrupt/oppressive government ever again, essentially giving the people the tools to rebel if needed (I am not saying we should take up arms against the government. I am simply stating what I learned in history class). That said as a responsible citizen I should be able to own ANY type weapon available including: hunting rifles, hand guns, semi and fully automatic assult rifles (I know it is a radical thought).

I understand the reasons behind the liberal/gun control loby. I think that they are misguided idealists who seldom take facts or reason into consideration. They don't realize that the laws that loby for only will only apply to law abiding citizens. The criminals will continue to do things as they see fit. A perfect example of this would be the street gangs of Los Angeles. Fully automatic rifles are not available to the general public, yet the gang members have them. Where did they come from? You can't buy them at your local gun shop, and as far as I know you haven't been able to buy these types of weapons over the counter for quite some time (the late 1920's I think). Yet these punks have them.

I for one am tired of these prominent/whacked out liberals (Rosie O'Donell, Warren Beaty) telling me how I should live my life and what my morals should be. It seems that this is a free country until you don't agree with them.

Whoa Guess I got a little worked up there...

#142810 - 03/01/02 10:55 PM Re: Important,but not relative to fishing.
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
First off, handguns, like all firearms, are tools. They can be misused, just like a knife, a hammer, a car, or a #2 pencil.

I am for responsoble use of firearms and I believe that all folks who possess or use them should go through some sort of training program. I'm not sure about making it mandatory, because I don't like the creation of laws that make Joe Citizen a criminal the day it goes into effect, when the day before he was a stand up citizen.

I have drawn a handgun in defense twice in my life, and I doubt I would be here if I didn't carry. One time I was a civilian, the other was when I was a deputy. Never fired a shot and while I'm not religious I thank God I didn't have to. One guy was armed with a knife, the other with a pistol. Both were criminals with extensive records who obviously didn't worry about breaking the law.

The law enforcement community has an extremely difficult job. I respect them for the service that they provide us, but as AuntyM implies, they can not be everywhere at once. Many of us choose to take responsibility for our own safety. When I am at work, I can't carry (Bank). When I am anyplace away from work, I carry 90% of the time.

I have carried for 14 years and I will continue to carry until there is either no longer a need, or I can no longer legally due so.

There really is no middle ground on gun control. If you intend to hunt with a shotgun, you should not do business with those who would restrict handgun ownership. Look at Great Britain, Australia, and Canada. They started with one type of weapon first. The pistol. Next comes ANY semi-auto. Say bye-bye to your BAR, M1 Garrand, Remington 740, 11-87, or Benelli SBE. Then all rifles, and finally your beloved side by side or over/under. If you hunt with a bow, your next.

What does this have to do with fishing? Well, the well balanced folks at PeTA have attacked hunting, saying it is cruel, and less fervent supporters say that if you really need meat, you should just buy it at the store and let someone else do your killing for you. It isn't a big leap from there to fishing. PeTA has already introduced programs to school districts where they discuss the cruelty of fishing.

WAKE UP! If you think it isn't your problem, you have your head in the sand. Feel free to debate me on any of the subjects I have raised. I hope I didn't "read" like I was a raving lunatic.

Andy

"cold dead hand"?....Been close twice.

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#142811 - 03/02/02 01:06 AM Re: Important,but not relative to fishing.
FishinSinsation Offline
Spawner

Loc: kenmore, wa
great post dogfish.. and you're so right..

so whats the answer? not buy dell or use aol?
its a hard call...
but as you said you carry a gun 90% of the time, well if i was able to carry one i might do so..
but i do carry my knife whenever im not at school.... i had two joes trying to steal my car the othernight what would stop them from breaking into my house when i am home. Even though i feel handguns are not the answer.. you're right.. if the bad guys have em so should we.
thank you for opening my eyes dogfish

#142812 - 03/02/02 01:24 AM Re: Important,but not relative to fishing.
G-MAN Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: BELLINGHAM / EVERSON
Now I'm really CONFUSED!! frown frown Not only do I still don't know what is the Best Hooks to use, now I don't know what is the best computer!!! confused
Now I read I can't use a handgun to land a legally caught Wild Steelhead! This sucks guys! mad mad mad
And what's this AOL thing? You telling me we now have the Internet on our computers? Why do they take away things and give others we don't need? confused I miss the 60's!

#142813 - 03/02/02 02:10 AM Re: Important,but not relative to fishing.
Wishiniwasfishin Offline
Parr

Loc: Lake Stevens
Take the views of Silver Hilton, Timber Man, Dogfish, Vic, and Aunty M. Put them all together, and you got the way I feel about gun control! If the criminals have it, so should we.

Those horrible hand guns are just so terrible the way they kill and main so many people every year, they should be outlawed so we won't have to deal with these tragidies anymore. And while we are at it lets outlaw roller blades, bikes, skateboards, skis, boats, airplanes, and oh yea the biggest offender of them all lets get rid of all of the CARS too. They kill more people than all the rest combined.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
CHUBS
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 939 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645302 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |