Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#144114 - 03/09/02 06:07 PM Ideal bay boat
DM Offline
Smolt

Loc: WASHINGTON
My old man and I are looking to buy a bay boat confused are luck with friends has run out, so I was wondering what all you guys prefer. Advice much appreciated smile

thanks in advance

#144115 - 03/10/02 11:11 AM Re: Ideal bay boat
Bigdog2250 Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Stanwood,Wa
Olympic and GlasPly with the deep V hulls are very popular on the Sound.They have a good ride in the chop that we get here.Both hulls are solidly built, so even a boat built in the 70's or 80's is not too old.The deep V is the thing to look for.
I would try to find 18' to 21' hull only and buy a new( or proffesionally rebuilt) motor.You are probably buying a bad motor anyway if there is one on the boat.Put on as many horses as the boat is rated for.You may need them someday.
I have a 16' Glasply.It handles fine but I would like some more deck space.
Around 20' seems to take the chop in the Sound the best.The difference between my 16' and my buddy's 19' is amazing.I think he is just long enough to be on two waves all the time while I'm hitting every one.
Hope this helps.Bigdog out.....

#144116 - 03/10/02 12:36 PM Re: Ideal bay boat
Chuckn'Duck Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: West of Eden
I have the 18 foot Olympic, 1988 model. Works great in lousey conditions. I'd go up a few feet for more room, have an Evinrude 88 special on it. Boat will do 38mph, rides great in the slop, got caught out of Westport last August when the wind unpredictably kicked up to 35 NW and put up a 5 foot windchop on the bar. Scary ride, but the hull was deep enough that it handled fine and would not porpise over the backsides of the steep chop. Dad bought it in Oak Harbor for fishing the sound and loved it till he quit fishing.

#144117 - 03/10/02 12:51 PM Re: Ideal bay boat
RRR Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: (Tacoma native),San Diego WA, ...
If you can afford it the SeaSports are one heck of a nce boat!! They're kinda pricey and also somewhat hard to find a used one (possibly cuz there such good boats.) Talk to the folks @ island marine:
(Island Marine Center, Inc.
Ron Meng
Fisherman Bay Road
Lopez Island, WA 98261
(360)468-3377 F-(360)468-2283
SeaSport, Yamaha)

The above reccomendations are right on as far as Olympic and Glassply. Lottsa luck and be safe out there in that new boat.

Sincerely,
Roger

VERY Homesick in San Diego

#144118 - 03/10/02 04:11 PM Re: Ideal bay boat
Grass Hopper Offline
Smolt

Loc: Woodinville,Wa
Price?? Size? Trailer?? How far do you plan to run?? Sleeping?? Tell me more??

#144119 - 03/10/02 06:19 PM Re: Ideal bay boat
DM Offline
Smolt

Loc: WASHINGTON
Thanks for info guys,
Grasshopper we plan to just go out in it for a day at a time and it should be in the 20' range with a nice trailer. were not sure how much we want to spend yet but what ever we do spend it wont be outragouse.
eek
thanks again smile

#144120 - 03/10/02 08:00 PM Re: Ideal bay boat
ET Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Tacoma
Great advice so far. If you are only going out on day trips, the 17' Arima is a solid boat with great local support. The factory is in Auburn and the guys there will help you with any question you may have no matter how old your boat is. The most important thing is the motor though. A "new" boat with an unreliable motor is a piece of junk and an "old" boat with a good motor is a great ride. If you have to choose, spend your $ on the motor first!

#144121 - 03/10/02 10:01 PM Re: Ideal bay boat
Pitch Pocket Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Portland, OR
Island Marine doesn't represent SeaSport anymore. Owners of Boondocks Boats & Motors bought the company and they are the sales agents in the Pac NW. Island still gets some used ones though.

I take delivery on a 24' SeaSport Explorer this week and agree, they are one of the best boats in the NW for deep water "it'll get you back" boats.

I'm drooling.

Look for me in deep water.

#144122 - 03/10/02 11:42 PM Re: Ideal bay boat
jcw Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Chehalis, Wa, USA
Always get a complete compression check and have a GOOD mechanic check the outdrive. I did just that last year and bought a '79 19.5' GlasPly that I found in Boat Buyer magazine. The compression was perfect, the outdrive was perfect, and the wiring was garbage. Paid $3800 and about $1500 later have a great old boat. I'd like to have a new trailer this year but otherwise am very happy. Fished the Columbia out of Kalama and out of Warrington to five miles offshore, Grays Harbor, Point Defiance, etc.

If you are looking for a newer rig then the afore mentioned Arima and Sportcraft get my vote.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Cam, FisherJoe, Gettin-It-Wet, Krijack, Steelheadstalker
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1450 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |