THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#145307 - 03/15/02 05:57 PM Why people pack heat?
Coho Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Muk
(I know this one has been on the board before-but its high time.)

Or should I say guys that cant fight. Amazes me that guys think they need to pack a gun on the river. Definately a sign that the guy is a wuss. Makes for a guy to be all talk --"Im not scared of "so n so" I have a gun"

If you need to pack a gun go hunting.

thats all I have to say about that cool

#145308 - 03/15/02 06:12 PM Re: Why people pack heat?
Doc Strangelove Offline
Eyed Egg

Loc: Vancouver, WA
The reason is very simple.

1. We have the right to pack.
2. An armed society is a polite society.
3. The ability and willingness to fight is usually related to blood alcohol levels and personality disorders.
4. Fist fights are more likely to get you killed than backing out of a situation with your hand on a holstered gun.

Call me a wuss but I will live alot longer as an armed wuss. And I usually don't even pack. Doc

#145309 - 03/15/02 06:16 PM Re: Why people pack heat?
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
I don't fight. I must be a wuss. But, being the wuss that I am, I don't go around looking for trouble or fights on the river. I mostly go there to fish and get away from yahoos that think they are not wusses.

Won't say either way if I pack heat or not. Not too sure I'd recommend anyone taking a swing at me, though. wink

#145310 - 03/15/02 06:58 PM Re: Why people pack heat?
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
Nice post Coho. rolleyes Trolling??

I do pack, I don't pick fights (last time I got into a fight was in 6th grade and I didn't start it), and I've had to pull my weapon twice. Once as a civilian, once as an officer. No shots fired, both guys went to jail for a long time. Much better than me being dead for a longer time.

Are there some boneheads out there who shouldn't pack. HELL YES! The same can be said for drivers who shouldn't drive, boaters who shouldn't boat, fishermen who should take up needle point, and some members of internet chat boards who should just stay on the sidelines and not bring up such inflamatory posts. wink

I have a great attitude towards life, but I also take full responsibility for my safety, and my family's safety. Prepare for the worst, hope for the best. That's my attitude.

I don't want to return to my rig when some tweaker is breaking into it and not obey the first rule of a gun fight. Bring a gun.

Maybe you should take a look at how you view life. Instead of knocking someone for a choice they make, worry about yourself. Must be the Liberterian in me rising to the surface. Don't tread on me, and I won't tread on you.

There is a great deal of responsibility that goes along with carrying. I accept it, and I don't look down on folks who choose not to carry.

Have a nice, and I wish you well.

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#145311 - 03/15/02 07:20 PM Re: Why people pack heat?
Fish_Slayer Offline
Alevin

Loc: Lynnwood
Very well said dogfish i agree 100%

#145312 - 03/15/02 07:21 PM Re: Why people pack heat?
Fishslayer75 Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Auburn
As you know if you want to pack its your right. But sitting back thinking about how many times I've seen a gun out on the river. None. I wear my helmet and steel armor while at blue creek, I see the additudes fly, but even those who are packing are not waving them around. As for 99%+ you couldn't tell if they were or not, unless its one of those big Dirty Harry jobs eek Just my .02

#145313 - 03/15/02 07:23 PM Re: Why people pack heat?
Krome Brite Offline
Spawner

Loc: Washougal, WA
Let me just ask those of you who do carry firearms WHERE THE HELL YOU FISH!! Hopefully not the same places I do! I certainly wouldn't feel safe fishing around any of you, knowing that at any time you could pull it out on me and take me out if I did something that pissed you off. Now, I can totally see packing heat into the deep wilderness fishing areas where you could be stalked by a cougar, etc. But, what business do you have bringing something like that down to the local river or lake? Just gonna bust a cap on whoever picks on you? Don't get me wrong, I'm no "take away the guns from the citizens" person. I believe everyone has a right to own a gun if they want to. But to bring the damn thing fishing with you? What's the world coming to. frown

#145314 - 03/15/02 07:23 PM Re: Why people pack heat?
Crayfin Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Beaverton
I'm with Dogfish

Excellent answer and a thoughtful response

#145315 - 03/15/02 07:34 PM Re: Why people pack heat?
Krome Brite Offline
Spawner

Fishing's supposed to be fun isn't it? Maybe I'm just very opinionated on this subject because I've witnessed one of these 'bad situations'. If I remember right, a guy's fish was stolen and he blamed another guy for stealing it. When the other guy said he hadn't touched the fish, the first guy pulled a .45 pistol out of his jacket and stroked it. Stupid. Totally f*cking stupid. What are people thinking! Luckily nothing happend that day, but something could have. This same type of situation could happen again in the future and what if this time the guy with the gun is a little more steamed and doesn't think before he does something. Then what. "One goes to the morgue and the other's in jail." frown Sad.

#145316 - 03/15/02 07:43 PM Re: Why people pack heat?
Downriggin Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Marine Area 13
A lot of debate can come from this post...

Personally I don't pack unless I am in Alaska or remote B.C. (bears). However, there were a few times I wish I had here in Washington.

1) I have seen my truck broke into while returning from the river. Nothing I could do. 2 to 1 situation.

2) I was fly fishing for Chums in a well-known estuary and some idiot was casting Buzz Bombs 100 feet in 3 feet of water (snagging for sure). The BBs kept landing within 2-3 feet of me each time. I tactfully approached the individual and politely asked him to be more thoughtful and careful. I moved to a different location and within 5 minutes he was standing in front of me- same thing. I approached him again... he said next time something comes out of my piss flaps, he was going to kick my a$$... Instead of round 3, I left for the parking lot. Called WFG and reported the snagging and incident...was told to call the local law enforcement. Apparently, there is nothing WFG can/will do for snagging Chums with BBs. Law enforcement never showed!

.... would you approach an individual(s) who wasn't within the regs without heat? One never knows what the other guy is like..

I, for one, will always walk away from a physical confrontation before starting one (unless I have no choice). Doesn't make me a wuss... However, I would be a little more confident approaching the matter with more of a well place tone if I was packing.

Downriggin'

Puget Sound Anglers, Gig Harbor Chapter

#145317 - 03/15/02 07:51 PM Re: Why people pack heat?
Coot22 Offline
Alevin

Loc: P-Town, OR
KB,

I agree that it is a shame that some people have to pack heat while fishing. That being said...My fishing partner carries and I have no problem with it! None! I know that he is safe. Just like Dogfish said...some people shouldnt pack just like some people shouldnt be boaters or drivers. I know that it is on a different scale...obviously. He and I never muscle our way into spots with it! That would not be tolerated whatsoever, it would be reported in a second! However, There have been times when people loose their cool and start getting very upset and somehow regain control of themselves as soon as they see the S&W revolver on his hip. Amazing huh? We do not usually have to say a word...for some odd reason they tend to let things be and all of a sudden we are friends again! What right do we have to bring a gun with us down to the 'ol fishing hole...The Second Ammendment...that's what right we have!
Also, I sure as heck wished that I had a sidearm when some A-Hole broke into my Jeep while I was fishing and took all of my fishing gear from the back! I dont think that he would have run too far if a gun was pointed at him...and I have every right to do that!
KB, this isnt just geared towards you, I apologize if it sounds like it...not my intent...it is intended for all of the Nay-Sayers. The day I turn 21 I am getting a handgun...and I will be packing on the river...but I believe that it is MY responsibility to be educated on my handgun so I will have taken ALL of the classes before I make that purchase.
I do wonder of course though if someone else is carrying a sidearm, are they as safe and as careful as I am? I sure hope so!!! My humble opinion.

-Coot

#145318 - 03/15/02 08:12 PM Re: Why people pack heat?
desertdrifter Offline
Smolt

Loc: richland
Guns are for killing.If you hunt great, good for you.I dont think any of us have the power to decide who should die.YOU DO HAVE THE RIGHT!and I do not think that right should be taken away I would fight for that,but hand guns have one use,to kill other people, what kind of a jack ars needs one to go fishing!!!!!

#145319 - 03/15/02 08:16 PM Re: Why people pack heat?
Wernergonefishin Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Chehalis Wa
Ive seen many poeple down on the cowlitz packen heat that,s there choice I personaly only in my boat, when Im fishing from the shore ive got enough stuff to be packing around{fish that is}.
Ive never had to pull nor do I ever want to Im there to fish and have a good time. But if the time should arise I will do what it takes to protect my family and I.

#145320 - 03/15/02 08:21 PM Re: Why people pack heat?
Krome Brite Offline
Spawner

Yes, I guess I can see it now. Having a gun with you while fishing is showing who's the boss. Lookee here everybody, I got a gun, who's the man now? Kind of like beating the crap out of that poor fat kid on the playground back in the 4th grade, wouldn't you say. Makes a lot of sense. Again, nothing personal.

#145321 - 03/15/02 08:29 PM Re: Why people pack heat?
Jett'in Fool Offline
Parr

Loc: Vancouver
Most individuals that have concealed weapons permits never pull out their gun. We are educated in What is lawful and right. The redneck that pulls it out to show power or intimidation? This is why I conceal while out fishing.
I hope in my life time I never have to pull my gun, But when I do it will be to save my life or maybe yours.
Tight Lines

Fool

#145322 - 03/15/02 08:35 PM Re: Why people pack heat?
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Nisqually
I usually carry only when I am fishing far from home.

You normally will not see people waving guns on the river because the rule is "if you have to pull it you should use it".

Heck, my gun has come in handy more times at the ATM machine than any other time. I love it when people (bums) appear out of no where just after you take money out of the ATM machine.

#145323 - 03/15/02 08:40 PM Re: Why people pack heat?
bardo Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: union wa
i am personaly against handguns for my own use.I think they are generally speaking very dangerous.if you are capable of safely caring one, then by all means have at it. I've fished with lots of guys, including dogfish, that pack. i have no problem with that. i always carry a rifle in remote areas for survival purposes, because i think they are much more effective.
the best way to avoid confrontations with rude fishermen is to fish where there are no people.

#145324 - 03/15/02 08:44 PM Re: Why people pack heat?
otis Offline
Alevin

Loc: Mount Vernon
Coho, I pack a tater gun!

#145325 - 03/15/02 08:58 PM Re: Why people pack heat?
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
KB,

Reasoning with you on this situation may be like a hunter trying to sway a PeTA person into going out on a duck hunt, but I love challenge.

I am sorry that you ran into a jerk. Okay? Most responsible folks keep their firearm concealed. You wouldn't know if I was packin', even if I were dressed in shorts and a t-shirt.

Anybody who uses a drawn firearm as a way to intimidate someone else is a criminal. That is unless the one carrying the firearm percieves the person they pull it on to be an immediate threat to their life, or the lives of those in their immediate vicinty, or they believe that person is about to cause them grave bodily harm.

It is lawfull for folks to carry a firearm while fishing, no concealment necessary, but again, with most of us you would never know we had a gun.

The best way to diffuse a situation is to walk away. Downriggin was on the money. No fish is worth someone's life, but there are times when you can no longer walk away. I've been there twice, and I'm still here because I had a pistol.

Anybody who does carry, and invites confrontation should not carry. Folks who would walk away, they have the right attitude.

So in some ways we agree. Jerks should not carry, but not all who carry are jerks. These folks who are jerks are the exception. The reason you don't hear about the rest of us is because we're not the exception, we are the rule.

Andy

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#145326 - 03/15/02 08:59 PM Re: Why people pack heat?
Thumper Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Dogfish --- Yeah, like he said. Smart guy.

Please join CCA. After only 18 months total Pacific Northwest membership is over 7,000. We need you!

The walls of death have got to go!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1098 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645291 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |