THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#143144 - 03/05/02 01:52 AM Re: POP QUIZ -- Fishing and BB knowledge -- ANSWERS (debates?)
FishNg1 Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Gig Harbor, WA , USA
I'll give this a try!

1. C
2. C
3. A
4. A
5. C
6. D
7. C
8. A
9. A
10. C
11. C
12. D
13. C
14. B
15. Probably a virgin....no time for girls only fishing...AKA Justin?
16. C
17. B
18. D .....Mid to low water levels, clearwater conditions
19. D
20. B
21. D - Deserve extra credit for not falling for that one and divulging a true zipper for all on this board!

Dad, think that if I practice hard, they'll let me participate in the SRC ?
[Gig Harbor Puget Sound Anglers....Join your local chapter. CCA member

#143145 - 03/05/02 02:37 AM Re: POP QUIZ -- Fishing and BB knowledge -- ANSWERS (debates?)
pimpinshrimp Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: whatcom county
Here I go!
1.c
2.c
3.a
4.a
5.c
6.d
7.c
8.c
9.a
10.c
11.c
12.a
13.b
14.b
15.e
16.d
17.b
18.d
19.a
20.b
21.a,b,c

#143146 - 03/05/02 11:23 AM Re: POP QUIZ -- Fishing and BB knowledge -- ANSWERS (debates?)
Fish4Fun Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Renton
OK here is my 2nd try.

1) C
2) C
3) B
4) A
5) C
6) B
7) C
8) B
9) A
10) C
11) C
12) B
13) C
14) B
15) F
16) D
17) C
18) C Better Presentations
19) A
20) B
21) D

#143147 - 03/05/02 12:41 PM Re: POP QUIZ -- Fishing and BB knowledge -- ANSWERS (debates?)
Fishslayer75 Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Auburn
1)c
2)c
3)a
4)a
5)b
6)d
7)dip and slap action
8)b
9)a
10)c
11)d
12)b
13)c
14)b
15)BB member
16)d
17)c
18)6ft= takes away unnatural bait movment caused by drag while boondoggin
19)a
20)b
21) smile you know the one!

#143148 - 03/05/02 12:43 PM Re: POP QUIZ -- Fishing and BB knowledge -- ANSWERS (debates?)
ramstrong Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Glenside, PA USA

Chicks dig the floppy ears.

ramstrong@hotmail.com

#143149 - 03/05/02 01:18 PM Re: POP QUIZ -- Fishing and BB knowledge -- ANSWERS (debates?)
Bathtub Bob Offline
Parr

Loc: Rochester, Wa
1.C 2.C 3. B or C what you have more confidence in
4. A

5.C

6B
7.B Have seen c work but wondering is that where
spooled got his name
8.B
9.A
10.C
11.C
12.A
13.C
14.B
15.F
16.D
17.C
18.D i like 60in
19.A
20.C
21.Where sharp riprap rocks are and slippery ones laugh laugh

#143150 - 03/05/02 02:54 PM Re: POP QUIZ -- Fishing and BB knowledge -- ANSWERS (debates?)
Sniggler Offline
Smolt

Loc: Olympia, WA

#143151 - 03/05/02 10:49 PM Re: POP QUIZ -- Fishing and BB knowledge -- ANSWERS (debates?)
willierower Offline
Spawner

Loc: Albany OR
Here I go.

1. c
2. c
3. b
4. a
5. c
6. d
7. b
8. a
9. a
10. c
11. d
12. d
13. b
14. b
15. e
16. d
17. c
18. d
19. a
20. b
21. ifitwasupyourassyouwouldknow river.

#143152 - 03/06/02 12:45 AM Re: POP QUIZ -- Fishing and BB knowledge -- ANSWERS (debates?)
baitchucker Offline
Fry

Ok lets see if I can beat old pimpinshrimp because I know I can beet worm. He would answer pink worm on every ?.

1.c
2.c
3.c
4.a
5. none of the above. go with cut plugs. they have caught more fish than anything else
6.d
7.c
8.a
9.a
10.c
11.a
12.a
13.c
14.don't realy know as you can see by my name I don't do much fly fishing. so I'll have to guess (a)
15.pimpinshrimp's alias when he's after sheep.
16.d
17.c
18.d Gives the bait the most natural presentatio. If the vis is under 4 foot I would go with answer c and go shorter as the vis gets less.
19.d
20.b
21.The Mississippi

#143153 - 03/06/02 01:47 AM Re: POP QUIZ -- Fishing and BB knowledge -- ANSWERS (debates?)
challenged Offline
Alevin

1. C. unless a secondary hatchery fish then A also
2. c.
3 A. but jed disagrees and votes for a silver bladed spinner
4. a
5. c
6.d
7. A then change to C immediately
8.b
9 a
10 a
11 B add a clatter in that color better choice for more presence
12 B drift or float fish with this one
13 c
14 b& C on river
15 E how would you know for sure?
16 D but certainly has his pictures taken with RT's fish
17 c
18 d kinda short for boonin
19 c
20 b
21 D with out a doubt

#143154 - 03/06/02 02:34 AM Re: POP QUIZ -- Fishing and BB knowledge -- ANSWERS (debates?)
Steelheadman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Poulsbo, WA,USA
1. c
2. c
3. a
4. b
5. c
6. a
7. b
8. b
9. d
10.c
11.c
12.b
13.c
14.b
15.Justin
16.d (He wants his picture in STS)
17.c
18.a speed the drift up
19.a
20.b
21.Skeena River confused

#143155 - 03/06/02 06:18 AM Re: POP QUIZ -- Fishing and BB knowledge -- ANSWERS (debates?)
Anonymous
Unregistered

This has been up over 2 full days, and any longer could give advantage to more posters seeing a consensus to answers. So, the reel true answers (already e-mailed to Bob, and open to debate of course):

1. A hatchery steelhead will most often be missing it's?

C. Adipose fin

2. The poorest biting fresh water salmon species is?

C. Sockeye (red)

3. At 35 degrees river temperature and clear water in Wash. and Oregon, steelhead will most often respond to?

C. In extensive trials over the years I have done best in clear 35 degree Oregon rivers with small plugs slowly descended on sighted cold lethargic steelhead. Sometimes it takes hovering the plug right in front of them or right next to them for a while to irritate them into moving to mouth or strike the plug. Best ones I've used are the #30 and #50 small Hot Shots for this. (The other things do work also - except seals aren't usually up into low clear freezing rivers. Debate? Does your area differ?)

4. At what approximate degree F. water temperature will a summer steelhead most likely rise to a fly swung just beneath the surface?

A or C. - 52 to 57 degrees. Either answer gets a credit.

5. Which bait added to hootchie hooks being trolled behind a dodger would be the best producer for saltwater salmon?

B or C. Squid tentacles or herring filet. Either gets a credit.

6. When faced with river rowing a drift boat thru an unavoidable large standing wave with a reversal hydraulic, which is the best way to run it?

D. Head straight at the wave and push hard on the oars to gain momentum to bounce over or bust thru the wave.

7. If you have hooked "Ike" the monster fish and he heads for a tailout that you can't follow thru, the first option to try to stop and turn the fish is?

B. Put the rod tip down into the water, with moderate pressure applied. ... The sudden lower line angle and pressure seems to often turn the fish. But the key to this Q is "heads for the tailout", not already in the faster tailout going into the rapids. ... Next option is to put on all the pressure your line can stand. Last resort is to free spool line below the fish, trying to trick it back up stream. It works sometimes, if your hook is set past the barb.

8. Which of these marketed egg cures is the last one you should try adding some sodium nitrate to?

B. Pro-Cure Wizard (if you're not alergic to nitrates, compare it's semi-costic smell to other cures)

9. Which of these fishing lines has the least stretch?

A. Tuf line (as with all the superbraids)

10. Which fish has the highest fat content percentage when it first returns to the river?

C or D. Spring Chinook and smelt both have very high levels of body fat entering fresh water. Either gets a credit.

11. When backtrolling a long 10 ft. deep slot with above average water color for winter steelhead, which of these plugs would be the best choice for most NW rivers?

D. I have done this for many years - a lot of them with 4 client rods out with different plugs on them. While all of these will catch fish in this situation (and have for me lots of times), I have had the best productivity on the 'cop car with flame red butt' Wiggle Wart (I posted a pic of one along with the 'RT Injured Baitfish' Kwikie a several weeks ago). Bright white shows up even a little better than flame red/orange in murky water, and the black silouette of the head shows up well to fish in colored water. With this pattern you have both of those, along with the bright red flapping tail. And Warts are the best divers, and have the rattling beads to help fish find them in murky water.

12. Which of these rod model numbers is best for an all-around steelhead rod?

B. 1143 (debatable of course)

13. What most closely describes graphite rod modulous?

C. Strength and rigidity of the longitudinal fibers.

14. What is a Superfly around here?

B. Tackle rep (Vision and All Star) who catches fish. And makes damn fine Long Island Tea! wink

15. What is a Kid Sauk?

F. Fishes so much he's tardy on everything else - except dates with supermodels. laugh Just a fun Q. Free credit regardless of answer.

16. Why does Parker post so many pictures of himself holding fish?

D. What else? wink Same for the rest of us pic posters.

17. In the warmest Columbia river water of August (65 to 68 degress), where is the best place to fish for fall Chinook?

C. 35 to 40 ft. deep, 3 to 4 ft. off bottom. This seeming unlikely answer was the key for some really good fishers success out there last fall. Next fall the water shouldn't get as warm, with much more snow pack inland. Then I'd try a little shallower and 2 to 3 ft. off bottom. (*Note: the hot springer fishing last year just below the Bonneville deadline was helped a lot by the unusual low flows of a drought year. This spring it should be more challenging up there. Would you try backbouncing good eggs out in the middle with 20 oz. cannon ball lead, or with less along the seams or a little further downriver? We will soon find out!)

18. What's the approximate best leader length for boondogging?

D. 38"

Extra credit: answer why with the length you chose. One extra credit for those that choose D and said it would help give a more natural presentation (in so many words). A lot of guys use longer than 40" leaders for this. That won't floss fish when 'doggin. But I don't think it will help much over 38" leaders, which can help feel fish and set the hook faster. (But I'm not a hard core 'dogger either - debate away).

19. Which comment is most correct?

A or C. Sodium sulfite chem cured eggs rule for 'nooks! And so does egg/sandshrimp combos in tidewater. Either gets a credit.

20. Concerning fishing, what are 'tuna balls'?

B. Store bought canned tuna put into spawn-bag mesh in a round shape. ... I recommend oil based over water based. How well do you guys do with these?

21. Extra credit question: What is your most productive zipperlip river?

Joke - no credits given. smile

#143156 - 03/06/02 08:09 AM Re: POP QUIZ -- Fishing and BB knowledge -- ANSWERS (debates?)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Results:

Everyone did well on the quiz. No crackers. smile Thanks for participating guys.

The most debatable Q is likely #3 - where all three things (A,B,& C) will work with the right persistent presentations in semi-freezing water, but I am standing by my answer of C (small plugs).

I hope other guides and good fishers will try similar quiz contests. Along with any following debates, they are both educational and fun for the members here.

Here are the scores ....

CRAVEN MOOREHEAD - 12 (but he went first)
Fish4Fun - 14 first try, 17 second try
Dave Jackson - 16 ("crackerness"? not now)
STRIKE ZONE - 16
Robert Allen3 - 13
Parker - 11 (goofing around on some Q's, but he catches fish)
baitslinger - 13
PhishPhreak - 16
stlhdr1 (Keith) - 17 first try, but 15 second try
GutZ - 13
Chubbytyee - 16
RipDaLip - 15
smily - 12
Todd - 18!
FishNg1 - 14
pimpinshrimp - 13
Fishslayer75 - 19!
ramstrong - 18!
robert c young - 12
Sniggler - 17
willierower - 16 (glad you got #18 Paul, since we might run Spencer's up on the N. Santiam)
baitchucker - 14
challenged - 16
Steelheadman - 14

Congrats on winning this thing Fishslayer. Way to go. You guys fairly new to the rec sport of salmon and steelhead fishing better listen to him - and also to F4F, DJ confused , SZ, PhPh, Keith, Ct, Todd, ramstrong (Ryan), Sniggler, ww (Paul), and challenged. Of course I was just goofing around with Team Vision. Fly, KS, Parker, and BK all definitely know their fishin sheeyat!

RT

#143157 - 03/06/02 11:14 AM Re: POP QUIZ -- Fishing and BB knowledge -- ANSWERS (debates?)
Dave Jackson Offline
Spawner

Loc: Milwaukie, OR
If I got 16 of those answers right (and I checked them before I saw that you had already and came up with the same number), then I'm afraid that there's gonna be a whole lot of debate over what were deemed the correct answers.

If those are deemed to be correct then I think that we can summarily chalk this one up to blind luck. I'm a cracker, and no test will prove that otherwise. laugh
Get Bent Tackle wh&#333;re. Just added spinner section, where you can special order to your hearts content!

#143159 - 03/06/02 11:26 AM Re: POP QUIZ -- Fishing and BB knowledge -- ANSWERS (debates?)
Dave Jackson Offline
Spawner

Loc: Milwaukie, OR
I'm not sure what is more disturbing. Me getting 80% on a piscatorial quiz or me thinking along the same lines with RT 80% of the time.

Damn, I'm gonna run to Peterson's and grab me some comfort cheese-in-a-can.
Get Bent Tackle wh&#333;re. Just added spinner section, where you can special order to your hearts content!

#143160 - 03/06/02 12:33 PM Re: POP QUIZ -- Fishing and BB knowledge -- ANSWERS (debates?)
Fishslayer75 Offline
Returning Adult

eek eek eek WOW I've never won anything in my life wink And here I was thinking I was a cracker this hole time. Nah I'm still a cracker laugh

#143161 - 03/06/02 01:34 PM Re: POP QUIZ -- Fishing and BB knowledge -- ANSWERS (debates?)
bait boy Offline
Parr

Loc: Vancouver, Wa,USA
1 c
2 c
3 a
4 a
5 c
6 b
7 b
8 b
9 a
10 c
11 a
12 a
13 c or the number of graphite or whatever material strands that are placed into the rod blank. and since no one will tell us fisherman what scrim is I don't know if thats the right answer.
14 b
15 e
16 d
17 c
18 d because lenght of leader is not such that you are worried about not feeling the fish but being very careful of spooking.
19 a
20 b
21 D Ive never fished one

#143162 - 03/06/02 02:46 PM Re: POP QUIZ -- Fishing and BB knowledge -- ANSWERS (debates?)
pimpinshrimp Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: whatcom county
I might be dumb but at least I ain't stupid laugh

#143163 - 03/06/02 08:36 PM Re: POP QUIZ -- Fishing and BB knowledge -- ANSWERS (debates?)
Fishslayer75 Offline
Returning Adult

Hey RT, you said winning this would be fun! You said that women in wadders would be all over me. I want my money and my IMX back. :p

#143164 - 03/07/02 01:42 AM Re: POP QUIZ -- Fishing and BB knowledge -- ANSWERS (debates?)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey 'slayer, be patient. As soon as the word spreads that you got 19 of 20 on a fishing website quiz the babes in waders groupies will be all over ya; or I'll give you the stuff back. laugh

And Rick, sorry bud, but you've got to be put in the cracker class by being the only one to post wrong answers after the contest was closed and the correct answers posted! ... We's a thinkin you just went from the first thread post straight to your answer post, ay? wink

Hey DJ, remember those results were a double edged sword - I had to eat a huge German pancake with butter, powdered sugar, and fresh squeezed lemon to help deal with the notion that we think alike 80% of the time on fishing matters. Aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhkkkk. It must be the other 20% that makes the big difference on the river, eh? laugh

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
ET, kbrain57, OLYBEAV
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (steely slammer), 560 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645418 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |