Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#143019 - 03/02/02 11:02 PM Float Fishing
Big Woody Offline
Parr

Loc: Gold Bar Wa
I have a few questions on float fishing concerning summer steelhead.

When fishing a baited jig under a float, should the jig be off the bottom, or should it be contacting the bottom.

From my experience, summer fish tend to be holding more in the riffles, How should I rig my float in this situation?

When rigging for jig fishing , should I put split shot above my leader, If so how far?

One more question on summer fishing, Is it more important to be out first and last light or does it matter? I know winter fishing
I caught them all different times of the day.

Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.

#143020 - 03/02/02 11:48 PM Re: Float Fishing
Thumper Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Vancouver, WA
I fish for summer fish the same way as for winters --- a basic drift rig with a slinky or shrinky and an adjustable bobber above everything. A simple but effective technique, especially with a baitcaster reel to make it easy to extend the drift.

Early is the best time for summers. Many years ago I fished Daybreak Park (East Fork Lewis) and the high bank hole below Daybreak every morning from June 1 to June 15. I was always back at my car by full sun-up. I picked up 14 steelhead during those 15 mornings. Never saw another fisherman.

Please join CCA. After only 18 months total Pacific Northwest membership is over 7,000. We need you!

The walls of death have got to go!

#143021 - 03/02/02 11:51 PM Re: Float Fishing
Wild Chrome Offline
Spawner

Loc: The Tailout
Woody,
I've done little float fishing for summer-runs, but lots for winters. I think the riffle-loving summer-runs are easier to approach with spinners and flies. Anytime I fish float/jig, I always have the jig a foot or 2 above the bottom. Since summer-runs will often come to the surface for a fly, I bet you don't have to be as close when fishing for them with jigs. You can fish for them more efficiently and confidently if your jig is off the bottom.
As for time of day, I usually do better when the sun's off the water, especially if the river runs south to north. Throwing spinners in the riffles and choppy seams seems to work any time of day in the summer, though. Just go smaller and duller if the sun's bright. I imagine this would apply to jigs too.

#143022 - 03/03/02 12:01 AM Re: Float Fishing
Big Woody Offline
Parr

Thumper and Wild chrome, thanks for the reply!

I've fished a lot for winters , but not too much for summers. I work second shift and I always seem to get up too late.

If fishing with spinners in the riffles, do I do a dead drift approach? Should I swing a spinner through like I would a corkie? A friend of mine does well on the sky bottom bouncing with a black fly and a 6 foot leader. He fishes mostly from 5 P.M. on.

Should I dead drift a fly in the choppy stuff as well?

#143023 - 03/03/02 12:24 AM Re: Float Fishing
Wild Chrome Offline
Spawner

Woody,
In an average riffle with the stronger current toward the middle and the slower current near shore, throw the spinner about straight out, let it sink a few seconds, then swing it. You may need to retrieve slowy early in the swing until the current rotates the blade on it's own.

A great, I mean great! book on fishing spinners is called Fishing Spinners for Steelhead, Salmon and Trout by Jed Davis. (I think that's the title). It goes into lots of detail on how to select and fish spinners. It also gives awesome info on how steelhead behave under different conditions. I'd actually recommend it to any steelhead fisherman, regardless of fishing style.

#143024 - 03/03/02 12:26 AM Re: Float Fishing
Wild Chrome Offline
Spawner

Woody,
Regarding the fly, you can dead drift it or swing it. The latter may work better when the sun's off the water.

#143025 - 03/03/02 12:28 AM Re: Float Fishing
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
Big Woody:

Have "float fished" summer runs for 8+ yrs., didn't know what I was doing in the beginning. Fished large jigs, black, reds, orange, and many other colors......but you know..I still caught fish. Used level wind reels then, 9' winter run rods....all that has changed....NOW USE..10-10 1/2 4-10 lbs. Rods.....Shimano 200 Spirex or Symetre reels, 10 or 12 pound line, limp(soft). Do not "pinch" any lead on my leaders, use slinkies, that I make....1, 2, or 3 BB size shot, punch holes in both ends of the "cord", thread leader, thur 1 hole, around the slinky body, then thur the other hole.....love this, cause I can then slide the slinky,up or down the leader. Works very well and have gotten many others to change. Would tell you the colors I now catch most of my summer or winter runs on...but then I'd have to kill you........They sure wouldn't be in black, purple, pink/white, reds...hehehe!!!
Also recommend that you do a search on jig fishing, cause this has been talked about "lot's"

Good luck!!!! Jig do work.....super!!!!

"Worse day sport fishing, still better than the best day working"

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#143026 - 03/03/02 01:28 AM Re: Float Fishing
Big Woody Offline
Parr

Thanks everyone,Great information!

I love the idea of threading the slinky.

Wild Chrome, I'm going to get that book Monday, I think I saw it at John's Sporting Goods in Everett. If not I'm sure STS has it.

#143027 - 03/03/02 01:03 PM Re: Float Fishing
First Bite Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: OR
For summer steelhead fishing when the water gets really low and clear I get most of my fish in the riffles leading into a drift. I like using a fixed float because sometimes I fish the jig a foot under the float. First light is the best time but when the sun gets on the water I still target the riffles using red/black,cerise combinations. One of my favorite baits is crawdad tails tipped on a jig. It's like candy to summer steelhead.

Mark

Nobody makes a tougher jig...PERIOD!

#143028 - 03/03/02 07:10 PM Re: Float Fishing
Big Woody Offline
Parr

Thanks , First Cast! Good info from the Web Site.

I started fishing floats on the Vedder River in B.C. a few years ago. Up there, that's the way they fish almost exclusively. I must say , with great success. The canadians use knuckle busters with long rods with their floats.

Being taught using basic drift techniques, I felt was limiting me, so I really want to start using jigs and spinners. I think that will be really effective for summer fish.

The first 2 weeks of June on the Skykomish are generally very good. Especially on the upper river.
I live along a stretch of that part of the Sky. I'm going to use some of the techniques that I've learned from the replies that I've got here Hopefully I'll be somewhat succesfull.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Schmidtm, schmidty, Spinhead
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 360 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645410 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |