THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#143497 - 03/06/02 12:25 AM Your all-time best fighting fish?
Wild Chrome Offline
Spawner

Loc: The Tailout
I was thinking about great-fighting fish this weekend after catching a really hot steelead on the coast. I think the best fighting fish I ever landed was a 32 inch wild Deschutes River summer steelhead I hooked in July 2000. The fish hit a #4 spinner I was swinging through a deep current seam around 3 in the afternoon on a sunny day. The fish jumped well clear of the water several times, then screamed downriver for what seemed like a full minute. My Shimano Stradic made a high pitched whine I'd not heard before, nor have I since. I remember looking at my reel during that first run and wondering if it would lock up... it didn't. The fish made a total of 7 water-clearing, sparkling jumps and made 3 of those 100 yard freight train-like runs where I didn't have a prayer of stopping it. I was very relieved and excited when I finally landed the silvery buck, since all during the fight, I expected to lose it. After photographing and releasing it, I remember shaking and giggling like a schoolgirl, I was so stunned and exhilerated by the power and wreckless abandon of that fish!

I'm curious to hear other member's stories about really hot fish!

#143498 - 03/06/02 01:10 AM Re: Your all-time best fighting fish?
JacobF Offline
Spawner

Loc: Post Falls, ID
I caught a 9 foot sturgeon several years ago that would be my best fight. Most impressive fishing moments I've ever had were with that fish. It jumped numerous times including a jump and tail walk about 30 feet from the boat. Amazing stuff.

#143499 - 03/06/02 01:45 AM Re: Your all-time best fighting fish?
AkKings Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kelso Wa.
A buddy and I were fishing out of Ketchikan back in 1990 targeting silvers, there were still a few kings around but we didn't really expect to find any so we decided to use our steelhead gear for the silvers.
He was using a G-Loomis 1025 with an Ambassador that was spooled with 155 yards of 8 lbs. Maxima Ultragreen (which had not been changed after the previous winter steely season). In the first hour, we each hooked a few silvers and a king which went 33 lbs, this would end up being the warmup for the big one.
At 2:15 while he was on the head with his pants around his ankles and his rod sitting in the rod holder (we had been mooching) his rod gets hammered. I grab the rod and holler at him that I think he's got a big halibut on and to come take care of it, I wanted to get back to fishing. He comes stumbling out and proceeds to fight this fish that I was sure was a butt, after 20-30 minutes of this stalemate, I almost had him convinced to cut the line, that's when the fish came off the bottom and jumped about 20 feet from the boat, all 57 lbs of chrome chinook.
We chased that fish for almost 4 miles and 6 hours before finally netting it at 8:00 p.m., when we arrived back at the resort there was about 200 people on the dock that had been listening to my radio transmissions with the resort on our progress with the fish, among those people was a reporter from the Ketchikan news, our picture made the front page the next day.
At the time that fish was 4 lbs. shy of the line class world record.

#143500 - 03/06/02 02:36 AM Re: Your all-time best fighting fish?
Chromeo Offline
Spawner

Loc: Kenmore, WA
a 30lb king off of edmonds pier with a medium spinning rod and 10lb test. took 45 mins to get her in.
Tyler

#143501 - 03/06/02 03:13 AM Re: Your all-time best fighting fish?
First Bite Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: OR
With the first fall rain storms of the season comes a mixture of late summers, Coho, and Fall Chinook to the oregon coast rivers. I grabbed my steelhead rod and headed to the Wilson river. I was using my Curado with 8# maxima matched with my 1024 Loomis (8-12#). I had caught and released a couple jacks and was about to head up river when a Chinook rolled in the middle of the drift. I then tied on 10# leader with a pink pom pom and shrimp tail. I was using a 2/0 barbless hook. Three casts later I felt the familiar bump. I set the hook and saw a huge Chinook roll and take off. After about 15 minutes I finally saw the fish again. It took another 20 minutes and six attempts to land the huge fish by myself. I carried the fish to my truck with its tail dragging on the ground. It topped the scales at 42 pounds. Lots of fun.

Mark

Nobody makes a tougher jig...PERIOD!

#143502 - 03/06/02 11:55 AM Re: Your all-time best fighting fish?
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
Best fighting fish I ever caught was a 30 lb albicore tuna. I was fishing my medium light Kunan rod, old Ambassadeur bass reel with 12 lb on it and a live anchovie. I saw the black part of the spool three times during the battle. Finally got it in after 20 minutes.

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#143503 - 03/06/02 12:12 PM Re: Your all-time best fighting fish?
TH Offline
Spawner

Loc: Coos Bay, OR
I landed a #19 hen on the Sol Duc last March that was HOT. I was drifting a pink worm, she nearly ripped the rod out of my hand and headed for the ocean. 20 minutes ater I released her gently back into the river. That was a good fight and my biggest steelie to date.
www.thcustomrods.com
541-260-9991

#143504 - 03/06/02 12:13 PM Re: Your all-time best fighting fish?
Crayfin Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Beaverton
Best fight...probably a 9# Summer Run out of the Hood River--took me 100 yards through a shin breaking mine field and probably cleared the water a total of 10 or 11 times! Absolutely the best aerial display I have ever seen on a steelhead!

#143505 - 03/06/02 12:56 PM Re: Your all-time best fighting fish?
FishinFinatic Offline
Fry

Loc: West Linn Oregon
Bets fighting fish would be a 20#+ native i caught this year, what a beutifull fish. That thing fought like a mother. And then the Srongest fish ever fought, A buddy and I was fishin Bradford island at bonniville and landed a sturgeon between 14-16 foot. this is no joke. off the bank as well. 2 1/2 hours to bring that hog in. and then about a week of soar backs for both my buddy and I. What makes this fish even better is my buddy has never fished for sturgeon in his life. when we got it to the bank i told him to grab the sturgeons lip, he reaplied with a F*** you, just the look on his face was hillariouos enough. tight lines MIke

#143506 - 03/06/02 01:13 PM Re: Your all-time best fighting fish?
fromcuthroattosteelies Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: olympia
a fifty-two pound bluegill. :p wink

#143507 - 03/06/02 01:17 PM Re: Your all-time best fighting fish?
Buzzo Offline
Parr

Loc: Albany, OR
I never saw the best fighting fish I ever hooked, but I assume it was a springer. I was fishing for steelhead above Waterloo falls on the South Santiam in June three years ago. I had waded out on a rock as close to the falls as I could get drifting pink yarn when I hooked up a big fish. It ran down toward the falls and wrapped the line around a rock. I could still feel the fish, so I waded out more to try and free the line. The river really trenches out above the falls, and before I knew it, I'm sucked in and my chest waders are starting to fill as I bob toward the falls. As I pass the rock with the line wrapped around it I manage to loop it off, and the fish is still there. Seconds later I get me knees up on a boulder and continue fighting the fish, who's still trying to go downriver. It somehow manages to wrap itself up again, however, and seconds later its gone. I dragged myself up on the bank nearby, completely exhausted, and thanked the fish gods for a memory that won't easily be forgotten, even though the fish won. HT

#143508 - 03/06/02 01:59 PM Re: Your all-time best fighting fish?
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
I've never actually caught a fish. I just take photos I find on the internet and edit them so it appears to be me. Saw someone fight a fish once. Looked like fun.

Team Nabisco

-Ritz

#143509 - 03/06/02 02:06 PM Re: Your all-time best fighting fish?
rainycity Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Seattle
I really don`t recall my best fighting fish but the most memorable one was
a Northern Pike caught off the cat-walks just outside Pick City N.D.
Parker,
Yeah, I remember someone else telling me about you before.. laugh

#143510 - 03/06/02 02:31 PM Re: Your all-time best fighting fish?
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
I encountered my best-fighting fish about 20 years ago on the Hoh river. I hooked a 6-7 lb. native summer-run hen on a single Anise-scented Luhr-Jensen rubber egg. When I finally landed her I was a babbling fool with a dime-sized blister on my thumb. That was by far the baddest fish I ever hooked, especially when you consider her lack of size. If you hooked a 20 lb'er with an attitude like that, you wouldn't stand a chance. I still remember that fight like it was yesterday.........and I'm always hoping for another fish with an attitude like that. laugh

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#143511 - 03/06/02 03:22 PM Re: Your all-time best fighting fish?
spawnout Offline
Spawner

Loc: Satsop
Oh yeah, gotta weigh in on this one laugh

About '94 or so in late March I was flyfishing the upper Quinault, in the spot that I referred to as the "toilet bowl hole" - water kept going round and round in a big eddy. I kind of casually threw my fly in there and watched it sink out of sight, then watched first the line and then the fly wash back around near my feet at the edge of this 10 foot deep hole. The water was gin clear, and as I was stripping in line for the next cast I noticed a huge dark boulder detach itself from the bottom, open up a big white mouth, and eat my fly. I set the hook and this monster buck in full spawning regalia flew 5 feet out of the water and looked me in the eye a rod-length away, hit the water running, and proceeded to peel off downstream. I threw all the loops I had in my left hand in the river and hung on - the fish hit the shallows at the tailout and jumped five feet in the air again, and when it came down enough line had washed downstream that it felt tension in that direction - as I had hoped - and bolted upstream, right out of the hole and into a series of 4 foot standing waves out in the mainstem. Once again it hit the end of the line, and then came out of the water in a series of 7 leaps (yes, I counted each one), each time literally bouncing on top of one of those waves and launching itself into the air, with my leader and then my line throwing a half-hitch around it each time. Then it hit the water again at the end of the tailout and lay there stunned - it had gone so berserk for 30 seconds that it had temporarily exhausted itself. Well, by this time my fly line was well wrapped around and attached to it's tail, even though the hook was still in it's mouth. I tried to pull it in backwards against the current and get my hand around it's tail - which turned out to be so large that my hand wouldn't fit around it, and when I touched him he started to come back to life. He wouldn't beach backwards, and once he started to swim away I knew I would be toast if he hit the main current - with my line wrapped around him there was no way I could break him off and would likely lose the whole line. So I ran downstream and worked him into a side channel, jumped in front of him when he tried to run back out of it, and got him to panic and run himself up on a gravel bar trying to get to the mainstem. I was able to pounce on him, get him unwrapped and unhooked, and get him measured - 39 inches long and 21 inches around - a good 22 pounds and shaped like a summer run - long, lean, and mean! I let him go to produce more like him, and then just sat there and breathed hard for the next half hour. laugh

#143512 - 03/06/02 05:17 PM Re: Your all-time best fighting fish?
Eric Offline
River Nutrients

It's hard to single out one fish as I've had different ones over the years blister my thumb.
A couple that stand out:

1) Mid 80's on the south fork toutle in february right after the river re-opened for winter steelhead after the eruption. The secret wasn't out yet and there was phenomenal winter steelhead fishing. Hooked a fish of only 8-9 lbs in a non-descript run that absolutely would not stop running and jumping. Took me 4 corners down the river before I saw the fish; hipboots full of water from the bath I took trying to keep up. Expecting to see a fish near twenty pounds based on the ride it took me on, I was stunned to see it's true size. A wild fish at it's best.

There have been others but I find it interesting that many of my "hottest" fish over the years have rarely exceeded 10 lbs. Bigger ones have given good accounts of themselves too but the suicide fish have mainly been 8-10 lb. winter and summer fish.

P.S. Did have a willapa bay silver slam my herring and jump in the boat 10 seconds later a few years ago...that was interesting!

#143513 - 03/06/02 05:36 PM Re: Your all-time best fighting fish?
Chromeo Offline
Spawner

Loc: Kenmore, WA
eric i had the same expierence. i hooked a silver in lake wa not last year but the time before that when it was open. came strait at me jumped on the boat and before i had the chance to pounce on it if flopped off... with the hook detached.

i saw a sailfish with a series of about 10 jumps come strait into the boat on americas funniest home videos....... that could cause some damage if it speared you eek eek

Tyler

#143514 - 03/06/02 05:46 PM Re: Your all-time best fighting fish?
Hohwaiian Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Seattle, Washington, US
There have been many good fights but the one that sticks out was a mid-teens wild buck C&R'd on a #2 chartruese Vibrax. A few years ago I was trolling the Duwamish Waterway for silvers when I hooked up. I was using an 1141S with 6lb line. The combination of light tackle with an ocean-fresh fish made for an awesome fight. Like Wild Chrome; my spinning reel spool spun so fast it sounded strange...

#143515 - 03/06/02 06:23 PM Re: Your all-time best fighting fish?
eddie Offline
Carcass

Loc: Valencia, Negros Oriental, Phi...
Two fish stand out - First one was my first time fly fishing for SR's. Was with Dennis Dickson and we finished the day at the Picnic Hole on the NF Stilly. I was fishing a straight downstream presentation over about 20 holed up fish. I hooked a few and then I hooked one that took one, two, three jumps straight at me!! The third jump I was looking up at the white belly of about a 7lb steelhead. He jumped clear over me, threw the hook, 'bout gave me a heart attack but ended my first day fly fishing with a smile on my face. The second fish was a 40lb king up in the Straits that took a 75 yard run on top of the water with spray coming off his back like he was a torpedo.

Both fish gave me great memories to think about on those days when I wear the skunk.

R.P. McMurphy - One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest

#143516 - 03/07/02 02:19 AM Re: Your all-time best fighting fish?
bigdawg Offline
Alevin

Loc: tri-cities
In my fishing career I have one memory of the hardest fighting fish I have been lucky enough to hook. I was steelhead fishing in August, on the Columbia River about 25 miles north of the Tri-Cities. I had bank fished this area many times before and knew the area pretty well. Early on a Saturday morning, my fishing bud and I decided to let our wives sleep in since they didn't quite have the fishing fever that we had acquired. We left the trailer and made our way down to the preferred hole on that stretch of river. To my surprise no one was there! "This never happens," I thought to myself. We both waded our way out a little ways and began casting. My lure of choice consisted of a green corkie with the added scent of hot pink-dyed shrimp.
I was running 10# test and 8# leader, my norm for most steelhead outings. My friend and I were enjoying routine conversation when on my fifth cast I felt a tap and reared back only to have my rod slam down and line start smoking off my reel. The Salmon (I'm assuming of course) took of like a sub and since the water I hooked him in was fairly shallow, he actually created a wake radiating from his body as he shot out from the bank. The old-familiar story of the having a nik in your line happened upon me that morning for the fish had not gone more than ten feet when SNAP!
I couldn't believe it. I was shaking and my friend's mouth was wide-open in shock. I haden't figured that the salmon might be in already, plus this fish was only twenty-five feet from shore. I'm sure it had moved in toward shore overnight. Anyway, after that I checked my line, knot, leader and drag to make sure that it didn't happen again. I hadn't casted more than five minutes when WHAM! It happend again this time I was a little more prepared. Same thing as before but he happened to make it past the ten foot mark this time. I didn't know what to do. My largest river fish ever was a 16# steelhead caught in the same stretch of river. The fish surfaced about fifty feet out and it was easily in the 40-50# class. I literally started to shake again and figured that my 10# test wouldn't last long. The fish headed downstream in the mighty Columbia and I had no choice but to follow. I was running down the bank with my reel screaming. Half a dozen fishermen were nice enough to pull in their lines to let me by as I fought this monster. The fish never stopped once to let my regain some of the line I had lost. My drag was not set super light. I felt like I was at the breaking point for my drag setting already. I followed the fish about 3/4 of a mile downstream. Hoping and praying that I might land this awesome fish, however, I also know that when a fish gets out that far, your chances are not good. As I passed the last fisherman, he commented on how I better stop the fish before he gets into that swifter water or I will definetely lose him. I won't tell you what I was going to say to that guy in regard to his comment. Something in the essence of "here you take the rod and try stopping him". Anyway, I came to a canal that was too deep to cross so I tightened my drag and hoped for some reason the fish might do a 180 and come right back at me, Of course you all know the rest TWANG, and that was that. I can't complain because I got to fight the fish for twenty-thirty minutes and it was a great fight. Before I got back to the trailer my wife had heard the news and met me at the river but she saw me from a ways off walking slowly with my head down. Oh well, that's fishing and we all love it. Sorry for such a long story. My only question to fellow anglers is this. Is there anything I could have done different to swing the outcome in my favor? Always good to know in case it ever happens again. Thanks for reading, BigDawg

#143517 - 03/07/02 02:38 AM Re: Your all-time best fighting fish?
RPetzold Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Everett, Wa
Memories involving great fights with fish usually end with me never putting a hand around their tail. frown

Oh well...I've got a couple differnt fish that stick out.

The first one came while I fishing the Stilly right around the 5th of July. To this day I dont know if it was one large 3-salt hatchery fish or a summer-run king.

A night or two before (4th of July), a tree, via dynamite/m-1000, had been blown up at the trunk and dropped into the river at the side from which I fished.

It made landing fish extremelly difficult because it was on the downstream side of where I hooked all my fish and to wade around it would require me to wade to my chin.

I hooked this fish and he cleaned my clock like no other fish has. In the process of stripping me deep into my backing, he had thrown 7 of the highest & longest jumps I have ever seen a fish jump. He serioulsy looked like a mini-sailfish out there and because I was waded up to my chest, the jumps seemed even higher and I felt even more powerless.

To make a long story short, I finally tired him enough to where I could control him. I did whatever I could to guide him around the tree but he refused.

I finally gave up and dipped my rod into the river as deep as I could to force him under the tree and under all the branches.

I thought I had him cleared when I felt the heartsinking dead weight of a heavy branch. He managed to catch the very last branch before freedom (death to him) and bust me off. mad

Trying to explain something like that is pretty much unexplainable and is never easy and I did a sh*tty job...did not do the fishes true power, speed and leaping ability any justice. frown

#143518 - 03/07/02 09:58 PM Re: Your all-time best fighting fish?
redsharks Offline
Fry

Loc: Puyallup.wa
Sometimes I wonder if you guys actually read some of these. I was on this board as godzilla but we bought a house in Puyallup and I couldn't get back on under my old login, so I reregistered under my boat name, redsharks. I noticed you guys tend to keep to your little groups but if you're interested, I caught a 200lb striped marlin with a 500 jig master 30lb test fought it for two minutes. It blew the drags and shattered the gears. Talk about hell at sea. I also caught a 150lb blue fin. That was the best fight of my life (so far). No salmon or steelehead could equal that anyday. Would like to get to know you guys better. We may see each other out on the rivers I'm the one with the red truck with a black roof rack. It would be good to talk to you guys in more depth than just this site. I usually fish on Fridays and Saturdays. See you out there.

#143519 - 03/07/02 10:31 PM Re: Your all-time best fighting fish?
trailrat77 Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: rowers seat
It must have been 1990 or 91 I was fishing for trout on the Mashel river. Throwing a Mepps spinner at he end of 4lb test on a U.L. rod. A fish hit it, hard, and took off down river. Reel screeming like mad as a summer was trying to end my day fishing by spooling me. Made an attempt to fight it but end up breaking it off.
The hardest fighting fish I've ever caught was this past Sept.. Casting a Buzzbomb from the beach underneath the Narrows bridge I hooked and landed a 22lb King. It made several water clearing leaps and a string of dolphin like jumps as it was ripping the 8lb line off my Sedona. I saw the bottom of my spool twice. 20 minute late she was beached. I'll never forget it.

#143520 - 03/07/02 11:11 PM Re: Your all-time best fighting fish?
Fish Jesus Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tacoma
Sweet dreams Godzilla...ah I mean Redshark. wink In mine anyways ! :p Would love to fight any one of those...ever tried Tarpon? The third fishstress of my dreams! Now you got me a little bummed about the sub 40 #ers I catch...but that's OK...I'll feel better once I get a little sleep. laugh

Your need to present an explanation for the moniker change makes you an honest man...a good thing...I'll BS with you! cool

Bankmag'n Hot Mid Teener Summerrun Freight Trains or the arial 8's on the hook and run in the day or night brings one thing to mind...shear pandemonium eek

Red, I'm just up the South Hill and around the corner a bit from Puyallup. Some are lead to believe that I don't work Fridays. wink I'll keep an eye out for Redshark...

FJ...out.

#143521 - 03/07/02 11:39 PM Re: Your all-time best fighting fish?
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Nisqually
Two years ago, I hooked into a 28lb King in the mouth of the Green just off Todd Shipyard. This fish spooled my ten pound test line for about a half an hour up stream. She took almost 200 yards of line off of my level line downrigger rod.
In the end we managed to bonk the King and had a photo session afterwards. It was unbelievable!! eek

#143522 - 03/08/02 10:08 AM Re: Your all-time best fighting fish?
Steelheadman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Poulsbo, WA,USA
I was standing around BS ing with a couple of Oreos, and having some whiskey, one hot afternoon. Our fishing buddy pulls up to give us a message that the girls called. He looks down into the tailout and sees this large fish. He says, I'm going to get that fish, grab your pole. He tries for 10 min and then I cast and fish on! This chrome summer hatchery buck jumps and then tears off downstream over the break to the next hole. I fought this fish for 20 minutes. I thought he was going to break off. My arm is really getting sore and I get some help landing him from one of the guys I was BS ing with. He gilled him and pulled his gill. The blood pumped out about 5 ft. I cleaned it and took a picture. I caught one that was larger a month later but it didn't put up as big a fight but I didn't take a picture. See the picture (May 1999 buck) on my homepage - www.netbyte.net/steelheadman

#143523 - 03/08/02 10:58 AM Re: Your all-time best fighting fish?
willierower Offline
Spawner

Loc: Albany OR
April 97, Rogue river springer.
We were anchored in a hog line with 4 other boats. Our boat was the second boat from the left bank if you were looking down stream. The sfish takes a spinner and when I grab the rod out of the rod holder the fish just sits on the bottom like a I hung up. I reel down and jerk up hard on the rod to see if I cant free my spinner from the "snag". Upon doing that the fish starts a slow run to the right and up stream. When this happens my buddy throws off the anchor line so we can drop down and fight the fish. As he is tossing off the anchor line the fish hits warp speed up river and to the right around the end boat in the hog line. Im using a Loomis HSR1025C (15 to 30#) With an Abu 6501 spooled with 50# Tuff Line with a 35# Maxixma UG leader. I try putting the skids to the fish but it just keeps going. Next thing we know is we have 75 yards of line out going over the top of 3 boats as the fish screams upriver as we are drifting down. It was a good thing the guys in the other boats were paying attention, The would grab my line and hold up over thier boats as the fish screamed on by. My buddy got the kicer motor fired up and tried to go out and around the 3 boats that were anchored to our right. The kicker wasnt strog enouh to get out and up stream so he had to fire up the 200 horse Yamaha and give chase. Once we got out around and upstream of everyone and I gained back a bunch line, the fish made a mad dash to its right peeling off another 50 yards of line beore beachin its self. Before we got a look at the fish we figured it was a hawg, It wasnt. It wieghed out at 25 lbs...... Anyways..... I figured the fish was whipped so I drug t back in the water planning to reel it to the boat. By this time we were just about where our anchor was set. When the fish got about 10 feet from the boat it made another run. This time it was downstream between the 2 boats we were anchored betwen. As the fish passed our anchor line he crossed over it and ripped on down river. At this point I figured it was gone because I couldnt feel it anymore due to the fact my line was over our anchor line by the float. When that happened my buddy killed the big motor and used the kicker to manuver the big 22' sled around our ancor line and between the 2 boats. As we passed the float untangled my line from and reeled up the slack to discover the fish was still on. The rest of the fight was pretty basic, Pum the fish in, net, apply wood shampoo and toss in fish box.

The coolest thing about the whole ordeal was, the 4 boats in the line with us were all guide boats with clients. I guess we gave them a pretty good show, because that night at dinner at a resturant someone was talking about it. The guy I was fishing with is a guide friend of mine that didnt have any clients that day.

Thats my most memorable battle with a fish. Another good one was short but exciting. I was on the upper drift on the south Santiam just below the put in. I dropped just below all the bankis and ran out the divers with sandshrimp. I made about 4 strokes on the oars when my rod gets slammed. I drop the oars, dup the anchor and grab the rod and set the hook. The summer steelead jumps once, runs strait at the boat jumping 4 times with the 4th time landingon the fly deck of my drift boat. My fishing partner had laid out all his stuff on the deck, it was now spread all over the boat by one pissed off still green thrashing steelhead. He grabs at the finally getting a hand on by the gills and punches it out. This all happened in about 20 seconds in front of about 30 people. We all got a good laugh out of that one.

#143524 - 03/08/02 12:09 PM Re: Your all-time best fighting fish?
HBP Offline
Spawner

Loc: Everett,Wa
Fishing Cabo in 96', we hooked a 130lb yellowtail that took 3hrs to land on 30lb test. 7 runs of 600yds,down to probably 100ft of line each time. 30 minutes to recover the line,just to watch it disapear in 60 sec. The Capt. wanted to cut him loose 3 times cause he said we couldn't land him. I'm glad he didn't, I wouldn't have the pictures or all those grilled tuna steaks, HMMM!

- no boss, no clock, no stress, no dress code...no shoes,no shirts, no problems. - Kenny Chesney -

#143525 - 03/09/02 02:31 AM Re: Your all-time best fighting fish?
Elkman Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Anchorage, AK U.S.A
My best fighting fish was 2/2/01 on a Aberdeen area river. We had just started floating that morning with my uncle, and my dad. We were all using custom built (by my uncle) 1141s, with matching Spirex reels, and 6 lb leaders. I hooked this fish in a slot in the middle of the river, and it proceeded to head up stream and jumped 3 feet out of the water. I proceed to fight the fish for the next 1/2 hour. We had to follow it for more than a 1/4 mile downriver. It turned out to be a gorgous 20lb hatchery buck. laugh

Guess who got to row the rest of the way. It was worth it.

Ryan

Elkman

#143526 - 03/09/02 07:38 PM Re: Your all-time best fighting fish?
ROEBOAT Offline
Fry

Loc: kent
Used to fish on a commercial boat in Hawaii. The worst fish ever to battle was a 900 + pound (16 footer)marlin. I see the fisherman in shows grab the rod and get in the fighty chair. This fish took the 130 lb. rig 16/0 senator and bent the rod double. Pick up that rod and you are water skiing. It burned the washers out of the reel so it smelled like burning oil with big black clouds pouring out. Ran off over a quarter mile of line on the opening run. It was akin to fighting a Volkswagen.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1083 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645291 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |