THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#142773 - 02/28/02 07:53 PM Important,but not relative to fishing.
HntnFsh Offline
Spawner

Loc: Toledo Wa
I hope you dont mind me making this post but I felt it important and wanted to pass this on.
I was listening to Lars Larson,(radio)in Portland today while I was at work.A man called in and said he ordered a new Dell computer for his business.Weekend Combat Handguns.He is involved in making handgun products and sport shooting.
Dell turned him down because of the word combat in his name.Then stated policy as to terrorist activities and things of the sort.He read the complete letter on the air.They came off as trying to be a good American Co.
What it all boils down to after some research is Dell Computers is a supporter of H.C.I. or,Handgun Control Inc.And is pro gun control.As is A.O.L!!!
I know that with the prices of computers so low,lots of people are buying,and I really hope you all take a look at another product instead of supporting these jerks.
I also know a lot of you are hunters and gun owners so I just wanted to pass this info on.Thanks for letting me use this space to air my gripes.

#142774 - 02/28/02 08:21 PM Re: Important,but not relative to fishing.
FishinSinsation Offline
Spawner

Loc: kenmore, wa
who cares, as long as they offer what i am looking for i am still gonna buy.. dell makes good computers and if they're pro gun control.... that their right..

so bottom line for me is.
if the products good i'll buy.

Im not going to buy some second rate computer just because they sopport gun control or whatever.

and you say look at another product so are we supposed to spend hours reasearching each company before we buy.. so example if i want to buy a pen from pentel that costs 2.00 do i have to spend 2 hours reasearching to find out what they support and dont support.. sounds like a waste of time to me

in the time it takes to reasearch i could have dont somthing better.. like go fishing or hunting or whatever.

#142775 - 02/28/02 08:26 PM Re: Important,but not relative to fishing.
Firedog Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: SW Washington
Hntnfsh, good post and thanks for the info. I for one will not knowingly support a company that supports gun control. If that means I pay more somewhere else than so be it. Thanks for the info, Dell will not be a brand I look at when go to get a new computer. There is to much money coming from the gun control lobby as it is they dont need any of mine to help out a cause I dont support!!

Fisinsinsation, as I see it if you support gun control that is your right. If you dont, then dont buy from companies that do. If I was an AOL subscriber and found out they were Pro Gun control I would cancel that day. Two many options available to support the other side of my views.

#142776 - 02/28/02 08:27 PM Re: Important,but not relative to fishing.
steelhd101 Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Everett, WA.
Not a good answer Fishinsinsation. They use your money to lobby against some of the things you do. That is the lazy way out. How much research would it take. GEEEZZ. Thank you for the update. I will pass it on.

#142777 - 02/28/02 08:28 PM Re: Important,but not relative to fishing.
FishinSinsation Offline
Spawner

ok EVERY ONE ON AOL CANCLE YOR INTERNET NOW! YOUR SUPPORTING GUN CONTROL

#142778 - 02/28/02 08:30 PM Re: Important,but not relative to fishing.
FishinSinsation Offline
Spawner

how many people here use AOL IM or perhaps have AOL as a provider! i am sure that number is pretty high.. also ICQ is owned by AOL... so is netscape!

there goes my browser...

#142779 - 02/28/02 08:44 PM Re: Important,but not relative to fishing.
FishinSinsation Offline
Spawner

ebay is ran by AOL..

so EBAY is off limits also

i just remembered..
aol and time-warner... i am sure this list goes on and on

want more?

#142780 - 02/28/02 08:55 PM Re: Important,but not relative to fishing.
DM Offline
Smolt

Loc: WASHINGTON
I think it would be worth cancleing because us gun owners are always trying to fight so hard pro gun control just like fireDog and steelhd101 Said why put more money twards those that are against you . And as for how many people have AOL, I am sure the numbers are unbelievable, but than again you cant make every one cancle its just thier choice on how much they want the right to have guns. I guess its just something to really think about. wink

#142781 - 02/28/02 08:57 PM Re: Important,but not relative to fishing.
HntnFsh Offline
Spawner

Loc: Toledo Wa
Fishinsensation,Its people like you that contribute to the problem then gripe like heck when your rights are gone.Your last sentence says it all.Do something productive like go fishing or hunting.
If people support gun control,either directly or indirectly you also contribute to the loss of your rights and might not be able to go hunting in the future.
When that right is gone which one will they try to take away next.
Grow some balls and make a stand for once.You might be glad you did.
There are a lot of other good products out there for a good price.Please put out just a little effort.Maybe because of it we can all do something productive and go hunting or fishing.
I've never tried to slam anybody on this board,but I came real close on this one.I have a feeling I wont need to because some of the other people on here wont be able to hold back. mad

#142782 - 02/28/02 09:00 PM Re: Important,but not relative to fishing.
FishinSinsation Offline
Spawner

hntnfsh slam me for what.. speaking the truth AOL is a huge company i am sure pretty almost everything you do online is linked to aol some how.. just think about it...

so ok great you dont buy a dell computer or use aol as an ISP
but yet you still use netscape, icq.. and many other aol related programs.

sounds like a good idea to me

if you dont like cooperate america go live up in the woods and make all your own stuff.. live off the land..

hntnfsh all day

#142783 - 02/28/02 10:28 PM Re: Important,but not relative to fishing.
DM Offline
Smolt

FishnSinsation
It seems like your making AOL out to be be connected to every thing when yes it is a nation wide company for internet, but not to dis those with AOL, there are better and more larger companys out there that are not connected to AOL!!!!! mad

#142784 - 02/28/02 10:31 PM Re: Important,but not relative to fishing.
tommo41 Offline
Fry

Loc: yakima, wa usa
I think this is an outside issue.

I love fishing. And, I don't shoot my steelhead. I think it would be against the regs.

cool

#142785 - 02/28/02 10:42 PM Re: Important,but not relative to fishing.
bardo Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: union wa
i thought guns were dangerous

#142786 - 02/28/02 11:17 PM Re: Important,but not relative to fishing.
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Nisqually
Don't waste your money on Dell, HP, Compaq, Gateway or any other "brand name" computer. Chances are you are getting a junky computer for twice the price of a computer you can build yourself.

Who do you think pays for all of those wonderful TV commercials? YOU!

Build your own computer and save yourself a ton o' money and have the best components. Did I mention building your own computer is fun too? cool

#142787 - 02/28/02 11:25 PM Re: Important,but not relative to fishing.
4Salt Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Lynnwood, WA
Rod Serling would roll over in his grave. With this topic, truly we have entered "The Twilight Zone!" rolleyes rolleyes

#142788 - 03/01/02 12:06 AM Re: Important,but not relative to fishing.
DM Offline
Smolt

I am threw debating about this.

Make of it what you will smile

#142789 - 03/01/02 12:29 AM Re: Important,but not relative to fishing.
Gregor Offline
Smolt

Loc: America
ebay is not run by AOL. rolleyes

#142790 - 03/01/02 01:14 AM Re: Important,but not relative to fishing.
silver hilton Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Out there, somewhere
I don't know what Michael Dell's position is on gun control. It wouldn't surprise me if he is for it. 40% of the people in this country are, whether we like it or not. If Dell, the company, were to take a strident, public, position for extreme gun control measures, I would cease to be a customer.

However, I wonder if that is the full story. I could see a company having measures in place to avoid doing business with other companies who appear to be fringe companies. This might have no more nefarious purpose than keeping their name out of the papers and off of 60 Minutes. The company name, "Weekend Combat", is a little inflammatory, in my opinion. You may not agree with my assessment about this name. What do you think Dell should do if the company name was, say, "Death to ******s/Lesbians/Hippies" or "Sex with Underage girlz" or some similar? (I apologise to any Blacks in our audience for my choice of words in the previous sentence, I am trying to make a point about offensive company names and realize the magnitude of the term)

If they were to refuse to sell to Ruger or Bushmaster, I would be concerned. I might then ask them if they also refuse to do business with DuPont or IBM, both of whom have a much larger defense business.

I say this as an avid gun owner and NRA member. While I fully support standing up for our rights, it doesn't do any good to push people's buttons. It is simply common sense to realise that some people are afraid of gun owners, and we shouldn't go out of our way to convince them that we are trigger happy nuts. Terms like "Weekend Combat" do that. The business owner that picked this for a name has rocks in his head and needs to go take a Dale Carnegie course on how to win friends and influence people.

Before anyone goes off half cocked, I would suggest simply asking Dell what their position is. I am sure that the person who picks up the phone will be happy to tell you whether they have a policy aginst selling to gun owners.

Now, as to AOL and E-Bay. I don't know about AOL, but my understanding is that E-Bay quit handling firearms related transactions some time back. I don't recall it being particularly politically motivated. More, I thought they were concerned about the legal climate in this country, and that they were simply worried about being the big pockets to be sued if someone bought a gun and then did some harm with it. I may not like that position, but it seems like a rational business decision to make, given the legal environment in the country at this time. E-Bay is not 'run' by AOL. It is a separate company, with separate management and separate stock. Check out the profile on Yahoo at http://biz.yahoo.com/p/e/ebay.html

The worst thing we can do as gun owners is to run around peeing on people that are afraid of us. The best thing we can do is to make sure that people understand us as we are - law abiding good neighbors. That means we need to be patient, knowledgable, understanding, and forgiving. Like Christ and Buddha. Know what I mean? So let's be sure to do our homework.

#142791 - 03/01/02 01:28 AM Re: Important,but not relative to fishing.
FishinSinsation Offline
Spawner

ok but aol does help run the advertising for ebay. "closely"

Internet giants eBay, Inc. (NASDAQ:eBay) and America Online are expanding their relationship with a new three-year marketing deal that expands eBay's advertising and promotion across AOL Time Warner (NYSE:AOL), AOL's parent company, brands. The companies, which have had a working relationship since 1997, will collaborate closely on developing marketing solutions for eBay across a range of AOL Time Warner's online, print and television properties.

eBay will also continue to have a prominent presence across America Online's domestic and international family of brands, including AOL, AOL.com, CompuServe, Netscape, and AOL's
Digital City.

SO why support a company who supports a company who supports gun control. Yahoo and EBay work together.. so why support a company who supports a company who supports gun control. so no ebay or yahoo..
not much left...i am sure yahoo works with alot of companies! so hmm.. go take yourself back up to the woods... oh and another thing.. fshnhnt i never said i didnt support gun control

you can hate me if you want. i have my opinions.. but just so you know i dont hate you wink

i love you all

#142792 - 03/01/02 04:33 AM Re: Important,but not relative to fishing.
FishinSinsation Offline
Spawner

just another question here.. how is hand gun control going to hurt hunters?
You cant use a hand gun to hunt can you?

personally id like to see more hand gun control...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
CHUBS
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 939 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645302 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |