Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#143603 - 03/06/02 11:01 PM New Orleans/Louisiana Fishing
RipDatLip Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Battle Ground, WA
Help me out here guys/gals. Our family is taking a "family" vacation in the last week of April. What are all the types of fishing available, and can anyone recommend guides, etc? I know bass fishing exists... what else? This is my first step to finding who's who. Suggestions?

Matt

#143604 - 03/07/02 12:01 AM Re: New Orleans/Louisiana Fishing
RockLizard Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Lakewood, WA
Not from there but here they hve some pretty good Redfish action. Used to fish for them when I lived in Fla. Check it out, some of em get up there in size, comparable to salmon/steel. If your a fly angler they have been known to take a fly or two, otherwise shrimp always did the trick for me.
Tight Lines
RL

They can have my eggs when they pry em from cold dead hands

#143605 - 03/07/02 12:29 AM Re: New Orleans/Louisiana Fishing
Big T Offline
Smolt

Loc: Snohomish
I fished out of houston texas and I think lousiana is alot like it I fished for Redfish and speckled trout and it was fun , I'm going back in june and were gonna fish for yellowfin tuna out of venice LA, the way to fish for specks' and reds' is fairly easy and alot of fun because you catch fish all day, as far as contacts go I don't have any I fished with family but I know there are plenty there, have fun!

#143606 - 03/07/02 07:32 AM Re: New Orleans/Louisiana Fishing
hawk Offline
Spawner

Loc: austin, Minnesota, USA
I was born an raised down in Reserve Louisiana, and my Dad has fished the marshes for the last 50 years. Fishing should be pretty good at that time, as this is right before the brown shrimp start to come in the estuaries.

You should be able to catch Speckled trout (weakfish) and some reds. Places to fish out of would be Bayou Bienvenue, Lake Borne (at the Castle), Industrial Canal near the hot water slip, Seabrook on Lake Pancahatrain, Delacroix Island, Violet, or out of Venice Louisiana. I would imagine that you would be using shiners (small shad), Shad Rigs, or Sparkle beetles under a popping cork to catch your fish. If you are looking for a guide, I would do a search for Louisian Redfish on the net, and try to hook up that way. You'll need a boat to fish. Good luck, and you'll find that the Louisiana Marsh is a beautiful sight at sunrise. Good Luck

#143607 - 03/07/02 02:57 PM Re: New Orleans/Louisiana Fishing
Hohwaiian Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Seattle, Washington, US
Two words "Chandeleur Islands" hire a guide and fish it. Otherwise I had a good guide experience out at Shell Beach, about a 45 min drive from New Orleans. Watch out for the biting flies though! Notice I emphasized, hiring a guide, because an 3-day out-of-state license is about $80. But if you hire a guide, out-of-staters get a substantial price break. New Orleans also has good fishing right in the city at Lake Ponchatrain. The best fishing is at night dunking chunks of shrimp along the lighted shorelines for trout, drum and sheepshead. Try snelling in a few strands of SparkleFlash on your baitholder for added attraction. If you don't like messing with bait, just cast and retrieve cacahoes or beetle spins.

peace out.....................................

#143608 - 03/07/02 04:24 PM Re: New Orleans/Louisiana Fishing
tvhosts Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Everett, WA USA
We did a show out of Lafitte Harbor in Louisiana with Phil Robichaux and he's top notch all the way around (and funnier than a barrel full of monkeys too).
http://www.rodnreel.com/captphil/

K

#143609 - 03/07/02 04:50 PM Re: New Orleans/Louisiana Fishing
hawk Offline
Spawner

Loc: austin, Minnesota, USA
Hey Ho:

Don't ya just luv dem dere cocohoe minnuws. So you're one of the pier rats fishing dead shrimp at Seabrook or on the walls at Ponchatrain!!!

Live shrimp is the only way to go. You can catch all your live bait throwing right off the walls with a cast net when the brownies come in.

For a good time, go to Grand Island and fish off the surf at night for specks. Giggin flounder is fun too.

#143610 - 03/08/02 01:10 AM Re: New Orleans/Louisiana Fishing
RipDatLip Offline
Returning Adult

A redfish, just a giant red carp, right?

There are so many guides, how do I decide? Why is it so expensive?

Wow, lots of suggestions. Why redfish, more fight better chances of catching fish?

Matt

#143611 - 03/08/02 02:45 AM Re: New Orleans/Louisiana Fishing
RockLizard Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Lakewood, WA
Reds are no carp, very tasty. And the fight is very respectable...especially if you hook into one of them bulls. Dont know if they have snook in that neck of the woods, but if they do try them as well.
Tight Lines and enjoy that weather.
RL

They can have my eggs when they pry em from cold dead hands

#143612 - 03/09/02 09:49 PM Re: New Orleans/Louisiana Fishing
RipDatLip Offline
Returning Adult

Any more guys? I'm still working on figuring out how to choose a guide. This is not as easy as I thought it would be researching this info. Free okies, glo-gos, and pentac for anyone who... j/k. laugh

Matt

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
free time, greenlayoid, Kokanee Kids, Lisa Tyree, SpinyRay
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 927 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645426 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |