Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#143979 - 03/09/02 12:21 AM FLUOROCARBON LINE
Woodie Offline
Eyed Egg

Loc: Puyallup
I have always been a fan of Max Ultra Green for both main line & leaders. But after talking to one of my fishing buddies this weekend, who also guides on the coast rivers, I am re-thinking my leader choice. He stated that his clients hook up 30% more when he switched to a fluorocarbon leader. Does anyone have any comments on this stuff. laugh

#143980 - 03/09/02 12:30 AM Re: FLUOROCARBON LINE
ROCKFISH Offline
Spawner

Loc: manchester,Wa
I've only used 2 kinds, berkely vanish was not good for tying knots I thought. didn't like it at all. got some sea guar floro from cabelas for leader for fly fishing the sound and it works killer. sea guar is probly your best bet. Ben

#143981 - 03/09/02 12:44 AM Re: FLUOROCARBON LINE
pimpinshrimp Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: whatcom county
I tried vanish too and it sucked. The knots just pulled out.

#143982 - 03/09/02 12:48 AM Re: FLUOROCARBON LINE
Never Enough Nookie Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Bremerton
I have two spools of vanish that I bought for tying up leaders 10 and 20 pound. I will never use these again and would not give them to my worst enemy, except in a derby. I did not get out much at all for stealhead this year and the one good chance I had I spent most of the day tying new leaders on because the Vanish was so brittle, it broke on every little snag, lost at least three fish to it too. mad mad mad Moral, don't use vanish for anything.

NEN cool

#143983 - 03/09/02 12:52 AM Re: FLUOROCARBON LINE
Fishslayer75 Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Auburn
I agree 110% with Rockfish

#143984 - 03/09/02 01:46 AM Re: FLUOROCARBON LINE
JacobF Offline
Spawner

Loc: Post Falls, ID
There's a special version of the clinch knot you can tie with Vanish that greatly improves its knot strength. Also, don't use anything less than 14 lb test. I've been able to pull out numerous snags and have landed several fish with it.

#143985 - 03/09/02 01:55 AM Re: FLUOROCARBON LINE
fromcuthroattosteelies Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: olympia
I'll tell ya what....Vanish is indeed crap. Try Stren's version if youy MUST have flourocarbon line. Heard that people catch more fish on flourocarbon too. Funny, I seem to do just as well as the guys throwing that "invisible" line when I'm using Ultragreen. People probably say they catch more fish than they did last year because they are 1 more year experienced. The year after they'll say that they caught 60% more. Experience counts.....Not leader.... I'll never switch from Max UG. Love the stuff.

#143986 - 03/09/02 05:18 AM Re: FLUOROCARBON LINE
Metalhead Mojo Offline
Spawner

Loc: Browns Point
i used vanish for most of my leaders in the salt this past summer/fall for salmon and i never had one break on me when it shouldn't. the only thing about vanish is that it is one of the softer lines out there so when im trolling herring i use maxima UG for a leader since its stiffer and resists twisting better than most others.

#143987 - 03/09/02 07:12 AM Re: FLUOROCARBON LINE
RiverMan Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: oregon
You might consider the abrasion rating for fluoros before using them. They generally fail miserably in abrasion tests and for that reason are a poor choice, particularly for leader material. The line test showed Seaguar for example breaking after just 25 cycles while stren original in the same poundage (just one example) took 1295 of the same cycles to break the line! It's something to think about. Good luck!

RM

#143988 - 03/09/02 08:47 AM Re: FLUOROCARBON LINE
ltlCLEO Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: brownsville wa.
I tried vanish and threw it away for all the same reasons.Garbage!!!

I used to be a firm belever that fish were leader shy and tried to argue the point in case with my favorite author.He contended that they could care less what was tied to your hook within reason.We were talking about the fish in my homeport specificaly.I walked away thinking what a numbskull laugh A year later I was using bright yellow 30lb super braid of some sort for summerruns.That was the discusion with Bill that convinced me I had alot to learn before I ever question that man.

I guess I am wondering why one would want to use a lesser leader when in most cases it isn't going to matter what ya use? confused

#143989 - 03/09/02 08:58 AM Re: FLUOROCARBON LINE
Banock Offline
Parr

Loc: Oakville, Wa.
I have tried a lot of different lines and continually go back to Stren, it seems like it is more sensitive and the strength is there when you need it. Just a personal opinion, but it works for me.
Banock

#143990 - 03/09/02 12:38 PM Re: FLUOROCARBON LINE
baitslinger Offline
Parr

Loc: snoho. co.
flourocarbon for slurpers in May @lk. Chopaka. Maxima chameleon mainline Maxima UG for leader for steelhead/salmon. You can't go wrong.

#143991 - 03/09/02 07:29 PM Re: FLUOROCARBON LINE
ROEBOAT Offline
Fry

Loc: kent
Ditto on the Vanish. It is truly the worst line I have ever used!

#143992 - 03/14/02 12:54 PM Re: FLUOROCARBON LINE
chrome/22 Offline
Captain C/22 - Team Stay Up Right!

Loc: Hurricane Ridge , Wa.
Woodie, if you really want to go the fluorocarbon route check this one out. Invisiline from Sufix- " Invisiline is nearly invisible in water, sinks faster than nylon, with high shock strength and exceptional abrasion resistant properties" comes in weights starting @ 4 lb. then 6-8-10-12-15-20 and all the way to 425 lb. test, for those really big line-shy nates!!! W-site is www.sufix.com or ph. 1-800-554-1423....Man I should go into sales!! cool cool

#143993 - 03/15/02 02:30 AM Re: FLUOROCARBON LINE
JR32 Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: shelton wa
Some thing to think about with flourocarbon is that it does not biodegrade very well if at all. So just remember that that leader you just left on the bottom is going to be there for a loooooooong time.

#143994 - 03/15/02 01:34 PM Re: FLUOROCARBON LINE
bigb8bigfish Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: seattle,wa
Say Woodie, depending on the type of fishing you do, flourocarbon lines can be the better. I do alot of salt/salmon action, but don't troll hardware and presentation is everything in mooching, its a must. True vanish is everything that everyone is saying about it, haven't lost a fish due to knot or abrasion problems, but have had many more hookups and my method of fishing hasn't changed.(hard to change long time habits) Stren (as told by a prominent figure at Sport Co. and used in the field) has worked for me for river presentation and hasn't failed me yet. Like regular mono, I change my leader on a frequent basis, (as I was taught when younger). Another characteristic problem I've encountered is that vanish is not that forgiving an that if you really give a good heeve-hooo on a hook set, you can pop the leader. I've always matched my main line to my leader and that should be in every situation....... wink Any ways hope this might give you some insights and more hookups. Got to go down to the sportsmen show........

---------------

"DO THE WILD THANG"

P.S. Just gotta try it and see 4 yur self...

#143995 - 03/17/02 02:49 AM Re: FLUOROCARBON LINE
OregonBankie Offline
Parr

Loc: Beaverton, Oregon, USA
I tried Vanish on Sockeyes in Alaska. After snapping off two fish in a row right in the middle of the leader, I threw Vanish out.

#143996 - 03/19/02 11:34 PM Re: FLUOROCARBON LINE
Fishslayer75 Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Auburn
Attention to those of you who care to help me out on the H20/Vision (mis-understanding)? After reading back over the post made on this thread I'm not seeing a hole lot of difference? Here we are fisherman posting our experence w/ a brand used.We for the most part are BASHING this brand. There is no one saying anything about this? Why! rolleyes

#143997 - 03/20/02 03:31 AM Re: FLUOROCARBON LINE
Metalhead Mojo Offline
Spawner

Loc: Browns Point
because vision doesnt make line???

#143998 - 03/20/02 10:44 AM Re: FLUOROCARBON LINE
Buzzo Offline
Parr

Loc: Albany, OR
I've used the 12lb stren and cabelas fluorocarbons this season with good success, matched with 10 lb mono main or 25 lb braided main. You just can't use it with jigs, because the knot always slips down after the first snag and then you're fishing a vertical jig, which is no good. The knots won't re-cinch like mono.

HT

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Dick laxton, Lil Blue Sled, Lil Red Sled, Solash, The Moderator, WeServe
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1216 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645377 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |